Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga (18000 Views)

Buhari’s Policies Are ‘Mere Propaganda’ – Buba Galadima, APC BoT Member / Nigerians Misinterpreted Me – Bayo Onanuga, NAN MD Reacts To Backlash / Angry Nigerians Blast Bayo Onanuga Over Insensitive Post (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by soldierkunle: 9:33pm On Sep 06, 2016
The Managing Director of the News Agency of Nigeria, Bayo Onanuga, has come under fire after accusing the Nigerian media of embellishing reports about the country’s economic crisis that has left families struggling to survive.
Mr. Onanuga accused the media of “over-sensationalization”, and said reports about hardship appeared to be a “mere propaganda”, inflamed by those who lost the 2015 election.
In a Facebook post Tuesday, Mr. Onanuga said his findings showed that the cost of food items had not gone up, contrary to reports in the media.
“I was in Bauchi and Jos at the weekend, I also found that food was cheap everywhere,” said Mr. Onanuga, who appointed by President Muhammadu Buhari last May.
“In our hotel, we paid about N700 for a plate of semovita, or eba with a choice of cat fish or chicken.
“On the roadside, I found to my surprise that with just N1000, I bought over 50 oranges, two giant water melon and 10 pieces of sweet potato.
“I had experienced a similar thing in the market at Abuja, where I found that with N1, 400, I could make a big vegetable soup, with tomato, pepper and roasted Titus fish.
“Are the media and bloggers really painting a correct image of our country? It’s time for the media to objectively conduct a reality check about our reports, whether we are not over sensationalising so-called hardship that we talked about.”
Mr. Onanuga also faulted recent media reports that due to the grinding hardship, foreign airlines fly almost empty out of Nigeria.
“My daughter was on the Virgin Atlantic Flight that took off from Lagos to London today,” he said.
“I asked her to find out whether the plane was filled up or going to London near empty judging by the noisy campaign from a section of the country about the ‘hardship’ in our country.
“My daughter sent back this one-line text, after boarding: “daddy, the flight was filled up o.
“This makes me to wonder whether all the seeming orchestrated campaign in the media was not mere propaganda to make the Buhari regime look really bad.”
A respected journalist, Mr. Onanuga was among those who confronted the tyranny of military rule in Nigeria in the 1980s and 1990s. He suffered persecution during the Sani Abacha dictatorship and fled the country in December 1997.
Before his appointment as head of NAN, Mr. Onanuga, a multiple award winning publisher, editor, and reporter, was the chief executive officer of The News/PM News.
His comments Tuesday drew scathing criticisms from his online followers on Tuesday, with some readers asking him to take down the post.
One user, Adeyemi Adeniyi, described Mr. Onanuga’s comments as “plain insensitive”.
“Mr. Onanuga certainly does not belong here in the world of Nigerians who daily toil and yet groan under excruciating hardship,” he wrote.
Victor Ojelabi suggested the NAN MD’s account had been hacked. “Someone should please inform him,” Mr. Ojelabi.
Mr. Onanuga confirmed to PREMIUM TIMES that he authored the post. Again, he suggested that the claim of hardship was politically motivated.
But he said he merely posed a question, and had not taken a definite position on the issue.
“I am not saying there’s no problem in our country, but some of the things are exaggerated. I just raised a kind of intervention to ask are these things really true,” Mr. Onanuga told PREMIUM TIMES. “I have seen photographs of children suffering from kwashiorkor and they are passing them off as what’s happening in Nigeria.
Mr. Onanuga said he was not surprised by the criticisms that followed his post.
“Some people have taken position. Some people who lost election in 2015 are still behaving as if they were still campaigning. If you look at some of criticisms, they appear to be coming from a particular section of the country persistently and consistently,” he said.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/209940-reports-of-hardship-in-nigeria-mere-propaganda-nan-chief-onanuga.html

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by HungerBAD: 9:36pm On Sep 06, 2016
True.

It has now become the pastime of those, who have failed personally in life to attribute it to Buhari.

Your personal failings was not caused by this Government,so check yourself.

If in 2016,you are educated and still blaming Buhari for you not succeeding in life then (A)Change your Job (B)Change your lifestyle (C)Change your cycle and environment (D)Change your friends

And

(E) Go to your village to beg them to leave you alone.

Buhari has nothing to do with your sufferings.

32 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by pilotab55(m): 9:41pm On Sep 06, 2016
Dog na go chop dat ur mouth.

42 Likes

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by benega: 9:42pm On Sep 06, 2016
May amadioha rearange that ur oblong head with his thor hammer. EDIOT.

151 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by WebSurfer(m): 9:44pm On Sep 06, 2016
What nonsense is this man talking about?

Does he really stay in Nigeria or authoring these stories from Overseas

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by AntiWailer: 9:50pm On Sep 06, 2016
Yes it is blown out of proportion.

I read Fuel is to be increased but i bought fuel for 140 naira per litre today.

We read how a man jumped from a tall building because of hardship in Nigeria it appears the man jumped in Uganda on our behalf.

We heard another one commited suicide, meanwhile investigation showed he was killed and a rope was arranged to cover up the murder.

They talk as if there is no longer light in Nigeria, infact some one wrote how there was no light in Lagos.

The times are hard but MAGNIFYING it to favour PDP and the rogues who are just bent on escaping prosecution will be to the detriment of the common masses.

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by Fyno: 10:10pm On Sep 06, 2016
AntiWailer:
Yes it is blown out of proportion.

I read Fuel is to be increased but i bought fuel for 140 naira per litre today.

We read how a man jumped from a tall building because of hardship in Nigeria it appears the man jumped in Uganda on our behalf.

We heard another one commited suicide, meanwhile investigation showed he was killed and a rope was arranged to cover up the murder.

They talk as if there is no longer light in Nigeria, infact some one wrote how there was no light in Lagos.

The times are hard but MAGNIFYING it to favour PDP and the rogues who are just bent on escaping prosecution will be to the detriment of the common masses.
your on point brother, I even bought a Bag of Rice at #8000 at shoprite owerri today while they keep saying its #20000.
NNPC near my HUX dey sell kerosene at #35 a liter,one paint of garri is #250,Yam 100 a tuber even idomie super park is now #650 a carton.
PDP wants to rubbish our grandfather just because he's old

229 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by Nobody: 10:17pm On Sep 06, 2016
May be he is not in Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by chachanga: 10:20pm On Sep 06, 2016
He needs to leave his comfort zone and come to our side where that 1400 will hardly buy enough pepper for stew!

PL side is still technically part of the Central Nigeria Food Belt now? And ABUJA is a dumping hub!

Other areas are not faring so much better. Hasty generalizations and verbal diarrhea are unsuited to a public officer of his calibre.

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by Aufbauh(m): 10:35pm On Sep 06, 2016
Mr.Onanuga aptly captured the scenario.

"Some people have taken position. Some people who lost election in 2015 are still behaving as if they were still campaigning. If you look at some of criticisms, they appear to be coming from a particular section of the country persistently and consistently".

While there is no doubt that there is hardship in the land,most often it is exaggerated by naysayers and those who feels that they have a point to prove that we voted the wrong person.

11 Likes

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by Branzy(m): 10:46pm On Sep 06, 2016
Fyno:
your on point brother, I even bought a Bag of Rice at #8000 at shoprite owerri today while they keep saying its #20000.
NNPC near my HUX dey sell kerosene at #35 a liter,one paint of garri is #250,Yam 100 a tuber even idomie super park is now #650 a carton.
Abeg I go send yu moni make yu buy 20 bags.. Anufia

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by Flexherbal(m): 10:46pm On Sep 06, 2016
He is one of those eating from the national cake. He does not know what others are going through.
Does he know the numbers of people that have lost their jobs?

16 Likes

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by Nobody: 10:52pm On Sep 06, 2016
undecided

I do doubt as well too!
You need to visit Shoprite or Spar, then you will definitely have a rethink!

I was expecting to see few Customers the last time I visited Shoprite, but to my surprise - nothing changes, it's bubbling as usual!

I'm ain't saying there is no hardship in Nigeria presently, but to be candid, it's not as brutal as some are portraying it!

10 Likes

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by ojnnaco(m): 12:01am On Sep 07, 2016
am not surprised at all,your integrity and little repute have been drastically compromised by the devilish chanji agents

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by Tremor007: 12:11am On Sep 07, 2016
Fyno:
You no go kill pesin cheesy grin only the wise with discerning minds can decode your well intended sarcasm cheesy you really made my day.

84 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by activeguy: 12:14am On Sep 07, 2016
This man is useless and need a brain resetting slap.

Bayo... .i know he must be an afonja slave., those people can eat their young just to defend this hopeless government.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by Abeymills(m): 12:16am On Sep 07, 2016
How sad so sad dat our leaders are so cruel hypocrites liars n so on nigeria has been scammed by bubuhari n zombies

2 Likes

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by oduastates: 12:53am On Sep 07, 2016
I understand what he is talking about but he definitely did not put it the right way.
There is hunger in the land for sure when in fact, there shouldn't be.
Food is wasting in the rural areas and it has been like this ever since I was born.
Anybody who doubts it should go to taraba or benue and attempt to eat a N1000 meal of pounded yam and goat meat.
I can assure you, you will be returned in a casket.

THE PROBLEM
Our so called " in America" and "in Japan" economist,technocrats and textbook experts have always blamed this scenario on bad roads.that is, the inability to evacuate excess food to the market.

Odua states says the reason is as a result of a lack of imagination, organisation,planning and lack of creativity.

I am not going to go into details on each point because I have touched some of these issues before.
A lot can be done with railways,even as archaic as the rail system is.
1 Devote the railway as it is to mostly goods
2 terminate the goods rail journeys outside city limits.
3 Handover journeys within city limits to state's for mass transit. Numerous daily Journeys Abeokuta - oshodi will remove many cars from the road thereby, reducing the pressures on the foreign exchange.
The train journey starts in Abeokuta and end finishes in the journey in lagos.Instead of waiting...

To be continued

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by ArmedRobber: 1:32am On Sep 07, 2016
He has some points though, hunger is in the Land for those that refuse to Leave the city.
This issue of Hunger was blown out of proportion by unscropulous never do well Elements,just to paint this administration bad.

Rural areas in Lagos like ipaja,ayobo,e.t.c you can't still get cheap foodstuffs in this area.
I was at megida junction ayobo last week and someone bought a derica of Rice for N220 and beans for N180
That's when I realised Aboki in ikoyi,mama ngozi at obalende market re cheating us.
Imagine I pay N350 for a derica of Rice and N300 for beans in obalende-ikoyi axis.
I spend almost 10k on foodstuff at obalende market last month which I could have bought cheaper at ayobo including transport.
Govt needs a price regulation system to check the activities of this traders.
Especially the ones on island.them just dey Rob us of our hard. Earned cash

5 Likes

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by idupaul: 2:39am On Sep 07, 2016
Please let's keep deceiving PA Buhari that all is well till he meets his disgrace at the polls ..This is the same way sycophants told Jonathan that all was well till he was sent packing

24 Likes

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by Larryfest(m): 3:37am On Sep 07, 2016
WebSurfer:
What nonsense is this man talking about?
Does he really stay in Nigeria or authoring these stories from Overseas
You dey mind the idiot? Take away his position and perks and watch the story change,these are the kind of people we don't need as leaders..even the govt is begining to say the truth about the hardship yet this one is shitting from his mouth..

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by shyling(f): 6:12am On Sep 07, 2016
ArmedRobber:
He has some points though, hunger is in the Land for those that refuse to Leave the city.
This issue of Hunger was blown out of proportion by unscropulous never do well Elements,just to paint this administration bad.

Rural areas in Lagos like ipaja,ayobo,e.t.c you can't still get cheap foodstuffs in this area.
I was at megida junction ayobo last week and someone bought a derica of Rice for N220 and beans for N180
That's when I realised Aboki in ikoyi,mama ngozi at obalende market re cheating us.
Imagine I pay N350 for a derica of Rice and N300 for beans in obalende-ikoyi axis.
I spend almost 10k on foodstuff at obalende market last month which I could have bought cheaper at ayobo including transport.
Govt needs a price regulation system to check the activities of this traders.
Especially the ones on island.them just dey Rob us of our hard. Earned cash
****so government should regulate a free market? By the time dollar exchange rate goes to a thousand naira your reasoning will improve!

5 Likes

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by shyling(f): 6:14am On Sep 07, 2016
oduastates:
I understand what he is talking about but he definitely did not put it the right way.
There is hunger in the land for sure when in fact, there shouldn't be.
Food is wasting in the rural areas and it has been like this ever since I was born.
Anybody who doubts it should go to taraba or benue and attempt to eat a N1000 meal of pounded yam and goat meat.
I can assure you, you will be returned in a casket.

THE PROBLEM
Our so called " in America" and "in Japan" economist,technocrats and textbook experts have always blamed this scenario on bad roads.that is, the inability to evacuate excess food to the market.

Odua states says the reason is as a result of a lack of imagination, organisation,planning and lack of creativity.

I am not going to go into details on each point because I have touched some of these issues before.
A lot can be done with railways,even as archaic as the rail system is.
1 Devote the railway as it is to mostly goods
2 terminate the goods rail journeys outside city limits.
3 Handover journeys within city limits to state's for mass transit. Numerous daily Journeys Abeokuta - oshodi will remove many cars from the road thereby, reducing the pressures on the foreign exchange.
The train journey starts in Abeokuta and end finishes in the journey in lagos.Instead of waiting...

To be continued

Wake up. Food is not wasting in any imaginary rural areas

8 Likes

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by oduastates: 7:05am On Sep 07, 2016
shyling:

Then you have not been to the breadbasket
Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by meezynetwork(m): 7:06am On Sep 07, 2016
it seems other sections of the country are not feeling the hardship except people from one particular section of the country. Well, being someone from that section, I will advice my fellow people from "that section" to pls avoid the criticism. Seriously I am making hell of money at the detriments of the Nigeria policy with my side business. I hv seen my money tripled all cos of Buhari bad policies. I buy things in wholesale, the hoard it cos I know definitely it will triple in the next month, when it does, I sell them off and I look for other cheaper goods to buy that hasn't so much increase. So tell me how I will be feeling the effect of the harsh economy when am making hell of money and also receiving my salary.

5 Likes

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by hucienda: 7:12am On Sep 07, 2016
Branzy:
Abeg I go send yu moni make yu buy 20 bags.. Anufia

Take it easy.

You ever heard of sarcasm before?

He was being sarcastic.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by vedaxcool(m): 7:16am On Sep 07, 2016
[s]
shyling:

[/s]

Shut up just shut up if you live in rogues estate then rural areas with high agricultural outputs will seem imaginary.
Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by ArmedRobber: 7:59am On Sep 07, 2016
shyling:

Don' t worry stay put in the city and expect price of foodstuff to reduce
While others re now patronising rural areas to buy in cheaper price
Ayobo ipaja is in outskirt of Lagos foodstuff re cheaper there I wonder where all this imaginary figure of Rice came from

2 Likes

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by ArmedRobber: 7:59am On Sep 07, 2016
shyling:

Don' t worry stay put in the city and expect price of foodstuff to reduce
While others re now patronising rural areas to buy in cheaper price
Ayobo ipaja is in outskirt of Lagos foodstuff re cheaper there I wonder where all this imaginary price of Rice came from

1 Like

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by Themind: 8:17am On Sep 07, 2016
We have lazy people used to free monies all around, when all leakages are now blocked, they decided to send there miscreants out to shout shouting. We are in a tough times though, but once you are hard working, you will not suffer. Some even spend 100% of there time on social media and yet shouting no money nor food.

4 Likes

Re: Reports Of Hardship In Nigeria ‘mere Propaganda’ – NAN Chief, Onanuga by veekid(m): 8:17am On Sep 07, 2016
Oponu agbalagba

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Youths Bar Ahmed Lawan From Wedding At Emir Of Bade’s Palace / Benue Killings: Senate Rejects Committee Report / Don’t Accept Pdp’s Apology, Tinubu Tells Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.