Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:59 AM

Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal (62023 Views)

Blessing Oborududu Wins Gold At Comonwealth Games (Photos) / Paralympics: Flora Ugwunwa Wins Gold Medal For Nigeria / Ezuruike Wins Gold At RIO Paralympic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by lalasticlala(m): 8:23pm On Sep 13, 2016
Nigeria's Nollywood winner and other Paralympic surprises

Nigeria's Paralympic team is grabbing medals left, right and centre.

At the half-way point through the games you may not know about the team.

1. A gold medal has been won by a Nollywood actress

When Lauritta Onye threw a shot put 8.40m she not only won gold but broke a word record.
The Nigerian Paralympic gold medallist is also known as…. Laury White.
Under that name she starred in the Nollywood film Lords of Money in 2015.
Her performance skills were put to good use on Sunday night when she celebrated her victory in acrobatic style in front of the cameras.

2. More medals than the Olympic team

Nigeria's Paralympians already have six golds, two silvers and one bronze medal.
That's compared to Nigeria's Olympic team which only took home one bronze for football last month.
At the half-way point Nigeria's Paralympic team is 10th in the medal table and top among African countries, whereas the Olympians were joint 78th by the end.

3. It's not the first time

At London 2012 the country won 13 medals at the Paralympic Games and not one single medal in the Olympics.
And again they came home with more medals in 2008, 2004, 2000 and 1996.
A point not missed by some Nigerians on Twitter:

Before this Games, the former director of the National Sports Commission went as far as to say that he hoped the Paralympians would "erase the shame of the dismal showing at the Olympic Games", reports Nigeria's Daily Trust.

4 Serial record breaker

Weightlifter Lucy Ejike broke a world record on Sunday to win gold with a lift of 142kg in the women's under-61kg event.

It the third time she has broken a world record - in Beijing in 2008 she broke two during the under-48kg event.
The 38-year-old wheelchair user has won three gold medals since she started competing in 2000.

5. Powerlifting dominates

Only one of Nigeria's nine medals is not in powerlifting - so far it has five Paralympic powerlifting golds, two silvers and one bronze.

That's added to 15 other powerlifting gold medals since Nigeria started competing in 1992.
But then the numbers are against the other Paralympians - 14 of the 23 Nigerian competitors are powerlifters.

This doesn't appear to be by accident.

After the powerlifters came back from the 2012 Paralympics with 12 medals the then Sports Minister Bolaji Abdullahi told the UK's Guardian paper that Nigeria would just put money into a few sports where they have a comparative advantage.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-37348488?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Here is interview Lauritta Onye a.k.a Laury White, the actress granted to THENET.NG

[img]http://2.bp..com/-s6aKMlsLGxM/VS48osrlEXI/AAAAAAAADO8/zoIqrdkuiac/s1600/lauritta%2Bonye2.jpg[/img]

Pint sized Nigerian actress, Lauritta Onye a.k.a Laury White has observed that her biggest challenge coming up in the industry has been her physical frame.

The Imo State-born actress, who has also been into athletics for the past seven years, however, quickly added that she has no regrets about anything in her life. ‘I appreciate all what God has done for me and it all has a purpose.’

‘One of the challenges I face is that people don’t respect me because of my stature/size. They feel they are older than me. They discriminate and also insult people with disabilities.’

Lauritta, who starred in Lords of Money also stated that: ‘My advice is that people should stop discriminating; we are all equal in the sight of God and people should not take anything as an excuse due to disability because there is ability in disability.’

http://thenet.ng/2015/04/people-dont-respect-me-because-of-my-size-lauritta-onye/

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by simplemach(m): 8:25pm On Sep 13, 2016
Congrats to her
Indeed there's ability in disability
What the abled can do, the disabled can do better...

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by ladyF(f): 8:27pm On Sep 13, 2016
Awnnn....Happy for them.

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

[size=5pt]Make I go continue my search for Skrill funds...freelancers, forexers, biko epp me. N390/$[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by madridguy(m): 8:27pm On Sep 13, 2016
Up Naija.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by Flexherbal(m): 8:30pm On Sep 13, 2016
They are making us proud. God bless them.

9 Likes

Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by veekid(m): 8:43pm On Sep 13, 2016
Good of em

1 Like

Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by acehensy: 8:43pm On Sep 13, 2016
simplemach:
Congrats to her
Indeed there's ability in disability
Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by PrinceAbinibi: 8:44pm On Sep 13, 2016
tongue
Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by Dshocker(m): 8:44pm On Sep 13, 2016
And after the tournament,my government will surly abandon em to their fate

25 Likes

Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by Nobody: 8:44pm On Sep 13, 2016
Woww

Congrats to her kiss
Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by brainbox1000(m): 8:45pm On Sep 13, 2016
Congrat
Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by icebird25(m): 8:46pm On Sep 13, 2016
right done guys keep it up
Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by iOluwaMichael(m): 8:47pm On Sep 13, 2016
We really need to celebrate these paralympians.

1 Like

Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 13, 2016
i no go talk
Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by Danhumprey: 8:47pm On Sep 13, 2016
Somebody help me understand. How are these disabled athletes able to win gold medals whereas the able-bodied ones couldn't win even silver?

15 Likes

Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 13, 2016
K embarassed
Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by gbadexy(m): 8:48pm On Sep 13, 2016
I'm not too surprised. The physically challenged have it easy in most foreign countries with laws passed to make life easy for them.
The struggle they face in nigeria daily is in itself a form training.

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by Nobody: 8:49pm On Sep 13, 2016
K.. embarassed
Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by Hadeyeancah(m): 8:50pm On Sep 13, 2016
Congrats to them
Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by seniormallam(m): 8:50pm On Sep 13, 2016
if they can do what able persons can not do, please they should come and take over the country,s leadership, able people been doing it since amalgamation and no result.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by adewumiopeyemi(m): 8:50pm On Sep 13, 2016
nice one... angry grin grin grin
Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by dhamstar(m): 8:52pm On Sep 13, 2016
I THINK IT'S HIGH TIME NIGERIA STOPPED WASTING TIME, ENERGY & RESOURCES ON THE OLYMPIC. WE SHOULD CONCENTRATE MUCH MORE ON THE PARALYMPICS & OUR PARALYMPIANS SIMPLY BECAUSE WHAT THE OLYMPIANS COULDN'T DO, THE PARALYMPIANS ALWAYS DO BETTER..

MY 2NAIRA COZ DOLLAR NOW NA GOLD.....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by Hadeyeancah(m): 8:52pm On Sep 13, 2016
PrinceAbinibi:
With the way she celebrated, are you sure she is xxxxx, I wont be surprised if we sent some abled body, this gold winnings is suspicious, Before missiles are thrown, tell me Naija no fit tongue

22 Likes

Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by Lilimax(f): 8:52pm On Sep 13, 2016
Biko, are there no disabled Ndi ugwu among the Paralympics athletes? Kedudi Ife ndi awusa nu nwa passitalu? embarassed Congratulations to you people for making us proud! smiley

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by horlamitijide(m): 8:53pm On Sep 13, 2016
Now I know dat diaris more ability in disability
Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by ifyalways(f): 8:53pm On Sep 13, 2016
This is so heartwarming. Something for that Dalung to gloat on.
Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by belonare: 8:54pm On Sep 13, 2016
Go nigeria, go!!!

1 Like

Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by Tripleoluwa(m): 8:56pm On Sep 13, 2016
I know this babe º°˚˚°ºo. Chai. She used to live with her husband in Bariga Lagos b4 the husband get gbege with police ontop bunkery matter wey later carry am go prison. Very fresh a lady if you see her. Congrats to her and Nigerians

4 Likes

Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by MARKone(m): 8:57pm On Sep 13, 2016
Congratulations
Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by juman(m): 8:58pm On Sep 13, 2016
nigeria is getting medals because most countries do not care much preparing for Paralympics.
Re: Paralympics: Nollywood Actress, Lauritta Onye, Wins Gold Medal by victorazy(m): 8:59pm On Sep 13, 2016
Indeed Nigeria is sick.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

World Cup: Victor Moses Reveals What Chelsea Players Said About Nigeria’s Group / Omoyemi Yekini Graduates From University Of Ilorin (Photos) / Ladies Fight Over Maduka Okoye (super Eagles Goalkeeper ) After A Recent Post

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.