Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know (8241 Views)

Whogohost.com VS Domainking.ng – Who Does It Better In Providing Web Hosting / 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing / Factors Bloggers Should Understand To Improve Blog Traffic. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by GadgetsR: 10:24pm On Sep 14, 2016

Having a prior knowledge of anything before we commit our time is very important so as not to err in the process. To ensure my own aspiring blogger have the needed info before s/he jump into hosting his or her website, I have decided to talk about the difference between hosting on and WordPress.org. Enjoy!

Hello friend, before you venture into blogging or hosting your domain on the publishing platform called WordPress, it’s very important you understand the difference between WordPress.org and . Although both are from the same parent, they offer relatively different services.

I am going to explain the difference between WordPress.org and so you have a better understanding on which platform to host your domain.

Let me quickly brief you on the history.

Brief History of and WordPress.org

WordPress.org is a free publishing platform which is often referred to as an open source content management system. What this means is that it is a software that anyone can download and use for free to build a website without having any knowledge of codding. It is basically What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG).

As time goes by, users of WordPress.org started demanding for more features like automatic backup, security, auto update and so on. Matt Mullenweg, the Co-Founder of WordPress observed the users demand, and in order to meet their wants and desires, he created

is a shared hosting platform. is responsible for handling all of the updates, backups, and security for its users. is managed by dedicated employees whose duties spans from developing, maintaining to offering a 24/7 support on the platform.

What are the basic differences?

Hosting

Hosting your domain on is done on server(s) while hosting your domain on WordPress.org is done on another host server like GoDaddy, HostGator, BlueHost etc.

Tools

Security, auto backups etc. are offered automatically on for your site while you need to perform security, auto backups for your WordPress.org site.

Social Media

is integrated with built in social media networks while WordPress.org require you to have a plugin to enable sharing functionality with your website.

Website Stats

is integrated with features such as your domain’s stats, sharing, poll etc. while WorPress.org requires you to install plugins to increase your site’s functionality

Theme Design

WorPress.com allows to you to choose from various theme’s design while WordPress.org requires that you install custom themes. You can even build you’re theme and upload

Registration

Installing WordPress on requires you register and abide to the rules and regulations while no ‘serious’ registration is done on WordPress.org. Registration is done with your host server and it requires a one-time installation from the cPanel.

Technical Support

Personal technical support is offered on while support on WordPress.org is usually through WordPress forums.

Drop a comment! Let's hear from you.

Xoxo

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by Nobody: 10:48pm On Sep 14, 2016
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by GadgetsR: 8:50am On Sep 15, 2016
Gidimasters2:

Why the face Gidimasters2, What's your opinion?
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by Nobody: 9:07am On Sep 15, 2016
GadgetsR:

cool
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by Nobody: 9:07am On Sep 15, 2016
GadgetsR:

Lalasticlala ooo food is readily available
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by obontami: 6:52am On Sep 20, 2016
Hateu2 get over here grin
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by soccerpundit(m): 6:54am On Sep 20, 2016
this is incredibly incredible
check my signature
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by Victorakats(m): 6:55am On Sep 20, 2016
Thanks for the information!

Visit www.amaraofficial.com today!

1 Like

Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by techinfong: 6:57am On Sep 20, 2016
Incredible
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by Princejebs(m): 7:02am On Sep 20, 2016
GadgetsR:

Having a prior knowledge of anything before we commit our time is very important so as not to err in the process. To ensure my own aspiring blogger have the needed info before s/he jump into hosting his or her website, I have decided to talk about the difference between hosting on and WordPress.org. Enjoy!

Hello friend, before you venture into blogging or hosting your domain on the publishing platform called WordPress, it’s very important you understand the difference between WordPress.org and . Although both are from the same parent, they offer relatively different services.

I am going to explain the difference between WordPress.org and so you have a better understanding on which platform to host your domain.

Let me quickly brief you on the history.

Brief History of and WordPress.org

WordPress.org is a free publishing platform which is often referred to as an open source content management system. What this means is that it is a software that anyone can download and use for free to build a website without having any knowledge of codding. It is basically What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG).

As time goes by, users of WordPress.org started demanding for more features like automatic backup, security, auto update and so on. Matt Mullenweg, the Co-Founder of WordPress observed the users demand, and in order to meet their wants and desires, he created

is a shared hosting platform. is responsible for handling all of the updates, backups, and security for its users. is managed by dedicated employees whose duties spans from developing, maintaining to offering a 24/7 support on the platform.

What are the basic differences?

Hosting

Hosting your domain on is done on server(s) while hosting your domain on WordPress.org is done on another host server like GoDaddy, HostGator, BlueHost etc.

Tools

Security, auto backups etc. are offered automatically on for your site while you need to perform security, auto backups for your WordPress.org site.

Social Media

is integrated with built in social media networks while WordPress.org require you to have a plugin to enable sharing functionality with your website.

Website Stats

is integrated with features such as your domain’s stats, sharing, poll etc. while WorPress.org requires you to install plugins to increase your site’s functionality

Theme Design

WorPress.com allows to you to choose from various theme’s design while WordPress.org requires that you install custom themes. You can even build you’re theme and upload

Registration

Installing WordPress on requires you register and abide to the rules and regulations while no ‘serious’ registration is done on WordPress.org. Registration is done with your host server and it requires a one-time installation from the cPanel.

Technical Support

Personal technical support is offered on while support on WordPress.org is usually through WordPress forums.

Drop a comment! Let's hear from you.

Xoxo

Op,which 1 will you advice aspiring bloggers to go for?
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by Gkemz: 7:04am On Sep 20, 2016
is a modified version of WordPress.org

1 Like

Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by mercyviv(f): 7:13am On Sep 20, 2016
Why would anyone want to blog on

2 Likes

Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by gregJN: 7:17am On Sep 20, 2016
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by Antidote77: 7:18am On Sep 20, 2016
I learn on Nairaland everyday. thank you Seun and the op
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by Emeka71(m): 7:22am On Sep 20, 2016
I think is free ; wordpress.org is paid for.

1 Like

Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by yomalex(m): 7:27am On Sep 20, 2016
Wordpress.org is limitless. Need a web solution head over to www.tetralix.com.ng
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by Doubleoo(m): 7:29am On Sep 20, 2016
mercyviv:
Why would anyone want to blog on

Because WordPress.org doesn't offers web hosting and some advanced features like auto backup, domain extensions, priority support, and no guarantee of full compatibility of software upgrades with external hosting companies. When you host your blog with wordprrss.com, you wont have issues with script upgrade because their platforms are fully supported. It is important for you to know that WordPress.org is the theme and plugins directory, and you cannot host even a free WordPress blog there.
Wordpress.org is fully available for you if you've already gotten a hosting package, either with or other providers such as Namecheap, godaddy and the rest.
i hope i have been able to answer your question. You may want to read my blog and learn more about Digital marketing in Nigeria
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by Doubleoo(m): 7:30am On Sep 20, 2016
Emeka71:
I think is free ; wordpress.org is paid for.
Wrong. Kindly read my previous comment.
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by hUmaneOne: 7:35am On Sep 20, 2016
One is a blog host like blogger and the other is a CMS like joomla and drupal which needs advanced setup.simple
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by Doubleoo(m): 7:39am On Sep 20, 2016
yomalex:
Wordpress.org is limitless. Need a web solution head over to www.tetralixtech.com
Limitless in what sense? It is not, except that you get access to pretty much all the themes and plugins in their server.
If you need more explanation, kindly reply below. BTW, you can learn more about the Factors Affecting DIgital Marketing in Nigeria
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by yomalex(m): 7:46am On Sep 20, 2016
Doubleoo:

Limitless in what sense? It is not, except that you get access to pretty much all the themes and plugins in their server.
If you need more explanation, kindly reply below.
Limitless in all sense. Whose server? I don't need more explanation
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by Emeka71(m): 7:55am On Sep 20, 2016
Doubleoo:

Wrong. Kindly read my previous comment.
That is what I am saying that wordpress.org requires you to pay for hosting; is absolutely free.
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by JeffreyJames(m): 8:04am On Sep 20, 2016
This article is a little bit deceitful. You can't have a custom domain hosted on . When you open a blog with , you get a domain like mysite.WordPress. com. When you decide to get your own custom domain, WordPress directs you to many of their hosting partners and WordPress itself....

And all those talk about features and all, is limited. Wordpress.org is Limitless. You can do virtually anything. There are certain things you can't do with like using of plugins.

As for the automatic back up and updates, once you have a WordPress account you back up your wordpress.org website.

1 Like

Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by olurock123: 8:12am On Sep 20, 2016
nice write up.

Do u desire IT? do u hav any IT related job/ assignment? Do u nid a standard website on low price? do u hav a blog and you nid an expert to manage it 4 u? If ur ans is YES, join d best IT team....

For your IT service....
website design and development, join us at
www.bestbraintech.com
whatsapp: 08162015270
facebook: facebook.com/bestbraintech
mail: info@bestbraintech.com
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by bsideboii(m): 8:16am On Sep 20, 2016
Been postponing starting up my own blog for years now...Thinking on d best niche,Hw long its going to take for me to monetize and how time consuming it's going to be.Anybody can help me with some tips .

#peace
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by Nobody: 8:23am On Sep 20, 2016
obontami:
Hate.u2 get over here grin
Thanks rovv kiss kiss
Lemme read
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by sportman117: 8:30am On Sep 20, 2016
Nice one,very interesting topic. Naijabet man say so
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by Phiniter(m): 8:31am On Sep 20, 2016
Interesting.
Re: VS WordPress.org - What Aspiring Bloggers Should Know by dimexy247(m): 8:54am On Sep 20, 2016
ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Navy Website On Crude-Oil Theft / How To Rank A Website Faster On Google - Victorwinners.com / 9 Ways To Make Your Blog Popular

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.