Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet (7051 Views)

Avoid These Phrases When You Are Quitting Your Job / 10 Things You Must Do Before Quitting Your Job To Start Your Company / What No One Is Telling You About Your Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by PatrickOkunima(m): 12:58pm On Sep 17, 2016
No doubt, you want to conduct a job search while you’re still employed in order to make the transition easier and to prevent down time. The good news is that searching for jobs has become easier than ever via online job boards, Google searches and social media. The bad news is these platforms are public and could lead to word getting back to your employer. However, doing so recklessly puts you in a precarious position, particularly if you’re making it easy for your current employer to discover what you’re up to. In order to avoid unnecessary tension or mistrust at your workplace, it’s important that you take the following careful steps to keep your job search discreet:

NEVER DO ANYTHING ON COMPANY TIME

Besides possible legal complications, it’s also unethical to conduct your job search when you’re technically on the clock for your current employer. This means no resume updating, interviewing or job board scanning when you’re supposed to be working. Though it may be tempting, especially if you’re disinterested in your current role, try and save the job hunt for nights and weekends.

MAINTAIN YOUR PROFESSIONALISM

If you’re unhappy in your current role and you intend to be moving elsewhere in the near future, productivity or clocking in late and clocking out early may raise warning bells for your employer and lead them to suspect that you are looking for work elsewhere. Maintaining your professionalism will also help you later on, when it comes to handing in your resignation, leaving the company on positive terms and ensuring that your receive glowing references.

BE CAREFUL WHEN USING JOB SEARCH SERVICES

If you’re using a job search website, find out what services are available to you, so that you may keep your search confidential. Some sites will let you hide your contact information until an employer decides to get in touch with you for an interview. By this way, you’re still able to take advantage of the service, without having to broadcast the fact that you’re looking to anyone who might be casually browsing the board.

USE PERSONAL EMAIL

Let’s say that you are logged into your work email when you find the perfect part-time telecommuting position. Without thinking, you apply for the position from your work email. That’s a double negative on two levels. First, your company definitely has access to your email account and can easily read the emails you receive and send. In some instances, you can even be fired for using your work email for something non-work related, such as applying for other jobs. On the other hand, your potential boss won’t look too favorably on your gaffe, either. Even if you are the right candidate for the position, he might assume that you don’t care enough for (or respect) your current job or that you could potentially do the same thing to him if you were hired for the position. Be sure to always check which email you’re logged into before you hit “send” on a job application.

BE SELECTIVE ABOUT YOUR REFERENCES

It’s likely that your references are part of your tight-knit network, so let your references know that your job search is confidential. And of course, if you’re trying to keep your job search confidential from your current manager, make sure they aren’t listed as a reference. Instead, provide the names of previous managers as well as a trusted colleague from your current company who is aware of your job search and can speak to your performance. “If a hiring manager insists on a reference directly from your boss, explain that you can provide one at the point of offer,” says Gallo, a career expert.

INTERVIEW ON YOUR OWN TIME

Lastly, most employers will want to interview you during normal business hours. Don’t sneak off for fake meetings or feign being sick. Fit the interviews into your schedule without cheating your current employer. If your boss tracks your every move, take vacation, explain that you have a personal issue you need to resolve.

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/2016/09/17/how-to-keep-your-job-search-discreet/

2 Likes

Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by siraj1402(m): 6:43am On Sep 19, 2016
Ok
Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by maxti: 6:43am On Sep 19, 2016
Well done
Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by nmreports: 6:43am On Sep 19, 2016
Nice.
While this might be true, you still can't be careful enough.

Some interviews can't be fixed. Find your way there...
Job search cannot entirely be paused during office hours. Apply fast if important...
Who still uses references except requested...

Anyway, all the best folks.

Check my signature for tips to get jobs.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by techinfong: 6:45am On Sep 19, 2016
Na so cool
Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by Suxes(m): 6:51am On Sep 19, 2016
Informative. I am happy with my job though.
Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by soccerpundit(m): 6:56am On Sep 19, 2016
good write up
Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by casttlebarbz(m): 6:56am On Sep 19, 2016
Op chop knuckle u too much
Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by maggilove(f): 6:59am On Sep 19, 2016
Wao! I love this post, its timely.
Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by lonelydora: 6:59am On Sep 19, 2016
Point 1 is useless where i work. Whenever I check search history, it's only job sites I get to see. People are always praying to grow higher in life, and leave comfort zone.

1 Like

Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by duduade: 7:03am On Sep 19, 2016
nmreports:
Nice.

Job search cannot entirely be paused during office hours. Apply fast if important...

Looooool.....
Its important that you come up with an important lie or excuse to enable you go for the private interview

1 Like

Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by onismate: 7:03am On Sep 19, 2016
Nice work. Love it
Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by datigbogirl: 7:12am On Sep 19, 2016
nmreports:
Nice.

Very Practical.... You're really in the business....
Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by macaranta(m): 8:21am On Sep 19, 2016
Cool one
For e-learning, visit my signature
Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by UjSizzle(f): 8:25am On Sep 19, 2016
Once had a colleague who sent in his cv to a recruitment agency for a job opening. Turned out a client of ours was the engagement company cheesy
My guy got shortlisted and when the MD saw the name, he forwarded his cv to my boss.
Mehn the ensuing drama was both sad and entertaining grin

1 Like

Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by anochuko01(m): 8:35am On Sep 19, 2016
UjSizzle:
Once had a colleague who sent in his cv to a recruitment agency for a job opening. Turned out a client of ours was the engagement company cheesy
My guy got shortlisted and when the MD saw the name, he forwarded his cv to my boss.
Mehn the ensuing drama was both sad and entertaining grin
Lol...that's sad. The MD didn't do well, only if he didn't know who your colleague was.

1 Like

Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by obajoey(m): 8:36am On Sep 19, 2016
I don't agree with point 1 oo, even the management staff are always on the look out for greener pastures. Another thing is it depends on what you prioritize, other people might even be checking facebook, instagram, jumia and all the likes the same time you talking about.

1 Like

Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by Benjom(m): 9:16am On Sep 19, 2016
Good tips
Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by Nobody: 9:19am On Sep 19, 2016
rubbish
it will not be well with you people God go punish una including the patriots and beleivers.
such a terrible entity.
Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by UjSizzle(f): 9:50am On Sep 19, 2016
anochuko01:

Lol...that's sad. The MD didn't do well, only if he didn't know who your colleague was.
Oh he knew the guy well. The same guy was handling the client's account so... grin
Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by nmreports: 11:02am On Sep 19, 2016
datigbogirl:

Very Practical.... You're really in the business....

Hahahahaha
Re: How To Keep Your Job Search Discreet by PatrickOkunima(m): 9:12pm On Sep 19, 2017
You too, chop knuckle.
casttlebarbz:
Op chop knuckle u too much

(1) (Reply)

Llm @ Robert Gordon University (sept 2011) Or I Decline. / Bcs Pgd, Equivalent Of Bsc. / I Wonder Why People Stay In A Corrosive Atmosphere Of Work And Remain There For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.