Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. (3116 Views)

Mark Zuckerberg Was NEVER An Atheist In The First Place . / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / For Those Who Claim Bishop Adolf Hitler Was An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by Mercykayy(m): 1:56pm On Sep 27, 2016
MizyB:

I'm so sorry about your sister.

but do u think you're becoming an atheist or you've made up your mind to be one?

I don't wish to be one but i also don't believe God exist too.
Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by Mercykayy(m): 1:57pm On Sep 27, 2016
JSoE:

OK. Slow down,sweetie.
What makes you think the bible is thrash? Have you gone through it properly?
I don't need to go through it because I think its trash

1 Like

Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by Mercykayy(m): 1:59pm On Sep 27, 2016
Blaqsmith:

Well, that reason doesn't make you an atheist.

I'm an atheist and I still attend church service when I want. I read the bible at times and ponder on some words in it. I believe there are many people like me that are atheists and still do the same thing. Even pastors.

Just like I said earlier; disappointments, not going to church, sense of apathy against the bible, and lots more reasons one might wanna grasp on to to claim the tag "atheist" aren't what atheism espouse. Rather, it is simply a lack of belief in the existence of god or any deity.

Do you believe in God?
That will tell us a lot about you.
I'm beginning to think he doesn't exist. Don't know how to let them know about this at home.
Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by Mercykayy(m): 2:01pm On Sep 27, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
You self check am na. The story be as e get.
Can you see now. Most Christians won't believe that but atheist do. Christians are doubtful.
Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by Blaqsmith(m): 2:07pm On Sep 27, 2016
Mercykayy:

I'm beginning to think he doesn't exist. Don't know how to let them know about this at home.
Well, I'd advise you to be subtle in dealing with that.

Nigerian parents won't take that and it might result to adverse effect on your well being. Nevertheless, you are still their son and they still love you, only that they are ignorant that change in belief doesn't mean change in personality.

You are not alone anyway. This section houses lot of loving and intelligent atheists who might get you refined. You will just be good without any god.

I wish you well.

1 Like

Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by Mercykayy(m): 2:13pm On Sep 27, 2016
Blaqsmith:

Well, I'd advise you to be subtle in dealing with that.

Nigerian parents won't take that and it might result to adverse effect on your well being. Nevertheless, you are still their son and they still love you, only that they are ignorant that change in belief doesn't mean change in personality.

You are not alone anyway. This section houses lot of loving and intelligent atheists who might get you refined. You will just be good without any god.

I wish you well.

Thanks so much. I do appreciate it.
Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by kjhova(m): 2:26pm On Sep 27, 2016
Blaqsmith:

Well, that reason doesn't make you an atheist.

I'm an atheist and I still attend church service when I want. I read the bible at times and ponder on some words in it. I believe there are many people like me that are atheists and still do the same thing. Even pastors.

Just like I said earlier; disappointments, not going to church, sense of apathy against the bible, and lots more reasons one might wanna grasp on to to claim the tag "atheist" aren't what atheism espouse. Rather, it is simply a lack of belief in the existence of god or any deity.

Do you believe in God?
That will tell us a lot about you.

Hey @Blaqsmith, I think you are being a little too hard on @Mercykayy.

He is troubled and for once in his life he is beginning to question the assumptions he has always held as fact. This state is where everyone born into religion begins the journey potentially to atheism. So even if he is not exactly an atheist yet, he may surely well be on the path to being one.

Dear @OP, I was in your state in '92. It took me a very long time till 2002 to become a convinced atheist. I tried hard to rationalise religion but ended with the reality that religion is only man's attempt at explaining his existence in this plane. Being so long in religion, you may be troubled to take the leap out. Take your time, think about it, engage people; both religious and atheist. In the meantime, enjoy your life, leave a just life, appreciate the world and show respect to nature. Do what is right by your conscience and believe me, you'd be just fine.

You may be scared of going to hell at first, if you are given to superstition, but soon you'd come to realise that the concept of a god burning billions in fire forever is beyond absurd and is thankfully only restricted to Christianity and Islam. Also take an interest in space and our on-going exploration of Mars and the universe beyond. It has proven to be so refreshing for me.

Finally, your way of life and general behaviour must reflect your rational state of mind. I mean display a good behaviour always and let the brain in your cranium show through always.

3 Likes

Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by ifenes(m): 2:31pm On Sep 27, 2016
TheSixthSense:
I'll tell you it's dangerous to become an atheist. I'd suggest you read the book of John. The whole book and pray. Don't continue attending church that preaches what's not inline with good conscience. You'll begin to know Jesus Christ and He will meet you where you are.

Read a book and pray? How does that help? A slave fears for the freedom of others,because he has found comfort in his miseries and has no idea what freedom is.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by JSoE(f): 2:46pm On Sep 27, 2016
Mercykayy:

I don't need to go through it because I think its trash

Lol. You can't know if your food is delicious until you have a taste of it.

So,I'd advise you look through the bible before drawing conclusion.

Confusion awaits you. And believe me, honey, you won't enjoy life if you're confused.

Don't just jump in and say you're an atheist without actually understanding the trash you despise because the speed with which you dived in may exceed that which you'll rush out with.

One day, some 'bokorized' christains will come for your head and that day,you'll need the knowledge of the bible to make good comebacks(some christains can manufacture bible verses eh grin especially the ones on nairaland)

Welcome to 'club : mind-awakening',brother.

2 Likes

Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by Blaqsmith(m): 2:48pm On Sep 27, 2016
kjhova:

Hey @Blaqsmith, I think you are being a little too hard on @Mercykayy.

He is troubled and for once in his life he is beginning to question the assumptions he has always held as fact. This state is where everyone born into religion begins the journey potentially to atheism. So even if he is not exactly an atheist yet, he may surely well be on the path to being one.

Dear @OP, I was in your state in '92. It took me a very long time till 2002 to become a convinced atheist. I tried hard to rationalise religion but ended with the reality that religion is only man's attempt at explaining his existence in this plane. Being so long in religion, you may be troubled to take the leap out. Take your time, think about it, engage people; both religious and atheist. In the meantime, enjoy your life, leave a just life, appreciate the world and show respect to nature. Do what is right by your conscience and believe me, you'd be just fine.

You may be scared of going to hell at first, if you are given to superstition, but soon you'd come to realise that the concept of a god burning billions in fire forever is beyond absurd and is thankfully only restricted to Christianity and Islam. Also take an interest in space and our on-going exploration of Mars and the universe beyond. It has proven to be so refreshing for me.

Finally, your way of life and general behaviour must reflect your rational state of mind. I mean display a good behaviour always and let the brain in your cranium show through always.
No. Not at all sir. I wasn't any hard.

My statement might look hard but it was only to understand the OP's standpoint more.
I was once in his shoe, but walked a different path.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by Mercykayy(m): 2:54pm On Sep 27, 2016
@ kjhova, thanks so much.
Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by ifenes(m): 3:05pm On Sep 27, 2016
@Mercykayy

Firstly I do sympathize with your sister's condition. I know it is hard to take but sometimes such things happen to wake us up to out true selves.But I do believe with collective positive minds your sister can get a speedy recovery.

The potential to become an Atheist is within anyone and it shouldn't be the issue. But understanding life from a verified perspective,being a nice person because it creates a better world for you and others should be enough reason to be nice....not because it pleases a god/pastor or escape from hell.

Our world is slowing and gradually waking up to the fact that there isn't a god after all. Others may fight the idea but within them is a seed of doubt no matter how strong they think their faith are. The best thing is to do what is best for you and not for a god. Man has created a god that lean on humans for emotional support...

Be safe and do not be bothered about being an Atheist,it is only a disbelieve god/gods,nothing more. Not even a lifestyle.

3 Likes

Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by kjhova(m): 3:05pm On Sep 27, 2016
Blaqsmith:

No. Not at all sir. I wasn't any hard.

My statement might look hard but it was only to understand the OP's standpoint more.
I was once in his shoe, but walked a different path.

All am telling you man, is that you should cut a troubled mind some slack. That's what a therapist would do. You are calm and normal and can reason properly but he is troubled and not in the best emotions. You really wana hold an academic or reasonable dialogue in that state? Comfort the troubled first, appreciate his situation and as you have been in that state before, try to relate to his needs. He is disillusioned with religion and he feels he is on the path to atheism. Being born into religion, naturally he will have his worries. Our least fair action will be to assist him the best we can to reach closure on this matter.
Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by Blaqsmith(m): 3:10pm On Sep 27, 2016
kjhova:

All am telling you man, is that you should cut a troubled mind some slack. That's what a therapist would do. You are calm and normal and can reason properly but he is troubled and not in the best emotions. You really wana hold an academic or reasonable dialogue in that state? Comfort the troubled first, appreciate his situation and as you have been in that state before, try to relate to his needs. He is disillusioned with religion and he feels he is on the path to atheism. Being born into religion, naturally he will have his worries. Our least fair action will be to assist him the best we can to reach closure on this matter.
I'm no therapist. But anyway, I'm sorry if my words look hard even though that's not my intention.
Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by Nobody: 3:36pm On Sep 27, 2016
Mercykayy:

I don't visit this section and today is my first. OK? My sis is down with kidney failure and no pastor has been able to help. Even known pastors too aren't able to do anything. Thought God is a healer. She is afraid to travel for operation in India and she got a donor already. its been almost 2years now and she's a strong believer too. Can you explain why God choose not to heal her then.
if she is a true believer, then what she is going through is just a rain in the day which will cease eventually and there will be a perfect sunshine in the end.

First read this my thread below (why God Allow Bad Things To Happen To Good People) and know why she is passing through all this== > www.nairaland.com/3341140/why-god-allows-bad-things

As a believer, we always expect distress and should never be surprise when it comes because it will only make us stronger when the storm is over eventually. I have gone through distress and I still expect more in the future but without God, nothing is bearable but with God, everything is bearable.

Jesus Christ has warned us to expect tribulations in this world but never to worry because He has defeated the world. A time will come when there shall be no sickness, sorrow and death.

Now listen, the life of your sister lies in your hands. You can heal your sister on your own. All you have to do is get back your faith in God, renounce sin and promise God in prayer never to go back to it again for the rest of your life on earth, asking Him to restore the health of your sister in return. Now, this is a covenant and God loves covenants but abhors anyone who breaks His covenant.

After your have promised God that, wait for 7 days and ensure you've not gone back to anything sinful most especially sexual immorality. On the seventh day, lay your hands on your sister belly and ask God in prayer to seal the agreement between you and Him. At exactly 1 month old as a born again child of God without sin, repeat that same process again and watch your sister live. Take her to the hospital having the faith that she is healed. If you do all these CORRECTLY, you and her doctor will be shocked of your sister's next medical kidney report.

Again, tell me her name so that I will put her in prayer because I notice everything I ask from God recently I always get them and your sisters case will not be an exception smiley
Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by Mercykayy(m): 5:30pm On Sep 27, 2016
Thanks everyone for your contributions. I do appreciate.
Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by Nobody: 6:07pm On Sep 27, 2016
Mercykayy:
Thanks everyone for your contributions. I do appreciate.
you're welcome my dear but your are ignoring the last step, which is giving me her name. I don't need her full name but only her first name so that when I speak to God in prayer, I should be able to tell Him the exact person I'm referring to but if you choose to do it on your own without my assistance, it's still OK. Just have faith and everything will be fine smiley
Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by ValentineMary(m): 6:34pm On Sep 27, 2016
TheSixthSense:
I'll tell you it's dangerous to become an atheist. I'd suggest you read the book of John. The whole book and pray. Don't continue attending church that preaches what's not inline with good conscience. You'll begin to know Jesus Christ and He will meet you where you are.
I know u as a smart theist but I did not know u could make such statement @ bold.

1 Like

Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by MizyB(f): 6:57pm On Sep 27, 2016
Mercykayy:

I don't wish to be one but i also don't believe God exist too.
why do u not believe in his existence?
Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by Mercykayy(m): 6:58pm On Sep 27, 2016
Jesuobu:
you're welcome my dear but your are ignoring the last step, which is giving me her name. I don't need her full name but only her first name so that when I speak to God in prayer, I should be able to tell Him the exact person I'm referring to but if you choose to do it on your own without my assistance, it's still OK. Just have faith and everything will be fine smiley

I'm sorry but can't disclose that. i'm afraid she might be reading this and me mentioning her name might trigger what I'm afraid don't want to happen. I respect her privacy. I'm really sorry and thanks for your love.
Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by Mercykayy(m): 7:07pm On Sep 27, 2016
MizyB:

why do u not believe in his existence?
I really don't just believe that.
Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by OgundeleT(m): 7:12pm On Sep 27, 2016
Mercykayy:
Please help! I think I am becoming an atheist. I've realized that I just don't believe in christianity anymore. I only attend church services anytime I'm home but not in school. Church preaching are always boring to me..
Please, I don't want insults. Thanks all.
all these has not made u an atheist but disbelieving in any god. let's reason these together: did you choose to be xtian before? u was spoonfed by ur parent or guardian and if u happen to be born in a country like saudi , pakistan or any islamic country, u av the higher probability of becoming a muslim. ur religion, the language u speak, ur tribe are all what ur society offer u

2 Likes

Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by Nobody: 7:24pm On Sep 27, 2016
as for me i don't care if you are an atheist or not just live your life with common sense and study more about christianity and atheism then weigh the evidence of both and choose your path
note-am an agnostic atheist
cc:plaetton,hahn,joseph1013

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by najib632(m): 7:25pm On Sep 27, 2016
Mercykayy:
Please help! I think I am becoming an atheist. I've realized that I just don't believe in christianity anymore. I only attend church services anytime I'm home but not in school. Church preaching are always boring to me..
Trust me bro don't become an atheist accept research more about Islam, Search videos of Islamic scholars like Dr. Zakir Naik, Ahmad Deedat, Mufti Mink etc. search on topics like Islam in Christianity and Was Jesus a Muslim and so on, because saying that there is no God is the greatest ungratefulness on earth and this is exactly how devil wants you to think, He doesn't want you to know that God exists or he(Satan) or the angels and the unseen exists so that you'll live your life how you want it instead of following the 10 commandments. Imagine of all the three religions followed the 10 commandments do you think there would be any problem in this world even though majority of Muslims try to do. If you research very well on terrorism you'll discover that it's the creation of Devil worshipers. U.S. said Sadam Hussein had Mass destructive Chemical weapons but were are they? why hasn't pentagon shown us the weapons till today? I want you to reasearch on "operation false flag" and "Tim Osman" you'll see why I am telling you the truth, Do you know that U.S. has pipe lines that transport crude from the middle East through the Caspian sea? Anonymous(they are a Hacktivist group) Once Hacked Mossad and found out that Mossad carries out covert operations in Nigeria, Libya, Somalia, Syria and Yemen. Do you know that a sucide bomber once entered the prophets mosque and detonated himself? the media won't say all of this. If you're truly searching for truth take time and research on Islam I promise you won't be disappointed.

1 Like

Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by realmindz: 7:41pm On Sep 27, 2016
Jesuobu:
Yeah that is the implication of visiting this religion section with a weak faith. I know so many baby Christians visit this section and become atheist eventually and I will do all I can to help as many as I can not to fall prey.

For the people who think Christianity is just a "religion", I bet you, in the end, you will realize that Christianity is not just a religion but union between God and His people.

JEHOVAH WARRIOR. Let the killer Yaweh fight for himsef

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by Nobody: 9:38pm On Sep 27, 2016
Mercykayy:

I'm sorry but can't disclose that. i'm afraid she might be reading this and me mentioning her name might trigger what I'm afraid don't want to happen. I respect her privacy. I'm really sorry and thanks for your love.
Alright smiley I understand. What I will do is say "Mercykayy Sister" .. I know God knows her name even without mentioning it..
Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by kevoh(m): 10:07pm On Sep 27, 2016
How come it is the atheists that are doing a very good job preventing making the OP to not take the plunge into atheism just yet?

2 Likes

Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by hopefulLandlord: 10:33pm On Sep 27, 2016
kevoh:
How come it is the atheists that are doing a very good job preventing making the OP to not take the plunge into atheism just yet?

I personally want atheists that become one due to lack of evidence for the existence of gods

not someone who become one due to disappointments

this is a good step though, it'll make OP start asking questions and then become atheist
Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by lilmax(m): 10:43pm On Sep 27, 2016
confused child
Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by Nobody: 12:18am On Sep 28, 2016
lilmax:
confused child
oya night have come go and sleep
Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by HCpaul(m): 12:20am On Sep 28, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

I personally want atheists that become one due to lack of evidence for the existence of gods

not someone who become one due to disappointments

this is a good step though, it'll make OP start asking questions and then become atheist

Exactly! Cuz when I became one myself, I wasn't disappointed but do have natural antipathy towards the existence of a god(s).

It is always not recommended to become an atheist because of disappointment because at one point or the other, the same scenario may still be experienced in atheism and that is where the misconception of what atheism represent emerge.

Disappointment is a natural event that doesn't rely on belief nor disbelief to activate its effectiveness and operations. Everyone can be disappointed irrespective of our beliefs, disbeliefs or even our religious views.

On my own path, implicitly doubting the existence of god(s) was what actually motioned me into atheism.

Nevertheless, the op has been redefined and hence fit to be qualified and beckoned into atheism which is neither a pattern of life nor a belief system. It is not a way of life but just a mind that doesn't give reference to the existence of a god or any other deities and as well not attributing him as a source for either the unknown or the origin of the existence of the universe.

Rule your world as you take personal responsibility for the consequence of your own actions instead of attributing them to have been the spiritual work of mythical aliens.
Re: I Think I Am Slowly Becoming An Atheist. by otemanuduno: 2:53am On Sep 28, 2016
Mercykayy:

Disbelieving in Christianity or any religion is a process of brain development. The truth is here for you to see:

https://www.nairaland.com/2938907/doctrine-ufos

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

God Did Not Create Good And Evil / WORLDLY Music Vs GOSPEL Music / Five Nigerian Pastors Make The List Of Top 10 Richest Pastors In The World (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.