Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side (2222 Views)

Social Media Marriage, How Advisable Is It? / My Girlfriend Is Marrying Someone Else / Marrying From Tiv: Check Their Marriage Requirements. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by BetterHalf: 11:23am On Sep 27, 2016
Hello

I have a little situation that I will like to sample your opinion on.
How advisable or practicable is MARRYING someone from a different religion i.e a Muslim marrying a Christian?
Seeing that marriage is not just only about the husband and wife, how do the families react to this situation?
Does it work? How is the union managed?
Matured and experienced views are most desirable here because this is an important life issue.

Thank you.
Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by DirtyGold: 11:45am On Sep 27, 2016
Certianly not the best situation to be in. Let me wait to read from wise me like timbuktou, tv01, lalasticlala and them boys grin

What's tha business?

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by Nobody: 11:53am On Sep 27, 2016
Not too advisable, you both will obviously bring diverse and conflicting religious beliefs to the table.

Can only marry a christian.

3 Likes

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by Laveda(f): 11:53am On Sep 27, 2016
Not been there, can't say.

Alaga1

2 Likes

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by Synzu(m): 12:07pm On Sep 27, 2016
2nd Corinthians 6:14.

4 Likes

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by primy(f): 12:10pm On Sep 27, 2016
it's not advisable, the marriage is bound to be filled with choas due to the religion difference..... and how will the children brought up look like? which religion will they belong to?...... I don't really think it's a wise decision.

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by ALAGA1: 1:17pm On Sep 27, 2016
Laveda:
Not been there, can't say.

Alag.a1

Lol..Not everyone follows their religion to an extreme degree, which is very smart and good...

The question should be, "Why are christians of different denomination not getting married?" grin

Can you marry a Presbyterian? Can you marry a Jehovah Witness? grin

It's so shocking to hear christians say =»"personally I wouldn't marry someone of a different denomination, because when you really start thinking about it, in most cases, your beliefs are going to be somewhat (sometimes even drastically) different.."

Funny Religion..

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by BetterHalf: 1:31pm On Sep 27, 2016
Sometimes, I wonder if religion is a good thing... the situation seems worse with Christianity as you've pointed out.
This dilemma in my view, is because all religion claim to be the "good one" while any other is "the opposite" which is a shame, really.
But my questions is still more about inter-faith marriages and the real-life challenges and the consequent realities it poses.

ALAGA1:

Lol..Not everyone follows their religion to an extreme degree, which is very smart and good...

The question should be, "Why are christians of different denomination not getting married?" grin

It's so shocking to hear christians say =»"personally I wouldn't marry someone of a different denomination, because when you really start thinking about it, in most cases, your beliefs are going to be somewhat (sometimes even drastically) different.."

Funny Religion..
Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by ALAGA1: 1:45pm On Sep 27, 2016
BetterHalf:
Sometimes, I wonder if religion is a good thing... the situation seems worse with Christianity as you've pointed out.
This dilemma in my view, is because all religion claim to be the "good one" while any other is "the opposite" which is a shame, really.
But my questions is still more about inter-faith marriages and the real-life challenges and the consequent realities it poses.

Religion has not done any harm...But people do harm under the name of religion..

Anything that can be used for good can be abused for evil..One of the consistent perversities of human nature is to find ways to corrupt just about anything and make it destructive..

I am not a Christian so I am not really concerned about the religious technicalities but the social and inter religious issues that will surface. There are two people, two families and extended families. It will be a big issue if not now but later on.

It is hard enough for a couple to remain married without religious traditions/rituals/beliefs etc. Then there are the children's faith..Who will they follow?

So it depends on the degree of religiosity on both sides that will confound and upset the union. Family members will interfere with your decisions if they are more traditional or fundamentalist.

Trust me, growing up with a muslim dad and a Christian mum is not a funny experience..

I can relate well to it..

2 Likes

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by BetterHalf: 1:48pm On Sep 27, 2016
herbie27:
Not too advisable, you both will obviously bring diverse and conflicting religious beliefs to the table.
Can only marry a christian.
What if you find a real classic man, a man made from the stuffs of your dreams but is not a christian? smiley

Synzu:
2nd Corinthians 6:14.
That quote is about idolatry. Muslims believe in God same as Christians.....

primy:
it's not advisable, the marriage is bound to be filled with choas due to the religion difference..... and how will the children brought up look like? which religion will they belong to?...... I don't really think it's a wise decision.
Chaos is kinda manageable but I'm more concerned about raising the children.... hmmmm

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by BetterHalf: 2:06pm On Sep 27, 2016
Wow, you've got first hand experience on the matter, I respect that.
My bit about religion is the inherent condition of sticking with people of your own faith. Like the bible quote above, I've listened to pastors preach it to ridiculous extents in the line of; light vs darkness, heaven-bound vs hell-bound etc religion does not really help "unity" in this sense.

ALAGA1:

Religion has not done any harm...But people do harm under the name of religion..

Anything that can be used for good can be abused for evil..One of the consistent perversities of human nature is to find ways to corrupt just about anything and make it destructive..

I am not a Christian so I am not really concerned about the religious technicalities but the social and inter religious issues that will surface. There are two people, two families and extended families. It will be a big issue if not now but later on.

It is hard enough for a couple to remain married without religious traditions/rituals/beliefs etc. Then there are the children's faith..Who will they follow?

So it depends on the degree of religiosity on both sides that will confound and upset the union. Family members will interfere with your decisions if they are more traditional or fundamentalist.

Trust me, growing up with a muslim dad and a Christian mum is not a funny experience..

I can relate well to it..

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by queencalipso(f): 2:20pm On Sep 27, 2016
BetterHalf:
Wow, you've got first hand experience on the matter, I respect that.
My bit about religion is the inherent condition of sticking with people of your own faith. Like the bible quote above, I've listened to pastors preach it to ridiculous extents in the line of; light vs darkness, heaven-bound vs hell-bound etc religion does not really help "unity" in this sense.

You sound more like your mind has been made up, you only looking for people to agree with you.

My dear! Do what ever pleases you but don't think about your self alone, think about latter and the kids.

4 Likes

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by Synzu(m): 2:45pm On Sep 27, 2016
I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to cancel this...

BetterHalf:

That quote is about idolatry. [s]Muslims believe in God same as Christians.....[/s]

You are terribly wrong. Muslims do not believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ.

At the risk of appearing extremist, I'll also have you know that I am NOT a conservative christian. I'm only stating crystal facts according to your initial post and upon the basis of assumption that you yourself are "christian".

2 Likes

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by ummeey: 4:08pm On Sep 27, 2016
Synzu:

At the risk of appearing extremist, I'll also have you know that I am NOT a conservative christian. I'm only stating crystal facts according to your initial post and upon the basis of assumption that you yourself are "christian".
Muslims believe in Jesus Christ, his second coming etc

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by BetterHalf: 5:33pm On Sep 27, 2016
queencalipso:

You sound more like your mind has been made up, you only looking for people to agree with you.
My dear! Do what ever pleases you but don't think about your self alone, think about latter and the kids.
Sorry dear, I've not got my mind made up about this issue hence this thread.
It is easy to assume and imagine scenarios of tranquil and how you will do this and do that but, that changes significantly in real life.
That is why I am seeking the views of others who might have experience and can advice on this.
thanks
Synzu:
Are you saying that believing in God is less important than believing in Jesus?
Issues like these are what this thread would bring out. By thinking about it, you might be exposed to learn a thing or two about others.
As ummeey posted above, Muslims do actually believe in the holiness of Jesus as sent by God but Muslims do not believe in Him as the Son of God

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by Laveda(f): 6:40pm On Sep 27, 2016
ALAGA1:

Funny Religion..
Really, that's one thing about christianity I don't understand.
Divided within itself.

sad

3 Likes

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by ALAGA1: 6:57pm On Sep 27, 2016
Laveda:

Really, that's one thing about christianity I don't understand.
Divided within itself.

sad

Honestly, It is confusing beyond comprehension

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by Mediapace: 9:17pm On Sep 27, 2016
Brother pls don't choke smelling mouth for everything pls undecided

Christian isn't divided like you people think,we are just experiencing hardship from unbelievers majorly the so called atheists creating new denominations just to turn the reli.geon upside down.

Any reasonable christian knows Jehovah witness isn't a church,they are just bunch of hungry preachers pls.They don't even attend service on sundays or saturdays which is against our Holy Bible,we have couple of christians marrying from different denominations so far they both believe in the existence of JESUS CHRIST so what else do you want again undecided
ALAGA1:

Funny Religion..
And please what's the meaning of funny religeon?
Are we acting nollywood or bollywood there?

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by Synzu(m): 9:48pm On Sep 27, 2016
BetterHalf:
If you're gonna quote me, kindly do so singularly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by Synzu(m): 9:52pm On Sep 27, 2016
ummeey:
Muslims believe in Jesus Christ, his second coming etc

Do you accept Christ as your Lord and personal saviour?

Because acknowledging his presence without accepting his divinity will not fly on the last day.

4 Likes

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by DissTroy(m): 10:08pm On Sep 27, 2016
ALAGA1:

Funny Religion..

Since we are pointing fingers, why do Sunni muslims hate Shia Muslims? Why do they treat them like lesser beings?

Why do Sunnis rejoice when Shias are being maltreated or killed?

Sunni Muslims justified the attack by the Army on Shias in December in Nigeria?

Iran hates Saudi Arabia 'cause of denominational differences.

Christians might have differences but they don't kill each other or justify reasons to cause harm on themselves.

An attack on one Christian is felt by Christendom.

Why do you Muslims have different days for your religious celebrations; Sallah for example? One day for Yorubas, the other for Hausas. Need I go on? smiley

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by ALAGA1: 6:04am On Sep 28, 2016
DissTroy:

Since we are pointing fingers, why do Sunni muslims hate Shia Muslims? Why do they treat them like lesser beings?

Why do Sunnis rejoice when Shias are being maltreated or killed?

Sunni Muslims justified the attack by the Army on Shias in December in Nigeria?

Iran hates Saudi Arabia 'cause of denominational differences.

Christians might have differences but they don't kill each other or justify reasons to cause harm on themselves.

An attack on one Christian is felt by Christendom.

Why do you Muslims have different days for your religious celebrations; Sallah for example? One day for Yorubas, the other for Hausas. Need I go on? smiley

Lol...I was born into a Sunni Muslim family. Never once in my life did I have any feeling of hatred or animosity toward any Shia Muslim for any reason..

The issue with Saudi Arabia and Iran go in two directions: religious and political..The question should be, "Why does Iran Hates the rest of the world.."

Well Christians have been killing each other since thousands of years, they killed each other in Britain when British kings declared independence from Roman Catholic religion and came up with new religion or denomination known as Protestant.

And Ireland civil war between Catholic and Protestant, and Bosnia Serbia Kosovo and when crusader robbed and killed their fellow Christians brutally in Mediterranean countries..The WW 2 was fought by muslims right?

We celebrate Eid El Kabir on different days because Muslims are supposed to go by the sighting of the moon and different people in different places see the moon on different days.
We are NOT supposed to all copy what Saudi Arabia or what other countries does..

Thanks bruh..

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by BetterHalf: 6:12am On Sep 28, 2016
Noted.
Synzu:

If you're gonna quote me, kindly do so singularly.
Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by ALAGA1: 6:53am On Sep 28, 2016
Mediapace:
Brother pls don't choke smelling mouth for everything pls undecided

Christian isn't divided like you people think,we are just experiencing hardship from unbelievers majorly the so called atheists creating new denominations just to turn the reli.geon upside down.

Any reasonable christian knows Jehovah witness isn't a church,they are just bunch of hungry preachers pls.They don't even attend service on sundays or saturdays which is against our Holy Bible,we have couple of christians marrying from different denominations so far they both believe in the existence of JESUS CHRIST so what else do you want again undecided
And please what's the meaning of funny religeon?
Are we acting nollywood or bollywood there?

Are you trying to tell me that Atheists are the reason why some Christians viewed homosexuality Okay when it is an abomination to the Lord?..
And also why Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe Jesus was God (John 1:1) and they are the last 144,000 mentioned in Scripture..?
Tell me bro, atheists are the reason why Mormons believe they are the lost tribe of Israel?..

About the Jehovah witnesses, that would' ve been a good response, if only you provided solid evidence to your claims.

It is funny because I wonder, how is the Bible so misinterpreted different from so many scholars and people?

Been a while bruh....Where have you been?

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by bolabolabo: 6:54am On Sep 28, 2016
to start with, I am a product of such marriage. I got to understand the similarities in the two religions.

My dad was the Muslim, my mum the Christian.

While I was in junior secondary school, I was a muslim but was doing CRK. I prayed 5times daily, I go for MSS meeting and still did CRK. FYI, I attended a government boarding school.

Also, it broaden your knowledge about religion.

As I speak with u, I am a confirm christian. tho my middle name will forever be a muslim name

Marrying from the other religion is a adventure to me. it allow u guys see what others dont see.

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by Mediapace: 7:02am On Sep 28, 2016
Pls we have no denomination that think homosexuality is OK ,NO PLS! Not even jehovah witness.
No one practice that in christianity in this country undecided except if another form of Mad men and women woke up to create a new denomination yesterday

Anyform of denomination that doesn't believe in the existence of christ doesn't have anything to do with christ ian
ALAGA1:

Are you trying to tell me that Atheists are the reason why some Christians viewed homosexuality Okay when it is an abomination to the Lord?..
And also why Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe Jesus was God (John 1:1) and they are the last 144,000 mentioned in Scripture..?
Tell me bro, atheists are the reason why Mormons believe they are the lost tribe of Israel?..

About the Jehovah witnesses, that would' ve been a good response, if only you provided solid evidence to your claims.

It is funny because I wonder, how is the Bible so misinterpreted different from so many scholars and people?

Been a while bruh....Where have you been?
Probably because you lived in the barrack where they don't have christlike churches there,they will just build one yeye church and that's all

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by ALAGA1: 7:35am On Sep 28, 2016
Mediapace:
Pls we have no denomination that think homosexuality is OK ,NO PLS! Not even jehovah witness.
No one practice that in christianity in this country undecided except if another form of Mad men and women woke up to create a new denomination yesterday

Anyform of denomination that doesn't believe in the existence of christ doesn't have anything to do with christ ian
[s]Probably because you lived in the barrack[/s] where they don't have christlike churches there,they will just build one yeye church and that's all

Please for the sake of next time, don't bring this up in any argument..

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by BetterHalf: 10:14am On Sep 28, 2016
Thanks for your insight. Please, how was home like growing up?
Were all your siblings brought up as Muslims or was it optional?
bolabolabo:
to start with, I am a product of such marriage. I got to understand the similarities in the two religions.

My dad was the Muslim, my mum the Christian.

While I was in junior secondary school, I was a muslim but was doing CRK. I prayed 5times daily, I go for MSS meeting and still did CRK. FYI, I attended a government boarding school.

Also, it broaden your knowledge about religion.

As I speak with u, I am a confirm christian. tho my middle name will forever be a muslim name

Marrying from the other religion is a adventure to me. it allow u guys see what others dont see.
Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 11:02am On Sep 28, 2016
It depends on the individuals but it really isn't advisable. Tolerance would be pushed to its limit and toes would eventually be stepped on.

BTW, it is 'Mature'.

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by bolabolabo: 1:50pm On Sep 28, 2016
BetterHalf:
Thanks for your insight. Please, how was home like growing up?
Were all your siblings brought up as Muslims or was it optional?

it was optional.

I used to go to church with my mum on sundays and some times during the week and I go to arabic lesson every other day....

my dad had no issue with that....

That way, I had the right and knowledge to choose which religion I want...

As I am, I can quote a lot of surahs so also can I quote bible passages.

I see it as a blessing to be a product or inter religious marriage

1 Like

Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by BetterHalf: 6:05pm On Sep 28, 2016
Okay. Thank you
OluwabuqqyYOLO:
It depends on the individuals but it really isn't advisable. Tolerance would be pushed to its limit and toes would eventually be stepped on.

BTW, it is 'Mature'.
Re: How Advisable Is Marrying From The Other Side by BetterHalf: 6:08pm On Sep 28, 2016
I'm happy that it seems that it worked out well for your family. It is good
bolabolabo:

it was optional.

I used to go to church with my mum on sundays and some times during the week and I go to arabic lesson every other day....

my dad had no issue with that....

That way, I had the right and knowledge to choose which religion I want...

As I am, I can quote a lot of surahs so also can I quote bible passages.

I see it as a blessing to be a product or inter religious marriage

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What A Husband Did To His Wife / What Do Men Worship The Most ? Check. Lalasticlala Frontpage / Funny Question. (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.