Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,191 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:44 AM

Mental Slavery In Christianity - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Mental Slavery In Christianity (3675 Views)

How Do People Even Believe In Christianity When It Seems Like A Fairy Tale. / God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? / Is Commiting Suicide A Sin? In Christianity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mental Slavery In Christianity by Nobody: 11:14am On Sep 08, 2016
The way preachers enslave the minds of the masses is so shocking. I can't believe that functioning adults actually take the words of a few people who claim to be divinely inspired as the absolute, despite the obvious contradictions. These cunning people take advantage of the inability of their followers to account for the 'unexplainable', and fill in the gaps with LIES upon LIES. Its this same mental slavery that made them able to collect 10% of their followers' hard earned salary every month, but at the same time, all other passages in the 'old testament' that contradict their current lifestyle 'don't apply anymore'. Its a concept that still baffles me to an extent, and shows how powerful highly developed human intelligence can be harnessed as a tool to subdue the ignorant masses.

Here is a real life story I read on Quora this morning, which mirrors the same experiences in African churches of today:

In 1988, Televangelist Jimmy Swaggart admitted to cheating on his wife with a prostitute. He tearfully broke down on Television and claimed he had sinned because he visited a sex worker.

That should have been game over for his "ministry". He asked people to donate money to him for the work he did "for the Lord" and he preached about morality and the evils of things like rock and roll. And then he used some of the money people gave him to pay a prostitute.

So that should have been the end of him as a televangelist and he should never been able to beg for money on TV again with any kind of credibility.

But three years later he was still running a ministry and still getting people to donate money.

In 1991 he was caught with another prostitute, this time in his car. Rather than tearfully breaking down he said, and I quote, "The Lord told me it's flat none of your business."

And he just kept going. He keeps preaching about morality and people keep giving money to him.

Seriously people. If a guy gets caught cheating on his wife with prostitutes twice in three years, he's not someone worth listening to on issues of personal morality and you should NOT be giving him any of your money.

https://www.quora.com/What-scandals-should-NOT-have-been-forgotten/answer/David-Stewart-8

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by greatnaija01: 11:50am On Sep 08, 2016
AnonyNymous:
The way preachers enslave the minds of the masses is so shocking. I can't believe that functioning adults actually take the words of a few people who claim to be divinely inspired as the absolute, despite the obvious contradictions. These cunning people take advantage of the inability of their followers to account for the 'unexplainable', and fill in the gaps with LIES upon LIES. Its this same mental slavery that made them able to collect 10% of their followers' hard earned salary every month, but at the same time, all other passages in the 'old testament' that contradict their current lifestyle 'don't apply anymore'. Its a concept that still baffles me to an extent, and shows how powerful highly developed human intelligence can be harnessed as a tool to subdue the ignorant masses.

Here is a real life story I read on Quora this morning, which mirrors the same experiences in African churches of today:

In 1988, Televangelist Jimmy Swaggart admitted to cheating on his wife with a prostitute. He tearfully broke down on Television and claimed he had sinned because he visited a sex worker.

That should have been game over for his "ministry". He asked people to donate money to him for the work he did "for the Lord" and he preached about morality and the evils of things like rock and roll. And then he used some of the money people gave him to pay a prostitute.

So that should have been the end of him as a televangelist and he should never been able to beg for money on TV again with any kind of credibility.

But three years later he was still running a ministry and still getting people to donate money.

In 1991 he was caught with another prostitute, this time in his car. Rather than tearfully breaking down he said, and I quote, "The Lord told me it's flat none of your business."

And he just kept going. He keeps preaching about morality and people keep giving money to him.

Seriously people. If a guy gets caught cheating on his wife with prostitutes twice in three years, he's not someone worth listening to on issues of personal morality and you should NOT be giving him any of your money.

lols i WONDER WHY YOU HAVE NOT DISCOVERED THAT YOUR SENSE IS PAINING YOU.

IS ANYONE PERFECT?

IS ANYONE GOOD? DID JESUS HIMSELF NOT SAY NO ONE IS GOOD EXCEPT GOD

EITHER YOU ARE A MISTAKE ON EARTH OR AN UNFORTUNATE WOMAN GAVE BIRTH TO YOU.

WHAT IS YOUR OWN IF GOD HAS FORGIVEN HIM.... SO YOU COME HERE TO OPENLY SHOW THAT YOU SERVE A GOD THAT WRITES PEOPLE OFF ONCE THEY HAVE COMMITTED SINS? DESPITE GENUINE REPENTANCE

YOU MUST BE A MODERN DAY PHARISEE..... WHO ARE YOU TO POINT ACCUSING FINGER AT A GUY WHO OPENLY ADMITTED HIS FLAWS YET EVEN IF YOU ARE IN A HOLINESS CHURCH SOME OF YOUR PASTORS ARE GUILTY OF WORSE AND WILL NEVER COME OUT TO ADMIT IT.... THIS IS SHAMEFUL FOR YOU AnonyNymous THE FINGER YOU POINT AT HIM IS ONE BUT THREE OTHER FINGERS POINT BACK AT YOU.

ANYWAY AT THE END WE WILL SEE, HIS WEAKNESS MAY BE WOMEN YET GOD CHOSE TO USE HIM.... WHO KNOWS YOUR OWN SECRET WEAKNESS.... I DO NOT EVEN CARE WHO THE PERSON MAY BE BUT GOD IS FAITHFUL AND JUST TO FORGIVE US WHEN WE REPENT....

SO IN YOUR RETARDED MIND... IF A PERSON IS BITTEN BY MOSQUITO THE CURE IS TO KILL THE PERSON ABII? YOU NEED TO BE BORN AGAIN. ELSE WHEN YOU DIE.... YOU WILL BE AnonyNymous EVEN IN HEAVEN....
Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by Nobody: 2:38pm On Sep 08, 2016
greatnaija01:

IS ANYONE PERFECT?

WHAT IS YOUR OWN IF GOD HAS FORGIVEN HIM.... SO YOU COME HERE TO OPENLY SHOW THAT YOU SERVE A GOD THAT WRITES PEOPLE OFF ONCE THEY HAVE COMMITTED SINS? DESPITE GENUINE REPENTANCE

YOU MUST BE A MODERN DAY PHARISEE..... WHO ARE YOU TO POINT ACCUSING FINGER AT A GUY WHO OPENLY ADMITTED HIS FLAWS YET EVEN IF YOU ARE IN A HOLINESS CHURCH SOME OF YOUR PASTORS ARE GUILTY OF WORSE AND WILL NEVER COME OUT TO ADMIT IT.... THIS IS SHAMEFUL FOR YOU AnonyNymous THE FINGER YOU POINT AT HIM IS ONE BUT THREE OTHER FINGERS POINT BACK AT YOU.

ANYWAY AT THE END WE WILL SEE, HIS WEAKNESS MAY BE WOMEN YET GOD CHOSE TO USE HIM.... WHO KNOWS YOUR OWN SECRET WEAKNESS.... I DO NOT EVEN CARE WHO THE PERSON MAY BE BUT GOD IS FAITHFUL AND JUST TO FORGIVE US WHEN WE REPENT....

SO IN YOUR RETARDED MIND... IF A PERSON IS BITTEN BY MOSQUITO THE CURE IS TO KILL THE PERSON ABII? YOU NEED TO BE BORN AGAIN. ELSE WHEN YOU DIE.... YOU WILL BE AnonyNymous EVEN IN HEAVEN....
haha. First off, don't assume I'm in any church. I dont believe in fairytales, I'm too old for that. Secondly, why did it occur to you that typing in all caps might somehow, make the point you are trying to make more valid? Lastly, if someone tells you to do something at church every sunday, but openly contradicts exactly what he does, and tells you to 'mind your business' when you confront him, do you think its still very wise to give him your hard earned money?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by An2elect2(f): 6:14pm On Sep 08, 2016
greatnaija01:

IS ANYONE PERFECT?

The op may be a foolish person but you are an embarrassment to Christianity, you and your pastor$$

5 Likes

Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by 4kings: 6:34pm On Sep 08, 2016
grin grin grin
Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by hahn(m): 6:52pm On Sep 08, 2016
An2elect2:
The op may be a foolish person but you are an embarrassment to Christianity, you and your pastor$$

According to the bible, you are going to hell. See you there cheesy grin

6 Likes

Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by An2elect2(f): 7:33pm On Sep 08, 2016
hahn:

According to the bible, you are going to hell. See you there cheesy grin
Matthew 5:22; But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, You fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

If only you have understanding, you will know what to say and when to say.

If you know nothing about Law and grace i am not sure you would make any sense from cherry-picking scriptures.

1 Like

Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by greatnaija01: 10:55pm On Sep 08, 2016
An2elect2:
[s]The op may be a foolish person but you are an embarrassment to Christianity, you and your pastor$$[/s]

SAME TO YOU..... hypocrite. I HAVE FACTS EVEN FROM SCRIPTURE but what do you have.... emotional tantrum .... I PITY YOUR CHRISTIAN LIFE

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by hahn(m): 7:50am On Sep 09, 2016
An2elect2:
Matthew 5:22; But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, You fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

If you know nothing about Law and grace i am not sure you would make any sense from cherry-picking scriptures.

Lol. So your grace gives you the right to call people fools and still make heaven. Brilliant grin

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by agwom(m): 7:53am On Sep 09, 2016
hmm
Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by Immorttal: 8:29am On Sep 09, 2016
greatnaija01:

IS ANYONE PERFECT?

it hurt my eyes trying to decipher your all caps epistle.

2 Likes

Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by DeSepiero(m): 12:01pm On Sep 09, 2016
An2elect2:

...If you know nothing about Law and grace ...

If you don't mind, what's law and grace in this context?
Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by Lexxyburg(m): 2:20pm On Sep 09, 2016
I'm free. From the claws of christainity. Hallelujah grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by Zellie: 2:41pm On Sep 09, 2016
An2elect2:

Grace allows you to call people foolish?

Reminds me of a certain Gucci bag Pastor grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by Pidggin(f): 4:27pm On Sep 09, 2016
greatnaija01:

SAME TO YOU..... hypocrite. I HAVE FACTS EVEN FROM SCRIPTURE but what do you have.... emotional tantrum .... I PITY YOUR CHRISTIAN LIFE

It seems you lack understanding, read your Bible and ask the Holy Spirit to explain

To the OP, the Bible says "Many will say but father, we performed many miracles in your name " and Jesus will say "I do not know you"

God is never mocked, whatever a man sows he will reap. God knows how to handle such things, I suggest you leave this matter for Him. The bible contains several clues to detect false preachers those who fall for this have themselves to blame. He says "By their fruits you shall know them "
Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by greatnaija01: 6:13pm On Sep 09, 2016
[s]
Pidggin:

It seems you lack understanding, read your Bible and ask the Holy Spirit to explain

To the OP, the Bible says "Many will say but father, we performed many miracles in your name " and Jesus will say "I do not know you"

God is never mocked, whatever a man sows he will reap. God knows how to handle such things, I suggest you leave this matter for Him. The bible contains several clues to detect false preachers those who fall for this have themselves to blame. He says "By their fruits you shall know them "
[/s]

well tell me what happened to the THIEF ON THE CROSS, WHERE THEN IS GRACE... UNMERITED FAVOUR.... lols u got your gospel twisted o...
Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by adjoviomole(m): 6:27pm On Sep 09, 2016
The problem with people is that they don't read der bible. Anyone who reads his or her bible n understands it will never fall pray to any of this pastors milking them dry.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by kilo4sure: 7:57pm On Sep 09, 2016
But ye shall know them by their fruits. Truly, this verse has been ignored by the said Christians in the op, and indeed it is a shame.
Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by Nobody: 8:27pm On Sep 09, 2016
Lexxyburg:
No be small thing grin grin grin
Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by Immorttal: 9:28am On Sep 11, 2016
Lexxyburg:
you are Wellucome, grin.... but then again NEVER stop reading your bible, you,ll understand it clearly now. wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by Lexxyburg(m): 4:19pm On Sep 11, 2016
Immorttal:
you are Wellucome, grin.... but then again NEVER stop reading your bible, you,ll understand it clearly now. wink
Thinking of burning it. I mean my bible. My dad bought it for me when I gained admission into a uni.
Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by plaetton: 8:19pm On Sep 11, 2016
AnonyNymous:

https://www.quora.com/What-scandals-should-NOT-have-been-forgotten/answer/David-Stewart-8
It gets even better.
His son also has his own TV ministry, also begging for funds.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by johnydon22(m): 11:47pm On Sep 11, 2016
An2elect2:

Pauline Christians believe Paul more than they believe Jesus..
Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by adjoviomole(m): 1:19pm On Sep 12, 2016
The old testament is der to learn from,while the new testament is for our dispensation "gentiles" we are followers of Jesus . Christians wer called christians because they wer christlike in behavior.
Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by lastmessenger: 1:45pm On Sep 12, 2016
If u want to dash a pevert your money,whats my business? As for me i get my money and use it to do things that i can actually point to.
Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by EyeHateGod: 6:30pm On Sep 12, 2016
adjoviomole:
The old testament is der to learn from,while the new testament is for our dispensation "gentiles" we are followers of Jesus . Christians wer called christians because they wer christlike in behavior.
Mat 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into [any] city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
Mat 10:6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Hahn can u believe this?
Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by hahn(m): 7:59pm On Sep 12, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Mat 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into [any] city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

Hahn can u believe this?

Lol. I have seen worse tongue
Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by adjoviomole(m): 9:52pm On Sep 12, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Hahn can u believe this?

The children of israel where meant to be the 1st partaker of the goodness of the gospel but they rejected it.

Jesus then commanded his disciples to go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.
Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by hahn(m): 10:04pm On Sep 12, 2016
adjoviomole:

The children of israel where meant to be the 1st partaker of the goodness of the gospel but they rejected it.

Jesus then commanded his disciples to go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.

Lol.

Do you realize that not everyone knows about Jesus, the story is not real by the way, but if it was real then does that mean that people who have not yet heard of him will go to hell?

1 Like

Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by adjoviomole(m): 10:13pm On Sep 12, 2016
hahn:

Lol.

Do you realize that not everyone knows about Jesus, the story is not real by the way, but if it was real then does that mean that people who have not yet heard of him will go to hell?

If I answer this, u will probably bring up another question....anyways to those who have never heard about Jesus, their is a guardian in us wich is our conscience. No one can say they don't know what is right from what is wrong. So this people will be judged according to their works on earth be it good or bad.

1 Like

Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by hopefulLandlord: 10:22pm On Sep 12, 2016
adjoviomole:

If I answer this, u will probably bring up another question....anyways to those who have never heard about Jesus, their is a guardian in us wich is our conscience. No one can say they don't know what is right from what is wrong. So this people will be judged according to their works on earth be it good or bad.

then that half unclad carpenter doesn't need to come and die then

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mental Slavery In Christianity by adjoviomole(m): 10:26pm On Sep 12, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

then that half unclad carpenter doesn't need to come and die then

His death on the cross have saved countless of life and still counting. I am benefiting from it as well. Murderers have been changed totally, drug addicts,fornicators, drunkards, thiefs etc lots of them av been changed tru the salvation of their soul made possible by the death of that half unclad carpenter.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

.. / Are Nigerians Truly Religious Or Mere Pretenders? / T.b Joshua Miracle Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.