Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? (10884 Views)

Why Men Scared Of Getting Married / Nigerian Men In USA, Killing Their Imported Wives From Nigeria. / Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Yinkame123(m): 2:26pm On Sep 08, 2016
Written of will is not in most cases a guarantee that animosity will not occur after the demise of an individual. Cases are abound of family where presence of will constitute more troubles because the children of the deceased contested the will which in most cases dragged for years in the law court. One of such cases is that of late Rotimi Williams SAN that the sons were at each others throat as regards the authenticity of the will he left behind. in my view leaving will behind does not guarantee they will not be crisis after death.

yetseyi:

A will protects your family, its that simple. Protects your spouse and children from relatives ,makes its easier to access funds from banks etc.

No wonder relatives of some deceased people find it very difficult to access funds of the dead from financial institutions. Its easier to leave a will than for the people you left to be chasing letter of administration up and down, a lot of people have left funds of dead relatives in banks and other institutions simply because the process is just to expensive for them, they just forget about such funds.If there is a will its easy.

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by MaeBlocks(f): 3:05pm On Sep 08, 2016
The writing of a Will is not a hard thing but shey na who don chop belleful dey write Will?
Please remember that times are hard and majority of Nigerians are struggling to feed themselves, pays rents, pay school fee, etc.
My papa never write will and neither we his children or our mother care.
A colleague of mine's brother inlaw willed his property to his wife (my colleague's sister) and his two children before he died. His family started fighting over the properties with my colleague's sister as she kept insisting they are for her children. But you know what....she has died too.
My advice - insisting on having a will couldn't be the ultimate priority of anyone cos no one will be buried with the properties.

SmellingAnus:
What if your spouse wakes up one day and ask you ..."honey do you have a will?" What will be your reaction then and after then?

By the way according to Wikipedia A will or testament is a legal document by which a person, the testator, expresses his or her wishes as to how his or her property is to be distributed at death, and names one or more persons, the executor, to manage theestate until its final distribution. For the devolution of property not disposed of by will, see inheritance and intestacy.

Though it has at times been thought that a "will" was historically limited to real property while "testament" applies only to dispositions of personal property (thus giving rise to the popular title of the document as "Last Will and Testament", the historical records show that the terms have been used interchangeably.[1]Thus, the word "will" validly applies to both personal and real property. A will may also create a testamentary trust that is effective only after the death of the testator.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_and_testament
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by SmellingAnus(m): 3:12pm On Sep 08, 2016
MaeBlocks:
The writing of a Will is not a hard thing but shey na who don chop belleful dey write Will?
Please remember that times are hard and majority of Nigerians are struggling to feed themselves, pays rents, pay school fee, etc.
My papa never write will and neither we his children or our mother care.
A colleague of mine's brother inlaw willed his property to his wife (my colleague's sister) and his two children before he died. His family started fighting over the properties with my colleague's sister as she kept insisting they are for her children. But you know what....she has died too.
My advice - insisting on having a will couldn't be the ultimate priority of anyone cos no one will be buried with the properties.

interesting view
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by idu1(m): 3:29pm On Sep 08, 2016
Angelofdarkness:
anybody can die first but most times we know that the men die before their wovest grin
grin

You funny...
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Pennywise(m): 4:28pm On Sep 08, 2016
Nigerian men are afraid of writing a will for obvious reason.

Because after writing a will, wetin remain? Not be to go die?
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by iyb(m): 4:35pm On Sep 08, 2016
thats the beauty of islam there is no need for a will everybody gets his share.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by onoja12: 5:24pm On Sep 08, 2016
men are not scared of writing a will,rather they are scared of there wife's knowing they have a will.if a my wife ask me about my will,i would ask her to equally take a life policy on insurance

Angelofdarkness:
It's pretty obvious Nigerian men are scared of having a will even when such will is to protect their wives and kids incase of sudden demise...
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Amplitron: 5:41pm On Sep 08, 2016
iyb:
thats the beauty of islam there is no need for a will everybody gets his share.
Good insight iyb. But it is not that automatic. Some Muslims want a portion to be devoted to their favorite charity and an Islamic will still needs to state what should be bequeathed to such. Hence, must be written.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by greggng: 6:20pm On Sep 08, 2016
3 conditions re necessitate a will

If you re above 60years old you should consider writing ur will

If you re having a terminal illness that tb joshua cannot heal

If you u ve be slapped by the ghost pls write ur will before it gets to insanity state
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by SmellingAnus(m): 6:26pm On Sep 08, 2016
greggng:
3 conditions re necessitate a will

If you re above 60years old you should consider writing ur will

If you re having a terminal illness that tb joshua cannot heal

If you u ve be slapped by the ghost pls write ur will before it gets to insanity state
hahahah funny you but sense dey inside this talk sha
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by 14DUI(m): 7:21pm On Sep 08, 2016
All my properties belongs to my wife and kids. my wife is the primary beneficiary and my kids are the secondary beneficiaries.
i have nothing for any brothers or sister, nothing and i mean nothing. my relative already had their shares of me when i'm alive.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Berbierklaus(f): 8:29pm On Sep 08, 2016
IYANGBALI:
woman no dey write will? Have you wroted your own?
When most men acquire property in their name alone?

some women do write will tho,divorce mothers,single mothers,wealthy wives,this things are not commonly practiced in Nigeria.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by IYANGBALI: 8:34pm On Sep 08, 2016
Berbierklaus:

some women do write will tho,divorce mothers,single mothers,wealthy wives,this things are not commonly practiced in Nigeria.
Go write your will jo even if na only those your shoes and undies
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Berbierklaus(f): 8:39pm On Sep 08, 2016
IYANGBALI:
Go write your will jo even if na only those your shoes and undies
I never marry or born,so why will I write will? undecided

Go write will for Babangbali na
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by IYANGBALI: 8:40pm On Sep 08, 2016
Berbierklaus:

go write your will jo even if na those your shoes bags and undies
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by IYANGBALI: 9:12pm On Sep 08, 2016
Berbierklaus:

you have started eyeing my brother abi?. He is big strong and reliable. You go wound o grin
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Berbierklaus(f): 9:36pm On Sep 08, 2016
IYANGBALI:
you have started eyeing my brother abi?. He is big strong and reliable. You go wound o grin
cheesy

My spec cool
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Nobody: 7:39am On Sep 09, 2016
In the first instance why are men or women acquiring property in their names alone?
If the womans name is on the property papers gbagada gbagaa, then how will the family contest it with her?

Also if the man makes it clear to his family that his wife & children are is his Next of kin then they have little say when the man dies

The only problem occurs when the family are the ones who sent the guy to school and feel that they are owed things
If you are a community project, then ensure that you write a will that favours everyone
infact you need a will written more than anyone else.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by ttmacoy: 10:27am On Sep 09, 2016
gochenko:
please what will be your reaction grin

If there was mutual trust and respect between husband and wife then she asking for a will should not result in negative reaction.

in a sane country even if there is no will there is no chance of the rubbish that happens in Nigeria where families will kick out wives and kids after their brother or son dies.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by SmellingAnus(m): 10:58am On Sep 09, 2016
ttmacoy:

If there was mutual trust and respect between husband and wife then she asking for a will should not result in negative reaction.

in a sane country even if there is no will there is no chance of the rubbish that happens in Nigeria where families will kick out wives and kids after their brother or son dies.
oh I see cool
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 09, 2016
onoja12:
men are not scared of writing a will,rather they are scared of there wife's knowing they have a will.if a my wife ask me about my will,i would ask her to equally take a life policy on insurance

oh I see
Re: Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? by BABANGBALI: 12:41pm On Sep 11, 2016
Berbierklaus:

come make I show you something for my room

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! / Punishments You Served While Growing Up When You Do Wrong / How Does It Happen In Your Home, Is Your Marriage This Messed Up?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.