Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,521 members, 7,823,248 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Getting Divorced In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Getting Divorced In Nigeria (1759 Views)

15 Divorced People Reveal The Subtle Red Flags They Ignored Before Marrying / Brief Summary Of The Process And Cost Of Getting Divorced In Nigeria / Francis Van-Lare And Amara Van-Lare Are Divorced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting Divorced In Nigeria by WebGuy: 12:11pm On Sep 22, 2016
A long time ago in Nigeria (actually not that long), we had a culture of sticking through marriage even if it costs us our lives, but the tide is changing. Africa has picked up a new trend from the western culture. Many of our friends have towed this path, more are seriously contemplating this option.

Americans, according to Francis Wherido E, have the highest divorce rates of over 50% in the world: the Brangelina divorce being yet another data point in the statistics. There are no available statistics for divorce rates in Nigeria but court records, social media outbursts and side talk seem to suggest that it’s on the increase.

This is saddening. A love relationship that was once blissful turns sour, separation occurs and the children are made to suffer the consequences.

In Standing for Something, Gordon B. Hinchy voiced my stand on divorce. He says,

“The remedy for most marital stress is not in divorce. It is in repentance and forgiveness, in sincere expressions of charity and service. It is in simple integrity that leads a man and woman to square up their shoulders and meet their obligations. It is found in the golden rule, a time honored principle that should first and foremost find expression in marriage”

Great marriages are made of sacrifices and compromises, imperfect people loving each other perfectly. However, marriage is a long-term commitment, not a death sentence. If you are experiencing physical or emotional torture that is a threat to your life and you have done everything you can do in reconciliation and dialogue to fix the marriage but nothing seems to work, then maybe it’s time to call it quits. End the marriage, before it ends your life!

A woman in my estate died and was it discovered that her husband threw her down from a two-storey building after a very hot argument. We later found out after her death that she had been living a hell in her marriage.

Re: Getting Divorced In Nigeria by WebGuy: 12:11pm On Sep 22, 2016
How to file a divorce petition in Nigeria

So you have figured that getting a divorce is the way out of your marital dilemma, you can process the divorce using these guidelines.

To process a divorce in Nigeria, a divorce petition is to be filed by the party that wants the marriage dissolved. The court then confirms that the marriage meets the necessary requirements for a divorce, which are 8 in number according to the ’matrimonial act chapter 220, section 15/16 laws of the 1990 Nigerian constitution.

The respondent (your spouse) has willfully and persistently refuse to have sex with you i.e. consummate the marriage

Adultery: you have evidence of your spouse committing adultery and you find it intolerable to live with him or her

Unreasonable behavior such as rape, attempted murder, inflicting injury, bestiality etc.

You live apart for two years and your spouse does not object to it

Your partner has deserted you for at least a year before filing for divorce.

That you live apart for at least three years before filing a divorce petition.

That your spouse has failed to comply with conjugal and social rights according to the Nigerian law.

That your spouse has been absent for a long period of time and can be assumed dead.

Your type of marriage determines the appropriate court to file your divorce and the type of lawyer to hire.
If it’s a statutory marriage, you proceed to the customary court where you were contracted but if it’s a customary marriage, contracted under traditional laws, you go to the high court.

Divorces always come with a lot of drama, but it is definitely not the end of your world. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

Source: http://sobolation.com/get-divorced-nigeria/

Re: Getting Divorced In Nigeria by WebGuy: 12:19pm On Sep 22, 2016
Cc lalasticlala
Re: Getting Divorced In Nigeria by initiate: 7:04pm On Oct 31, 2019
what type of evidence do i have to present?

you know people hide these things very well

WebGuy:
How to file a divorce petition in Nigeria

So you have figured that getting a divorce is the way out of your marital dilemma, you can process the divorce using these guidelines.

To process a divorce in Nigeria, a divorce petition is to be filed by the party that wants the marriage dissolved. The court then confirms that the marriage meets the necessary requirements for a divorce, which are 8 in number according to the ’matrimonial act chapter 220, section 15/16 laws of the 1990 Nigerian constitution.

The respondent (your spouse) has willfully and persistently refuse to have sex with you i.e. consummate the marriage

Adultery: you have evidence of your spouse committing adultery and you find it intolerable to live with him or her

Unreasonable behavior such as rape, attempted murder, inflicting injury, bestiality etc.

You live apart for two years and your spouse does not object to it

Your partner has deserted you for at least a year before filing for divorce.

That you live apart for at least three years before filing a divorce petition.

That your spouse has failed to comply with conjugal and social rights according to the Nigerian law.

That your spouse has been absent for a long period of time and can be assumed dead.

Your type of marriage determines the appropriate court to file your divorce and the type of lawyer to hire.
If it’s a statutory marriage, you proceed to the customary court where you were contracted but if it’s a customary marriage, contracted under traditional laws, you go to the high court.

Divorces always come with a lot of drama, but it is definitely not the end of your world. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

Source: http://sobolation.com/get-divorced-nigeria/

(1) (Reply)

Pre Wedding Photo Of An Albino(ifeoma) / 9 Nigerian Men Share Why They Regret Getting Married / Am I To Be Blamed? My Wife And The Househelp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.