Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,564 members, 7,820,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office (3754 Views)

V.P Osinbajo Receives Chief Judge Of Nigeria & Chief Justices In State House(pix / Photos: Was V.P Osinbajo Scolding Gov. Ambode In This Photo? / Gov Suswam,terhemen Tarzoor Spotted With V.P Namadi Sambo In Gambia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by ladynoni(f): 6:03pm On Dec 23, 2006
The political emperor of Aso Rock, President Obasanjo has gone ahead to interpret the Nigerian Constitution by declaring vacant the office of thje vice president, Channels television just announced it now,
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by skipo87(m): 6:36pm On Dec 23, 2006
That would be the biggest political upset in obasanjos tenure. whom do u guys think would take up the post
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by ladynoni(f): 6:58pm On Dec 23, 2006
skipo87,

The natural 'heir' to the imperial majesty's throne is Umar Musa Yar'Adua, the presidential candidate of the PDP.
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by babyboy2(m): 10:36pm On Dec 23, 2006
shocked
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by skipo87(m): 11:34pm On Dec 23, 2006
grin grin Hier to a democratic post, yea right
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by joshO: 12:38am On Dec 24, 2006
I will support Atiku's removal by any means necessary, for the sake of my future as a Nigerian

Good ridance to bad rubbish!!
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by Mariory(m): 2:12am On Dec 24, 2006
So Atiku has fled to America?
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by alarinka(m): 6:10am On Dec 24, 2006
, THIS obj SHOULD STOP BEING VINDICTIVE, NOW he is USING ALL HIS destructive lifelines, because he is leaving very soon, 140 days time, Atiku himself is no better, greedy and power conscious, he should have just retired to his jada town in adamawa or to his posh house on Maryland[US] QUIETLY, the odds stacked against him are enormous, EFCC,code of conduct,PDP,
perhaps should we say congrats to jubril aminu or M.B Marwa,
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by Jakumo(m): 7:10am On Dec 24, 2006
Atiku is a thief and embezzler of gigantic scale who belongs behind bars. Good job, Obasanjo. Now deal the death blow and uncover all that disgusting man has been doing so that US law enforcement can indict and jail Atilku, if that is in fact where he fled.
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by mazaje(m): 5:34pm On Dec 24, 2006
Jakumo:

Atiku is a thief and embezzler of gigantic scale who belongs behind bars. Good job, Obasanjo. Now deal the death blow and uncover all that disgusting man has been doing so that US law enforcement can indict and jail Atilku, if that is in fact where he fled.

how sad, is OBJ a better man than atiku? they both deserve to be in jail stupid thieves, that stupid, old outdated, ugly, good for nothing nonsense that calls him self the president has finally shown that is a mad animal by declearing the seat of the vice president vacant, the old fool knows nothing about democracy ,his tired brain needs to go and relax behind bars where he belongs. stupid old amala rubbish, idoit fool.
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by Nobody: 5:44pm On Dec 24, 2006
@ Mazaje,

Read your constitution well before going to abuse the president! Atiku lost his constitutional right to the VP slot the day he declared under the auspices of the AC.

But of course in Nigeria, only the masses are expected to obey the law!
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by omofineboy(m): 6:54pm On Dec 24, 2006
@davidlan

I think you also need to read the constitution well, we should preach constitutionalism here, the Nigerian constitution does not give the President power to remove his Vice, only the National Assembly can, even he commits the most heinous crime, I hope you agree to that, also

@JoshO

You said you will support any means by which Atiku is removed, I want to believe you are in no way better than Obasanjo, no one says Atiku should not be removed, but follow due process and the constitution,no sentiments and it should not be personal,but to me the underlining factor is greed, corruption and malice, no one can say that OBJ has the interest of the country at heart by doing all these, otherwise he has his interest at heart anyway I hope OBJ I pray he succeeds in this nonsense so that he can also reapwhat he's sowing fully and with interests
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by joshO: 7:14pm On Dec 24, 2006
As a nation, we have been in troubled times for generations now. Addressing this requires that desperate methods be adopted. I consider the likes of Atiku, Ogbeh, IBB etc to be the clog in the well of our progress as a nation. The judiciary itself, which should otherwise be an arbitrar, is perhaps more currupt than the Nigerian police force.

What OBJ is doing may or may not be unconstitutional, but what concerns me now is that Atiku and his likes do not represent our future. OBJ is gone in 5 months. That I am satisfied with.

In time to come, we will come to thank OBJ for sparing us from these prolific plunderers!!!
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by mazaje(m): 10:07pm On Dec 24, 2006
when the going was good btwn OBJ and his men (Ogbeh, Lar, Atiku.,Gemade,Rimi ,IBB and all those guys out there) they werent prolific plunderers now that the going is bad they are. lol no sentiments should be attached here when govenor saminu turaki and all is cabinet in jigawa state decamped from the ANPP to the PDP what happned? did they declear thier seats vacant? No they didnt so why should they declear they sit of the VP vacant because he seems to have shown the whole world that the stupid old nonsense baboon is more currupt than him?

what is going on here how many senators have decamped from other parties to the PDD? so many, and did they lose their seats? no . why is it that its when the opposition that leaves the PDP to any party that their seats are always decleared vacant? na wahh ohhh , this jungle maddnes needs to end, that amala politician needs to rot in jail cos he is no better than all these men he is trying to show are evil. not in support of atiku but OBJ is not a better man at all he is more currupt and more evil than atiku, because they have fallen out does not mean he has the right to do what ever he can , there are laid out procedures and he knows it why not follow them cos he knows he will never win stupid old useless bastard.
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by BigB11(m): 4:44pm On Dec 25, 2006
Shame on you, if you support OBJ's unlawful action.

Be smart and understand that this is OBJ's personal project; this is not for the sake of Nigeria or Nigerians. If 3rd term process was successfully implemented, none of this rubbish would be taking place.

It is clear that OBJ is not in a position to point out the sinner, as we all know he's worst.
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by mazaje(m): 5:51pm On Dec 25, 2006
Here is an article i came across written by a lawyer on the breach of constiutution the amala politician called OBJ is doing, he has no right or capability to declare the seat of the vice president vacant cos the constitution has made it clear that its beyond him to do so, infact he is supposed to be impeached for doing that cos the act is an act of coup deta and its totally undemocratic.

The leadership of People Democratic Party (PDP) expelled Alhaji Atiku Abubakar from the party following the adoption of the Vice President by Action Congress (AC) as their Presidential flag-bearer.

Atiku was elected to power alongside Obasanjo in 1999 and 2003 on the platform of the PDP in line with Section 142(1),

“In any election to which the foregoing provisions of this Part of this Chapter relate, a candidate for an election to the office of President shall not be deemed to be validly nominated unless he nominates another candidate as his associate from the same political party for his running for the office of President, who is to occupy the office of Vice-President…”

but he declared for the Action Congress (AC) after so much battle with the leadership of PDP and after wining the court case against his suspension by the party which the party still refused to recognise. He emerged the presidential candidate for Action Congress (AC) with nine other political parties giving him their support for 2007 polls after a three-month suspension.

However, the decision of the leadership of PDP leadership to replace the Vice President as caused shock-waves across the country political arena as many constitutional lawyers and prominent political analyst await the legal showdown that will emerge from this saga.

The President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Mr Olisa Agbakoba, was reported by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) as warning PDP against the replacement of Vice-President Atiku Abubakar because it would create a constitutional crisis in the country.

Whilst, the PDP grounds for expelling the Vice President after picking the Action Congress (AC) is understandable because he is no longer technically a member of PDP. The idea of removing him from the Office of the Vice President cannot be excused by the law. The full text of Section 142 (1) reads:

“In any election to which the foregoing provisions of this Part of this Chapter relate, a candidate for an election to the office of President shall not be deemed to be validly nominated unless he nominates another candidate as his associate from the same political party for his running for the office of President, who is to occupy the office of Vice-President and that candidate shall be deemed to have been duly elected to the office of Vice-President if the candidate for an election to the office of President who nominated him as such associate is duly elected as President in accordance with the provisions aforesaid”

The latter part of this section stated that the Vice President “shall be deemed to have been duly elected to the office of Vice-President if the candidate for an election to the office of President who nominated him as such associated…” Any reasonable person can infer from the statement that the Vice President role will be validated by the Presidential victory but no longer restricted by the same political party principle. If membership of the same political party remains the criteria for holding the post, the law would have rightly identified this in Section 143 and 144 of the 1999 Constitution and it is important to note that both the office of the President and Vice-President are answerable to the people through the House of Assembly not to political parties.

The constitution is crystal clear that the Vice-President could only be removed from office by death, impeachment, resignation or on medical grounds, thus the PDP's request did not fall within the remit of the four conditions outline in the legislative provision.

There have been talks about the use of section 109 (g) of the 1999 constitution which states that:

“(g) being a person whose election to the House of Assembly was sponsored by a political party, he becomes a member of another political party before the expiration of the period for which that House was elected:

Provided that his membership of the latter political party is not as a result of a division in the political party of which he was previously a member or of a merger of two or more political parties or factions by one of which he was previously sponsored; or… “

This section above is not relevant in the case of the Vice President because he is not a member of the House of National Assembly, thus the law can not be inferred to suggest that it is relevant to the case. However, the only possible way to remove the Vice President is impeachment by the National Assembly or for him to resign voluntarily.

However, the ongoing political correctness in Nigeria which is interfering with every aspect of the political spectrum such as the obvious EFCC investigation of specific individuals, the re-engineering or master-minding of support for anointed PDP Presidential candidate and the political conflict between the President and the Vice President, will destroy the value of that office of the Presidency.

It is strange that the President has never being questioned on the subject of section 148 (2) which place a duty on the President to meet regularly with the Vice President on matters relating to the nations up-keeping. The duty is not discretionary but mandatory because the word used is “Shall” instead of “May”.

The battle line is now drawn and it is my political prophecy that this latest political correctness or madness whatever you prefer to call it, is only weakening the fibre of our young democracy and I am now calling on all true political elders and religious leaders in Nigeria to stand up and call some of our political leaders to order.
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by BigB11(m): 6:09pm On Dec 25, 2006
From a Nigerian newspaper

Obasanjo on sack of his deputy may lead Nigeria into a lot of chaos. The Constitution is clear.”
"Nobody can sack the Vice-President. I wonder if they distinguish between party and the President. The party has no role in this matter, and it is impossible for the President to sack a deputy.
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by Abdblues(m): 6:11pm On Dec 25, 2006
I really wish that things will be done in this country with respect to the law!BUT on this Atiku issue, i support him being removed/dealt with whatever way or format possible. he is a big thief!!Obasanjo may be on his way out too but my steadfast prayer is that he will meet his waterloo in the nt-too-distant future!!We are just tired of all these Agbada and barariga idoits that we have as polititians
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by BigB11(m): 6:32pm On Dec 25, 2006
Unbelievable.

OBJ is turning Nigerian government's day to day activities into OTA farm operation.

It is a shame that Mr president doesn't understand a simple rule  "obey the constitution of Nigeria" He's turning the constitution of our country into a personal property that could be adjusted and modified as he wishes.
This is a terrible example from the president; he doesn't care about our lovely country or the people of Nigeria.

It's less than 145 days left, Mr president needs to sit in his corner and stop destroying our country with his impulsive vindictive and  unprofessional behavior.

It is time for the sycophant, for once in their lives to rise up and stop this coward dirty bully.

Enough is enough, Nigeria belongs to the Nigerians, not OBJ.
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by otokx(m): 6:51pm On Dec 25, 2006
The rule of law is no respecter of persons and only the house of assembly should be allowed to have the final say on ATIKU. Lets not bring other issues into the picture.
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by nuru(m): 6:53pm On Dec 25, 2006
Its a shame that OBJ can allow bad belle to lead himself astray. He has no constitutional power to make  declaration on the status of his Deputy. Period.
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by joshO: 7:26pm On Dec 25, 2006
OBJ was certainly a beneficiary of the fraud that is Nigeria, but I commend him for turning on his former benefactors. Constitution or not,  Atiku and IBB should be hung out to dry - by the balls.  Both can only offer more of the same shenanigans, , waste, patronage and deceit.

Sooner or later, we'll all be thankful to OBJ and his administration for taking them out of the equation.
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by DeepSoul(f): 7:36pm On Dec 25, 2006
Obj has no respect for the constitution. Surely that isnt news!

@Big B1
Point of correction! If 3rd term process was successfully implemented, more of this rubbish would be taking place!

I have this strong feeling that the judge (OBJ) shall be judged someday (On earth!) He'd beta enjoy his "powers" 2 d maximum b4 that time comes!
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by babasin(m): 12:20am On Dec 26, 2006
joshO
Sooner or later, we'll all be thankful to OBJ and his administration for taking them out of the equation.

At least, we are thanking Abacha: During his time, it was N93 to $1 but during OBJ it has grown as N130 to $1.

Abacha killed about 150people but OBJ wiped-out ODI village about 2000people

Abacha sacked BA for impouding our plane, OBJ gave Bakkasi(full of OIL) to Britain, US & France. Already, the wise British/US are planing to pipe crude-oil from Libay through Bakkkasi as Gulf of Guinea is much peaceful.
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by Afam(m): 9:24am On Dec 26, 2006
The VP should have resigned before becoming a presidential flag bearer of a rival party, it is not done anywhere in the world, at least to the best of my knowledge.

If the constitution did not expressly cover this unique area then it shows that our law makers indeed do have a lot of work to do so as to block all the loopholes that some of our leaders have been taking advantage of to do whatever they liked.

If our law makers had demonstrated a certain level of intelligence in throwing away the 3 term part of the bill that contained over 100 amendments, issues like what constitutes a 2/3 majority and this particular case would have been fine tuned and our constitution made better rather than the situtation we have today where even lawyers waste air time and give very diverse and dangerous interpretations to the same constitution.

Maybe the PDP was underestimated this time, I believe the PDP is in order in asking for the post of the VP to be declared vacant, same with Abia state and ofcourse, the breeze has blown to Lagos state where the AD is asking for the same thing since the governor had abandoned the party a long time ago.
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by bolaoni(m): 9:51am On Dec 26, 2006
my question: y didn't PDP ask those that crossd frm other partis 2 vacate their sit b4? HYPOCRITES!
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by Afam(m): 9:55am On Dec 26, 2006
It is not the duty of PDP to ask people that cross carpeted to vacate their seats, it is the duty of the parties that were abandoned to do so.

This is common sense and crystal clear. Every party tries to protect its interests not the interests of its rivals.

Maybe understanding the issues would have been better before calling people hypocrites as you may be the one lacking in understanding.
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by bolaoni(m): 9:56am On Dec 26, 2006
Nigeria is full of deceptions. y tackle Atiku whn u are also gainin 4rm other's labour? NONESENSE!
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by joshO: 10:07am On Dec 26, 2006
Even before Atiku crossed parties, if he had any decency in him, he should have resigned. His antagonism towards his boss, his party and the same goverment where he holds sway has made his position untenable. 

No matter what his grouse was, it was his responsibility to make up with his boss and party amicably, not by the force and deceit as he has been doing.  Basically, it had to be OBJ's way or the highway, and I agree with that. The constitution makes it clear what the role / relationship of the VP / President was.

The problem with Atiku is that he believes the presidency is suddenly his birthright. This is where his problem lies. Members of the NEC and FEC believe that Nigeria deserves better than Atiku. I do too.

I still hold that OBJ has done a great deal for this country and I'm not convinced that Atiku has the character to produce anything near.
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by mazaje(m): 4:21pm On Dec 26, 2006
joshO:

I still hold that OBJ has done a great deal for this country and I'm not convinced that Atiku has the character to produce anything near.

Great deal indeed, u sit in london and open ur mouth and say OBJ has done a great deal for this nation na wah ohhh, what great deed has he done? he swore to uphold the constitution of the federal republic and he hasnt and u are saying he has done a great deal, he simply cant uphold the constitution. is nigeria's leadership OBJ's birth right? we all know why the fell out of favour with each other, it was basically on the issue of tenure elongation that made the president and his vice fall out with each other.

I repeat OBJ is not a better person than atiku in any way he has no right to point who the sinner is cos he is a devil. nigeria has witnessed 7 years of backwardness and retrogression under his puporsless leadership, instead of accepting his failure as a president he is trying to divert attention to other meaningless things, he only can fool him self.
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by omofineboy(m): 4:37pm On Dec 26, 2006
@JoshO

Its only people like you that will come and thank a dictator like OBJ yeah he has done a great deal in the negative, he has many to his credit. I have written so many times that OBJ is more devilish than Atiku, someone who professes to be a saint and you discovered hes a devil how do you call such a man? Let see what the future holds for him.
Re: Obj Removes V.p Atiku From Office by tochikc: 5:38pm On Dec 26, 2006
OBJ is the joker of the Year. if he thinks he is the
Boss as he is claiming why not remove Atiku through IMPEACHMENT.
He doesn't because he knows too well that he can gor up to 1/3 of the house member to impeach Atiku.
Atiku is a potlitician the PTDF we all know, Obj has the lion share of the loot. the evindence is presented to SENATE committee during the public hearing.
no matter what Obj did he can succeed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Achievements On 7-point Agenda- Yar’adua / Fashola Ask President Goodluck Important Questions / How Will Jonathan Win 2015 Election Going By The 2011 Result...i Pray Ooo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.