Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? (26877 Views)

How Afonja Lost Power To Fulani In Ilorin — Kasum, Leader Of Afonja Descendants / Please What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? / What's The Meaning Of Afonja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by tallfish145(m): 10:57pm On Oct 02, 2016
I often read in this forum people calling others 'afonjas' but yet to know its meaning and why are some people referred as such name. Can someone please tell me what i dont know?

8 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Oct 02, 2016
tallfish145:
I often read in this forum people calling others 'afonjas' but yet to know its meaning and why are some people referred as such name. Can someone please tell me what i dont know?

Yoruba people

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by tallfish145(m): 11:04pm On Oct 02, 2016
Demigods666:

Yoruba people
Y are they referred to such name?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by mastermaestro(m): 11:19pm On Oct 02, 2016
Someone needs to tell us the meaning of this label. Zombie I know, wailer I understand, but afonja I know not. Please someone should give its literal meaning.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by Neoguru1: 11:22pm On Oct 02, 2016
tallfish145:
Y are they referred to such name?
That stupid warrior called Afonja teamed up with the fulanis and back stabbed their fellow yorubas and fought, the fulanis having an ulterior motive conquered Afonja and ilorin. that's why yorubas in ilorin, kwara state are in Fulani occupation and are called north

Afonjas (as a metaphor) are generally known as back stabbers and two faced set of people.

185 Likes 19 Shares

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by gidgiddy: 11:26pm On Oct 02, 2016
I'm Igbo, but I read in an old Nigerian history book that Afonja was the head of the Oyo empires standing Army. I think he held the title of 'Aareonakakanfo' which could be the same title MKO once held. Yorubas in the house are better suited to tell the tale but I remember that the book said that the Aareonakakanfo was not allowed to return to Yorubaland if he lost a battle outside Yorubaland until he won. Afonja was said to have been sent on a battle he had little or no chance of winning but what happend is what I don't remember.

I've got to hand it Yorubas, they were an organised people with a standing Army, Government and an empire, long before the White man or the British came to West Africa. Igbos never had any of this.

I guess that's why I'm disappointed in some Yorubas and their attitude towards Nigeria. How can a people who were once sovereign, controlled a vast empire, had a standing Army be the ones who are chanting 'one Nigeria' like their lives depend on it? When the Oyo empire was at its peak, Yorubas didn't even know who Igbos were.

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by Neoguru1: 12:40am On Oct 03, 2016
gidgiddy:
I'm Igbo, but I read in an old Nigerian history book that Afonja was the head of the Oyo empires standing Army. I think he held the title of 'Aareonakakanfo' which could be the same title MKO once held. Yorubas in the house are better suited to tell the tale but I remember that the book said that the Aareonakakanfo was not allowed to return to Yorubaland if he lost a battle outside Yorubaland until he won. Afonja was said to have been sent on a battle he had little or no chance of winning but what happend is what I don't remember.

I've got to hand it Yorubas, they were an organised people with a standing Army, Government and an empire, long before the White man or the British came to West Africa. Igbos never had any of this.

I guess that's why I'm disappointed in some Yorubas and their attitude towards Nigeria. How can a people who were once sovereign, controlled a vast empire, had a standing Army be the ones who are chanting 'one Nigeria' like their lives depend on it? When the Oyo empire was at its peak, Yorubas didn't even know who Igbos were.
You seem to be reading Yoruba propaganda, Afonja was a warrior of ilorin that rebelled against oyo empire, with the help of Fulani, but were paid with a bad coin with the dan fodios killed him off and took over.

134 Likes 11 Shares

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by vicadex07(m): 12:54am On Oct 03, 2016
and have you seen any Yoruba person deny the fact you just stated?

It seems like you Igbo people just recently learnt to use that word..."propaganda"

You have abused the use of that word so much, it has lost its true meaning. Just about any statement not palatable to your hearing is termed propaganda...
Neoguru1:
You seem to be reading Yoruba propaganda, Afonja was a warrior of ilorin that rebelled against oyo empire, with the help of Fulani, but were paid with a bad coin with the dan fodios killed him off and took over.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by hurricaneChris: 2:38am On Oct 03, 2016
Some days back, the SA to the president on new media, Tolu Ogunlesi, compared the complaints and pains of Nigerians as "seedless grapes".

Here is Demola Olarewaju, another yoruba guy referring to him as Afonja.
Whoever had that name in the past was a total sellout.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by tit(f): 2:48am On Oct 03, 2016
Afonja is Oyo Empire General.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by orunto27: 3:53am On Oct 03, 2016
The original owners of Ilorin, Ofa and Kwara State.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by Bitterleafsoup: 3:56am On Oct 03, 2016
Why did you not type this question in google?

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by mikolo80: 5:33am On Oct 03, 2016
gidgiddy:

oyel moni

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by Redoil: 6:27am On Oct 03, 2016
tallfish145:
afonja sold his people to the fulanis thinking it will pay him better only for the fulani to take over the whole of yoruba land and has been ruling them for the past 600years with them following sheapishly. Remove afonja and substitued it with tinubu diya abiola mko akintola and all the Yoruba kings durring abacha reign

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by yoji: 7:13am On Oct 03, 2016
Neoguru1:
That stupid warrior called Afonja teamed up with the fulanis and back stabbed their fellow yorubas and fought, the fulanis having an ulterior motive conquered Afonja and ilorin. that's why yorubas in ilorin, kwara state are in Fulani occupation and are called north.

if they were so conquered, why hv their governors always still been Yoruba?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by Chiefobdk1: 7:20am On Oct 03, 2016
cone headed pipo of the sawt waste sufferiscated brown roof Republic ritual and crime zone

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by malele(m): 7:20am On Oct 03, 2016

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by Paulpaulpaul(m): 7:27am On Oct 03, 2016
tallfish145:

Afonja was a mighty warrior who fought and conquered many kingdoms, Bariba, Nupe, Idahomie - Now Benin Republic and subjugated Fulani invasions. He was made a Generalissimo-Aare-ona-kakanfo. The warrior holding that office are left outside the kingdom because they are somewhat popular than the Alaafin, the king because of their exploit on the battle field.

So, Afonja was asked to live in Ilorin, the gateway to the vast Oyo kingdom. There, Fulani that don't have cows again due to incessant battles started settling in Ilorin and pledged their allegiance to Afonja. These Fulanis taught Afonja another method of warfare which he thought could be used against Oyo kingdom because he planned to usurp the king.

In passing years he waged war against Oyo empire with the Fulanis as his foot armies. The siege failed and the Fulanis took control of Ilorin till today.

In summary, Afonja connotes betrayal,

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by Zico5(m): 7:28am On Oct 03, 2016
These igbo think yoruba are fools. We are not following any fulani as some of u posited. The reality is that u can never hold a cane and call goat to come and eat. Never! Have u ever seen any yoruba disputing we are afonja? That's where wisdom lies. Do u think this entity called Nigeria can break away soon? These are the things we have weighed diligently. Normal hausa/fulani man will never put his future in the hands of igbo cos they know where their loyalty lies. That's why the supremacy of Nigeria is between north and south west. Let's enjoy this as it lasts. We are afonja, we are yoruba, we are Nigerians.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by Paulpaulpaul(m): 7:33am On Oct 03, 2016
yoji:

The only Yoruba governor in Kwara state from inception was Governor Lawal, 1999 elected governor. No Yoruba governor in Kwara since then.

The only Yoruba people in Ilorin town now are at Idi-ape

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by Zico5(m): 7:40am On Oct 03, 2016
Paulpaulpaul:

The only Yoruba governor in Kwara state from inception was Governor Lawal, 1999 elected governor. No Yoruba governor in Kwara since then.

So Bukola is fulani, u better wake up. It seems u are still dreaming.

12 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by GodIsBastard(f): 7:59am On Oct 03, 2016
Neoguru1:
Afonja was a yoruba ruler(Oba) he sold his tribe people/land to fulani herdsmen, fulani people kicked him out of his throne and install an Emir

today yoruba people don't have Oba in Ilonri but Emir

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by ednut1(m): 8:00am On Oct 03, 2016
google has not been closed. used it

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by GodIsBastard(f): 8:00am On Oct 03, 2016
yoji:

half of Ilorin people bear fulani names

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by Neoguru3: 8:02am On Oct 03, 2016
yoji:

When somebody is answering nurudeen, Abdullah, etc where do you think that his allegiance lies?

The emir in ilorin is the puppet master of what goes on in kwara.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by GodIsBastard(f): 8:04am On Oct 03, 2016
Zico5:

So Bukola is fulani, u better wake up. It seems u are still dreaming.
is Sariki a yoruba name?

yoruba people now bear fulani names

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by Chiefobdk1: 8:05am On Oct 03, 2016
Neoguru3:
Because I said the truth, afonja moderators have banned me.
I repeat, afonjas are backstabbers and two faced people. And I will give examples.

I had a friend from oyo, he was someone I trusted, one of my closest friends, but could you imagine that the animal picked biscuit on the road and gave me to eat. I can never forget such a wicked act.

I also had a tailor, an Afonja, then I was about to write, this man put me in a stress that I was down. I gave this guy my cloth to sew for my waec. This man gave me all the assurance that he was going to do it, I gave him advance, for three weeks the guy was turning me up and down, the man now said if I can finish the payment he will finish everything, I should come that evening and collect it, I came that evening, his shop was locked. Can you imagine that for 3 months with full payment, this guy was wriggling. I lost trust in any Afonja. I had to withdraw my money and buy already made cloth.

The last straw that broke the camel's back is what I cannot share here, because I may end up taking the life of an afonja.

easy oo

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by OkoNDOoBo: 8:15am On Oct 03, 2016
Paulpaulpaul:

Shut up!!! The emir of ilorin now is a yoruba man

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by OkoNDOoBo: 8:16am On Oct 03, 2016
Neoguru3:
When somebody is answering nurudeen, Abdullah, etc where do you think that his allegiance lies?

The emir in ilorin is the puppet master of what goes on in kwara.

No fulani has ruled kwara state as governor#FACT

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Afonja? by OkoNDOoBo: 8:17am On Oct 03, 2016
GodIsBastard:
is Sariki a yoruba name?
yoruba people now bear fulani names
Sariki name is bukola,his father name is olushola,
Sariki sister gbemisola, sariki first daughter Tosin.
Is this a fulani name

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bola Adegunloye: Sanwo-Olu Will Betray Tinubu, Leading To Hypertension, Death / Soldiers Invade Polling Units In Ondo, Shooting Sporadically Into The Air / Senator Elisha Abbo Released On Bail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.