Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,097 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor (4909 Views)

Official Results Of Osun West Senatorial Bye-election As Declared By INEC / Ben Bruce Joins Dickson To Celebrate 5th Anniversary As Bayelsa Governor / 43-Year-Old Sister To Bayelsa Governor, Tari, Engaged To Her 29-Year-Old Lover (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by PMBNG(m): 12:19am On Sep 23, 2016
THE Abuja Division of the Court of Appeal on Thursday held that Governor Seriake Dickson of Bayelsa State was validly elected as governor.

The court in a unanimous decision of a five-man panel presided over by Jimmi Olukayode Bada, resolved all the five issues raised by Sylva and the All Progressives Congress in favour of Dickson and the Peoples Democratic Party.

Justice Bada, who delivered the lead judgement, held that Sylva and his party failed to prove the allegations of corruption, non compliance, gross violation of the electoral act and other malpractices in the conduct of the election.

He said the foundation of the ground upon which the appellants based his case that the December 6, 2015 election was unilaterally cancelled by the State Resident Electoral Commissioner was eroded, having participated actively in the rescheduled election of January 9, 2016, adding that it was established beyond doubt that the decision is shift December 6,2015 election to January 9,2016 was taken by the Independent National Electoral Commission and stakeholders.

He said the burden of proof rests on the appellant who will lose if no adequate evidence is not placed before the court to prove his allegations on the conduct of the election that brought Dickson to power.

Bada held: “The contention of the appellant has no merit.

“They were expected to leave evidence to prove their claim that the election was marred by irregularities, electoral malpractices, allocation of votes and gross violation of electoral act.

“These allegations were not proved by the appellants.

I am in total agreement with the judgement of the lower Tribunal because its decision was based on the evidence place before it.”

Having resolved all the five issues raised by the appellants in favour of the respondents, Justice Bada dismissed the petition in its entirety for lacking in merit.

It would be recalled that Sylva and APC had challenged the election of Governor Dickson at the State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal on the ground that the governor was not lawfully returned through majority votes by the Independent National Electoral Commission.

But in a unanimous decision, the three-man tribunal, led by Justice Kazeem Aloba, the Tribunal held that the APC failed to prove its case.

In a marathon judgment delivered, the tribunal held that the election held in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area on January 9, 2016 was lawful and valid in law.

The tribunal further had held that from the evidence adduced before it, the election of December 6, 2015 was inconclusive and was rightfully rescheduled by INEC through the REC.

It also held that contrary to the position of the petitioner, election took place in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area of the state.

Fielding questions from newsmen shortly after the judgement was delivered, counsel to Sylva, Daniel Nwoko, said the judgement of the Court of Appeal will be tested at the Supreme Court because there are aspects of the judgement that needed clarification.

The Counsel to Dickson, Emeka Etiaba (SAN), lauded the judgement and praised the Justices for the industry put into it.

http://www.socialtimesng.com/2016/09/appeal-court-upholds-dicksons-election-as-bayelsa-governor/

3 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by bashydemy1: 1:58am On Sep 23, 2016
ok

Modified Congrats and IPOB and wailers won't shout Buhari name now ooo.
Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by Thisis2raw(m): 9:10am On Sep 23, 2016
Zombies won't like this

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by yekparikpa(m): 9:11am On Sep 23, 2016
APC =PDP =same thieves!

3 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by pachukwu16: 9:11am On Sep 23, 2016
Wetin wan happen before.
Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by austinbrown: 9:11am On Sep 23, 2016
Shame on Apc evil party

3 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by hazyfm1: 9:11am On Sep 23, 2016
Thisis2raw:
Zombies won't like this

You keep posting trash, while your fellow wailers are begging for our prayers grin grin grin

Very soon you will be begging for deliverance, not just prayers cheesy cheesy cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/3365880/please-pray-us-pdp-begs

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by veekid(m): 9:11am On Sep 23, 2016
Ok continue
Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by brofula(m): 9:14am On Sep 23, 2016
pls who is Sylva. They should allwo those elelcted to do the little they want to do.
we dont want all this distraction and court cases which they will use as excuse for not working for the people.

2 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by yeyeboi(m): 9:14am On Sep 23, 2016
Before who for win? Pdp is better than apc because most of the corrupt people in pdp have moved to apc for safety and continuity of corruption.

Think am well you go see sey na true grin

5 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by richidinho(m): 9:14am On Sep 23, 2016
So sylva still get mind go court

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by Innodon(m): 9:14am On Sep 23, 2016
Nice
Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by encryptjay(m): 9:15am On Sep 23, 2016
That one concern una

Happy Birthday Romanciella

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by ruggedtimi(m): 9:16am On Sep 23, 2016
Supreme court again..no chill
Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by nnachukz(m): 9:16am On Sep 23, 2016
No back door entry here. All the ND states need to be removed completely away from APC. PDP is not the only opposition party, we can elect APGA, KOWA or any other party at all.

2 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by vicola0281: 9:16am On Sep 23, 2016
please how much can I get IPHONE 7 without battery, charger n earpiece...
am serious abeg
Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by Thisis2raw(m): 9:16am On Sep 23, 2016
hazyfm1:

You keep posting trash, while your fellow wailers are begging for our prayers grin grin grin

Very soon you will be begging for deliverance, not just prayers cheesy cheesy cheesy

zombie spotted

7 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by ouzo1(m): 9:19am On Sep 23, 2016
hazyfm1:

I tink you need more prayers bro,ur level of ignorance can cause famine in any country

5 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by mustaphagreens(m): 9:19am On Sep 23, 2016
OK. Good for him.
Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by Nobody: 9:19am On Sep 23, 2016
Thisis2raw:
Zombies won't like this
austinbrown:
Shame on Apc evil party
I thought guys and ilks claimed PMB controls the judiciary... Now judgement has fallen in your way... Rule of law has returned abi?

I won't be surprised if you guyz claim it's because PMB isn't around. Clowns.

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by Pavore9: 9:21am On Sep 23, 2016
He should now focus on the delivery of service and welfare of his people.
Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by hazyfm1: 9:22am On Sep 23, 2016
ouzo1:

I tink you need more prayers bro,ur level of ignorance can cause famine in any country

Sorry about the famine in your family, do u mind coming for a ''De-Rica'' of rice later this evening?
Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by hazyfm1: 9:22am On Sep 23, 2016
Thisis2raw:
zombie spotted

Oh! The Chief Wailer is Back !!

Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by adenine02: 9:24am On Sep 23, 2016
i hope that dick-ass nigga can now pay is workers their 12month salary

just saying
Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by dman4mdmoon(m): 9:27am On Sep 23, 2016
ruggedtimi:
Supreme court again..no chill

Bro, which of the report did you read? Where u see Supreme court? It is clear that some people just rush to comment without reading a line from posted reports.

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by hazyfm1: 9:27am On Sep 23, 2016
adenine02:
i hope that dick-ass nigga can now pay is workers their 12month salary

just saying

Not a PDP supporter, but believe me, Dickson is a better Governor. He means well for his people.

Silva was never an option, if he like he can go to the Supreme Court, he will fail woefully.

Goodnews for the State
Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by Philinho(m): 9:29am On Sep 23, 2016
justice delayed.......
Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by ouzo1(m): 9:33am On Sep 23, 2016
hazyfm1:

Sorry about the famine in your family, do u mind coming for a ''De-Rica'' of rice later this evening?

You see why nigeria is losing everything...cuz we re infected with losers like you

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by hazyfm1: 9:36am On Sep 23, 2016
ouzo1:

You see why nigeria my family is losing everything...cuz we re infected with losers like you me

Modified,

Thank me later
Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by dman4mdmoon(m): 9:37am On Sep 23, 2016
I was having a discussion with a colleague after Supreme court upheld Gov. Yahaya Bello's election. In his view, the ruling must have been influenced by the presidency. This same person is giving kudos to Appeal court for upholding Gov. Dickson' election. To him, it is a fair judgement without influence. Hypocrisy! That is what it is called. The same thing with most people on this platform.
Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by Thisis2raw(m): 9:38am On Sep 23, 2016
hazyfm1:

Oh! The Chief Wailer is Back !!
tnx for making me chief Wailer it's an honour
Re: Appeal Court Upholds Dickson’s Election As Bayelsa governor by adenine02: 9:39am On Sep 23, 2016
hazyfm1:

Not a PDP supporter, but believe me, Dickson is a better Governor. He means well for his people.

Silva was never an option, if he like he can go to the Supreme Court, he will fail woefully.

Goodnews for the State

i dont like politics

i don't like dickson

i dont like silva

i jus hate to see this governor's enjoying while their pple suffer

Shalom

(1) (2) (Reply)

Radio Biafra Live Now / Caption This Photo Of Rotimi Amaechi After Supreme Court Judgement / Next Level: See How Nigerian Newspapers Reported Death Of Soldiers - Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.