Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,520 members, 7,954,974 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:28 PM

Democracy - Government Of Mob Action And Our Collective Foolishness... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Democracy - Government Of Mob Action And Our Collective Foolishness... (320 Views)

Ali Modu Sheriff Escapes Mob Action In Maiduguri (Video, Photos) / Boss Mustapha: Profile Of The Secretary To Government Of The Federation (SGF) / BREAKING!!! More IPOB Terrorists Found With Pump Action And Petrol Bomb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Democracy - Government Of Mob Action And Our Collective Foolishness... by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 30, 2016
I will not write a lengthy piece this time...but I will clearly express my displeasure in an itemized manner, while I hope you understand me as clearly as I want you to.

1. From 1999 to 2007, PDP was the undisputed sweet bride of the Nigerian people. People danced, jumped and celebrated them as Messiahs and good leaders.

2. From 2007, a new order started emerging; made up of progressives and other conservatives whose interests were not satisfactorily served in the PDP. Then, our people got divided and started dancing after those ones too. Politicians didnt change...the nature of our people's minds didnt change...but interests realigned.

3. In 2015, the people sang the praise of APC....not for any clarity of manifesto or for any concrete assurance of service delivery, but because our people got tired of the PDP and wanted another party to come and try. Nothing changed in our heads...again, interests realigned.

4. One year down the line, some of those people who sang Hossanna after the APC are now crucifying the party and asking for another fresh air...again, nothing has changed...our insatiable interests and desires again, realigned!

5. Our people are on the streets hungry, tattered and frustrated....politicians are in jeeps, fat, well-fed and living large. Yet, a hungry okada man will fight another hungry okada man in defence of a politician in Jeep. A hungry man will fight someone who can feed him, in defence of a party he is incomprehensibly obssessed with. Yes...nothing changed in our heads...interests keep realigning.

It is this principle-less alignment and realignment of interests that made an Osun man fight another Osun man because of the election that took place in Edo...under which he has not direct benefit, save for the bragging right that his party won! He will shout in town and fight as many people as possible to exercise his bragging rights....but then, he will go back home to meet his empty pot of soup! He's got no life, no career....he just has power in a democracy that did not offer him the privilege of wisdom!

These clearly exhibited inconsistencies in our political support system shows the very flaw in democracy - IT VESTS SO MUCH POWER OF DECISION ON PEOPLE WHOSE ACTIONS ARE DICTATED BY EXISTING INTERESTS...MOST OFTEN, THEIR STOMACHS!

Democracy gives power to a hungry beggar to elect a President...so he'd sell his vote for the #3,000 he needs right away. The same democracy gives power to a confused people to choose their leaders...they will choose them today, and get tired of them tomorrow...WHY? Because the power democracy gives us to choose leaders, does not vest common sense in us to decide who is right and who is wrong....the power of our mob action, evidenced in the whirlwind nature of our voting decisions, makes us hire and fire at will...without a sensible recourse to true growth and development!

Edo people already decided their Governor.....but I am certain some of those who voted for the PDP are already shifting loyalty back to the APC as we speak...Do not blame them...democracy empowered them to vote for whoever they liked, but it did not give them sense to have principles and stick to them.

Nigeria will keep doing the mob action and we will keep guess-voting....until one day when we all get tired of our under-development and decide to pack our bags and go our separate ways!

Thanks for reading!

(1) (Reply)

Senator Dino Melaye Urges President Buhari To Declare 6 Months Amnesty Period Fo / Aircrafts Sale: Buhari Might Lead By Example ! / Despite The 'harsh Statement' Made By The National Leader, There Is No Rift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.