Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,159 members, 7,821,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway (1221 Views)

Protesters Sleep On The Road To Demand Saraki's Resignation / Gov. Amaechi Weakened, Jonathan Can Now Sleep Well, Says PDP / FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway by 2tait: 11:34am On Oct 12, 2009
My heart bleeds for users of Benin -Ore Expressway.
I consider that the road which is a major link between the East and the Western part of Nigeria has failed. To say that the road is in a state of disrepair is a major understatement.

Road users travelling from Lagos to Onitsha now spend about  two (2) days on a journey that normally takes about 5 hours.

This is harzardous. Several portions of the road have become impassable, deathtraps, accident-prone and even dens for armed robbers.

Apart from the uncordinated patching of the road once in a while, no major repairs have been done on that road in about twenty years. Yet we kept hearing that the contract for the road has been awarded several times.  Recall that a serving Federal Minister visited and inspected this same road and wept after seeing the failed portions of the road. About 3 years after the incident nothing tangible has been done on the road. In fact if that Minister were to inspect that road today, she will slump.

As Christmas approaches, I suggest that Government takes immediate measures to save lives by doing the following:

1. Commence immediate repair of the road
2. Dispatch traffic management team including Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) to control and  direct traffic on that road.
3. Develop a strategy to ensure sustainable maintenance of the road
4. Rebuild the road to an 8 - lane super highway
5. Build an alternative link between the East and the West.

This is an important road. The Government should rise up and take action on this road.
Re: Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway by Jakumo(m): 11:45am On Oct 12, 2009
Banditos in charge of that highway are bound to be delighted to hear this news of stranded motorists in sitting duck mode, all ripe and ready for the plucking.
Re: Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway by otokx(m): 1:30pm On Oct 12, 2009
Heard some people spent about 9 hours in that road.
Re: Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 12, 2009
Stale news.
Re: Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway by asha80(m): 1:34pm On Oct 12, 2009
Who is using highway roads these days?Build airports abeg  grin
Re: Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway by Beaf: 1:38pm On Oct 12, 2009
It is a road to the Niger Delta and Eastern Nigeria. Those areas are home to the "scum" of of Nigeria, indeed, Honourable Bala N'allah from Kebbi has kindly asked for a good proportion of those dregs (just 20 million) to be wiped out. Why do they need a road to their home, when they can climb trees, swim or paddle canoes?
Re: Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway by snowdrops(m): 2:10pm On Oct 12, 2009
@ nuzo
It is not exactly stale news. It is several times worse now than it has ever been. It took a friend 2 days and 1 night to travel from lagos to benin recently. He as the poster said some do slept in the coach overnight. Absolutely pathetic.
Billions of dollars have been budgetted to rehabilitate that stretch of road from the time of Anthony Anenih then Fed. Min. of Works under OBJ. Nothing tangible has ever been done.
It is alledged that some locals whose youths help/are paid to push broken down vehicles from the mud/potholes sabotage the miniscal efforts at patching the roads especially at the Edo and Ondo end. They destroy the tarred roads at night, so they can maintain their source of income.
@ asha80
You need to donate your brain to science research cos it appears an empty space in your skull will serve more purpose. So we should all take to the air because of bad roads? Do you read what you type at all.
Re: Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway by asha80(m): 2:14pm On Oct 12, 2009
snowdrops:

@ nuzo
It is not exactly stale news. It is several times worse now than it has ever been. It took a friend 2 days and 1 night to travel from lagos to benin recently. He as the poster said some do slept in the coach overnight. Absolutely pathetic.
Billions of dollars have been budgetted to rehabilitate that stretch of road from the time of Anthony Anenih then Fed. Min. of Works under OBJ. Nothing tangible has ever been done.
It is alledged that some locals whose youths help/are paid to push broken down vehicles from the mud/potholes sabotage the miniscal efforts at patching the roads especially at the Edo and Ondo end. They destroy the tarred roads at night, so they can maintain their source of income.
@ asha80
You need to donate your brain to science research cos it appears an empty space in your skull will serve more purpose. So we should all take to the air because of bad roads? Do you read what you type at all.

No i just type with my brain on the floor grin Abeg build aiports abi no be the in thing for naija now cheesy
Re: Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway by snowdrops(m): 2:20pm On Oct 12, 2009
@ asha80

You go begin build bus [plane] stops for air be that. If them leave you, you go pose on top of maggi!
Re: Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway by spoOne: 6:38am On Oct 13, 2009
Shame on the Yar'Adua administration for inaction - the transportation minister should have been sacked. This' road is without a doubt, the busiest highway in Naija, as it links the main business hubs of the country. This road should be fixed while the River Niger dredging progresses.
Re: Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway by jamace(m): 6:44am On Oct 13, 2009
I thought one Minister wept after seeing and experiencing the plight of travellers on that road? Abi her tears don dry and the experience forgotten so soon? Na wa for our leaders. sad
Re: Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway by ikeyman00(m): 11:30am On Oct 13, 2009
@@@@@@@

and thread like this shouldnt make front page

seun trait?? ehhuh grin grin

this is serious

Yaradua is just an idot!!

every baboon in abuja nko lets face our wahala for good

embezzle trillion and ur family but do something as a human; these bastard just well shouldnt be in this planet; their wickedness has gone pass Hitler own

worrying!
Re: Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 13, 2009
@ikeyman000. grin

Na people like u i pity most in Naija, bad road to go home, kidnappers are also waiting in the wings for u.

You guys are in soup this Xmas at home.
Re: Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway by ikeyman00(m): 11:13pm On Oct 13, 2009
^^^^^
u no de lie ooo!!

even in UK self, people de say ikeyman u wan go naija self

they don scare me tire

can someone tell where the witches and wizard de self
Re: Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway by DeepSoul(f): 11:49pm On Oct 13, 2009
Last time I travelled from Lagos to Ph by road was two months ago and it was an absolutely horrifying experience.

Altho I didnt sleep on the road for two days, my heart was in my mouth the entire duration of the trip

I kept mumbling to myself "na who send me work?". After that, I vowed to myself never to try the road journey again

I'd rather go with a canoe than thru those horrible roads! Benin-Ore defies all logic, I just dont get it.

I dont know which is more horrifying - the bad roads or the robbers that no longer wait for night!

Na only God dey save person
Re: Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway by Epiphany(m): 12:16am On Oct 14, 2009
Chei, this life don tire man sef. Will we ever see a good Nigeria?
This road has been in the News since the days of IBB and nothing has been done thus far. Haba! The people responsible for these roads no go die betta o! I don talk my own.
Re: Road Users Now Sleep On Ore - Benin Expressway by snowdrops(m): 8:11am On Nov 06, 2009
The roads remain in a terrible state. Nothing has been done to fix it. Yesterday armed robbers attacked commuters in broad daylight dispossessing them of valuables. This happened even when other passangers were watching in the queue.

(1) (Reply)

Nairalands Credibility (the Little It Had) Is Gone! / Us To Start Rejection Of Visa Application/revocation To Some Nigerians / Another Communal Clash In Igboland.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.