Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,400 members, 7,826,553 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

Best Way To Correct Children - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Best Way To Correct Children (10880 Views)

I Tried To Correct Her, What I Got Were Three Slaps, Husband Tells Court / Is This The Best Way To Correct A Child Misconduct? / Best Way to Punish Kids? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Way To Correct Children by mysticgal(f): 8:41pm On Feb 12, 2013
I find it difficult to beat kids,so house,what the best way of correction,isolation or spanking/flogging.
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by Nobody: 8:56pm On Feb 12, 2013
A kind gentle talk educating the child on why the deed was wrong and shouldn't be repeated would do.

However children can be naughty for no reason and then they need spanking just to get them back into their senses. I personally can't spank or beat a child except it's absolutely necessary.

2 Likes

Re: Best Way To Correct Children by agiboma(f): 9:02pm On Feb 12, 2013
Well i dont beat my son so i talk a lot a real lot of talking and he gets it eventually. When i get frustrated and he has his tantrums i walk away calm down and then come back again.
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by mysticgal(f): 10:58pm On Feb 12, 2013
i teach and i face challenges regarding correction of children and i hardly talk.
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by sfx9ja(m): 7:43am On Feb 13, 2013
I have two daughters and the last is a toddler. Spare the rod and spoil the child makes a lotta sense to me now. So any time the older one misbehaves I simply remind her that I have a cane as tall as she is. She go just maintain her champion fiam. By the way I am interested in fashion designing can we talk?

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Correct Children by blank(f): 9:00am On Feb 13, 2013
It depends on the child. My first son does not respond to beating at all. In fact, he will turn it into a game. Isolation was just a waste of time cos he wont stay at all. But i realised that he responded well to deprivation/prizes as in carrot and stick method.

If i want him to finish his food, i will tell him that he can play with Barney when he is done and he will just start rushing the food. If he is playing roughly wilth his toys, i tell him that i will take them away if he continues like that. If he does continue, i take them away for the rest of the day. No amount of crying will make me change my mind. And he is just turning 2.

That has been my experience so far.

6 Likes

Re: Best Way To Correct Children by Nobody: 9:07am On Feb 13, 2013
i spank my toddler n also talk to her. Its not easy talking to her mostyms cos she doesnt really understand dat much. But when i scream n shout at her, she wil adjust hersef.
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by mysticgal(f): 9:24am On Feb 13, 2013
i think i will go for the carrot and stick method or better talking,thanks peepz your advice is tremendious.thanks
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by JallowBah(f): 12:01pm On Feb 13, 2013
cocospice: i spank my toddler n also talk to her. Its not easy talking to her mostyms cos she doesnt really understand dat much. But when i scream n shout at her, she wil adjust hersef.

Of course she does, because she get SCARED.

What someone called the carrot-method is actually very good. If you act good; you get good things. If you act bad, the good things get taken away.

A smack on the hand when a kid is thiefing things from the table after being told many times not to, I can support.
But beating, spanking, screaming and shouting? Nah.
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by ceejay80s(m): 1:27pm On Feb 13, 2013
10 is a crowd
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by spywareczar(m): 1:27pm On Feb 13, 2013
BLACK PARENTS VS WHITE PARENT, WHO TREAT THEIR KIDS BETTER??
White parent : *Knock knock* "May I come in?"
Black parent : *Boom boom* "Open up this damn door! You don't pay no bills to be locking sh*t."
White parent: "you embarrassed me 4 fighting in school"..
black parent: who won? You better have whooped their A'ss"
WHITE kid crying, parent ;'awww stop crying jack,that's a good lad'.
BLACK kid crying, parent ;'KEEP CRYING AND ILL GIVE YOU A REASON TO CRY!'
Black Parent : *Yells your name.* You: What?*Silence.* Whaaaaat? *More silence...* WHAAAAAAT DO YOU WANT?? Black Parent : WHO YOU YELLING AT?
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by Nobody: 1:28pm On Feb 13, 2013
Flog am silly!
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by Nobody: 1:28pm On Feb 13, 2013
Biblical values.
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by kcjazz(m): 1:31pm On Feb 13, 2013
I will tell your daddy when he comes back. That stuff can scare kids especially when the dad is a mighty koboko warrior grin

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Correct Children by MEKKYbob(m): 1:38pm On Feb 13, 2013
Its SIMPLE..just hav a grinded bottled pepper ready,nd make sure they are aware of it...N/B..'dont kip out of the reach of children'... grin

Re: Best Way To Correct Children by Nobody: 1:38pm On Feb 13, 2013
mysticgal: I find it difficult to beat kids,so house,what the best way of correction,isolation or spanking/flogging.
I think it is through education. Educating them on the advantages of doing something right and the disadvantages of doing something wrong.
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by Nobody: 1:38pm On Feb 13, 2013
Spare the rod and spoil the child tongue
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by OluEmmaAss: 1:41pm On Feb 13, 2013
blank: But i realised that he responded well to deprivation/prizes as in carrot and stick method.
A thousand gbosa!!
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by freecocoa(f): 1:44pm On Feb 13, 2013
I go rush them with better smack down cheesy.

On a more serious note though, I don't know how I'll deal with mine when I have them but so far with my cousin's kids etc,

I just isolate the one that effs up and it does work, I don't even know where to hit kids, they just seem so fragile but if na teenager eh, I go wooze am better slap(s)undecided.

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Correct Children by chucky234(m): 1:47pm On Feb 13, 2013
Its good to nurture effective a healthy communication culture between and your kids right from when they are still toddlers,I don't beat my daughter but listens to me more than her mum who hit her at any given opportunity.
I talk to her and she knows when serious or joking,if ask her to sit on a particular spot till I return that's where she will sit even her mother try to take her away from there.
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by yuzedo: 1:48pm On Feb 13, 2013
Use Kung-fu or Broken Bottle to gain respect and obedience... Hope this helps, cheers! wink
(Source: CNN Knews Report)
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by delkuf(m): 1:50pm On Feb 13, 2013
yuzedo: Use Kung-fu or Broken Bottle to gain respect and obedience... Hope this helps, cheers! wink
(Source: CNN Knews Report)
lmao. lolzzzzz. Guy, abi i dey pepper
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by yuzedo: 1:52pm On Feb 13, 2013
•MEKKY-bob•:
Its SIMPLE..just hav a grinded bottled pepper ready,nd make sure they are aware of it...N/B..'dont kip out of the reach of children'... grin
Na Obatala go punish your ugly IBO head for posting your hideous picture where dem no send you! angry Odika you are suffering from Anumpama Syndrome?! Onuku! angry angry

MOD, please ban this ugly boy for posting this his house-boy picture on this thread! See his osaka jeans and china shirt sef! "Gil-Kiddy" LMAOOOOOO!!!! grin Dis one just land from villa! ur oga no lock him laptop today abi? You come dey "brazz" intanet.. tongue

2 Likes

Re: Best Way To Correct Children by AustinG1(m): 1:53pm On Feb 13, 2013
Its varies with the different types of kids, some need threats, some needs a gentle talk or advice, some need public disgrace to stop it, some need whip.. so first, study the child and know what scares him/her and this has to be done in his/her early stage of life (5-7 years) after this age, u will need to work harder to be able to correct them, for me.. after warning that child on same thing for 3 times, if it happens again, use ur whip..

3 Likes

Re: Best Way To Correct Children by Nobody: 1:54pm On Feb 13, 2013
Austin G: Its varies with the different types of kids, some need threats, some needs a gentle talk or advice, some need public disgrace to stop it, some need whip.. so first, study the child and know what scares him/her and this has to be done in his/her early stage of life (5-7 years) after this age, u will need to work harder to be able to correct them, for me.. after warning that child on same thing for 3 times, if it happens again, use ur whip..
Lol! Nice one. But, I couldn't help laughing at your comment.
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by greatgod2012(f): 1:54pm On Feb 13, 2013
Isolation works for me like magic.........."go and sleep in your room".......he/she will go, spend like 15-20 minutes there and come back on their own, well behaved.
However, if its a serious offence....."egba tinrin" comes into d matter, after which explaination why he/she was spanked is done to them, and why they shouldnt do such again, helps alot.
May God help us all.

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Correct Children by gluv01(f): 2:06pm On Feb 13, 2013
all4naija: I think it is through education. Educating them on the advantages of doing something right and the disadvantages of doing something wrong.

Doesn't really work well(for some parents and kids)....The best answer to that question is LOVE. When you love the child, you know what is good for him/her and what is not.
You know when to use the whip and how to use it for both his safety and your conscience(ie, maybe you've corrected him on that particular thing on three occaions, then you use the whip, but you can as well forgive him too and caution that the whip is available if he misbehaves again. Rather than whipping or spanking him on the first occasion). Forgive me, I can't remember the exact verse in the Bible that says, "children are naturally silly, but a good spanking and love will bring them upright".

You understand his feelings and reasons why he did what he did. For example, during my secondary school days, a pastor came to my school and while preaching, talked about how he's son was caught with money. If you know him. HE is a known pastor and the whole school was surprised why the boy stole when the dad could afford what he needed the money for; lesson fees. Now when the dad(pastor) asked his son why he stole the money, the boy soberly reminded his dad that he has been asking for the money for over 2weeks, and the dad being a busy man, was always on the slogan(remind me tomorrow dear, I'm very tired now),this went on for about 2weeks and then punishment in school began, so the boy stole the money because he was scared of being flogged in school or driven away from classes for failing to pay his lesson fees. Now he did the wrong thing for the right reasons.
If it were some dad, they'll pounce on the innocent child immediately without knowing the reasons for his actions. Nigerian dads are good at that; I mean no criticism please.(Junior is this what i taught u, to steal? now come here, and they start flogging the child like a thief). I just think the whole thing relies on love to correct your child. Some children might be the mischievious type and you'll think there is no amount of love that can correct him. No, try love, plus the stick-carrot method and see the wonders. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Best Way To Correct Children by Nobody: 2:08pm On Feb 13, 2013
for me, a good assbeating never hurt anybody cheesy but it depends on many factors: how old they are and what they have done wrong and whether its the 1st or 10th time they have done it. Children need love and discipline, often you can correct them with words or withdrawal of playtime.

if they were deliberately disobedient,hitting/smacking is never an option
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by Nobody: 2:11pm On Feb 13, 2013
e-gbow will calm any unruly child down.

Puff puf pass to junior.

Tested and tried method

cool

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Correct Children by achi4u(m): 2:15pm On Feb 13, 2013
cocospice: i spank my toddler n also talk to her. Its not easy talking to her mostyms cos she doesnt really understand dat much. But when i scream n shout at her, she wil adjust hersef.
But that shouting of a thing has its side effects...either ways shout small and beat small.

As for me,my two little twins are giving me alot of headaece with their restless playing ,could you imagine they hadly allowed me to watch tv or do anything I want do...I mean I dont have my own time again lolgrin

But thats just the fun ot itgrin
Re: Best Way To Correct Children by gluv01(f): 2:17pm On Feb 13, 2013
jackbauersballs: e-gbow will calm any unruly child down.

Puff puf pass to junior.

Tested and tried method

cool

grin LWKMD

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? / Why Do Some People Abandon Their Parents After Marriage? / Husband and Wife in the same Profession?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.