Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,733 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

Lagos Court Sentence 2 Men To Death By Hanging - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Court Sentence 2 Men To Death By Hanging (741 Views)

Olusegun Obasanjo: I Will Commit Suicide By Hanging If Nigeria Loses Hope / Fani-Kayode In Lagos Court For Patience Jonathan (Photos) / Court Sentences Mu’ammar Tukur To Death By Hanging In Katsina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Court Sentence 2 Men To Death By Hanging by Voy(m): 7:26pm On Sep 22, 2016
A High Court sitting in Ikeja, Lagos on Thursday sentenced two men to death by hanging, Vanguard reports.

Justice Oluwatoyin Ipaye sentenced the convicts, 20-year-old Charles Friday, and Chidiebere Ani, 21 for robbing a supermarket manager of N5 million.

Counsel to the convicts Mr C. C. Ezebube had asked the Judge to be merciful in his judgment.

“I plead that the court considers the age of the defendants, as they are young people who deserve another opportunity in life to contribute meaningfully to society,” Ezebube said.

The prosecutor Mr Akin George, told the court that the convicts committed the offences on Sept. 9, 2011 at Elobus Supermarket, Ago Palace Way, Okota, Ikeja, Lagos.

“Friday, a salesman, who worked at Elobus Supermarket, conspired with Ani, a trader from Alaba Market, to steal money from the supermarket.

“On the day of the robbery, based on the insider information given to Ani by Friday, Ani laid in wait underneath the stairs of the storey building housing the supermarket.

“The Manager, Mr Kingsley Obasi, between 9.00 p.m. and 9.30p.m. uses the stairs to take money to the director’s office.

“When Obasi was heading to the director’s office, he was hit at the back of the head with a metal object by Ani, who made off with N5 million belonging to the supermarket as well as the manager’s phone,” he said.

The prosecutor said the convicts were caught when they were overhead discussing the robbery.

“Friday was overheard discussing the robbery with Ani on the phone by his colleagues at the supermarket, who confronted him and searched his phone where messages to his accomplice were discovered,” George said.

According to him, the offences were in violation of Sections 295 (2)(a) and 297 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2011.

In his judgment Justice Ipaye said, “I have no doubt that the defendants are misguided youths like millions in the country.

“They are found guilty of the offences of conspiracy to commit armed robbery and armed robbery.

“The defendants are to be hung by the neck until they are dead, and may the Lord Almighty have mercy upon your souls,” the judge ruled.

Source: http://ynaija.com/lagos-court-sentence-2-men-to-death-by-hanging/
Re: Lagos Court Sentence 2 Men To Death By Hanging by GodIsBastard(f): 7:31pm On Sep 22, 2016
Poor criminals
Re: Lagos Court Sentence 2 Men To Death By Hanging by agwom(m): 7:34pm On Sep 22, 2016
cry
Re: Lagos Court Sentence 2 Men To Death By Hanging by nnachukz(m): 7:35pm On Sep 22, 2016
While I condemn their actions, I must say that this same judge will use technicalities to set a politician who steals our money free if brought before him. The law take swift response when commoners are involved. When will similar actions be taken against politicians?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Court Sentence 2 Men To Death By Hanging by Luckylife(m): 7:35pm On Sep 22, 2016
When will the politicians that stole with impunity serve these type of judgement ? Imagine what 5 million can cost for those misguided youth .

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Court Sentence 2 Men To Death By Hanging by talktrue1(m): 7:39pm On Sep 22, 2016
Chisos!!!
Re: Lagos Court Sentence 2 Men To Death By Hanging by mycar: 7:42pm On Sep 22, 2016
bad judgement , I thought that they killed their victim. it should have been converted to something different, 10 to 20 yrs should have been OK.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Court Sentence 2 Men To Death By Hanging by Voy(m): 9:41pm On Sep 22, 2016
Why was dis thread blocked
Re: Lagos Court Sentence 2 Men To Death By Hanging by GoldCircle: 10:40pm On Sep 22, 2016
Haba! Death penalty?! C'mon. That's abit too harsh. Sometimes I marvel at our judicial system and processes.

Lucky Igbinedion is a convicted criminal after he stole Edo state blind for 8 years. In fact, he owned up to the crime so as to get a lesser sentence. He paid his fine/penalty right there in the Court and went back home same day. And here we are with these two young gentlemen. Sentenced to death by hanging.

Unless of course, there's something they haven't told us. Did the supermarket manager die in the process?!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Court Sentence 2 Men To Death By Hanging by Voy(m): 9:18am On Sep 23, 2016
GoldCircle:
Haba! Death penalty?! C'mon. That's abit too harsh. Sometimes I marvel at our judicial system and processes.
Lucky Igbinedion is a convicted criminal after he stole Edo state blind for 8 years. In fact, he owned up to the crime so as to get a lesser sentence. He paid his fine/penalty right there in the Court and went back home same day. And here we are with these two young gentlemen. Sentenced to death by hanging.
Unless of course, there's something they haven't told us. Did the supermarket manager die in the process?!
don't think

(1) (Reply)

GRAPHIC Photos : Woman & Sons Bath Doctor With Acid In Benin Over Change In Will / Hungry And Jobless Youths Takes Sides As Politicians Battle For 2019 / Buhari Begin Emergency Repair Of Collapse Jaji Bridge Along Kaduna-Zaria Road(pi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.