Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,030 members, 7,810,836 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:38 PM

My Mechanised Farming Experience - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Mechanised Farming Experience (4006 Views)

My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer / My Cucumber Farming Experience In Lagos / A Nairalander's Farming Experience In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 11:11pm On Sep 14, 2016
This thread is to document my mechanised farming experience.

We just received most of the equipment for the farming. Hopefully this dry season will give us opportunity to put them to work.

Feel free to give us any advice you think can help us.
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 11:15pm On Sep 14, 2016
First to discuss is the land. We have done farms previously in Delta state, Edo State and Oyo state.

The verdict is that Delta state is better for us due to the longer length of the farming season. So we have settled for Delta state and leased 100 acres for a start. We can get thousands of acres if we want, but we have started with 100 acres.
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 11:25pm On Sep 14, 2016
Tractors, they are great inventions, there is nothing like mechanised crop farming without tractors.

We got two tractors. One Ford TW-10 tractor and one MF 3670 tractor.

The Ford is old model tractor so it should be easier for the local mechanics to repair while the MF 3670 is newer model with such nice things as automatic gear system, air conditioned cabin, nice electronics controls and even a mini fridge and fm radio.

I like the MF tractor, but electronics and Nigeria technicians are parallel lines. So this is one are I think we will be needing support. How to get a reliable maintenance team for the MF3670 tractor
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 11:47pm On Sep 14, 2016
Available farmlands as far as the eyes can see and lots of rain

1 Like

Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 11:50pm On Sep 14, 2016
More on the farm lands

Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by Neduzze5(m): 12:11am On Sep 15, 2016
Following boss man... Hope we get to see pictures of the tractors soon
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by oblo(m): 12:26am On Sep 15, 2016
Here.... grin

I wish i had access to tractors.

Makes farming so much more attractive and cheaper
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by kehindetawede: 12:29am On Sep 15, 2016
Nice moves. More details please. Cheers.
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by saliubello(m): 8:31am On Sep 15, 2016
I'm all ears sir
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by Ajusshi: 10:33pm On Sep 15, 2016
ogb5:
More on the farm lands
Which part of Delta state?
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 11:54pm On Sep 15, 2016
Ajusshi:
Which part of Delta state?
Delta central
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 11:56pm On Sep 15, 2016
Today was eventful. We tried several ways of clearing the land.

First let me share some pictures
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by bayplus: 12:11am On Sep 16, 2016
waiting for the all important and perhaps inspiring pictures
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 9:06pm On Sep 16, 2016
Attaching the pictures has been difficult.
I will keep trying
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by Preciousseed(m): 11:43pm On Sep 16, 2016
Nice thread.....following !
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by AreaFada2: 5:34am On Sep 17, 2016
Very nice
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 10:57pm On Sep 18, 2016
Ford TW10 Tractor

Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 10:59pm On Sep 18, 2016
More

Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 11:03pm On Sep 18, 2016
At long last I have found a way of attaching the pictures easily. I found that the pictures are over 4mb in size and NL simply refuses to attach pictures that are over 4mb in size.

I now send them to myself through WhatsApp for size compression before loading on NL
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 11:05pm On Sep 18, 2016
Like I said previously, the above Ford TW10 Tractor is 170 hp, so I expect some real power from it. However it is 2 wheel drive, which might turn out to be a downside.

I have seen the front wheels go up in the air when testing one of Plough, which means that we might probably get some weights to put in the front.
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 11:10pm On Sep 18, 2016
This is the lovely MF3670.
It has a rating of 121 hp and is 4 wheel drive with lots of electronic controls.

Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 11:16pm On Sep 18, 2016
I will probably say a few things about the implements since a tractor without the implement is of little use
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 11:25pm On Sep 18, 2016
Reversible disc Plough .
We bought 2 of these to ensure that both tractors can Plough simultaneously

Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 11:37pm On Sep 18, 2016
40ft boom sprayer

Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 4:48am On Sep 19, 2016
The boom sprayer will be used for application of herbicides and pesticides.

We should be able to cover 100 acres easily with it in one day.
To ensure uniform coverage with herbicides and pesticides, we will apply chemicals in 3 runs to each place.
That means we will apply 1/3 of the required chemical concentration per pass on the sprayer over any given area and make 3 passes through each area, each pass facing different directions.

This multiple pass procedure ensures that the likelihood of missing an area is minimised during herbicides and pesticide applications.

With a boom sprayer, you can easily do multiple spray runs over the same plot, it will be to expensive and cumbersome to do multiple spraying of a plot with a manual knapsack sprayer.
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 4:59am On Sep 19, 2016
Disc Harrow

Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 6:29am On Sep 19, 2016
We hope to level the ploughed land with the disc Harrow. This came with tyres so it can be transported without lifting it with the tractor.

A few days ago we made a trial of running the Harrow across the weed so as to level off the weed. Thereafter we will spray contact herbicides on the weed and the burn the thrash after thee has died. This should have been an alternative to bush clearing.

At the end it was better to plough the land with the disc plough. This ensured that the weed are ploughed into the soil improving the soil organic matter content and saving on the cost of land preparation
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 7:00am On Sep 19, 2016
8-row corn and soybean planter

Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by Nobody: 7:06am On Sep 19, 2016
This is what I call being serious, op where's ur location? Lemme know if would consider coming for excursion.
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 7:25am On Sep 19, 2016
SnowJay92:
This is what I call being serious, op where's ur location? Lemme know if would consider coming for excursion.

This farm is in Delta state close to Sapele.
We have not yet fixed the excursion fee, once excursion fee is fixed you will be contacted. grin

1 Like

Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 7:39am On Sep 19, 2016
The corner and soybean planter has a separate compartment for fertiliser, so it plants the corn and applies fertiliser simultaneously.

It plants 8 rows simultaneously.
We intend to plant the corn at a crop density of 30,000 stands per hectare. I think we should be fine with that.

On weed management of the corn farm, we intend to apply the start clean and stay clean principle, that means all weed will be killed from the plot before planting and pre-emergent herbicides will be used to prevent weed from growing after planting the corn.

Doing this will require timely and fast application of herbicides since most weed seeds germinate in a couple of days. That is where the boom sprayer and 8-row corn planter will come in handy.

In fact we can use one tractor to plant with the planter and use the other tractor to follow the planter with the boom sprayer and apply the pre-emergent herbicide in the same day of the planting.

We will try this and see how it goes.
Re: My Mechanised Farming Experience by ogb5(m): 7:45am On Sep 19, 2016
Has anyone planted corn at 30,000 stands per hectare previously? and what is your experience.

I have tried it before but we had to thin in down when we could not get fertiliser to buy and apply.

Those were the days of fertiliser subsidy and fertiliser hoarding

(1) (2) (Reply)

Palm Oil! Palm Oil !! Palm Oil !!! / When Dwarf Mangoes And Oranges Are Your Desire / Free information on Agribusiness in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.