Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,619 members, 7,809,277 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:09 AM

Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? (10863 Views)

Why Men Scared Of Getting Married / Nigerian Men In USA, Killing Their Imported Wives From Nigeria. / Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by SmellingAnus(m): 9:30am On Sep 08, 2016
What if your spouse wakes up one day and ask you ..."honey do you have a will?" What will be your reaction then and after then?

By the way according to Wikipedia A will or testament is a legal document by which a person, the testator, expresses his or her wishes as to how his or her property is to be distributed at death, and names one or more persons, the executor, to manage theestate until its final distribution. For the devolution of property not disposed of by will, see inheritance and intestacy.

Though it has at times been thought that a "will" was historically limited to real property while "testament" applies only to dispositions of personal property (thus giving rise to the popular title of the document as "Last Will and Testament", the historical records show that the terms have been used interchangeably.[1]Thus, the word "will" validly applies to both personal and real property. A will may also create a testamentary trust that is effective only after the death of the testator.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_and_testament

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Berbierklaus(f): 9:38am On Sep 08, 2016
cool
It is insensitive to suddenly wakeup and ask your husband to write a WILL,but then it is common sense for a man who loves his partner to be prepared for any eventualities,just like the case of the pastor's wife who was ejected just few.days after her husband's burial,it is adviceable for the benefactor of the family(who most times is the man) to put things in place...

Smellyanus how will you feel if I wake you up in the middle of the night and ask you to write your will grin

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Nobody: 10:13am On Sep 08, 2016
If my wife ask me about my will, she automatically becomes a suspect cos I will investigate her reasons for asking me that...

This topic deserves to be in FrontPage for wider contributions

Lalasticlala please take it to the permanent site.

19 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Ranchhoddas: 10:16am On Sep 08, 2016
gochenko:
If my wife ask me about my will, she automatically becomes a suspect cos I will investigate her reasons for asking me that...

This topic deserves to be in FrontPage for wider contributions

Typical

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Nobody: 10:17am On Sep 08, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Typical
please what will be your reaction grin

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Nobody: 10:21am On Sep 08, 2016
It's pretty obvious Nigerian men are scared of having a will even when such will is to protect their wives and kids incase of sudden demise...

23 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Ranchhoddas: 10:22am On Sep 08, 2016
gochenko:
please what will be your reaction grin
As unpleasant as it is to think about, death is always a possibility so one must be prepared. The smart thing is to always have a will to avoid confusion among the ones you'd leave behind if it happens.

8 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Nobody: 10:24am On Sep 08, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
As unpleasant as it is to think about, death is always a possibility so one must be prepared. The smart thing is to always have a will to avoid confusion among the ones you'd leave behind if it happens.
I agree with you bro but I also know it's easier said than done grin

3 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by yetseyi(f): 10:27am On Sep 08, 2016
gochenko:

A will protects your family, its that simple. Protects your spouse and children from relatives ,makes its easier to access funds from banks etc.

No wonder relatives of some deceased people find it very difficult to access funds of the dead from financial institutions. Its easier to leave a will than for the people you left to be chasing letter of administration up and down, a lot of people have left funds of dead relatives in banks and other institutions simply because the process is just to expensive for them, they just forget about such funds.If there is a will its easy.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Nobody: 10:33am On Sep 08, 2016
There's something really odd about this topic.

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by SmellingAnus(m): 10:39am On Sep 08, 2016
Aprime:
do you mind sharing what it is

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Nobody: 10:43am On Sep 08, 2016
yetseyi:

No wonder relatives of some deceased people find it very difficult to access funds of the dead from financial institutions. Its easier to leave a will than for the people you left to be chasing letter of administration up and down, a lot of people have left funds of dead relatives in banks and other institutions simply because the process is just to expensive for them, they just forget about such funds.If there is a will its easy.

you are right but I also think the attitude of some Nigerian Women/wives have contributed to the fear factor in having a will undecided

4 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by SmellingAnus(m): 10:47am On Sep 08, 2016
Berbierklaus:
cool
It is insensitive to suddenly wakeup and ask your husband to write a WILL,but then it is common sense for a man who loves his partner to be prepared for any eventualities,just like the case of the pastor's wife who was ejected just few.days after her husband's burial,it is adviceable for the benefactor of the family(who most times is the man) to put things in place...

Smellyanus how will you feel if I wake you up in the middle of the night and ask you to write your will grin
I agree with you dear.... At first I will be scared within me, but I will try as much as possible to want to know your reasons for such fearful demand at the middle of the night... But I know i may sleep with one eyes open cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by yetseyi(f): 10:48am On Sep 08, 2016
gochenko:
you are right but I also think the attitude of some Nigerian Women/wives have contributed to the fear factor in having a will undecided

Attitude as how? That she will kill you if she finds out about your will abi. grin grin
Or she will take your properties you willed to her and children and marry another person grin

So how do they contribute , just wondering oo Enlighten me pls

I know the process of writing a will is very private, almost a secret thing.

A lot of Nigerians see a will as a death sentence but it shouldnt be so

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Nobody: 10:54am On Sep 08, 2016
yetseyi:

Attitude as how? That she will kill you if she finds out about your will abi. grin grin
Or she will take your properties you willed to her and children and marry another person grin

So how did they contribute , just wondering oo Enlighten me pls

I know the process of writing a will is very private, almost a secret thing.

A lot of Nigerians see a will as a death sentence but it should be so
hahaha a friend's mum once told us about how two widows from a particular state in the south east were quarreling, the first widow accused the other widow of killing her husband while she accepted the fact that she killed her husband, she asked told the accuser that she gained a lot of properties but she (accuser) that killed her husband what did she get? Irony of everything is that my friends mum is also from the southeast.... Don't pretend you don't know that these things happen grin

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by An0nimus: 12:16pm On Sep 08, 2016
Aprime:

Perhaps the OP's moniker? grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by yetseyi(f): 12:20pm On Sep 08, 2016
gochenko:
hahaha a friend's mum once told us about how two widows from a particular state in the south east were quarreling, the first widow accused the other widow of killing her husband while she accepted the fact that she killed her husband, she asked told the accuser that she gained a lot of properties but she (accuser) that killed her husband what did she get? Irony of everything is that my friends mum is also from the southeast.... Don't pretend you don't know that these things happen grin

Lool, its okay oo.
Why marry someone who can kill you because of posessions ?

8 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by IhateYorubafool: 12:41pm On Sep 08, 2016
Just put it like this
"Your village uneducated men are scared of having a will"
Even in the 60's you will hear stories like "His dead father didn't will any of his properties to his son because the son is hotheaded and useless

I grew up in the 90's and all the Nigerian men i know do have wills, even those in the remote part of Nigeria (except the Hausa men)

I haven't seen or heard of any Nigerian man that died without willing his properties to his relations, wife and sons

This is not 1856, it's 2016

I have an advice for you
Stop doing drugs, it's affecting your mentality

5 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Mopolchi: 12:41pm On Sep 08, 2016
Gradually Nigerians will get there

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by DICKtator: 12:42pm On Sep 08, 2016
When there is a will, there will always be a way!!

grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by babyfaceafrica: 12:42pm On Sep 08, 2016
Am sure Nigeria men arenot scared of writing a will,what they won't do mostly is to share the contents of their will with their wife for obvious reasons?.....a woman should only ask for the contents of a husband will when she also shows the husband about her will also?..or don't women have wills to?....if you want openness,you do so by being open!!..that said all sane main should from when they start owning possessions draft a will which will include all member of their family.They are not under any obligation to share details of it.For me the best will I will give my family is what I can give them when am alive...education,shares and the likes,when am gone ...anything can happen...May God spare our lifes more on earth

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by frinx: 12:42pm On Sep 08, 2016
Will to a Nigerian is like planning on dying soon. cheesy grin grin

It has not been a norm in Nigeria. Only Few educated elites and those that had stayed abroad awhile really write a procedure of how their estate should be shared.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Sep 08, 2016
Wills though they equally share assets don't favor everyone in the long run

The next best thing and alternative is board signatories where everyone is involved and no one can access without the other it promotes love and equality for all
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by cyprus000: 12:46pm On Sep 08, 2016
[size=13pt]
Plan on creating a 'special will' for my woman(whether we have kid or not), but everything will change if she ask me question on anything 'will.'

It always comes with a sinister motive

[/size]

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Taryur3(m): 12:46pm On Sep 08, 2016
Of course....writing a will is like signing a death certificate.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Lexusgs430: 12:47pm On Sep 08, 2016
WILLS are good if you have items to WILL out ......

4 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by sherif4owo(m): 12:47pm On Sep 08, 2016
Why is it that the ladies want a will stated more than the guys on this thread

What about ladies will? grin or is will for men alone?

>>>> I'm just wondering ... I will address the topic later

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by cococandy(f): 12:47pm On Sep 08, 2016
It's just ignorance plain and simple. No will, no life insurance. Nothing.
BTW this can also apply to the wives. It must not be the men who have to make a will or have life insurance. Once you have a family, you should be open to such things in case of any unforeseen events. But we are to superstitious to be reasonable.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Sep 08, 2016
Nigerian women and other people's property. Tufiakwa.

3 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Nairadays: 12:49pm On Sep 08, 2016
When they have a WAY (Business Empire, Estates, Great Fulfillment), then the WILL shall manifest.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Tjohnnay: 12:50pm On Sep 08, 2016
undecided

All dis ladies go dey rush dey comment
I wonder wt dey hv to say undecided

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by seunny4lif(m): 12:53pm On Sep 08, 2016
Will ke shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Even at the age of 70 grin grin grin grin is a NO to Nigerians

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Best Way To Correct Children / How Often Do You Talk To Your Parents? / #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.