Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,989 members, 7,814,374 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

Can Anybody Tell Me How Much It Costs To Produce 1 Barrel Of Crude Oil - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Anybody Tell Me How Much It Costs To Produce 1 Barrel Of Crude Oil (5817 Views)

What Okonjo-Iweala Said When Oil Was $76 Per Barrel (Flash Back) / How Much It Costs To Produce A Barrel Of Oil In Nigeria And Others / Wike Inspects Port Harcourt Refinery, Facility Starts Refining Of Crude (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Anybody Tell Me How Much It Costs To Produce 1 Barrel Of Crude Oil by citizenY(m): 11:09am On Oct 10, 2009
Since our legislators have frustrated the passge of the Freedom of Information Bill (FOI)
and van any one please let me know how much it costs to produce one barrel of crude oil.

Anyone interested in resource control and fiscal responsibility and due process should ask this question.
They just continue sharing and sharing in Abuja and I do not know the basis. With all the dubious
things that have been going on in the oil industry, we must know. We need to establish this.

I am not too familiar with the oil industry. Nairalanders in the industry should educate us on

this and any related matters- Production sharing? Call fees?Etc etc Thank you.
Re: Can Anybody Tell Me How Much It Costs To Produce 1 Barrel Of Crude Oil by WilyWily: 11:18am On Oct 10, 2009
It will cost the Blood of Dirty stinking Hausa/Fulani man and their Corrupt Yoruba partners, whom their DNA are oil Money to Produce a Barrel of Crude oil.
Re: Can Anybody Tell Me How Much It Costs To Produce 1 Barrel Of Crude Oil by emyah(m): 11:32am On Oct 10, 2009
The cost is about $1.50/gal once the refinery extracts the gasoline from the Crude Oil.

Nearly 50% of a barrel is Gasoline. So if a barrel of oil costs $70 for 42/gallons, then about 20/gallons of gasoline is about $35. And $35 / 20gallons = $3.25/gallon base.

The price beyond that point is Taxes which usually run about $0.40 - 0.50/cents a gallon,  The station owner might only see a few pennies per gallon in profit. They make their money selling you $1.00 Twinkies they bought for $.10/cents.

Diesel is even more expensive because you only get about 10/gallons of diesel from a 42/gallon barrel of Crude Oil. Before diesel was cheap because the market was awash in diesel fuel. Now that diesel demand has grown world wide as the global community develops, diesel prices have gone through the roof,  That's why Diesel is about $0.50 - $1.00 more than Gasoline right now.

i hope u can start from here .
Re: Can Anybody Tell Me How Much It Costs To Produce 1 Barrel Of Crude Oil by emyah(m): 11:46am On Oct 10, 2009
First up, it’s important to realise that crude oil is (almost) never used directly. Instead it’s refined into a wide range of products, most of which we burn in various engines, but some of which never get converted into CO2 (lubricant oils, plastics, asphalt, etc.). Different grades of crude oil will produce significantly different amounts of each. So a barrel of light / sweet crude might produce lots of petrol and kerosene but only a small amount of asphalt (as a very simple example). But a barrel of heavy / sour crude would produce more asphalt (still less than the amount of petrol produced, but more in comparison with the sweeter oil). This means that, ironically, less of the heavier and more sulphuric stuff, although it’s called sour (and sometimes “dirty”) oil tends to end up as atmospheric CO2 (we coat our roads with it instead).

So while we could, no doubt, work out a figure for the CO2 emitted by burning a given barrel of crude oil, it would be very much a red-herring. To get any meaningful figure for CO2 per barrel we’re going to need to do our calculations on the products of crude oil.

It makes sense to perform this calculation on oil that is of average quality (i.e. not some kind of heavy sulphuric sludge or tar-sand) to make it more generally useful. So taking Riegel’s Handbook of Industrial Chemistry as our guide, we know that the average barrel (~159 litres) of crude oil to pass through U.S. refineries in 1995* yielded the following products:

1. Gasoline: 44.1% (70.12 litres)
2. Distillate fuel oil: 20.8% (33.07 litres)
3. Kerosene-type jet fuel: 9.3% (14.79 litres)
4. Residual fuel oil: 5.2% (8.27 litres)**

Percentage values from Riegel’s Handbook of Industrial Chemistry, 2003 edition (Page 515, Fig. 15.6). Litre values based upon conversion rate of 159 litres per barrel.
All of the other products*** of refined crude have sufficient alternative uses to make it possible (even if not entirely probable) that they will not end up as atmospheric CO2. Of the four grades of fuel listed above, however, it’s fair to say all of it is destined to be burnt. It’s worth noting, therefore, that our final result will represent a minimum CO2 per barrel.

Now, the litre values are no good to us by themselves. Each of the fuels has a different specific gravity (a different weight per litre), and it’s the weight of carbon we’re looking for, not the volume. Once we’ve multiplied the volume of each fuel by the relevant specific gravity we’ll have a rough “kilogram per barrel” number for each fuel. So:

1. Gasoline: 70.12 litres x 0.74 = 51.89kg
2. Distillate fuel oil: 33.07 litres x 0.88 = 29.10kg
3. Kerosene-type jet fuel: 14.79 litres x 0.82 = 12.13kg
4. Residual fuel oil: 8.27 litres x 0.92 = 7.61kg****

Overall, this suggests that the average barrel of crude refined in the United States in 1995 yielded a shade over 100kg of liquid fuels (that’s an uncannily round number… 100.73kg to be exact). Now, we know that a carbon-based fuel will emit 3.15 times its own weight in CO2 when burnt.

I hope it can help
Re: Can Anybody Tell Me How Much It Costs To Produce 1 Barrel Of Crude Oil by Twy: 11:58am On Oct 10, 2009
Three sites for you. Calculating the cost of producing oil in Nigeria is complicated largely of different contracts, There is the noral JV which governs most oil onshore, the cost of exploration and development before the Niger Delta crisis speculatively is around $2 or $2.5 after the crisis oil companies are claiming $4 or more, beyond that I think it is unknown even to Lukman.

http://www.neiti.org.ng/publications/JV%20AND%20PSC%20ARRANGEMENTS%20PRESENTATION%20TO%20NEITI.pps

http://www.nnpcgroup.com/nnpc-group/napims

http://www.supanigeria.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=35
Re: Can Anybody Tell Me How Much It Costs To Produce 1 Barrel Of Crude Oil by citizenY(m): 12:51pm On Oct 10, 2009
@wily wily

I am busy now. Will address you squarely on your comments. I do not want to be distracted.
For now, this shows your ignorance. The issue should concern you more if you are sane. but
i will face you later.

@emyah and Twy.

Emyah- see ya brother wilywily- he is just bearing the name in vain . These figure should interest
everyone , especially the ND folk, Their governors may just be collecting money(13%) but is it
the real value per barrel?

@Twy, will check site later and revert .
Re: Can Anybody Tell Me How Much It Costs To Produce 1 Barrel Of Crude Oil by citizenY(m): 4:29pm On Oct 10, 2009
@wily wily

WilyWily

Re: Can Anybody Tell Me How Much It Costs To Produce 1 Barrel Of Crude Oil
« #1 on: Today at 11:18:58 AM »
It will cost the Blood of Dirty stinking Hausa/Fulani man and their Corrupt Yoruba partners, whom their DNA are oil Money to Produce a Barrel of Crude oil.

I have taken time to respond to your post because as a matter of policy, I do not engage in
unnecessary posts, though sometimes i could be witty. Going through your posts, you come across as
uninformed and pedestrian as they come. I can only put you in the class of those passengers that are
being tolerated in NL, just filling the space. You have not added value to your environment and neither
are you an asset, physically or intellectually to those ideals you hold as a son of ND. We all know the true
cyber warriors of ND on NL and they have a reputation of robust and convincing positions.

Coming to the topic, you have hopelessly misunderstood the issues. If you are no having blueband or sausage
in place of brains in your skull, you will require the information i solicited to arrive at certain conclusions in respect
of your primary product and the benefit you should derive from it.

Since you missed the point, and you are clueless about what we are talking about, i prefer to leave you in your trance.
There is a world of difference netween literacy and education and you are have clearly shown me today. DNA has nothing
to do with money printed in paper and coins, you fool. If for any reason , DNA has anything to do with oil, you
and MEND should be in good company.

I refuse to comment on your rabid hatred for others as your posts have shown me that you have a pathological hatred for
virtually anybody. You are a loose canon, no thanks to your being literate but not educated.
Re: Can Anybody Tell Me How Much It Costs To Produce 1 Barrel Of Crude Oil by WilyWily: 7:32pm On Oct 10, 2009
citizenY:

@wily wily

WilyWily

Re: Can Anybody Tell Me How Much It Costs To Produce 1 Barrel Of Crude Oil
« #1 on: Today at 11:18:58 AM »

I have taken time to respond to your post because as a matter of policy, I do not engage in
unnecessary posts, though sometimes i could be witty. Going through your posts, you come across as
uninformed and pedestrian as they come. I can only put you in the class of those passengers that are
being tolerated in NL, just filling the space. You have not added value to your environment and neither
are you an asset, physically or intellectually to those ideals you hold as a son of ND. We all know the true
cyber warriors of ND on NL and they have a reputation of robust and convincing positions.

Coming to the topic, you have hopelessly misunderstood the issues. If you are no having blueband or sausage
in place of brains in your skull, you will require the information i solicited to arrive at certain conclusions in respect

Since you missed the point, and you are clueless about what we are talking about, i prefer to leave you in your trance.
There is a world of difference netween literacy and education and you are have clearly shown me today. DNA has nothing
to do with money printed in paper and coins, you fool. If for any reason , DNA has anything to do with oil, you

I refuse to comment on your rabid hatred for others as your posts have shown me that you have a pathological hatred for
virtually anybody. You are a loose canon, no thanks to your being literate but not educated.
Cockroach|_am happy you said it took you time to respond to my post.
citizenY:

Since our legislators have frustrated the passge of the Freedom of Information Bill (FOI)
and van any one please let me know how much it costs to produce one barrel of crude oil.

I am not too familiar with the oil industry. Nairalanders in the industry should educate us on
this and any related matters- Production sharing? Call fees?Etc etc Thank you.
Listen Cockroach|_It will cost the Blood of Dirty Stinking Hausa/Fulani and their Corrupt Yoruba partners, whom their DNA are oil Money to produce a Barrel of Crude oil
Re: Can Anybody Tell Me How Much It Costs To Produce 1 Barrel Of Crude Oil by citizenY(m): 9:18am On Oct 12, 2009
@wily wily

If you are no having blueband or sausage
in place of brains in your skull,
youwill require the information i solicited to arrive at certain conclusions in respect

Do I need any proof of this fact?

To make matters worse you have started grilling your sausages and eating them.
If you come wash am down with kaikai, you go kolo oh
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Can Anybody Tell Me How Much It Costs To Produce 1 Barrel Of Crude Oil by Beaf: 12:12pm On Oct 12, 2009
citizenY: DNA has nothing to do with money printed in paper and coins, you fool. If for any reason , DNA has anything to do with oil, you

Why can't you keep MEND out of your bullshit?

Just when you seem to be asking a reasonable question (for once) and just when you have kindly abstained from bolding your input; you inject crap about MEND.

Why all these small minded attacks on the ND?
Re: Can Anybody Tell Me How Much It Costs To Produce 1 Barrel Of Crude Oil by citizenY(m): 12:59pm On Oct 12, 2009
@Beaf

I If you want to see --, you go through his posts and you will establish
that MEND is the cover this guy is using for all the nonsense he is spewing
and you will (for once) realise that he is no good ambassador of yours. I
do not intend to engage you in swear words because I want to assume that
you are way beyond the level of Wily Wily.
Re: Can Anybody Tell Me How Much It Costs To Produce 1 Barrel Of Crude Oil by WilyWily: 1:32pm On Oct 13, 2009
citizenY:

@Beaf

I If you want to see --, you go through his posts and you will establish
that MEND is the cover this guy is using for all the nonsense he is spewing
and you will (for once) realise that he is no good ambassador of yours. I
do not intend to engage you in swear words because I want to assume that
you are way beyond the level of Wily Wily.
@Citizen Y,
Cockroach You are right, i knew what most of u Idiot want to hear from me, but am sorry it will never come out from me. I can never be Fool

Cockroach to you Question,(Can Anybody Tell Me How Much It Costs To Produce 1 Barrel Of Crude Oil),
Cockroach . It Will Cost The Blood Of Dirty Stinking Hausa/Fulani Man and Their Corrupt Yoruba Partners, whom Their DNA Is Oil Money To Produce 1 Barrel Of Crude Oil.

Cockroach,
MEND is a movement for the liberation of the entire N-Delta from hands of Dirty Stinking Hausa/Fulani North and Their Corrupt western Collaborators whom knew nothing in their life except oil Money. And it's duty of any N-Deltan to Fight against these intruders whom are keen to see us down.

(1) (Reply)

Niger Delta Group Tackles Buhari Over Nigeria’s Worsening Economic Situation / Fulani Wouldn't Have Dared The South If These Tribes Were Southern / BREAKING!! Sefer Torah Arrives Nigeria From Israel.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.