Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,340 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) (38537 Views)

Boy Who Had Huge Tumor On His Face Shocks Classmates With New Look. Photos / Unknown Man Spends 9 Months In A Hospital In Abuja After Losing His Memory.photo / ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by dre11(m): 5:52am On Sep 17, 2016
Kunle Falayi

Three-year-old Darasimi Ogunwunmi, a Kindergarten One pupil, who drank caustic soda left carelessly around his classroom by teachers of his private school, Fahsal Children’s School, Ilupeju Estate, Idiroko, Ogun State in November 2015, has died.

After nine months of agony, being unable to swallow either liquid or solid food and six different surgeries at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Darasimi succumbed to his injuries few days after his last surgical operation on Monday, September 12.

The last surgery was another attempt to open up the boy’s stomach and throat which had become damaged by the chemical, which he drank when he was thirsty in school.

For Darasimi, the last days of his short life were spent in a condition his mother, Toyin, described as a living hell.

Toyin told our correspondent, “My son would have died long ago if not because of the money that kind Nigerians raised for his treatment. The money financed his surgeries and rehabilitation since that time.

“If I knew he had no chance of survival, I would have prayed that God should give him rest long ago because my son suffered for every day he lived after that incident. Every day, I saw him lying in the hospital bed or sitting at home struggling to drink ordinary water with pain, I cried bitterly.”

Saturday PUNCH had exclusively reported in January and February how the proprietor of Fahsal, Mrs. Fausat Abubakar, allegedly introduced soap making business on the school premises.

But rather than remove the production far from the reach of her pupils, the boy’s parents alleged that the soap was being produced right beside the classrooms.

On November 19, 2015, the worse happened when Darasimi became thirsty and his teachers turned a deaf ear to his incessant cry for water.

Part of the caustic soda already mixed and allegedly left around was what Darasimi drank from.

His teachers only realised what had happened when the boy was found outside his classroom crying and bleeding from the mouth, it was learnt.

The teachers applied palm oil to the boy’s mouth but rushed him to the hospital when they realised his case was critical.

Ogun government promised us justice, did nothing – Boy’s parents

After Saturday PUNCH’s story, the Ogun State Commissioner for Education, Mrs. Modupe Mujota, said that she had constituted a team to investigate the case.

But the family explained that nothing had been done about bringing the proprietor of their son’s school to justice.

Our correspondent contacted the commissioner on Thursday to ask if anything was ever done about the boy’s case and what the outcome of the state’s investigation was.

“There was a full investigation. But because there was no hard evidence, it became difficult to take the issue up legally. We combed the premises of the school and nothing was found, probably because time had elapsed and the school might have cleaned up,” Mujota said.

When asked what step the ministry took after the completion of the investigation, she said an action was taken against the proprietor.

But the commissioner said she could not disclose details of what that action was when asked for details.

She said, “There are larger factors to be considered when you want to close down a school like the population the school is serving.”

When our correspondent finally told Mrs. Mujota that the boy was dead, she expressed surprise and said “we were not informed.”

She also said after our initial reports, the state government team had visited the family twice.

“If they say we did not visit, between when and when are they talking about? We have pictures as evidence of our team’s visit to the child and his mother. There were allegations from the school proprietor that the boy’s parents were trying to extort her. We went to verify the claim.”

http://punchng.com/nine-months-boy-drank-acid-ogun-school-dies/

Pics: Darasimi after and before the incident

1 Share

Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by chukxie(m): 5:58am On Sep 17, 2016
Someone somewhere is trying to sweep this terrible incident under the rug. This is just sad. The proprietor of the school is complicit in the child's death, and should be made to face the law. What an agonizing way for an innocent child to die! Rest in peace, little one cry

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by Pamelayoung: 6:02am On Sep 17, 2016
All this useless mushroom schools, with dumbheads as proprietors all they do is just copying nonsense that's of no benefits 2d children. D sch shld be shut asap I kuku trust Nigerian parents.

15 Likes

Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by Davash222(m): 6:04am On Sep 17, 2016
Sad news. Heaven awaits him

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by kidco: 6:15am On Sep 17, 2016
We can self help teach our kids through books
Try to visit new mother thread in this group and see what they have been doing
early reading enhance such skills in every vocation
Try searching for kidco in Nairaland and see the discussion
Pamelayoung:
All this useless mushroom schools, with dumbheads as proprietors all they do is just copying nonsense that's of no benefits 2d children. D sch shld be shut asap I kuku trust Nigerian parents.

5 Likes

Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by kidco: 6:18am On Sep 17, 2016
Very sad
not the first time
these private school have no motivated staff
I knew that and have seen it
they take advantage of the economy situation
Staff must be neat cuz to most parents neatness means hood school smhhh
chukxie:
Someone somewhere is trying to sweep this terrible incident under the rug. This is just sad. The proprietor of the school is complicit in the child's death, and should be made to face the law. What an agonizing way for an innocent child to die! Rest in peace, little one cry

1 Like

Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by maggilove(f): 6:19am On Sep 17, 2016
The boy's story is a very pathetic one, I noticed a drop of tear when I finished reading it. May God grant him eternal rest.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by INTROVERT(f): 6:24am On Sep 17, 2016
So sad. I guess he is singing with the host of heaven.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by Flexherbal(m): 6:38am On Sep 17, 2016
R I P to him !

1 Like

Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by hodusglobal(m): 6:40am On Sep 17, 2016
maggilove:
The boy's story is a very pathetic one, I noticed a drop of tear when I finished reading it. May God grant him eternal rest.
Ameen
Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by Rednaxelot: 7:47am On Sep 17, 2016
Three-year-old Darasimi Ogunwunmi, a Kindergarten One pupil, who drank caustic soda left carelessly around his classroom by teachers of his private school, Fahsal Children’s School, Ilupeju Estate, Idiroko, Ogun State in November 2015, has died
Caustic soda is not an acid.
Nigerians sha, any chemical substance is an acid.

Some private schools in Nigeria are all about the fee from the pupils, providing no care for them.
How would a 3year old kindergarten One pupil be allowed to stray from class with no proper monitoring by the teacher?

Moreover, are these meant to be teachers? Even, people who are not chanced to be formally educated would know substance like this carries "KEEP AWAY FROM THE REACH OF CHILDREN", if these teachers could not get this, I wondered what they bear upstairs to teach their pupils.

This is a message to the parents anyway, provide everything in excess, whatever your ward(s) may need in school to eat or drink. 3year old boy is too small to be left totally in the care of the teachers and proprietors.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by dominique(f): 9:04am On Sep 17, 2016
So many mushroom schools with careless staff in this country, all they care about is money . I remember the story when it first happened. Poor baby, I don't want to imagine all the pain that little body went through before giving up. May God console those he left behind sad.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by ijustdey: 9:48am On Sep 17, 2016
Saturday PUNCH had exclusively reported in January and February how the proprietor of Fahsal, Mrs. Fausat Abubakar, allegedly introduced soap making business on the school premises.

the owner of the school needs to be prosecuted for citing a soap making factory inside the school compound....

this is evil..

4 Likes

Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by Aregs(m): 10:43am On Sep 17, 2016
RIP
Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by biggz82: 10:43am On Sep 17, 2016
Jail the teacher close down d school
Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by henrydadon(m): 10:43am On Sep 17, 2016
RIP

who else is tired of typing

RIP on nairaland

Buhari why?
Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by yeyeboi(m): 10:45am On Sep 17, 2016
This world sef undecided sad RIP lil man cry
Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by Pavore9: 10:50am On Sep 17, 2016
“There was a full investigation. But because there was no hard evidence, it became difficult to take the issue up legally. We combed the premises of the school and nothing was found, probably because time had elapsed and the school might have cleaned up,”.......Very lame excuse! Was the boy not in good health when arrived the school that day? The school owner produces soap and the boy drank caustic soda!

The family should sue the Ogun State Ministry of Education and the School for negligence as this boy's death should not be addressed without someone being culpable!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by seapson(m): 10:50am On Sep 17, 2016
Rip...
I blame Buhari
Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by teamsynergy: 10:51am On Sep 17, 2016
I served in Ogun and I must say, I am greatly disappointed with d very poor standard of education in the state.. too too many mushroom schools.. there are one room schools, two rooms, some r located in a very unhealthy place ,not to mention the quality of teachers and education in general .. they solely depend on the deployment of corpers to their school to cut cost.. there r very few public schls.. I really hope govt will look in to this.. terrible tragedy ....

2 Likes

Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by queenfav(f): 10:51am On Sep 17, 2016
If they have enough money,they can sue the school for all its worth. Its a clear case of negligence on the part of the school teachers!
Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by Catalyst4real: 10:52am On Sep 17, 2016
This is painful cry
Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by magicminister: 10:52am On Sep 17, 2016
Everyday we blame buhari but even the small small things our community leaders can do, they all fail to do it!!!

Rest in peace child!
Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by martineinstein(m): 10:52am On Sep 17, 2016
nairaland,how is caustic soda an acid

His site is becoming unprofessional day by day

the f reactions of the state govt and school authority showed that they value their business more that d lives of children
Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by laurel03(m): 10:52am On Sep 17, 2016
Rip...boy. How i wish obj,ibb,gej, abdulsalam,buhari and remaining wicked leaders drink ds kind of soda

1 Like

Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by laurel03(m): 10:53am On Sep 17, 2016
martineinstein:
d
D for die
Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by freesinzu(m): 10:54am On Sep 17, 2016
cry
Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by ALAYORMII: 10:55am On Sep 17, 2016
RIP
Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by yhemsy62(m): 10:56am On Sep 17, 2016
Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by Emary(f): 10:57am On Sep 17, 2016
Sorry, my first job as a teenager was a nursery school teacher for about 30 kids. I know they can be very active but there is no excuse. The teacher should be jailed. How did she let him out of her sight for so long? Why couldn't she give him some water? He must have been extremely thirsty to go outside and look for it. The proprietor is also culpable but the child was primarily the teacher's responsibility.
Re: Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) by Daniyomex(m): 10:57am On Sep 17, 2016
Pamelayoung:
Nigerian parent no dey carry last. Trust them, they would have start withdrawing their wards from the school

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

HIV Status Is Indeterminate / Edo Nurse 'Beauty' Delivers A Mentally Challenged Lady Of a baby by the road / Captain Alphonsus Alexander Kalthy Bazza 'Commits Suicide' In Uyo, Family Kicks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.