Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,588 members, 7,840,408 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

Senegal Dissolves Senate Arm Of National Assembly To Save Cost - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Senegal Dissolves Senate Arm Of National Assembly To Save Cost (431 Views)

Amadou Sall, Big-Sized Senegal President’s Son. Photos Go Viral / Protesters Storms Venezuela National Assembly, Beat Politicians To Pulp(photos) / Senegal Gives Jammeh Midnight To Vacate Presidency Seat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senegal Dissolves Senate Arm Of National Assembly To Save Cost by olatunjihaq: 12:27pm On Oct 04, 2016
Senegalese lawmakers, who are divided between a 150-seat National Assembly and a 100-seat Senate, voted to do away with the Senate, passing a law, which dissolves the institution in order to save an estimated $15 million.

Minister of Justice Aminata Toure explained that the suppression on Tuesday of the Senate is intended to curb government spending, and would provide the cash needed to help the victims of the yearly rains, which have left thousands homeless and killed at least 13 people.

Unlike the National Assembly, the senate is a relatively recent institution, and has become a symbol of government waste.

It’s been frequently pilloried and described as an instrument of cronyism, a way to reward loyal party workers who did not get elected to the larger National Assembly. Around half the senators are directly appointed by the president.

Congress also voted to abolish the Office of the Vice-President, established in 2009 by then President Abdoulaye Wade, the BBC reports. It has never been occupied.

•Culled from Associated Press
Source: http://abusidiqu.com/senegal-dissolves-senate-arm-of-national-assembly-to-save-cost/
Re: Senegal Dissolves Senate Arm Of National Assembly To Save Cost by olatunjihaq: 12:28pm On Oct 04, 2016
Can this really happen in my fatherland's country?
Front pageeee
Re: Senegal Dissolves Senate Arm Of National Assembly To Save Cost by Royals1st: 12:29pm On Oct 04, 2016
This FP matter abge and this can never happen in my country nigeria never
Re: Senegal Dissolves Senate Arm Of National Assembly To Save Cost by dubemnaija: 12:31pm On Oct 04, 2016
Both arm should be dissolved in Nigeria to save cost
Re: Senegal Dissolves Senate Arm Of National Assembly To Save Cost by ammyluv2002(f): 12:33pm On Oct 04, 2016
olatunjihaq:
Can this really happen in my fatherland's country?
Front pageeee
My dear, OYO is your case ooh *in Rita's voice*
Re: Senegal Dissolves Senate Arm Of National Assembly To Save Cost by Mujaheeeden: 12:40pm On Oct 04, 2016
We want same in Nigeria and also the abolition of the name MUHAMMAD BUHARI
Re: Senegal Dissolves Senate Arm Of National Assembly To Save Cost by Alexk2(m): 12:45pm On Oct 04, 2016
I wish NA can be scrapped entirely in Nigeria. They are just an unnecessary waste of money as far as i'm concerned.

Talking about making laws; we can find a way round that which will cost us very little.
Re: Senegal Dissolves Senate Arm Of National Assembly To Save Cost by bendutch(m): 12:47pm On Oct 04, 2016
Please can we put this in cartoon format so our Dullardeen can read and laugh and laugh and laugh.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Criminals Run Amok In South Africa / What Barack Obama Brought To Politics / Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa Dies After Cardiac Arrest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.