Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,579 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? (1149 Views)

Boko Haram "Writes" Public Schools In Lagos / Apapa Blasts: Lagos Issues First-line Order To Public Schools / Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by davidif: 11:58am On Jun 08, 2010
How do we make our public schools better than Eaton college or phillips exeter academy? I know a lot of people would laugh at me for saying this, afterall, eaton college is seen as one of the best secondary schools in the world but is it possible.
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by davidif: 12:00pm On Jun 08, 2010
Can anyone come up with some brilliant suggestions. Should we throw money at the problem or require every teacher to have a masters degree like they do in singapore (which has the best secondary school system in the world).
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by monkeyleg: 12:14pm On Jun 08, 2010
Invest is education, as simple and that. The goverment in the UK is currently investing upto £27M per academy or school under the bsf programme. That can only build on the success UK schools have enjoyed for years.

In Nigeria, we had excellent schools in the former Unity schools, and what did the govenment do? stop vital funding because the coconut head who was in-charge never understood the importance of a very sound education in a growing and emerging economy. Instead from Federal government to state, proper funding has not been allocated to education, instead the senetor and house of reps guys want to pay themsleves #100m per quarter. What a country we have.
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by tosinaded(m): 12:16pm On Jun 08, 2010
na by masters holders? Govt still has to pay the teachers na. . . . .besides the higher the qualification, the higher the salary!!

Govt just has to spend more money on education. . . .wut exactly is a senator earning 18m for? when our educational sytem is bad? the structures are bad. . . the teachers are paid below 20,000 and so on!
Govet has to get there priorities right abeg! put money where money is meant to be spent!

public transport
pulic toilets
public shools

everytn public in naija is bad! prob a name change will also help
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by BigB11(m): 1:19pm On Jun 08, 2010
This is a very simple solution.

Make it part of our constitution for all top Government officials (governors, ministers, senators etc) to send all their children to public schools in Nigeria.
The same thing should go for the Medical system in Nigeria. If you're a government official, no more flying your family abroad for medical checkup or emergency.
They (government officials) must also utilize the same common public service an average Nigerian utilizes on a regular bases.

If this happens, I assure you that our medical system and education standard will improve drastically in less than a year. This will automatically make education and medical system in Nigeria the number one priority of all the governors and the rest.
Anything less, will be a waste of time and energy; nothing else will work in Nigeria.
This will also assist us in weeding out fake government officials from the dedicated ones.

Why this is taking this long for someone (one of the bone head leaders) to come up with this strategy is unbelievable and totally ridiculous.

If you're not ready to send your children to public schools or utilize our medical system, simply bleep off and do not attempt to run for any government position.
It is that simple.
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by AjanleKoko: 1:40pm On Jun 08, 2010
Big B1:

Make it part of our constitution for all top Government officials (governors, ministers, senators etc) to send all their children to public schools in Nigeria.
The same thing should go for the Medical system in Nigeria. If you're a government official, no more flying your family to abroad for medical checkup or emergency.
They (government officials) must also utilize the same common public service an average Nigerian utilizes on a regular.

I only wish it were that simple. Luxury, however, is now an unfortunate part of modern life, and Nigeria is no exception.
Rather than bother about making our public-school system one of the best in the world, I would say let us work towards an effective and stable government. If quality of life is improved, standards will improve. But for government to suddenly start throwing money towards the school system? Pipe dreams.
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by Kobojunkie: 2:31pm On Jun 08, 2010
@Poster, money is part of the main problem with the public school system in Nigeria. The schools are underfunded and mismanaged.

Over the past 8 years, the federal ministry of education has employed one idea, after another to help it avoid directly investing in improving our schools. Even at state level, so many so called PPP schemes meant to improve the state of our public schools have failed, and continue to fail because the government refuses to invest heavily in improving our schools. Once that trend changes, I am certain that the situation in our public schools will change.
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by davidif: 3:29pm On Jun 08, 2010
tosinaded@:

na by masters holders? Govt still has to pay the teachers na. . . . .besides the higher the qualification, the higher the salary!!

Does that mean that we should just "manage" with poor quality education?
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by davidif: 6:32am On Jun 09, 2010
Anymore suggestions?
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by SEFAGO(m): 6:44am On Jun 09, 2010
How do we make our public schools better than Eaton college or phillips exeter academy? I know a lot of people would laugh at me for saying this, afterall, eaton college is seen as one of the best secondary schools in the world but is it possible.

You mean Eton College. FYI Eton college is not academically rigorous. Philips Exeter too. And neither are seen as the best secondary school in their country trust me.
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by oyinda3(f): 6:50am On Jun 09, 2010
davidif:

first of all, the schools you mentioned are NOT public schools. they are very expensive private boarding schools for rich kids in the US.
so at your topic, the answer is IMPOSSIBLE. you can't make a public school in naija better than phillips exeter. at least not as long as we remain one of the poorest countries in the world.

maybe u shld be comparing them to rich private schools in naija ( or even federal govt schools like queens college). to which i will say we do a better job.   cool
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by SEFAGO(m): 6:53am On Jun 09, 2010
first of all, the schools you mentioned are NOT public schools. they are very expensive private boarding schools for rich kids in the US.

Eton's a public school in the british sense. Its not a public school in the American sense.

But yeah none are government owned
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by oyinda3(f): 6:56am On Jun 09, 2010
^ yeah.

anyways, we should be comparing our public schools to china's instead. i think that may be a better comparison than US/UK. especially resource &finance wise.
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by SEFAGO(m): 6:59am On Jun 09, 2010
Eton looks like Hogwarts lol. Anyhoo, I am off
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by oyinda3(f): 7:04am On Jun 09, 2010
liar. have u been there? when did u go to the UK?
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by SEFAGO(m): 7:15am On Jun 09, 2010
oyinda.:

liar. have u been there? when did u go to the UK?

U think I am going to answer that?
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by BigB11(m): 10:44am On Jun 09, 2010

The same thing should go for the Medical system in Nigeria. If you're a government official, no more flying your family abroad for medical checkup or emergency.
They (government officials) must also utilize the same common public service an average Nigerian utilizes on a regular bases.

If this happens, I assure you that our medical system and education standard will improve drastically in less than a year. This will automatically make education and medical system in Nigeria the number one priority of all the governors and the rest.
Anything less, will be a waste of time and energy; nothing else will work in Nigeria.
This will also assist us in weeding out fake government officials from the dedicated ones.

Why this is taking this long for someone (one of the bone head leaders) to come up with this strategy is unbelievable and totally ridiculous.

If you're not ready to send your children to public schools or utilize our medical system, simply bleep off and do not attempt to run for any government position.
It is that simple.

Our main problem in Nigeria as Nigerians is: we refuse to understand ourselves/our system.
Absolutely nothing will work unless someone comes up with my strategy.
This strategy will work for Nigeria in 2 ways:
First, it will quickly weed out corrupt politicians (thieves) who can not do without their glamorous life-style and allow true dedicated citizens to lead this country.
Second, it will quickly improve our standard of living in Nigeria. According to a research done in Germany in 1987, a country that has weak medical system and education standard has no future (this should also be a common sense).

If you completely understand the state of mind of our leaders in Nigeria, you will then understand that my strategy is the only fruitful method that will quickly produce positive result. Anything else will be a waste of time, energy and more money to pocket.

I can put all I got on it, as long as we are in Nigeria, absolutely, nothing else will work.
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by BigB11(m): 11:07am On Jun 09, 2010
Fact: 98% of all our leaders' children attends or attended private schools/ schools in USA or Europe; which automatically means that 80% of the time, Nigeria will be ruled by the same family for many years to come.
If you don't believe me, answer this question:
How do you expect a common Nigerian that attended our watered down public school to effectively compete socially or politically with the children of our corrupt leaders? It is totally impossible.
And this is why we will forever see the Sarakis in Kwara, the Abachas in Kano, the Obasanjos in Ogun state and many others.
Nigeria is designed this way and it is sad that many of us refuse to understand why we can not move forward.

Education is the key to a brighter future; this is why we must use our wisdom to discover a strategy that will work for our country and also work for a common Nigerian; so that children from all background (rich or poor) in Nigeria can grow up and have the opportunity to rescue this country.
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by jamace(m): 3:42pm On Jun 09, 2010

If you're not ready to send your children to public schools or utilize our medical system, simply bleep off and do not attempt to run for any government position. It is that simple.

SECONDED!!!

Don't mind these our shameless leaders who do not like both the people and things that they are leading.
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by Jakumo(m): 4:18pm On Jun 09, 2010
If it were within my power to effect one single change to the Nigerian education system, I would outlaw all forms of corporal punishment and torture in the classroom, and subsequently charge all teachers who violate that law with assault and battery, punishable by summary career terminations, fines or jail time.

Nigerian schools up to the secondary level currently operate under dark regimes of fear and rampant brutality by teachers against students, and consequently by older students against the younger and vulnerable ones. For real and imaginary infractions ranging from improper uniform appearance to littering, students ranging in age from 5 to 15 years old are beaten savagely, extensively and indiscriminately with sticks, belt buckles or electric cables, forced to stand in excruciating positions, slapped about the fragile eardrums, and generally terrorized in ways that would not be out of place in a Nazi death camp.

One can only speculate at the sheer number of debilitating injuries that occur to the eyes, craniums, wrists, spinal columns and limbs of Nigerian students as a direct result of being beaten with sticks, wire and belts by teachers. Massive too is the long-term psychological impact of being subjected to such relentless violence by teachers and seniors, under the guise of " discipline" at school. Without question, the prevalence of grisly mob lynchings throughout Nigeria shares a direct cause and effect relationship with the dangerous and oppressive atmosphere under which secondary and primary school education is imparted.

Ban the cane forever in Nigeria NOW, then fire or arrest all those sadistic child molesters who delight in beating and torturing children under the pretext of being school teachers.
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by canuck(m): 4:40pm On Jun 09, 2010
@ Topic

Teachers should be made to pass teaching & subject-knowledge tests every two years or so, based on new/updated materials.

Many of the teachers have not cracked open a new book since graduating from Teachers College!
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by davidif: 8:58pm On Jun 10, 2010
Jakumo:

If it were within my power to effect one single change to the Nigerian education system, I would outlaw all forms of corporal punishment and torture in the classroom, and subsequently charge all teachers who violate that law with assault and battery, punishable by summary career terminations, fines or jail time.

Nigerian schools up to the secondary level currently operate under dark regimes of fear and rampant brutality by teachers against students, and consequently by older students against the younger and vulnerable ones. For real and imaginary infractions ranging from improper uniform appearance to littering, students ranging in age from 5 to 15 years old are beaten savagely, extensively and indiscriminately with sticks, belt buckles or electric cables, forced to stand in excruciating positions, slapped about the fragile eardrums, and generally terrorized in ways that would not be out of place in a Nazi death camp.

One can only speculate at the sheer number of debilitating injuries that occur to the eyes, craniums, wrists, spinal columns and limbs of Nigerian students as a direct result of being beaten with sticks, wire and belts by teachers. Massive too is the long-term psychological impact of being subjected to such relentless violence by teachers and seniors, under the guise of " discipline" at school. Without question, the prevalence of grisly mob lynchings throughout Nigeria shares a direct cause and effect relationship with the dangerous and oppressive atmosphere under which secondary and primary school education is imparted.

Ban the cane forever in Nigeria NOW, then fire or arrest all those sadistic child molesters who delight in beating and torturing children under the pretext of being school teachers.

Anybody else have anything sensible to say.
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by Kobojunkie: 9:11pm On Jun 10, 2010
canuck:

@ Topic

Teachers should be made to pass teaching & subject-knowledge tests every two years or so, based on new/updated materials.

Many of the teachers have not cracked open a new book since graduating from Teachers College!

I suggest we start with every 9 months to ensure the new teachers are not taken time off improving themselves. Also putting in a student evaluation system will help improve the teachers. But I think all that are secondary because as of now, the main issue is the lack of adequate investment.
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by DisGuy: 4:14pm On Jun 14, 2010
I think many graduate schould be employed as teachers, they should be able to take a one year on the job training after a one year teachers training - this would massively reduce the number of unemployement especially for the female graduates- After wards they should get 6 months off every other year whilst being paid 50% of their salary to improve themselves

-the Govt should introduce a 'minimum standard' in terms of infrastructure needed in classrooms so they all look like that school commissioned by fashola recently and every private school must also adhere to these standards as a minimum

Headteachers should have a minimum postgraduate qualifications in management and HR

Schools performance should be recorded and monitored- instead of having just statistics for the number of students passing/failing every school, every local government should be made to compile a % of its student not achieveing 5 credits including Englsih, Maths and I.T; headteachers of schools with consequective years of lower than expected results should be named and shamed and redeployed to the LASMATA or let go understudy headteachers in top schools, the government will then redeploye upcoming headteachers from tops school to failing school as change agent working closely with LG

I.T should be introduced as a compulsory subject with Advance Word and Excel the core to be taken at Jamb/waec ssce

Private companies, banks,manufactures,service providers should be made to work with schools in developing curriculum that will meet the basic needs of future business areas

head teachers should be earning more than local Government chairmen/Councillors

Scholl should only take student in the LG/LCDA or not more than a certain kilometeres away from the area
so students dont waste time and risk life travelling across the state to get to school

Schools with better performance should get bonus funding to spend on 'luxury' equipment/ school trips/staff development/ specilist teachers- dyslexic, career mentors/school parties etc

obe to dun owo lo baje
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by lekside44(m): 1:58pm On Jun 15, 2010
they should privatise the schools
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by SEFAGO(m): 2:27pm On Jun 15, 2010
davidif:

Anybody else have anything sensible to say.

IMO, no one has really said anything sensible actually or hit the point on why schools like Exeter or Eton are "perceived" as good. Its pretty easy to make a public school or any type of school good.

1. (Most important) Making it highly selective. Search for the best students in primary school and pipeline them into these schools. Also admit rich silly people to fund scholarships for these supersmart students who cannot afford to attend a private school. This will ensure that you have successful alumni. Rich students will have the connections to make them always successful, while smart poor students would have the drive to reach the greatest heights.
2. Form ties with the best universities in the world, and become a "feeder" for these top schools. Exeter is a "feeder" for the most high selective schools in the US, while Eton is a "feeder" for the Oxbridge schools.
3. Good facilities (This is the least most important)
4. Good well paid teachers
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by darqly(m): 2:28pm On Jun 15, 2010
I think a major step would be to re-train the teachers already in the system and ensure only qualified and dedicated tutors are allowed in. Teaching shouldn't be an employer of last resort. This can help a great deal.
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by DisGuy: 2:32pm On Jun 15, 2010
lekside44:

they should privatise the schools

so that the number of children going to school decrease by 70% abi?

Some private schools are just breeding ground for corrupt teachers who get paid to help during jamb/waec/ssce
They just wear fancy uniforms and razz foreign names like Chelsea intl secondary school
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by DisGuy: 2:36pm On Jun 15, 2010
SEFAGO:

IMO, no one has really said anything sensible actually or hit the point on why schools like Exeter or Eton are "perceived" as good. Its pretty easy to make a public school or any type of school good.

1. (Most important) Making it highly selective. Search for the best students in primary school and pipeline them into these schools. Also admit rich silly people to fund scholarships for these supersmart students who cannot afford to attend a private school. This will ensure that you have successful alumni. Rich students will have the connections to make them always successful, while smart poor students would have the drive to reach the greatest heights.
2. Form ties with the best universities in the world, and become a "feeder" for these top schools. Exeter is a "feeder" for the most high selective schools in the US, while Eton is a "feeder" for the Oxbridge schools.
3. Good facilities (This is the least most important)
4. Good well paid teachers

I dont think the OP wants a discussion about few private schools who are mostly carrying the badge of their past

We already have those!
Re: How Do We Make Our Public Schools The Best In The World? by SEFAGO(m): 2:39pm On Jun 15, 2010
Well this does not have to pertain towards private schools. A school is judged as good based on the quality of students as well as teaching facilities. Kings College used to be a very good school, because it produced really good students and all the best students wanted to attend it.

(1) (Reply)

The Mystery Behind Gej / Imo Speaker Impeached, Nine Others Suspended! / Can This Man Become President?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.