Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,698 members, 7,851,387 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:13 PM

10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. (6436 Views)

"Nnamdi Kanu Gave Me The Go-Ahead To Talk On His Behalf With FG"- Orji Uzor Kalu / 6 Major Problems Nigeria Has Been Struggling With Since Independence / 8 Deadly Security Threats Nigeria Is Facing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by Amberon: 12:08am On Oct 05, 2016
Youre kidding right? How did the white man cause iur problems? When last was the white man at the helm of affairs in Nigeria? Take a look at South Africa...why is it most developed and industrialized nation in Africa today?? The white Man!

Stop the blame game. The white man left 60 years ago..today we are worse off. The OBJ's, Tinubus and Atikus are white men to you yh?
GenBuhari:
Reason for all our problems is the white man. Not a curse.

Have you ever wondered why any problem we have, the white man makes economic gain from it?

You would have to be brain-dead not to conclude that the white man is secretly causing all our problems so he can exploit us economically.

1 Like

Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by hahn(m): 12:09am On Oct 05, 2016
Amberon:
You just said "why is no African country on the list"? But I just told you religion isn't the problem since religious countries take the lead in prosperity, development, literacy, life expectancy.

What exactly did you then mean?

It would have made more sense if you spoke of IQ of which Africans have the lowest.

Lol. I see your point though because Africans in developed countries are no better
Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by hahn(m): 12:13am On Oct 05, 2016
Amberon:
Lol...its by wealth now yh? Those images depict the GDP and per capita income of nations and as you can clearly see, religious countries are by far the lead.

Its my pleasure wink

Can i get a link to this article please?
Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by Nobody: 1:09am On Oct 05, 2016
They do not have to be seen to be at the helm for they to control the African governments through their agents using blackmail, threats and bribery.

Identifying the cause of your problem is the first necessary step to solving your problem, but you choose to call it blame game.

White man left 60 years ago? I think not - you only have to see the people meeting and lobbying the presidency on a daily basis to see how much these white devils continue to meddle in our affairs mostly I believe uninvited.

South Africa was built and developed by it's black population, the difference is because a large number of whites live there, they have allowed it to develop, unlike rest of Africa , which they continually sabotaging and destroying.
Amberon:
Youre kidding right? How did the white man cause iur problems? When last was the white man at the helm of affairs in Nigeria? Take a look at South Africa...why is it most developed and industrialized nation in Africa today?? The white Man!

Stop the blame game. The white man left 60 years ago..today we are worse off. The OBJ's, Tinubus and Atikus are white men to you yh?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by Ishilove: 3:30am On Oct 05, 2016
GenBuhari:
People who blame the white man for our problems are 100% right to do so. The white man is still waging an undeclared secret war against Africa.

This is why every misfortune Africa suffers, just happens to translate to economic gain for the white man.

We Africans need to open our eyes and see this unrefutable fact.
Umm...who's to blame for Africa's misfortunes? Let's talk about the causative factors behind the misfortunes first before discussing the white man's profiteering off the said misfortunes.

Answer this simple question: who are those to blame for the corruption, embezzlement of public funds, political instability, cyclical poverty, famine, conflicts etc? If the white man chooses to profit from our misfortunes then first trace the causes.

Is it the whiteman that encourage the leaders to refuse to relinquish power as and when due? One of the causes of conflict in a region is power struggle. When a certain group feel the need for greater political participation in government and they feel they are being denied this, one of the methods explored to address the perceived unbalance is force. In many causes they are justified in their grief, especially when people like Mugabe declare themselves winners every 4 years despite glaring evidence to the contrary.

If the white man chooses to profit from the conflict that may break out due to power struggle vis arms sales to the warring factions that inherently fuel the conflict , then we should question why the said leader did not relinquish power in the first place.

This is just one instance in the plethora of instances that allow foreigners 'meddle' with African affairs, thus increasing our dependence on these foreigners. A majority of Africa's problems lie solely on the shoulders of Africa.

Look GenBuhari, stop arguing blindly and remove the log from thine eyes...

1 Like

Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by Ishilove: 3:48am On Oct 05, 2016
Amberon:
Africa is indeed under a curse. Read Deuteronomy 28.

I see no other reason for the poverty, backwardness, hunger and starvation going on in Africa.
I have reasoned it and made the same conclusion. The mind boggles.

1 Like

Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by DaudaAbu(m): 4:03am On Oct 05, 2016
Ishilove:

Oh boy, this is a boat load of crap. Explorers, whoever wrote this needs his head examined. When did we gain independence in Nigeria? 1960. 56years ago. That is more than enough time to have experienced major technological and scientific development.

The colonialists gained a foothold in Africa through trade. They never brought 'good news' of trade and religion because we already had our own religious system on ground. We traded with them, they infiltrated our ranks, deceived a lot of the leaders into signing treaties that sold our authority to them and used force to ensure that those agreements stood. Those that resisted were either killed in battle or deposed and exiled through the use of force.

After 1945 there was a push for the decolonisation of Africa and thus from 1950s African countries began gaining their independence, but before then our people went to the Mother State for their University education where they got degrees in sciences, medicine and arts.

So tell me how in God's name they emphasised on art education for the average African child?

The lack of technological progress we are experiencing should be blamed on our inadequate leadership, not on the whiteman.

At the bolded,
I dont agree that they trained us for degrees in science and medicine, what they gave us then was pure administrative training becos we need to take over from them and they trained us to administer ourselves the way they do because they believe their ways of administration is better.

Check out the name of most of our founding fathers and national heros, how many of them are trained in science or in medicine?
Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by Nobody: 4:04am On Oct 05, 2016
Yes it is the white man that is to blame for the corruption, embezzlement of public funds, political instability, cyclical poverty, famine, conflicts etc?

Yes, it is the whiteman that encourage the leaders to refuse to relinquish power as and when due?

Often times white man props up the corrupt leaders who they corrupt themselves or place in power by proxy and they would keeps such leaders in power for ever as long as they serve their interests.

White man also instigates the wars and conflicts by assembling and funding terrorists and insurgents to destablise those African leaders that they cannot control.

Mugabe is in power for so long because his people keep voting for him in the absence of credible opposition party.

All Africa's problems that I am aware of lies soley on the shoulders of these wicked white devils.
Ishilove:

Umm...who's to blame for Africa's misfortunes? Let's talk about the causative factors behind the misfortunes first before discussing the white man's profiteering of the said misfortunes.

Answer this simple question: who are those to blame for the corruption, embezzlement of public funds, political instability, cyclical poverty, famine, conflicts etc? If the white man chooses to profit from our misfortunes then first trace the causes.

Is it the whiteman that encourage the leaders to refuse to relinquish power as and when due? One of the causes of conflict in a region is the power struggle. When a certain group feel the need for greater political participation in government and they feel they are being denied this, one of the methods explored to address the perceived unbalance is force. In many causes they are justified in their grief, especially when people like Mugabe declare themselves winners every 4 years despite glaring evidence to the contrary.

If the white man chooses to profit from the conflict that may break out due to power struggle vis arms sales to the warring factions that inherently fuel the conflict , then we should question why the said leader did not relinquish power in the first place.

This is just one instance in the plethora of instances that allow foreigners 'meddle' with African affairs, thus increasing our dependence on these foreigners. A majority of Africa's problems lie solely on the shoulders of Africa.

Look GenBuhari, stop arguing blindly and remove the log from thine eyes...
Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by Ishilove: 4:12am On Oct 05, 2016
DaudaAbu:

At the bolded,
I dont agree that they trained us for degrees in science and medicine, what they gave us then was pure administrative training becos we need to take over from them and they trained us to administer ourselves the way they do because they believe their ways of administration is better.

Check out the name of most of our founding fathers and national heros, how many of them are trained in science or in medicine?
Let's assume you're right... how many years ago was this...?
Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by Ishilove: 4:13am On Oct 05, 2016
GenBuhari:
Yes it is the white man that is to blame for the corruption, embezzlement of public funds, political instability, cyclical poverty, famine, conflicts etc?

Yes, it is the whiteman that encourage the leaders to refuse to relinquish power as and when due?

Often times white man props up the corrupt leaders who they corrupt themselves or place in power by proxy and they would keeps such leaders in power for ever as long as they serve their interests.

White man also instigates the wars and conflicts by assembling and funding terrorists and insurgents to destablise those African leaders that they cannot control.

Mugabe is in power for so long because his people keep voting for him in the absence of credible opposition party.

All Africa's problems that I am aware of lies soley on the shoulders of these wicked white devils.
I see you're trolling. Good day.
Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by Nobody: 6:36am On Oct 05, 2016
Because you have not been enlightened , it appears to you that me telling you the truth amounts to me trolling abi?
It's okay.
Ishilove:

I see you're trolling. Good day.
Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by SIRTee15: 8:42am On Oct 05, 2016
GenBuhari:
Human would always choose pride, dignity and freedom over a booming economy.
I don't think so......
ask the Chinese......
Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by aventura: 8:51am On Oct 05, 2016
Ishilove:

Part of our problems in Africa is the blame game. Many people are still blaming the white man for the economic woes in the continent.

Let us go back to the pre-colonial era. Our ancestors sold their brothers to the white man as slaves. Kindly forget the over-sensationalisation by media through shows like Alex Haley's 'Roots' (Kunta Kinte), we sold each other to the slave traders for silver, mirrors, guns and gunpowder. White slavers saw a willing market among us Africans and they capitalised on it. Do we lay the blame squarely on the white man's shoulders? Of course we do. We must have someone to blame for our atrocities against one another.

Fast forward to post colonial Africa. Do we blame the white man for corruption, sit tightism and endless internecine conflicts? Let's take Liberia as an illustration. Charles Taylor was supposed to be the saviour who saved Liberia from the terrible clutches of Samuel Doe, but he ended up being worse than Doe. Is the white man to blame?

Mugabe has run Zimbabwe to the ground and he has been there since their 1982 independence. 34 years. Do we blame the white man for this?

Is the white man to blame for the Nigerian Civil war and the political instability that characterised the first 3 decades after our independence? Major Nzeogwu, in his famous 1966 coup speech stated one of the motivating factors behind the coup as, to paraphrase, "those in government who appropriate 10% of monetary allocations." Fifty years on, these corrupt elements have moved from 10% to 90%, or in some cases, the entire 100%. The developmental projects and investments these sums were meant to cover never see the light of day because of a few kleptomanic leaders who care more about primitive accumulation of wealth than the progress of Africa. Do we blame the white man?

Of course we must blame the white man. Rhetoric and the blame game, apart from stealing each other blind, are what we are best at.

Change begins with Africans. It's like an adult blaming his parents for his dire situation instead of changing the narrative.

Take for instance; the privileges America grants to the country that borders it to the north (Canada) is not thesame for the country that boarders it to the south (mexico) because like America, Canada has done well for herself so she sits on the table of men. That's a life lesson for us.

There is a this book on how the west underdeveloped Africa by Walter Rodney and I share some his sentiments but that was many years ago. The colonialists were also imperialists and a major characteristics of imperialism is subjugation to maintain an order. I understand but that was many years ago. They did whatever for their interest.

Now we know this, what are we now doing to change the narrative? America as a country never believed as at the beginning of the 20th century that they would lead the world at sometime. What did they do? They put themselves in a good position with rapid industrialization and development then when the Europe almost crumbled during the second world war, they stepped in and took the drivers seat and they've never relinquished that position. Eight years after the second world war, America started dictating to Britain on the international stage something that would have been practically imposible as at 1920.

Now look at how China is rising or Brazil. Brazil are now putting themselves on the international stage by doing the big things. Now it's the just concluded Olympics tommorrow it's the Moon landing for a country that wasn't better than us as at the 60's
Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by juicydiceyjoe(m): 9:08am On Oct 05, 2016
oteneaaron:

You have to be Precise.......for,which is there no scientific Proof?

The Egyptian slave story, proof outside the bible
Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by Nobody: 10:52am On Oct 05, 2016
Neither China or Brazil were ever colonised.
The colonisation is a huge setback for any country and could take a thousand years to shake off its effects.

Much Like some rape victims can be traumatised for decades.

This is further worsened by the fact that the white continues to persecute Africa and wage a covert war aimed at the destruction of Africa.

I agree change begins with us and that change is to treat the white man like the enemy he is and cut all friendly ties with him until he changes his wicked ways.
aventura:
Change begins with Africans. It's like an adult blaming his parents for his dire situation instead of changing the narrative.

Take for instance; the privileges America grants to the country that borders it to the north (Canada) is not thesame for the country that boarders it to the south (mexico) because like America, Canada has done well for herself so she sits on the table of men. That's a life lesson for us.

There is a this book on how the west underdeveloped Africa by Walter Rodney and I share some his sentiments but that was many years ago. The colonialists were also imperialists and a major characteristics of imperialism is subjugation to maintain an order. I understand but that was many years ago. They did whatever for their interest.

Now we know this, what are we now doing to change the narrative? America as a country never believed as at the beginning of the 20th century that they would lead the world at sometime. What did they do? They put themselves in a good position with rapid industrialization and development then when the Europe almost crumbled during the second world war, they stepped in and took the drivers seat and they've never relinquished that position. Eight years after the second world war, America started dictating to Britain on the international stage something that would have been practically imposible as at 1920.

Now look at how China is rising or Brazil. Brazil are now putting themselves on the international stage by doing the big things. Now it's the just concluded Olympics tommorrow it's the Moon landing for a country that wasn't better than us as at the 60's

Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by Nobody: 10:56am On Oct 05, 2016
Let's agree to disagree on this.
SIRTee15:

I don't think so......
ask the Chinese......
Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by SIRTee15: 11:22am On Oct 05, 2016
I think Africa's problem lies solely in the quality of our education, truth be told, it's very poor......
just like someone said.......
the imperialists didn't come to develop Africa, but to subjugate, exploit and extract......
and to do that, they need assistance from some locals that will help in the implementation of such policies......
thus they needed to train n educate some of our fathers solely for the aim of furthering their interest in the colonies.....
and that was exactly what they did, unfortunately that type of training or education wasn't sufficient to build and sustain a nation.......
when our leaders took over, they never bothered to review the lame educational system they inherited from the white man, rather they retained and ignorantly further expanded it, building schools and universities that churn out graduates with certificates but no skill.........
Initially it worked; although the quality was poor the quantity was also small. The country was also new, thus opportunity naturally cropped up without much sweat.
Thus the limited number of opportunity available was able to accommodate the few graduates we had.
The theme then was 'Go to school, get a degree and your future is secure n bright'
As the population explodes and more and more people begin to acquire these certificates, it become obvious that the above theme was a mirage and it wasn't long before we found ourselves in multiples of 'home troubles'.......
All the natural opportunities had been exhausted and it was time to work hard to create new ones....
Unfortunately, we were not trained on how to notice potentials, unlock it, sustain it and expand it for the common good if all.
There was simply no connection between what we've been taught in school and challenges facing us as a nation.....
And without a properly educated workforce, it wasn't long before Africa entered hibernation n somnolence....
Nigeria has been sleeping for only God knows when and only improvement in our educational system can wake it up......
The above is our main problem, not corruption, or nepotism, or epileptic power, or poor infrastructure, or civil strife, or insecurity........
all these are just the consequences of our inability to connect to our immediate environment and exploit it's potential....
the white man and his media will never tell u the truth because they equally share in the blame........
For a Third World nation to attain the status of a first world, the educational curriculum must be structured towards maths and science with emphasis on innovation, creativity and research with the aim of producing a highly skilled workforce.
STEM is the key for any nation who seriously wants to accelerate it's wheel of progress among the committee of nations........
without STEM, a nation is forever stuck......
The educational curriculum must also promote the use of local technology to solve local problem tru the power of observation.......
The educational curriculum must also emphasize the need to use indigenous languages as medium of instruction in schools at least up to secondary school level......
learning in school with ur mother tongue is the only way to achieve an effective universal basic education among the populace.
It will also improve the way we think since we process our thoughts in our local language. This will improve our power of imagination and observation as well as enhance our performance in various skill application.
how many of us can engage in an intellectual discussion solely in an indigenous language.....
how many if us can explain or describe a task to someone else in his mother tongue without interjecting with English.
Africa really needs to develop it's indigenous language, that's the language majority understand.....

we really need to sit down n decide exactly what we want from our school system that will be relevant in this age n time......
enough of recycling outdated n obsolete educational system that benefits nobody......
One thing is clear, the world no longer rewards people just for what they know. Google knows everything.
The world economy rewards people for what they can do with what they know.
"Therefore, knowledge application n the creative use of knowledge should be the focus of our new educational curriculum and that should start from primary school.... even kindergarten self.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by jpphilips(m): 1:35pm On Oct 05, 2016
Explorers:
4. Endless Conflicts.

Africa is known to be a place where a brother kills a brother and a son kills a father.

You would wonder why people who have lived alongside each other for generations suddenly decide to attack their each other/neighbours.

While the elites tell the world that these conflicts are fueled by ethnic, religion intolerance, they create the ethnic groups themselves.

Look at the unstable African countries where rebels attack the government. Who funds them? Where do they get those sophisticated weapons?

How easy is it to offer sophisticated weapons to British and US citizens to fight their governments? An 8yr old will dial 911 by mere suggesting it so do not blame the man who offered guns, blame the m0r0n who took it and actually used it.

1 Like

Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by ValentineMary(m): 2:27pm On Oct 05, 2016
Nice post man.
Re: 10 Major Problems Africa Is Facing That We Really Need To Talk About. by Malayy(m): 2:33pm On Oct 05, 2016
Peacetemi:

No
It's only in Africa that people force religion on their own lives
It's only in Africa that you'll see someone spend more time in church than his/her workplace/enterprise
It's only in Africa that people would rather waste their energy praying for miracles, instead of using that energy to develop their lives/careers.

I can go on and on undecided

Religion is our first problem

#Believe
so what do you suggest we do?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lekki Toll Gate - CCTV Cameras Removed; Twitter NG Calls For Withdrawal / If Nigeria Splits, This Is What Geopolitical Politics Will Look Like / Massive Nationwide Protest Tomorrow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.