Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,470 members, 7,812,442 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:26 PM

Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. (3123 Views)

Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US / Post your photos of Igbo village houses here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by ezeagu(m): 12:56pm On Oct 08, 2009
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by candylips(m): 3:15pm On Oct 08, 2009
lol
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by throttler(f): 3:57pm On Oct 08, 2009
hope it comes with a real outback(latrine) cheesy, else it wont be a real igbo village.
it its true, since writer didnt quote his source, then obu ihe oma na ndi igbo na ahapu footprinti ha na ebe obula ha gara, igbo bu igbo kwezuo nu! hia
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by throttler(f): 3:59pm On Oct 08, 2009
ok, i just saw the youtube link, i wont bother clicking it, cos multilinks will take 1yr 3.5 days to show it to me angry.

igbo e meriele ha grin
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by ezeagu(m): 4:50pm On Oct 08, 2009
throttler:

ok, i just saw the youtube link, i wont bother clicking it, cos multilinks will take 1yr 3.5 days to show it to me angry.

igbo e meriele ha grin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcmv/

throttler:

hope it comes with a real outback(latrine) cheesy, else it wont be a real igbo village.
it its true, since writer didnt quote his source, then obu ihe oma na ndi igbo na ahapu footprinti ha na ebe obula ha gara, igbo bu igbo kwezuo nu! hia

It's a museum piece for the Frontier Cultural Museum of Virginia in honor of the West African slaves that built colonial Virginia, an Igbo styled village was chosen for the exhibit because Igbo people made up more than 40% of Virginias slave population.

http://www.frontiermuseum.org/WestAfrica.html
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by udezue(m): 4:54pm On Oct 08, 2009
I know one of the people in that video from Umu Igbo Alliance in Chicago. I was supposed to go but school in TX got me tied down. Good job. Igbo mma mma nu
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by ezeagu(m): 4:57pm On Oct 08, 2009
[size=18pt]Does this mean that Igbo people have a lot of apologising to do to both West Indians and Virginians?[/size]
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by AloyEmeka3: 11:37pm On Oct 08, 2009
That little boy is very funny. very slimy. grin grin grin grin
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by mamagee6(f): 4:18am On Oct 09, 2009
ezeagu:

[size=18pt]Does this mean that Igbo people have a lot of apologising to do to both West Indians and Virginians?[/size]

No, it simply means that fat mofos like you need to just watch the video and be happy for Nigerians having a voice outside Nigeria. angry angry
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by ezeagu(m): 8:39am On Oct 09, 2009
,mama-gee:

No, it simply means that fat mofos like you need to just watch the video and be happy for Nigerians having a voice outside Nigeria. angry angry

The village has nothing to do with Nigeria, do you know what the village is even being built for? It's not to show off Igbo culture, its a memorial.
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by throttler(f): 11:23am On Oct 09, 2009
if so, then, down with this thread angry, cos its beginning to muddle my brain angry.

are they paying tribute to igbo by building an igbo styled museum?
if they are responsible for the slave trade, who took them there in the first place undecided
if it is a bad thing, was a german styled village built in isreal to commemorate what germans did to isrealites in sobibor?
angry
i dont understand the essence of this, sooooo poster, we have a lot of stuff to talk about than what igbo did and dint do

besides if they did export slaves to america, maybe we should be grateful to them, cos now people are looking for how to escape to america, and are rejected, so they gave citizenship to the ones who were forced there angry

maybe igbo should resume slave trade so that it will be free visa to willing folks

abeg leave igbo alone o! if cow shit, it is igbo that told the cow to shit, if k-leg happen, it is igbo that caused the k-leg. na wah o
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by ezeagu(m): 11:39am On Oct 09, 2009
throttler:

if so, then, down with this thread angry, cos its beginning to muddle my brain angry.

are they paying tribute to igbo by building an igbo styled museum?
if they are responsible for the slave trade, who took them there in the first place undecided
if it is a bad thing, was a german styled village built in isreal to commemorate what germans did to isrealites  in sobibor?
angry
i dont understand the essence of this, sooooo poster, we have a lot of stuff to talk about than what igbo did and dint do

besides if they did export slaves to america, maybe we should be grateful to them, cos now people are looking for how to escape to america, and are rejected, so they gave citizenship to the ones who were forced there angry

maybe igbo should resume slave trade so that it will be free visa to willing folks

abeg leave igbo alone o! if cow shit, it is igbo that told the cow to shit, if k-leg happen, it is igbo that caused the k-leg. na wah o

You went on a tangent, there really isn't anything to be ofended about. It's fact that Igbo people sold slaves, as well as being captured to be sold as slaves. The Igbo installation is in memorial of those Igbo people that were captured and brought to Virginia. My question was that now that we know most o Virginia and the Caribbean is Igbo, do the Igbo need to apologise for the slavery like Ghana has already done?  Without the cooperation of Igbo people, Igbo people wouldn't be in those places, and thats the truth.
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by throttler(f): 12:39pm On Oct 09, 2009
ezeagu:

You went on a tangent, there really isn't anything to be ofended about. It's fact that Igbo people sold slaves, as well as being captured to be sold as slaves. The Igbo installation is in memorial of those Igbo people that were captured and brought to Virginia. My question was that now that we know most o Virginia and the Caribbean is Igbo, do the Igbo need to apologise for the slavery like Ghana has already done? Without the cooperation of Igbo people, Igbo people wouldn't be in those places, and thats the truth.

ezeagu, ezi nna igbo. ikwesiri ichefu topic a, nwatakiri anahgi apu na iro kwuo na ofe nne ya adighi uto, ma obu na ogbara uka. oburu eziokwu na ndi igbo mere slave trade, obu onye igbo ga asi ka e shame-uo ha maka ya? nmba nu. rapu okwu a.
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by ezeagu(m): 1:34pm On Oct 09, 2009
throttler:

ezeagu, ezi nna igbo. ikwesiri ichefu topic a, nwatakiri anahgi apu na iro kwuo na ofe nne ya adighi uto, ma obu na ogbara uka. oburu eziokwu na ndi igbo mere slave trade, obu onye igbo ga asi ka e shame-uo ha maka ya? nmba nu. rapu okwu a.

I understand, mana i kweshiri ma na izafu okwu tinye ya okpuru ala, o ga a di nma. Almost all nations in Africa sold slaves, and its an issue that should be addressed just like Europeans have started to address their own involvement in the trade. This would also give better understand and information to the victims of the trade that already think we all sold them.

Go to Arochukwu and you will see that there is a trail that leads dozens of miles into Igboland past major cities like Umuahia, this is where the Aro used to bring their slaves down to the shore from. I'm not saying all ancestors of the Igbo sold slaves, because thats not true, but a lot of them did, and a lot of times it was because of a crime that the victim committed. Hausa sold slaves, Yoruba sold slaves, Efik/Ibibio sold slaves, Ijaw sold slaves, everybody had slavers.
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by throttler(f): 9:33pm On Oct 10, 2009
ahotara'm ihe ina ekwu. i pray that history is actually explained better. my greatgrandma died this year, but she had first hand knowledge of omenuko, tjhe famed trader of ( i think arondizuogu or arochukwu), it cant be denied, just the same way pencil jean cant be denied by this generation, ev en though the next generation may think it is hideous grin, and the generation after next may think it is waayyyycooool.

seriously, i thik i am too goofy to find this slave trade issue serious. embarassed, i think if i had been a slave, i may have turned out a happy slave despite al odds., or a dead-at-arrival slave from annoying my master with my goofy nature grin lipsrsealed
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by ezeagu(m): 11:15pm On Oct 10, 2009
throttler:

seriously, i thik i am too goofy to find this slave trade issue serious. embarassed, i think if i had been a slave, i may have turned out a happy slave despite al odds., or a dead-at-arrival slave from annoying my master with my goofy nature grin lipsrsealed

grin Well I don't know how happy you would have been after you would have been raped and impregnated by your master, then after your pregnancy your child is then sold to another family thousands of miles away. Or maybe after you witness your friends and family being tortured including whippings, being forced to wear devices of torture, hangings and burnings. Some people are really strong anyway.

Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by Nobody: 1:14am On Oct 11, 2009
Igbo people have suffered!!!

both in Africa and in far away America!!!

thank goodness times have changed sha- at least now they can reap the fruit of their labor after 400 years of slavery.

Only the best and strongest Igbos were taken out of Igboland, so thats why they (AAs) are so resilient and hardy today.

The ghetto AAs must be from the Carribean where the nastier Igbos were taken.
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by Nobody: 1:15am On Oct 11, 2009
ezeagu hope you arent annoyed by aloy emeka's starting a thread on one Yoruba village in north carolina.

I'm sure the Igbo village will be bigger and better than that one. It (the Yoruba village) will soon shut down sef.

who dash Yorubas.
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by throttler(f): 4:07pm On Oct 11, 2009
ezeagu:

grin Well I don't know how happy you would have been after you would have been raped and impregnated by your master, then after your pregnancy your child is then sold to another family thousands of miles away. Or maybe after you witness your friends and family being tortured including whippings, being forced to wear devices of torture, hangings and burnings. Some people are really strong anyway.

truth, brother. that is a really horrific sight. man has truly been inhuman to his fellow man. my hubys uncle visited us today, from abuja, and he truly admitted that slaves were sold by arochukwu, and many parts of igbo land. though dead and gone, the ravages of their trade has remained, people that dont know where they came from, will see the part of their fathers family and may go ahead to marry them, because they say they are americans and you say you are probably ghanaian. i cried like i was mourning when i saw the film of what germans did to isreal in sobibor, and i said for the free world, NEVER AGAIN!, nut it is still happening so many places, american soldiers raped a 14yr old girl in afghan(?), killed and burned her home to cover evidence. what is that mattew(?) fox film were soldiers held an asian girl captive even as she had acute fever, raping her for days. and still shot her. its truly horrendous. i say, it all starts from trying our best to raise humane children that will love and respect life, that can feel pain, and recognise when someone is in pain. may it never happen again. amen
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by africhika(f): 4:40pm On Oct 11, 2009
i think the memorial is a great idea.

quote from[b] udezue:[/b]
« #5 on: October 08, 2009, 10:54 AM »

I know one of the people in that video from Umu Igbo Alliance in Chicago.

i just joined UIA-Chicago cool
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by candylips(m): 7:38pm On Oct 11, 2009
nice one
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by ezeagu(m): 7:35pm On Nov 25, 2010
It's now completed.
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by excanny: 12:18am On Nov 26, 2010
Only the Aros should apologize to all Igbos for the atrocities of the slave trade committed against their own brothers.

And the Ngwas should be thanked for opposing and finally leading the British to defeat the Aro Confederacy, thus ending slave trade in Igbland.

The Aros knew that British
penetration would destroy their
dominance. They also opposed
their religion, Christianity, which
some of the Aros were
converting to. Aro rulers saw the
new religion as a British method
of peacefully capturing Aro
territories. Aro raids and
invasions on many communities
were conducted in order to bully
those who favored the British.
But the Aro invasion of Obegu
around November 1901 signaled
for the direct invasion of
Arochukwu. 400 people died and
the government of Obegu was
destroyed. Obegu was a town
belonging to the rival Ngwa clan
which had been at war with the
Aros for many years and was
siding with the British
. After this
attack, the British would
retaliate.

www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Aro_Confederacy
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by ChinenyeN(m): 2:11am On Nov 26, 2010
[quote="excanny"]Only the Aros should apologize to all Igbos for the atrocities of the slave trade committed against their own brothers[/quote]
Whoa, let's not be hasty now, tossing words around like that.
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by ezeagu(m): 3:33am On Nov 26, 2010
excanny:

Only the Aros should apologize to all Igbos for the atrocities of the slave trade committed against their own brothers.

No, what about the slave traders of all the Igbo towns and villages. What about the infamous Aboh? What about the Onicha and Asaba slave markets? What about all those who actually received money from the Aro for slaves?
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by asha80(m): 3:58am On Nov 26, 2010
ezeagu:

No, what about the slave traders of all the Igbo towns and villages. What about the infamous Aboh? What about the Onicha and Asaba slave markets? What about all those who actually received money from the Aro for slaves?

Off topic

See what do you think is the population of Onicha and its environs?
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by excanny: 7:33am On Nov 26, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Whoa, let's not be hasty now, tossing words around like that.

I may have used the word 'aro' loosely, but what i meant was all those groups involved in the Aro Confederacy and some other remote allies.

It only took the defeat of the slave trading ring (headed principally by Aro forces who conducted several raids neighbouring communities to capture the inhabitants and sell them off as slaves) for the slave trade to end in Igboland, even when it was outlawed internationally some 60 years ago in 1833 or thereabout.

Personally, i have nothing against the Aros. I'm not just making up facts here. there's been similar calls from various quarters, and if the wider society demands such an apology from the king pins of that slave trading act, those concerned should do so.
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by ChinenyeN(m): 5:32pm On Nov 26, 2010
excanny:

I may have used the word 'aro' loosely, but what i meant was all those groups involved in the Aro Confederacy and some other remote allies.

It only took the defeat of the slave trading ring (headed principally by Aro forces who conducted several raids neighbouring communities to capture the inhabitants and sell them off as slaves) for the slave trade to end in Igboland, even when it was outlawed internationally some 60 years ago in 1833 or thereabout.

Personally, i have nothing against the Aros. I'm not just making up facts here. there's been similar calls from various quarters, and if the wider society demands such an apology from the king pins of that slave trading act, those concerned should do so.
No, I meant your use of "brothers".
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by excanny: 6:01pm On Nov 26, 2010
ChinenyeN:

No, I meant your use of "brothers".

Well, I feel we all belong to the same Igbo family, i mean all Igbo tribes are brothers.

However, i'm aware of the fact that other ethnics were also sold off. So i think i my use of 'brothers' was a bit economical.
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by ChinenyeN(m): 6:29pm On Nov 26, 2010
excanny:

Well, I feel we all belong to the same Igbo family, i mean all Igbo tribes are brothers.
Well, that's not what they felt when they were merrily raiding "fellow Igbo" communities.
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by ezeagu(m): 6:34pm On Nov 26, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Well, that's not what they felt when they were merrily raiding "fellow Igbo" communities.

I know of villages that had members who went to war with/raided the other part of their own village.
Re: Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. by ChinenyeN(m): 6:39pm On Nov 26, 2010
ezeagu:

I know of villages that had members who went to war with/raided the other part of their own village.
That doesn't come as a surprise to me, but it isn't the same thing as what I'm talking about. You know that (or am I being presumptuous here?).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Funny Bus Stop Names In Lagos, And Other Places? / Ibo Girls And Yoruba Girls Which One Will U Prefer Guys / Africans In America Who Have Decided To Live The "urban" Ghetto Lifestyle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.