Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,517 members, 7,823,223 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly (9112 Views)

Florence Ita Giwa Celebrates Her 71st Birthday: See Throwback Photos / Buhari's Speech At The 71st UN General Assembly (Full Text) / Buhari Leaves For New York For 71st UN General Assembly (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by mamabomboy: 7:51pm On Sep 09, 2016
President Muhammadu Buhari will lead Nigeria’s delegation to the 71st UN General Assembly (UNGA) scheduled to begin at the UN headquarters in New York on Tuesday, Foreign Affairs Minister Geoffrey Onyeama, has said.

Mr. Onyeama, who made the fact known in Abuja on Friday at a news conference, said the president would be discussing series of issues which had direct impact on Nigeria.

He said the president would, among others, set the record straight on the issue of human rights violation and sign the Paris Agreement on Climate.
The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that at the Paris Climate Conference (COP21) held in December 2015, 195 countries adopted the first-ever universal, legally binding global climate deal.
The agreement sets out a global action plan to put the world on track to avoid dangerous climate change by limiting global warming to 2°C.

The agreement is due to enter into force in 2020.
Mr. Onyeama said the president signing the agreement would send a signal to the world that Nigeria was serious with it. He noted that China and the U.S. had already signed it.

He said the UNGA conference was a unique one where the Nigerian leader had opportunity to meet world leaders and build on the country’s reputation.
“It is one unique conference where world leaders assemble and address issues pre-occupying their minds; it is a wonderful opportunity for the president to build on his reputation.

“President Buhari is well regarded by the world leaders and it will give him opportunity to reconnect and engage them on various issues.
“He needs world leaders’ support in the areas of economy, security, anti-corruption and governance. He will use the opportunity to push for Nigeria’s interest at the UN,” the minister said.

He said the president would also use the opportunity to look for foreign markets for Nigerian’s products and garner support for the economy.

Mr. Onyeama said that the president would also use the opportunity to canvass for the repatriation of Nigeria’s stolen money in foreign banks.

“Mr. President will use the opportunity to canvass for support for the recharge of Lake Chad.
“There will be a discussion on Lake Chad Basin and how to recharge the lake through Central Africa which will cost about $15 billion.

“Mr President will engage and push for investors on the project. He will be looking at Public, Private Partnership to mobilise that kind of funding for Lake Chad.

“Such investment will have direct impact on at least five million people,” he said.
According to Mr. Onyeama, there will also be a discussion on one vision, one Africa where all African nations can have a voice on issues that have direct impact on the continent.

He said the EU would be putting €31 billion on the table to address certain issues affecting Middle East and part of Africa.

He said Nigeria was the only one invited for the meeting to look into how to spend the money, adding that the forum would give Nigeria opportunity to access the fund.
(NAN)

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/210159-buhari-lead-nigerias-delegation-71st-un-general-assembly.html

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by Nobody: 7:54pm On Sep 09, 2016
Another chance for fruitless tourisms.

I hope he won't go there to release another inane, libelous and unpleasant statements about Nigeria and the economy?

His unguarded and detractive utterances abroad have deterred foreign investors from investing and pulling out of the economy. they now see the Nigerian economy as precarious for business activities, of which is one of the major causes of recession.

Tagging Nigerians as criminals and fantastically corrupt is only ominous to the socio-economic wellbeing of the nation.

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by mamabomboy: 7:55pm On Sep 09, 2016
Guess when the fuel price hike will be announced

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by Pidggin(f): 7:58pm On Sep 09, 2016
Millions of dollars have been spent so far on these fruitless trips, yet they say the change should begin with masses not themselves.

37 Likes

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by fromnigeria(m): 8:02pm On Sep 09, 2016
Once you are on the move, i know its for the sole reason of moving Nigeria forward.

So Go in peace Mr President.
Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by todayboy: 8:03pm On Sep 09, 2016
Another travel opportunity for the clown president

40 Likes

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by Nobody: 8:28pm On Sep 09, 2016
gringrin Lalasticlala should be joining the delegates, representing Nairaland constituency.

10 Likes

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by phemmie06(m): 8:40pm On Sep 09, 2016
When I was still saying PMB don repent and retire from. I traveling

5 Likes

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by aventura: 9:22pm On Sep 09, 2016
Buhari should delegate this visit to someone else either the Vice President or the foreign affairs minister. It is not a good thing that the US president has conspicuously stayed away from this country in a period of eight years when their counterpart here has visited on countless occasions. It doesn't tell well on us on the diplomatic scene even as he visited Senegal, South Africa, Ghana et al. For me the Ghana trip was the one that broke the camel's back. At that point we should have realised our folly and started restrategizing on our options. I don't force friendship; I believe friendship should be a mutual thing. This was why Zuckerberg visited Nigeria and Kenya. It wasn't personal rather it was because of the strategic position in their respective climes (east and west africa). Obama doesn't embark on any continental tour without aknowledging their territorial heads. I've come to relate his constant snub on Nigeria as similar to the recent disposition of kenyans towards Nigerians. Remember the recent twitter spat. I know this post would fall on deaf ears because the president looks forward to this visits for reasons best known to him.

6 Likes

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by ajebuter(f): 9:29pm On Sep 09, 2016
*Singing Ebenezer Obey:s lyric**

You have travelled all over the world..Ajala travel all over the world...Ajala travel, ajala travel , ajala travel all over the world.....

OK..done singing..

Who wan beat me on candy crush?

15 Likes

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by agwom(m): 9:31pm On Sep 09, 2016
Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by basingstoke: 9:32pm On Sep 09, 2016
wen will he visit Nigeria again

14 Likes

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by stiyke(m): 9:56pm On Sep 09, 2016
Guess the next nation he will call for their freedom/independence. Maybe the Kurds??
Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by Emekamex(m): 10:29pm On Sep 09, 2016

36 Likes

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by mars123(m): 11:19pm On Sep 09, 2016
World leaders wey no send Nigeria. Some of them are even adding directly or indirectly to our woes. It's a crazy world!

Why I hate this assembly is that it doesn't add anything to our profile, the UNSC permanent seat we've been asking for years now, they no gree give us. Buhari will just go and be looking at people he envies in their eyes.

8 Likes

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by timeman: 1:02am On Sep 10, 2016
This kinda news automatically freezes wailers blood.
Kiss the truth!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by eleojo23: 3:23am On Sep 10, 2016
After a short break, Buhari's Global Tourism Initiative is back on course.

19 Likes

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by lielbree: 7:38am On Sep 10, 2016
Ever since buhari became president life changed for him for the better. However for those that put him there life became worse.

The change should end with buhari. Nigerians be wise come 2019. Let's vote for the best candidate whether in apc or pdp.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by StephanieLuv(f): 7:39am On Sep 10, 2016
Can't you guys leave this man alone, my Sai Buhari is going there for the good of the nation.

Sai Buhari.

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by Johnpaul2k2(m): 7:39am On Sep 10, 2016
grin
Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by doskie(m): 7:39am On Sep 10, 2016
Gandoki of daura Kingdom. Always on the move. Enjoy!

11 Likes

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by Tkayhandsome(m): 7:40am On Sep 10, 2016
And the clueless old man continues his frequent trip..
Quote me and die..

15 Likes

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by kenbee(f): 7:41am On Sep 10, 2016
In my opinion, He who his house is on fire doesn't pursue rat. Nigeria needs both immediate and long term ECONOMIC salvage plan, GMB should focus more on economy!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by AntiWailer: 7:41am On Sep 10, 2016
Wailers and their win win situation.

If he goes: Why is he traveling ?

If he does not : He is now sick and can not move. Why can't he go for this important one. grin ?

GEJ was there in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. In fact in 2013 it was on record that he went with 600 delegates.

I know you are frustrated and bitter about the country but criticizing Buhari for attending UN meeting does not show that you are smart or a good adviser. It shows the opposite.

So when we want to criticize, Let us do so with sense.

Bunch of Lazy brains, they will not read.

Taeewo:
Adelani Adepegba, Abuja

President Muhammadu Buhari will next week lead the Federal Government delegation to New York, the United States, where he will address the 71st regular session of the United Nations General Assembly on September 21, 2016.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, who stated this on Friday in Abuja, explained that the President would use the opportunity to build on his relationship with other world leaders and demand the recovery of looted funds stashed away in foreign countries.

According to him, the Federal Government will canvass the election of an Afro-centric UN Secretary-General, who will be pro-developing countries.

He stated that Buhari would also push for the candidature of Nigerians into various international agencies which he said had influence on UN policy and programmes globally.

Onyeama said it was absolutely important that Nigeria engaged in multilateral relations, noting that it had candidates for positions in International Civil Aviation Authority and the United Nations Human Rights Council.

He said the President would also engage the world leaders and seek their support in the areas of security, anti-corruption, governance and the economy where Nigeria is currently facing challenges.

The minister said, “It is an opportunity for the President to push for the reform of the UN, a UN that is more inclusive of more countries. It is another opportunity to engage world leaders and push for recovery of illicit and looted funds, address poverty, refugee issues and irregular migrants; this is an issue that is affecting our relationship with European countries.” Buhari, the minister added, would also sign the Paris Agreement on Climate Change which the United States and China, had earlier signed.

Onyeama added that during the trip, the President would also lead his delegation to the US-Africa Business Forum, where Nigeria would be the focus.

He said, “There will also be a high-level meeting on the humanitarian crisis in the Lake Chad region, the President is keen on addressing the problem of the Lake Chad which would cost $15bn and we would need to mobilize funding for the project.

http://punchng.com/buhari-demand-recovery-looted-funds-un-assembly/

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by emeijeh(m): 7:41am On Sep 10, 2016
B
Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by cindyrocks(f): 7:42am On Sep 10, 2016
A very good news indeed.

Please greet the well-fed Americans for me.

Also extend my regards to Obama for not ruling USA into recession.

Thank you in advance sir.

Safe journey.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by sabi99(m): 7:44am On Sep 10, 2016
Bon voyage to n fro mr president
Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by lielbree: 7:44am On Sep 10, 2016
AntiWailer:
Wailers and their win win situation.

If he goes: Why is he travelling.

If he does not : He is now sick and can not move. Why cnt he go for this important one. grin
Shut your trap pls.
If he stays and we see him working, telling Nigerians what economic plan he has in place to restore normalcy will we complain?
Typical zombie. I bet you can't afford rice anymore and you want to defend him. Nonsense

15 Likes

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by teric4love(m): 7:44am On Sep 10, 2016
this bit***again

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by wheesin(m): 7:44am On Sep 10, 2016
I've said it several times without number, you guys should remove the title "president " from this man's name. As at the day fuel pump price increased to a miserable #146, Nigeria ceased to have a president but an aso rock bed warmer. I'm tired of life as a Nigerian, the more I see citizens of wealthy countries living life to the fullest potential and worrying about things like the removal of ear phone jack from the iphone7. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by Itulah(m): 7:45am On Sep 10, 2016
“President Buhari is well regarded by the world leaders and it will give him opportunity to reconnect and engage them on various issues."

You must be joking grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari To Travel To New York On Tuesday For 71st UN General Assembly by otabuko(m): 7:45am On Sep 10, 2016
Tourist..... Continue your fruitless journeys....

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See The Moment Emir Of Kano Allegedly Left Kano For London Amid Probe (Pics) / It’s Illegal To Release Asset Declaration Of Public Officeholders - CCB / List Of Nigeria Vice Presidents From 1966 Till Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.