Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account (26908 Views)

I Have No Personal Account - Governor Aregbesola / EFCC Freezes Accounts Of Dumebi Kachikwu - Sahara Reporters / EFCC Freezes Femi Fani-kayode’s Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by gbolakpine(m): 7:39am On Sep 22, 2016
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has frozen Patience Jonathan’s personal account, titled ‘Patience Ibifaka Jonathan’, which is domiciled in Skye Bank Plc.

Impeccable sources within the agency told our correspondent on Wednesday that the move had become necessary due to the prima facie case established against the former President Goodluck Jonathan’s wife.

As part of investigations into alleged diversion against a former Special Adviser to ex-President Jonathan on Domestic Affairs, Waripamowei Dudafa, the anti-graft agency had frozen four companies’ accounts in Skye Bank with a balance of $15,591,700.

However, before the EFCC could arraign the four companies in court, Jonathan’s wife deposed to an affidavit, claiming that the money belonged to her.

Despite Patience’s claims, however, the EFCC arraigned the four companies –Pluto Property and Investment Company Limited; Seagate Property Development and Investment Company Limited; Trans Ocean Property and Investment Company Limited; and Globus Integrated Service Limited.

The companies pleaded guilty and the EFCC had already begun moves to ensure that the money is forfeited permanently to the Federal Government.

A detective at the EFCC told The PUNCH, “Recall that we had frozen the four companies’ accounts, which Patience Jonathan later laid claim to. We have been able to establish that the money was part of proceeds of crime.

“She had no evidence that the money in the four accounts belonged to her. All she had were platinum debit cards, which she was using to withdraw money and the cards are not evidence of ownership.

“Initially, we had traced $5m to her personal account, which we did not touch but I can confirm to you now that the $5m account, bearing Patience Jonathan’s name, has also been seized since she claimed that the monies in the company accounts and the one in her personal name all emanated from the same source.

“We are tracing other accounts belonging to Patience. It will interest you to know that despite all the letters she has written, she has never stated where she got the money from. She claimed to be a housewife and yet she has $20m.”

Patience had recently written a letter to the acting Chairman of the EFCC, Mr. Ibrahim Magu, where she claimed that she needed the money for her medical treatment abroad.

She had also sued Skye Bank for N200m, accusing the bank of freezing her accounts unjustly.

In a letter written by her lawyers, Granville Abibo (SAN) and Co, Patience said, “It is noteworthy to emphasise that the said accounts, which were in US dollar denomination, were card-based accounts and our client is the sole signatory of these accounts.

“The said bank officials also assured our client that they will change the account names accordingly and issue to our client new credit cards for the said accounts which was not done despite repeated demands.

“However, our client has been operating the said accounts using the cards for her medical bill payments and purchases for her private purposes without any let or hindrance.

“Our client was therefore surprised when the said cards stopped functioning on July 7, 2016 or thereabout. Our client immediately thereupon contacted Skye Bank Plc through our solicitors. It was only then that the bank officials informed our client that the said accounts were placed on a ‘No Debit Order’ following investigations and instructions from your commission and this is without notice to our client by either the bank or the commission.

“It is in the light of the foregoing that we urge you to use your good offices to vacate the ‘No Debit/Freezing Order’ placed on the said accounts.”

http://punchng.com/efcc-freezes-patience-jonathans-personal-5m-account/

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by agwom(m): 7:40am On Sep 22, 2016
hmmmm
Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by sarrki(m): 7:43am On Sep 22, 2016
The best thing to do in a sane society

97 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by shamack: 7:43am On Sep 22, 2016
Lol,,,,some ppl will say its witch hunting now

81 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by EazyMoh(m): 7:49am On Sep 22, 2016
Let the chest beating begin/continue!

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by KINGMAKER001(m): 7:49am On Sep 22, 2016
He that comes to equity must come with a clean hands...the fight against corruption is purely one sided,even the deaf and the blind knows this...and trust me when I say Nigerians are no longer interested in the fight against corruption...no good account has been given about most of the recovered looted funds, most of the looters that secretly return little from the loots weren't mention or charged or punished so as to serves as a deterrent to other intending looters...I'm not saying the former first lady shouldn't be punished if found guilty ,but the was against corruption should be fought holistically.... if not, then its just a gimmick

97 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by BUHARImyDOG: 7:51am On Sep 22, 2016
My dog in action fighting opposition left and right

20 Likes

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by quiverfull(m): 7:52am On Sep 22, 2016
I hope that crook Kyari will allow Magu To See this investigation to a logical conclusion this time.

11 Likes

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by Israel5(m): 7:54am On Sep 22, 2016
Seen. #happyrecession
Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by idupaul: 7:55am On Sep 22, 2016
What can I say she brought it upon herself ..The EFCC tried to shield her but in some strange ways she refused to shielded ...He who the God's want to destroy is first made mad

118 Likes 13 Shares

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by oyatmicah(m): 8:01am On Sep 22, 2016
but dat woman deserves a public ass kicking aswear, see as she dey flaunt my hard earned money.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by jelel6: 8:11am On Sep 22, 2016
KINGMAKER001:
He that comes to equity must come with a clean hands...the fight against corruption is purely one sided,even the deaf and the blind knows this...and trust me when I say Nigerians are no longer interested in the fight against corruption...no good account has been given about most of the recovered looted funds, most of the looters that secretly return little from the loots weren't mention or charged or punished so as to serves as a deterrent to other intending looters...I'm not saying the former first lady shouldn't be punished if found guilty ,but the was against corruption should be fought holistically.... if not, then its just a gimmick
witch hunting is allowed by me. I wonder where people like you where during the last administration when no political will to fight corruption was shown. Selective persecution my foot. If the efcc has a case with you, i dont care if they all belong to oppositions.

186 Likes 17 Shares

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by Jengem: 8:13am On Sep 22, 2016
Leave peshe o

Stop trying to distract us from the ineptitude that is Buhari presidency

Buhari should probe his own salon housewife first so we know it is transparent

6 Likes

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by BossKratos: 8:43am On Sep 22, 2016
grin
shamack:
Lol,,,,some ppl will say its WITCH hunting now

Is she not a witch? She talks like one, looks like one and I don't think its possible to loot $15m without the use of demonic powers!

She her name sef.."Faka!"... Like witch own.

76 Likes 5 Shares

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by Jesusloveyou: 8:44am On Sep 22, 2016
Jengem:
Leave peshe o
Stop trying to distract us from the ineptitude that is Buhari presidency
Buhari should probe his own salon housewife first so we know it is transparent
hahahahaha, it is turn by turn, is time to probe all pdp, and u can reserve ur comment til 2031 when pdp wil also probe d first-lady. for now, just be enjoying d change.

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by HtwoOw: 10:23am On Sep 22, 2016
She look for yawa, she see yawa , this source get kleg sha

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by NgeneUkwenu(f): 10:42am On Sep 22, 2016
lalasticlala

Let the idiotic Avengers Do Their Worst. ..

Useless Woman!

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by BUHARImyDOG: 10:43am On Sep 22, 2016
jelel6:
you fit feed dog. Fool.
I can feed you plus10 buharis/dog

1 Like

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by muri4mig(m): 12:01pm On Sep 22, 2016
KINGMAKER001:
you are entitle to your opinion. As for us Nigerians, let the anti-corruption fight continues.

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by OAUTemitayo: 12:09pm On Sep 22, 2016
idupaul:
What can I say she brought it upon herself ..The EFCC tried to shield her but in some strange ways she refused to shielded ...He who the God's want to destroy is first made mad
Sometimes you make .....
Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by Nobody: 12:21pm On Sep 22, 2016
gbolakpine:
[s]The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has frozen a Skye Bank account belonging to former First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan with a balance of $5m.

According to reports, the step was taken after Mrs. Jonathan confirmed that the money came from the same source as the four frozen company accounts.

A detective at the EFCC told Punch, “Recall that we had frozen the four companies’ accounts, which Patience Jonathan later laid claim to. We have been able to establish that the money was part of proceeds of crime.

“She had no evidence that the money in the four accounts belonged to her. All she had were platinum debit cards, which she was using to withdraw money and the cards are not evidence of ownership.

“Initially, we had traced $5m to her personal account, which we did not touch but I can confirm to you now that the $5m account, bearing Patience Jonathan’s name, has also been seized since she claimed that the monies in the company accounts and the one in her personal name all emanated from the same source.

“We are tracing other accounts belonging to Patience. It will interest you to know that despite all the letters she has written, she has never stated where she got the money from. She claimed to be a housewife and yet she has $20m.”

The EFCC had uncovered four company accounts with a balance of $15m domiciled with Skye Bank while investigating a former Special Adviser to ex-President Jonathan on Domestic Affairs, Waripamowei Dudafa.

Patience Jonathan had laid claim to the accounts, stating that the money was for her medical bills.

The EFCC had also arraigned the four companies alongside Dudafa, a lawyer and a Skye Bank official for alleged money laundering which the companies pleaded guilty to.

http://www.kongegist.com/2016/09/money-laundering-efcc-freezes-patience-jonathans-personal-account[/s]/

Arrant nonsense. Go and investigate Turai Yaradua's account. Same with Titi Abubakar, Mariam Abacha, Late Ndidi Babangida, Late Stella Obasanjo, and Mrs. Shonekan. This selective justice must stop...because she and her husband are from 5%(SS/SE)!

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by Deeypeey(m): 1:05pm On Sep 22, 2016
hahahaha...the long hands ofthe law....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by demarc001: 1:05pm On Sep 22, 2016
Trouble. Upon trouble in Naija
Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by myners007: 1:05pm On Sep 22, 2016
Between Patience Jonathan, IBB and Obasanjo who is the biggest thief.EFCC is just a tool of the govt to fight against certain persons consideredc as threat to the administration

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by Montaque(m): 1:06pm On Sep 22, 2016
Another season film just began
Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by donodion(m): 1:06pm On Sep 22, 2016
From $31 million, to $15 million... now its $5 million.. hisses.

6 Likes

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by emerged01(m): 1:07pm On Sep 22, 2016
Good! How can a group of people be challenging the authority of a Govt just because of one corrupt woman?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by mrZENographer: 1:09pm On Sep 22, 2016
Leave this woman alone jor. Ahah

It is logical that she is rich because she made investments. And the fact that the rich gets richer.

LMAO grin EFCC officials are being hit hard by recession.
Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by Yomboy4ever(m): 1:09pm On Sep 22, 2016
Wailers should open a new account for dem mama and contribute 500 Naira each. Or they should continue wailing for for de rest of ther lives...

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by veekid(m): 1:09pm On Sep 22, 2016
Like say anything will come out of it; EFCC be like dog wey Sabi bark but can't bite .........

Why not kuku freeze GEJ own join; abi at all at all he no fit tel EFCC say he no Sabi how the money take Waka enter him wife account
Re: EFCC Freezes Patience Jonathan’s Personal Account by dotcomnamename: 1:09pm On Sep 22, 2016
[size=15pt]The wicked runs when no one chases them the scripture says. These evil people are coming out unaided. That's the Lord's doing and is marvelous in our eyes. Corruption will be dealt with and looters has no where to hide anymore.

Well done EFCC. Well done Buhari.

Nigeria will be great again.

3 gbosa fun baba keeee, ekira fun baba keeee.... GBOSA......GBOSA.......GBOSA..... E don pain WAILERS..... bunch of e-ratsssssssssss tongue tongue tongue
[/size]

27 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2019: What Atiku Told Me About Travelling To America – Gbenga Daniel / Electricity: FG, Labour Agree To Cut Price By N10.20 Per Kwh, For 3 Months / Godswill Akpabio Visit Asiwaju Bola Tinubu (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.