Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless (14321 Views)

8 Years Gone. Am Tired Of Being Jobless / Being Jobless And Broke Hurts...(my Story) / Five Things I Would Learn To Do If I Was Jobless (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by Oyimzy(m): 7:10am On Sep 27, 2016
Lol, No oh I blame my self. Can't shift the blame.
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by VictorRomanov: 7:12am On Sep 27, 2016
slap1:

And the money for the establishment will fall from the sky? sad

How much do u think u need to establish? Keep blaming someone. There has been no jobs in nigeria before we all went to school? What makes u think there will now suddenly be jobs after graduation. Just think a little outside the box and u re good.

For example how much do u need to become an agent, i mean help someone to buy a piece of land and get a commission for it? Or learn how to take people's measurement, and help them take their clothes to good tailors for a commission, how much do u think it cost?

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by Techpaded(f): 7:15am On Sep 27, 2016
sad
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by emyarndy(m): 7:18am On Sep 27, 2016
Still hunting. .... hope to get one soon...... naija for show...... God bless naija.....
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by frubben(m): 7:29am On Sep 27, 2016
drstainlex:
Gfggfhh

How did you escape from yaba left
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by Fingerprinter(m): 7:35am On Sep 27, 2016
AuroraB:
Pray, tell me why you are on this thread? Mr. Self-made-billionaire, the money to start-up will fall like hail, I guess undecided And, ever reasoned; everyone can't and will not be self-employed

Stop being paranoid. Visit the business section and see for yourself. A lot of young Nigerians have woken up and are becoming millionaires daily with just the same android phone and data you're using to comment on romance section. Visit business section and look closely. I know that one day you'll come back to thank me for this info I've revealed to you.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by phenzy(m): 7:36am On Sep 27, 2016
The thunder wey go fire my village witches dey do road side jogging
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by Sezua(m): 7:38am On Sep 27, 2016
Godswillnwaoma:
depend on how u see it bro, money sometimes is never an obtacle for a creative entreprenurs. Start up something no matter how small.
pls dnt be Unreasonable. Can u tel us a reasonable thing anybody cn start without Money?
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by Nobody: 7:51am On Sep 27, 2016
adewumiopeyemi:
is what u have in ur brain will determine/ is not about connection... u just need to be prepare focus and determine,...in getting ur favourite job i got my job through that
No one is saying people don't still get job on merit. What I am saying is that beyond being your on obstacle at job interview, many other factors can serve as hindrance to you.
This article was written to encourage our job seekers not to not be frustrated after an interview.
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by AuroraB(f): 7:51am On Sep 27, 2016
Fingerprinter:

Stop being paranoid. Visit the business section and see for yourself. A lot of young Nigerians have woken up and are becoming millionaires daily with just the same android phone and data you're using to comment on romance section. Visit business section and look closely. I know that one day you'll come back to thank me for this info I've revealed to you.
Your brain is being fingered lo to oro. Your comment in no way relates to mine. Or, show me in my comment where I shot down at self establishment abi o s'ere ni undecided.
Like I begged you for a job or something
To think you the quintessential billionaire had the time to check up on me and section I visit most cheesy. That's something wink undecided
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by Lightening: 7:58am On Sep 27, 2016
TheSlyone2:
After putting up a stunning performance at a job interview, a regret mail still follows. This might not be your fault after all. Below are some reasons that will prove you're on the right path..

NATURE OF THE ECONOMY
The current Paralysis in the economic activities of this country give little or no room for investment hence, a drastic reduction in the number of employment quota. Imagine when the economy was fully vetted, unemployment was on the rise. How much more when when we have no plan in place to stabilize the economy. The implications of this is ; Portfolio that usually have 30Slots is likely to be slashed by 1/3rd. Which further make an already tight contest tighter.

NIGERIAN HRMs
In every job interview, the bridge between an applicant and the prospective job is the HR. I've noticed a clear difference between Nigerian HR and their foreign counterparts. In Nigeria, HRM sees interview as war. They ll do everything to get you off balance. Even if you outsmart them with your level of preparedness and confidence, they'll create new rules to ensure you don't get the job. The most annoying part is when they have to invite 100 candidates for a single position, regardless of the effort you put, luck might not just smile at you. That doesn't mean you performed woefully. No, it the system.

CONNECTION
In a bid to secure a high paying job in multinational companies and government parastatals, you have to have some sort of connections. It is very painful to see yourself go through series of test, assessment Centre, group discussions only for you to meet entirely different faces during the interview. That only is enough to demoralize you. Believe me, it only in Nigeria you ll see graduates of Medicine, Engineering and law teaching and hawking GNLD Products. That's not because they lack the Zeal to compete in challenging environment but rather the available slot In high profile job have been hijacked through who-know-who mechanism. You attend an interview and a regret mail follows, never get dejected, someone at the top want that slot for someone else.

RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Regardless of how superb your performance is in a job interview, if a success mail doesn't follow, friends and family see you as failure. The recruitment process in Nigerian companies is very annoying. The common cliche at the end of every job interview in Nigeria has always been " we will get back to you" this keep most graduate in suspense. You don't hear from them doesn't mean you didn't perform. Believe me, a lot must have happened during this period. Take for instance, you were the preferred candidate but along the line " connection" factor played out or the company tend to put the recruitment process on hold.

YOUR VILLAGE PEOPLE
Regardless of how much effort you put up during job interview if forces from your village follow you enter the interview venue, You will talk everything in your mouth and still not get hired. That doesn't mean you are bad. No, far from it..

Very defeatist. Just go and learn a skill. In that way none of these excuses for joblessness will be applicable.
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by slap1(m): 8:11am On Sep 27, 2016
VictorRomanov:

How much do u think u need to establish? Keep blaming someone. There has been no jobs in nigeria before we all went to school? What makes u think there will now suddenly be jobs after graduation. Just think a little outside the box and u re good.

For example how much do u need to become an agent, i mean help someone to buy a piece of land and get a commission for it? Or learn how to take people's measurement, and help them take their clothes to good tailors for a commission, how much do u think it cost?

I understand your point, but those things you've mentioned cannot regularly put food on one's table. And my grouse is with how people seem to demonize paid employment these days...

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by VictorRomanov: 8:21am On Sep 27, 2016
slap1:

I understand your point, but those things you've mentioned cannot regularly put food on one's table. And my grouse is with how people seem to demonize paid employment these days...

lemme correct some impressions.

1. Those jobs can regularly put food on ur table. It might take a while for it to happen, cos u need to establish a wide client base and it takes time, but it surely can put food on ur table. Besides, in most cases people do this to serve as a leverage for something better: maybe getting more education or even raising capital to establish a more stable business. In all, one should not be stagnant.

2. No one is demonising salaried jobs. Not everyone would be an enterpreneur. But what happens in a situation were one waits 4-6yrs for a salaried job that is not forth coming? Keep sitting and waiting?? If those 4-6yrs were invested in a small venture, while waiting for the salaried job, u may find out that before long, u may not want to work for anybody.

One of the reasons while we went to school is to be self-reliant individuals. (i think that was my school's motto). But if we keep on blaming others and not do anything ourselves, of what use is our schooling.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by ihedioramma: 8:22am On Sep 27, 2016
Pavore9:
From my personal experience and acquired knowledge, l will blame myself if l find myself jobless in Nigeria today.
you said well . people to school to acquire knowledge at the end they tell you he or she is looking for job for over five years now. i now what are they teaching in school ? .
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by EnyojoAmos: 8:27am On Sep 27, 2016
Don't blame the economy, dnt blame any village, nd dnt blame anytin.. I mean so many people hav miss the road and end up whre there not supos to be;if u can trace ur lifestyle back 'likly b full of sin nd firtines, mindles of obeying the word of God, then you expect favour from som where? nobody is perfect but beliv u me 'if u were conscious enof ' the economy can't be an hindrance.
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by amicable09(f): 8:30am On Sep 27, 2016
TheSlyone2:

I think I've seen this face somewhere. Let me think, job/vacancy chat room I guess.
We often blame ourselves even when it obvious the fault doesn't lie with us...
Morning Ami
Sometimes it doesn't. But other times it does.
Some of us just feel too big. Unemployment has humbled a lot of graduates.
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by NaLaugh: 8:40am On Sep 27, 2016
Pavore9:
From my personal experience and acquired knowledge, l will blame myself if l find myself jobless in Nigeria today.

Unfortunately, people find it easier to blame everyone and everything else for their failures, without looking in the mirror.
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by Pavore9: 8:43am On Sep 27, 2016
ihedioramma:
you said well . people to school to acquire knowledge at the end they tell you he or she is looking for job for over five years now. i now what are they teaching in school ? .

Going to school is not just about acquiring certificates but the knowledge acquired being a trigger to view life from a broader perspective that makes one see himself/herself as a solution enabler.
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by Nobody: 8:48am On Sep 27, 2016
amicable09:

Sometimes it doesn't. But other times it does.
Some of us just feel too big. Unemployment has humbled a lot of graduates.
Yea, that's very true. Now the question I can't stop asking myself is this; take for instance 12 candidates were invited for a single position and all the applicants perform extraordinarily well. Would that change the stance of the company to hire all of them?
Absolutely NO. Someone has to be dropped. Inasmuch as we must blame ourselves for falling to clinch a job, other factors still plays a vital role.
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by Pavore9: 8:51am On Sep 27, 2016
NaLaugh:

Unfortunately, people find it easier to blame everyone and everything else for their failures, without looking in the mirror.

Some derive "comfort" from blaming others and that keeps them in the holes they find themselves. Even with the present economic situation, l have evolved past blaming others but rather focused on building on what is entirely within my influence because l have made up my mind not to get hypertensive over what is happening in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by ihedioramma: 8:51am On Sep 27, 2016
Pavore9:

Going to school is not just about acquiring certificates but the knowledge acquired being a trigger to view life from a broader perspective that makes one see himself/herself as a solution enabler.
. That is it .
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by Nobody: 8:55am On Sep 27, 2016
Pavore9:

Welcome to Nigeria where
1. We have a crippled economy: Dollar has gained weight over Naira. Regardless of how business minded you are, you will want to think twice before diving into a business in an unrealistic economy
2. Where power supply is crippled: Talk of being self reliance, then I'll tell you that advance nation such as China, USA and Germany who are the hub of technology has approximately 24hours power supply. If not of recent, we gone weeks without power..
3. Cost of living : everyone taking about thinking outside the box, go into business and what I view. All this requires some sort of start up capital. Where would you get that from?
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by ihedioramma: 9:13am On Sep 27, 2016
Nigeria is were it is today because people that went to school to acquire knowledge want's only the certificates . at the end they take there certificates to companies for job why they are more knowledge than the owner of the company . dangote e.t.c all this rich people they did not acquire much in school .
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by Pavore9: 9:14am On Sep 27, 2016
TheSlyone2:

Welcome to Nigeria where
1. We have a crippled economy: Dollar has gained weight over Naira. Regardless of how business minded you are, you will want to think twice before diving into a business in an unrealistic economy
2. Where power supply is crippled: Talk of being self reliance, then I'll tell you that advance nation such as China, USA and Germany who are the hub of technology has approximately 24hours power supply. If not of recent, we gone weeks without power..
3. Cost of living : everyone taking about thinking outside the box, go into business and what I view. All this requires some sort of start up capital. Where would you get that from?

I live in Nairobi where l access 24 hours of power supply but l know how far when it comes to power issue in Nigeria. Even if dollar hits N700, l know with my knowledge, all l need is to lease about 6 plots of land near a river for a year in a rural community in Ogun State which l believe l can get for less than N50K (which is not up to what some spend on phones) and with an extra N150k and 4 months, I will be supplying about 12,000 heads of cabbage to the Lagos market, each not selling less than N200 as they will be weighing about 4kg.

I also know how to preserve them without electricity and still look freshly harvested when l finally get to sell them.

There are opportunities, knowledge triggers them!
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by Nobody: 9:26am On Sep 27, 2016
TheSlyone2:
After putting up a stunning performance at a job interview, a regret mail still follows. This might not be your fault after all. Below are some reasons that will prove you're on the right path..

NATURE OF THE ECONOMY
The current Paralysis in the economic activities of this country give little or no room for investment hence, a drastic reduction in the number of employment quota. Imagine when the economy was fully vetted, unemployment was on the rise. How much more when when we have no plan in place to stabilize the economy. The implications of this is ; Portfolio that usually have 30Slots is likely to be slashed by 1/3rd. Which further make an already tight contest tighter.

NIGERIAN HRMs
In every job interview, the bridge between an applicant and the prospective job is the HR. I've noticed a clear difference between Nigerian HR and their foreign counterparts. In Nigeria, HRM sees interview as war. They ll do everything to get you off balance. Even if you outsmart them with your level of preparedness and confidence, they'll create new rules to ensure you don't get the job. The most annoying part is when they have to invite 100 candidates for a single position, regardless of the effort you put, luck might not just smile at you. That doesn't mean you performed woefully. No, it the system.

CONNECTION
In a bid to secure a high paying job in multinational companies and government parastatals, you have to have some sort of connections. It is very painful to see yourself go through series of test, assessment Centre, group discussions only for you to meet entirely different faces during the interview. That only is enough to demoralize you. Believe me, it only in Nigeria you ll see graduates of Medicine, Engineering and law teaching and hawking GNLD Products. That's not because they lack the Zeal to compete in challenging environment but rather the available slot In high profile job have been hijacked through who-know-who mechanism. You attend an interview and a regret mail follows, never get dejected, someone at the top want that slot for someone else.

RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Regardless of how superb your performance is in a job interview, if a success mail doesn't follow, friends and family see you as failure. The recruitment process in Nigerian companies is very annoying. The common cliche at the end of every job interview in Nigeria has always been " we will get back to you" this keep most graduate in suspense. You don't hear from them doesn't mean you didn't perform. Believe me, a lot must have happened during this period. Take for instance, you were the preferred candidate but along the line " connection" factor played out or the company tend to put the recruitment process on hold.

YOUR VILLAGE PEOPLE
Regardless of how much effort you put up during job interview if forces from your village follow you enter the interview venue, You will talk everything in your mouth and still not get hired. That doesn't mean you are bad. No, far from it..

My opinion about this post : THRASH (no offence)

If you keep blaming things or pple around you for what or what did not happen to you, you are already on the way to failure.

Be a Man and blame yourself for whatever befall yu, that is how yu can defeat yur village spirit (if yu think yu have one)
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by amicable09(f): 9:30am On Sep 27, 2016
TheSlyone2:

Yea, that's very true. Now the question I can't stop asking myself is this; take for instance 12 candidates were invited for a single position and all the applicants perform extraordinarily well. Would that change the stance of the company to hire all of them?
Absolutely NO. Someone has to be dropped. Inasmuch as we must blame ourselves for falling to clinch a job, other factors still plays a vital role.
Absolutely no. They can't possibly take all 10 of them for obvious reasons.

The other factors that play a role in this unemployment saga aren't vital they are minor. That one place couldn't absorb you doesn't mean if you work your way up another two recruitment processes, you'll be unlucky.
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by Fingerprinter(m): 9:31am On Sep 27, 2016
AuroraB:
Your brain is being fingered lo to oro. Your comment in no way relates to mine. Or, show me in my comment where I shot down at self establishment abi o s'ere ni undecided.
Like I begged you for a job or something
To think you the quintessential billionaire had the time to check up on me and section I visit most cheesy. That's something wink undecided
Hahahaha, madam just confirmed my assertion. I didn't even check your profile your profile to know where you visit most. I just knew only people from the romance section reason the way you do. Bye!
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by Nobody: 9:36am On Sep 27, 2016
Pavore9:

I live in Nairobi where l access 24 hours of power supply but l know how far when it comes to power issue in Nigeria. Even if dollar hits N700, l know with my knowledge, all l need is to lease about 6 plots of land near a river for a year in a rural community in Ogun State which l believe l can get for less than N50K (which is not up to what some spend on phones) and with an extra N150k and 4 months, I will be supplying about 12,000 heads of cabbage to the Lagos market, each not selling less than N200 as they will be weighing about 4kg.

I also know how to preserve them without electricity and still look freshly harvested when l finally get to sell them.

There are opportunities, knowledge triggers them!
6 plots of land for 50K? It must be a while when you left the shore of Nigeria. No wonder, you say you stay in Nairobi. Is the whole of Kenya up to Lagos population? I doubt.
Let's assume Ogun was still in the colonial era when 6plots of land can be bought for as low as 50K, where on earth are you going to raise 150K from?
Don't tell me you are going to apply for loan from Bank. Recession has hit banking industry.
Don't tell me you ll borrow from friends and family, they too need all the cash they can lay their hands on.
The truth is, if you can survive as Nigerian in Nigeria, you can survive anywhere in the world
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by Nobody: 9:42am On Sep 27, 2016
amicable09:

Absolutely no. They can't possibly take all 10 of them for obvious reasons.

The other factors that play a role in this unemployment saga aren't vital they are minor. That one place couldn't absorb you doesn't mean if you work your way up another two recruitment processes, you'll be unlucky.
Maybe. To support your point, the more interview you attend, the more sharp and better you become. But one can easily argue that the current economic crisis has made Nigeria to loose the truth of investors, hence a drastic reduction in number of openings and interview call you get.
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by oluwasegun007(m): 9:57am On Sep 27, 2016
Very correct......but the correct arrangement is from bottom up.. grin grin grin
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by Zirah: 10:04am On Sep 27, 2016
It's called Hyperbole in Literature.

deedrizzie:
Op.... medical graduates hawking GNLD ah ahnn... we both know that's not possible... let's be careful with all these examples we use to butter our stories.. .

... nice article btw...
Re: 5 Reasons You Are Not To Blame For Being Jobless by amicable09(f): 10:04am On Sep 27, 2016
TheSlyone2:

Maybe. To support your point, the more interview you attend, the more sharp and better you become. But one can easily argue that the current economic crisis has made Nigeria to loose the truth of investors, hence a drastic reduction in number of openings and interview call you get.
Well yea, interview invites may reduce but do not also forget that people are resigning voluntarily and openings will be made available.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Interswitch Group Graduate & Exp. Job Recruitment / High Paying Contract Job Or State Civil Service: Which Should I Choose? / Want To Grab The Employer’s Attention With Your CV? Follow These Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.