Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,083 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:27 AM

Nothing To Celebrate!! Did We Gain Our Independence Too Early? Your Say. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nothing To Celebrate!! Did We Gain Our Independence Too Early? Your Say. (703 Views)

Governors Defection To APC: I Spoke Too Early — Rochas Okorocha / It’s Too Early To Panic, Jimoh Ibrahim Replies Fayose / It Is Too Early To Judge Buhari’s Performance- Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nothing To Celebrate!! Did We Gain Our Independence Too Early? Your Say. by amjoseph19: 8:01am On Oct 01, 2016
Some people believe that Nigeria would Have been a better country if only we gave the British more time to Rule and govern us.. I do, am one of those people. They gave us the terminology of democracy, they didn't teach us how it's been done.
Look at South Africa for instance, they gained independence in 1991 which allowed the Whites to establish and develop the country in terms of Infrastructure, health,education and Other Social amenities before they left in 1991. Just imagine if south africa have the natural and man power resources that we are blessed with. We are living witnesses to the Fact that most of the Infrastructure and amenities provided by the British are still existing due to the quality and durability of the materials and accountability present in their administration.
Nigeria was not yet mature when we a asked for independence some 56 years ago. We were just like the prodigal son in the bible. Too bad that unlike the prodigal son, we can't go back to our colonial master.
Do you think that if South Africa had gotten their independence some 56 years ago, would they have been this developed??
Maybe am wrong, Let me hear from you. Do you think we gain our independence too early??
What year would have been ideal??
Re: Nothing To Celebrate!! Did We Gain Our Independence Too Early? Your Say. by tunebob(m): 8:05am On Oct 01, 2016
we have peace to celebrate at least
Re: Nothing To Celebrate!! Did We Gain Our Independence Too Early? Your Say. by amjoseph19: 8:23am On Oct 01, 2016
tunebob:
we have peace to celebrate at least
Peace?? Really?? They Niger delta militant in the south asking for resource control/ Regionalism, the IPOB in the East craving for independence/Regionalism. Boko haram in the north seeking for islamic state. Nigeria habours the deadliest terrorist organization in the world in boko haram, the most lethal killing machines in the world in fulani herdsmen.
We are really experiencing peace. Ain't we??

3 Likes

Re: Nothing To Celebrate!! Did We Gain Our Independence Too Early? Your Say. by MAXIMAL123(m): 8:27am On Oct 01, 2016
Nigeria may not be in good independent now, as expected, and it was due to the bad lucks interms of leadership . But I believe Nigeria would be gold plated land very soon and is passing through fire now in order to become Gold tomorrow. I foresee dis... PMB is Sure grin

Re: Nothing To Celebrate!! Did We Gain Our Independence Too Early? Your Say. by tunebob(m): 8:50am On Oct 01, 2016
amjoseph19:

Peace?? Really?? They Niger delta militant in the south asking for resource control/ Regionalism, the IPOB in the East craving for independence/Regionalism. Boko haram in the north seeking for islamic state. Nigeria habours the deadliest terrorist organization in the world in boko haram, the most lethal killing machines in the world in fulani herdsmen.
We are really experiencing peace. Ain't we??

yes I agree with you but we are still at peace ...if you see war my brother hmmm... you will appreciate the present situation.... but still we need to pray for our country to be a better place.... God bless Nigeria, God bless me and my family, God bless PMB
Re: Nothing To Celebrate!! Did We Gain Our Independence Too Early? Your Say. by Boleyndynasty2(f): 8:53am On Oct 01, 2016
True, things won't have been this bad...Your points were exactly what my brother was talking about the other day, we were in a hurry and today we're paying the price. Bad leaders since 1960 till date.
Re: Nothing To Celebrate!! Did We Gain Our Independence Too Early? Your Say. by SMARTKOSSY: 9:02am On Oct 01, 2016
I concur.... Wish our independence is the year 2000
Re: Nothing To Celebrate!! Did We Gain Our Independence Too Early? Your Say. by amjoseph19: 11:41am On Oct 01, 2016
Boleyndynasty2:
True, things won't have been this bad...Your points were exactly what my brother was talking about the other day, we were in a hurry and today we're paying the price. Bad leaders since 1960 till date.
We were so much in a hurry. There was no structure or pathway on ground to follow. We just wanted to be tagged an independent country.
Re: Nothing To Celebrate!! Did We Gain Our Independence Too Early? Your Say. by gidgiddy: 12:29pm On Oct 01, 2016
Nigeria never got independence, what it got was self rule.
Re: Nothing To Celebrate!! Did We Gain Our Independence Too Early? Your Say. by DMerciful(m): 1:07pm On Oct 01, 2016
We are not united as a country. we do not even like each other collectively so we cannot progress. either you unite to move forward or remain stagnant but know that disunity and growth are mutually exclusive.
Re: Nothing To Celebrate!! Did We Gain Our Independence Too Early? Your Say. by amjoseph19: 2:11pm On Oct 01, 2016
DMerciful:
We are not united as a country. we do not even like each other collectively so we cannot progress. either you unite to move forward or remain stagnant but know that disunity and growth are mutually exclusive.
As my friend will say, LOrd lugard wake up one morning. He stretches himself, sip a cup of coffee. He shouted "am bored, what should I do to kill this boredom" then, a voice speak to him, why not join this tribes together and see how they will react. It will be fun.
And he is actually saying the truth. How can you join this tribes of different culture, language, religion, reasoning etc together under a democratic rule without implementing regionalism. And the unequal contributing of the national wealth is not happening matter. Lugard was really looking to have fun.

1 Like

Re: Nothing To Celebrate!! Did We Gain Our Independence Too Early? Your Say. by blueAgent(m): 9:12pm On Oct 02, 2016
amjoseph19:

As my friend will say, LOrd lugard wake up one morning. He stretches himself, sip a cup of coffee. He shouted "am bored, what should I do to kill this boredom" then, a voice speak to him, why not join this tribes together and see how they will react. It will be fun.
And he is actually saying the truth. How can you join this tribes of different culture, language, religion, reasoning etc together under a democratic rule without implementing regionalism. And the unequal contributing of the national wealth is not happening matter. Lugard was really looking to have fun.

Lord Lurgard left Nigeria as a federating Unit with more powers at provincial levels it was your leaders who reversed it.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Favoured South-east More Than North – Buba Galadima / ICRC President Peter Maurer Visits President Buhari In Abuja (photos) / Any Policeman Checking Vehicle Particulars Is On Illegal Duty – AIG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.