Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,890 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. (4347 Views)

Boko Haram Latest Attack, The Bloodiest In 2017 – Amnesty International / Violent Protests Still Ongoing In Akure And Ondo Townships(pics) / Violent Protests Erupt In Edo, As Ize-iyamu Rejects Election Results (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. by babyfaceafrica: 8:28am On Sep 28, 2016
Danhumprey:
in any protest, revolution, lives will be lost. That should be expected. It doesn't matter if the protest was planned well or otherwise, one thing you can't discount is that lives will be lost or people injured.

Go through the history of protest and see for yourself, despite how well planned it might have been, atleast a life was lost.

And most times, when a life is lost, it tends to propel the protesters onward till they achieve their aim.
life is precious and death can be minimalized,if protesters use better tactics
Re: Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:29am On Sep 28, 2016
No June 12 riot?
This list is hereby declared inconclusive.
That should be the first on this goddamned list.
Re: Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. by Danhumprey: 8:36am On Sep 28, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
life is precious and death can be minimalized,if protesters use better tactics
better tactics like? Haven't you heard of 'peaceful protest' turning violent due to maybe over-excitement on the part of protesters or the over-zealousness/high-handedness/ruthlessness/wickedness of the security agencies deployed by the government to squell the protest and silence the protesters?

You can't discount the fact that lives will be lost.
Re: Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. by Danhumprey: 8:44am On Sep 28, 2016
LynnPetra:
Most of the rioters are students who fought for sound education. Died for what they believed in and reshape their country's policies on matters that affects them. In Nigeria, what do we have? Students who rape other students, politicians who fiyck other students and government who turn blind eyes to injustices melted out on students.

COWARDS!

Nnamdi kanu should spend more agonising time in jail for calling Nigeria a "Zoo".He sugar coated his tongue before saying that.
lynnpetra?! shocked

I thought you of all people will be actively in support of Nnamdi Kanu and Biafra? Or am I reading double? shocked
Re: Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. by Danhumprey: 8:48am On Sep 28, 2016
What we have here in Nigeria are lily-livered people, who seem content with the way things are. The idea of protest and revolution are just empty barrels and threats.

The day a real protest/revolution is staged in this country, that will mark the day we begin our March to greatness.

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. by Nobody: 8:49am On Sep 28, 2016
armadeo:

It took the cia and mossad a lot to cover up your fight again at injustice.

The I.g then said it's a lie that only 4 pots of rice were missing and 2 Windows broken.

Aluta continua
lol
Re: Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. by SlayerSupreme: 9:08am On Sep 28, 2016
Nice thread. I love the French protest against outdated educational system and poor working conditions. In any context,once students become involved it becomes very very dicey and volatile. Students protest for Biafra?! Hmmmm....
Re: Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. by Explorers(m): 9:41am On Sep 28, 2016
5. Tiananmen Square Protests, China, 1989.

The Tiananmen Square Massacre is one of the most well-known and iconic student protests in history.

On April 21, 1989, as many as 100,000 Chinese students poured into Tiananmen Square. And when an April 26 government editorial denounced their protests as “rioting,” students demanded that the editorial be retracted.

Students insisted their protests were patriotic and were afraid that the term “rioting” would result in government repercussions. Next, students organized hunger strikes and soon won the sympathy and support of thousands of students from the provinces, as well as other citizen groups.

And at the peak of the gatherings, 500,000 protestors gathered in the square. Meanwhile, the government leaders were in turmoil. They believed that to back down would be “a fatal show of weakness.”

Seven weeks later, matters were getting desperate, martial law was instated and the People’s Liberation Army was ordered to clear the square.

On June 3, 1989, the 27th and 38th divisions of the PLA (brought in from the surrounding provinces) moved in and fired tear gas to break up the crowds. Troops were told not to shoot at the demonstrators, and most of them didn’t even carry guns.

The protestors, however, dug in and set up barricades. They threw rocks and, according to one source, “burned tank crews inside their tanks.” That night, the army returned, this time fully armed, shooting live weapons and famously crushing civilians under their tank treads. Fatality estimates range from the hundreds to the thousands.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/06/01/asia-pacific/politics-diplomacy-asia-pacific/look-tiananmen-massacre-aftermath/#.V-uBj12Y2o8

1 Share

Re: Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. by Explorers(m): 9:55am On Sep 28, 2016
6. Athens Polytechnic Uprising, Greece, 1973.

When their strike on November 14, 1973 elicited no response, students from Athens Polytechnic barricaded themselves inside the university, they built a radio station using supplies from a laboratory.

They broadcast across Athens, urging the people of Greece to join them in their stand against the military junta and dictatorship.

Thousands answered the call, gathering inside and around the university, in open counter-government revolt.
In the morning of November 17, about 25 tanks rolled onto the streets and set themselves up in front of the University.

Students requested permission to evacuate, but before the allotted time was up, one of the tanks crashed right through the front gates. Others tried to flee but were taken out by nervous military snipers on the rooftops.

The death toll came to at least 24, with hundreds more suffering injuries, and as many as 1,000 people were arrested.

Within a year, the military junta had toppled and Greece celebrated free elections.

1 Share

Re: Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. by project8(m): 10:20am On Sep 28, 2016
Kockane:
This Post reminds me of when I led the most violent student demonstration back in my secondary school, May 2005. I single handedly broke 17 windows and embezzled 14 pots of jollof rice from the school kitchen. In saner climes, this would go down in history as one of the greatest examples of man's tenacity and grit in the face of oppression. Unfortunately, the Nigerian government has succeeded in covering it up as if it never happened. angry
oriyeyi
Re: Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. by Funjosh(m): 11:00am On Sep 28, 2016
The Arab Uprising nko
Re: Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. by DabuIIIT: 12:31pm On Sep 28, 2016
sarrki:
Following
nobody mention ZB nah...na yok o.. grin nice one explorers

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. by Swizdom(m): 12:59pm On Sep 28, 2016
Kockane:
This Post reminds me of when I led the most violent student demonstration back in my secondary school, May 2005. I single handedly broke 17 windows and embezzled 14 pots of jollof rice from the school kitchen. In saner climes, this would go down in history as one of the greatest examples of man's tenacity and grit in the face of oppression. Unfortunately, the Nigerian government has succeeded in covering it up as if it never happened. angry

You did a great thing, very great. You should have really been celebrated. It's hard to find men with your kind of tenacity. You just needed to be celebrated on an altar, with 1000 strokes of the cane lashing for each pot you embezzled.

4 Likes

Re: Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. by Nobody: 1:07pm On Sep 28, 2016
Danhumprey:
lynnpetra?! shocked

I thought you of all people will be actively in support of Nnamdi Kanu and Biafra? Or am I reading double? shocked

I don't like Nnamdi Kanu.
If there's full resource control, I don't need Biafra.

Hi Danny smiley wink
Re: Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. by Danhumprey: 1:24pm On Sep 28, 2016
LynnPetra:

I don't like Nnamdi Kanu.
If there's full resource control, I don't need Biafra.

Hi Danny smiley wink
A bit surprised to see there are Igbos not on support of Biafra. We just have to ensure full resources control and an all inclusive government.

Crazy lynnpetra! grin
I thought you would have forgotten me by now. embarassed

Egovinma? Have you used that moniker before?

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. by braithwaite(m): 6:42pm On Sep 28, 2016

In Nigeria no such thing as bloody protests..because it's obvious you're dying to the deaf ears of f**king prejudicial government..

Explorers thumbs up..
Can I pm you?

Re: Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. by walemoney007(m): 7:37pm On Sep 28, 2016
What of osho abiola....the June 12 election that was cancelled led to one of the most bloody protest in the history of Nigeria
Re: Some Of The Bloodiest And Most Violent Protests/Riots In History. by DEIFIED(m): 8:44pm On Sep 28, 2016
We hardly see such kinds of riot these days.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Victory At Last For Yorubas In PDP / 'my Nigerian Great-grandfather Sold Slaves' / Senate President,david Mark,leads With Wide Margin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.