Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,738 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Celebrating Ndi-igbo - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Celebrating Ndi-igbo (45506 Views)

The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad / Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland Cultural Office / Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by chiogo(f): 4:23pm On Oct 24, 2009
Erm, I don't think Ne-yo is Igbo. I've seen a girl with that name, Chimere and she looks/sounds nothing like a Nigerian. And she pronounced the last part as the English word, "mere". And the C sounds like the letter S. That's not how the Nigerian name is pronounced.

Anyway, you can add Osi Umenyiora, Nnamdi Asomugha, and Emeka Okafor - they are all into sports.

I'd say Andre Iguodala too - but he's not Igbo. He's cute though.  smiley
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by THEAMAKA(f): 10:31pm On Oct 24, 2009
^^^^^

is Wale a yoruba? or not?
ive never heard an igbo with the name of Wale.
but please correct me if im wrong.
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by chiogo(f): 12:16am On Oct 25, 2009
^ Hmph, I'm going crazy, pardon me. I'm down with the cold.

For a minute, I was thinking of people of Nigerian descent in general not just Igbo. I've edited it.
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by THEAMAKA(f): 1:04am On Oct 25, 2009
yeah i was thinking isnt Wale Yoruba?
lol

yeah, cool.
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by AloyEmeka6: 6:50am On Oct 25, 2009
Austin Okere

[img]http://2.bp..com/_CuGHrzon8Z4/SbipW8J424I/AAAAAAAAATE/C72hqJFgnOE/s320/Austin.jpg[/img]

Austin Okere is an entrepreneur and co-founder of the Computer Warehouse Group, a foremost Nigerian Systems Integration company

Okere started Computer Warehouse Limited (CWL) over a decade ago as a computer hardware vending company. It soon grew to become a group of three companies offering solutions in telecoms and software.

CWL retains its primary task of delivering hardware solution while the DCC Satellite & Networks Limited deploys networking and satellite based communication links. The third of the tripod, Expertedge Software & System Limited is a software arm of the Group and has recorded massive success with both its indigenously developed solutions as well as the Finnacle banking solutions.

Okere has a degree in Computer Science from the University of Lagos and an MBA from the Lagos Business School. He has nearly two decades industry experience covering system analysis, sales and marketing and corporate management. He has won several awards including Outstanding Personality Award (1998, 1999) by The Guardian. He is on the board of several professional bodies including the Nigeria-South Africa Chamber Executive Committee, Institute of Directors, Nigeria Summit Group and NCS.
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by AloyEmeka6: 6:52am On Oct 25, 2009
Andy Amadi Okoroafor
[img]http://1.bp..com/_CuGHrzon8Z4/Sh96OELv8zI/AAAAAAAAAkc/VdlXKBlOclg/s320/andy.jpg[/img]

Andy Amadi Okoroafor was born in Bauchi, Northern Nigeria on February 8th 1966. He pursued his education and a successful creative career in Paris. He is returning to Nigeria to fulfill his lifelong ambition of making films about contemporary Africa for a world audience. He is an acclaimed Art Director in advertising, fashion and music videos based in Paris. His clients have included Xuly-Bët, Jean Paul Gaultier, Kookaï, Virgin, Galeries La Fayette, to name a few.

Andy is also the founder of Clam Magazine, a quarterly magazine focusing on African creativity - distributed in France, Africa, US, UK, Japan, South Africa, Germany.
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by AloyEmeka6: 6:55am On Oct 25, 2009
Chike Nwoffiah

[img]http://4.bp..com/_CuGHrzon8Z4/SdC2stdHjWI/AAAAAAAAAZs/SfFnKROg1Lo/s320/chike.jpg[/img]

Chike Nwoffiah is the Co-founder and Executive Director of Oriki Theater, a Silicon Valley based performing arts company dedicated to the promotion of Africa’s culture and heritage through workshops and performances in dance, drama, folk stories, chants and the drum.

Mr. Nwoffiah holds a Masters degree in Business and a post bachelor’s diploma in theater. He is also a graduate of the Columbia University’s Graduate School of Business INM program and the City of Mountain View’s 1999 Leadership Class. Mr. Nwoffiah is a past president of Mountain View Community Television and a former Trustee of the Arts Council Silicon Valley.

He is currently on the Board of Directors of the Mountain View Chamber of Commerce and the Alliance for California Traditional Arts. Mr. Nwoffiah is a talented actor, stage director and choreographer who has written, directed and /or acted in over fifty major stage and screen productions.

An award winning filmmaker and director, Mr. Nwoffiah won the 1998 Cinema in Industry “Cindy” gold award and the Black Filmmakers Hall of Fame awards for his children’s television program of African folk stories - Ago! Amee! In 1999, his video essay on the African Children’s choir won him another Black Filmmakers Hall of Fame award. A Killing in Choctaw won the Audience Award at the 2005 Black International Film Festival in Berlin and is in the acquisition stage with PBS.
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by AloyEmeka6: 6:58am On Oct 25, 2009
Michael Emenalo

[img]http://3.bp..com/_CuGHrzon8Z4/SZE0gfVyIEI/AAAAAAAAAJw/irhFnnELZaA/s320/mikee.jpg[/img]

Michael Emenalo is a former Nigerian football player and the current Head Scout of Chelsea football club in England.

Emenalo played college soccer in the United States at Boston University from 1986 to 1989. From there, he played for Molenbeek in Belgium, Eintracht Trier in Germany and Notts County in England before coming back to the US. Emenalo was part of the original allocated players for Major League Soccer and spent two seasons (1996-97) with the San Jose Clash. After that, he played with Lleida in Spain and Maccabi Tel Aviv in Israel. He ended his playing career with a short spate of appearances for English football club Stockport County as a favour to chairman Bradley Wiggins. The veteran Emenalo was a revelation when employed as a makeshift striker, scoring 9 goals in just 12 appearances.

Emenalo played for Nigeria in the 1994 FIFA World Cup and was capped 14 times for his country.
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by AloyEmeka6: 6:59am On Oct 25, 2009
Dr Alban

[img]http://1.bp..com/_CuGHrzon8Z4/SZPC3SiKY0I/AAAAAAAAAKg/z2MPo-lxrdc/s320/dralban.jpg[/img]

Dr. Alban, born Alban Nwapa is a Stockholm, Sweden-based musician and producer with his own record label dr-records. His music can best be described as a Eurodance/hip-hop reggae with a dancehall style.

Alban Uzoma Nwapa had his secondary education at Christ The King College, Aba, Nigeria. He spent most of his youth in his hometown Oguta. At age 23, he traveled to Sweden to study dentistry. In order to be able to finance his studies, Nwapa started making music. He worked as a DJ in the Stockholm club 'Alphabet Street'. Very quickly his name became widely known, especially since Alban often sang to the records he put on the turntable. DJ René couldn't help but notice him and so he was discovered. Alban finished his studies and even opened his own dentistry practice, keeping his disk jockeying as a lucrative sideline.

In 1990, he met with Denniz PoP from the SweMix label. Together with Denniz and Rap-Queen Leila K, his first record, "Hello Africa" - his declaration of love for his African home - broke all records.

One year later this success was surpassed by the second album One Love. 1.6 million singles of the song "It's My Life" were sold (the single was even used as background music for a Tampax advert). It was #1 in the Netherlands, Israel and Germany and #2 in the UK. The following single "One Love" was #5 in Israel. The album immediately sold over 1.7 million units.

Dr. Alban is a cousin of another famous Nigerian musician, Charles "Charlie Boy" Oputa. He is also the uncle of Ricarda Wältken from the German Hip Hop Band Tic Tac Toe.

In 2008, he released a single with Haddaway, entitled "I Love The 90's".
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by AloyEmeka6: 7:10am On Oct 25, 2009
Capt Chinyere Onyenucheya Kalu

[img]http://4.bp..com/_CuGHrzon8Z4/SXb0VaH6B_I/AAAAAAAAAEE/dFHPuqUgocw/s320/chinyere+kalu.JPG[/img]
Chinyere was Nigeria's first female pilot and she currently heads the flying school at the Nigerian College of Aviation Technology (NCAT), Zaria.

In 2006, Chinyere was conferred Member of the Order of the Federal Republic (MFR)
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by AloyEmeka6: 7:13am On Oct 25, 2009
Frederick Nnabuenyi Ugonna
Frederick Nnabuenyi Ugonna, often abbreviated to F. Nnabuenyi Ugonna (October 12, 1936, in Amaokpara/Ihitenansa, Abia, Nigeria - June 5, 1990, in London) was a Nigerian ethnologist, linguist, and writer. He is best known for his work on the Igbo language and other African languages as well as African literature.

Ugonna was the first who initiated the thesis of J. E. Casely Hayfords Ethiopia Unbound (1911) being the first truly African novel
; therefore he has written an introduction for the book's second edition in 1966.

Ugonna died of prostate cancer in 1990 in London.
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by AloyEmeka6: 7:14am On Oct 25, 2009
Chike Ozah

[img]http://2.bp..com/_CuGHrzon8Z4/SiYRL9qWdpI/AAAAAAAAAlc/moWHg1YScl8/s320/COzah.jpg[/img]

Chike Ozah is the Founder and Creative Director of the innovative new brand, Hot Air. Hot Air Brand is an American clothing company based in Los Angeles, California.

With experimental clothing designs, bright color pallets and retro patterns, Hot Air clothing has everything it takes to rule the urban fashion market. Hot Air caters to those who want to look fresh on a budget.

The west coast line is an underground favorite amongst skateboarders and hiphoppers alike. With plans to branch out in Europe and Asia, the future of Hot Air clothing seems very bright indeed. When rapper Lil'Wayne wants to add a unique twist to his fashion style, he turns to Hot Air.

Chike is best best known as one-half of the video directing team Coodie & Chike. They are responsible for directing videos for Kanye West, Mos Def, Leela James, Lil Jon and others.
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by AloyEmeka6: 7:17am On Oct 25, 2009
Chidinma Okafor
[img]http://4.bp..com/_CuGHrzon8Z4/SjjUuQxIVJI/AAAAAAAAAoU/F3JTE9RIJrA/s320/chidinma.jpg[/img]

Afro soul Chidinma Okafor was born in Lagos, Nigeria to an evangelist father. She began singing in her father's Assemblies of God Church in Suru Lere, Lagos, Nigeria at the age of 6. By the time she was 10 years old she had established her self as a soloist. Her crystalline voice set her apart from other singers. By the time she was 15 years old it was obvious that she would become a great singer.

Surrounded by all ethnic groups of Nigeria gave Chidinma Okafor an advantage. She became fluent in all the Nigerian languages as well as the English language. Her unique abilities for languages allowes her to sing in Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa and English.

She has become a true Nigerian singer like her hero Fela Kuti, singing not only to her ethnic group, but to all Nigerians. Her ability to write great songs have made her a household name. In 1999 she featured in an album entitled “IDE JI NDUM”, popularly known as “OBI NASOM RIKPO”, one of the best selling albums in Nigerian music.

In 2002 she went into studio with her producer, Franklin Okafor, to produce her solo debut album “DALU CHIM” (G29 Music, 2002), which won many awards including FNEI UK award for best gospel act 2003.

In September 2004 Chidinma Okafor performed at the prestigious Queen Elizabeth Hall as a soloist with The Yoruba Women Choir which also featured Dr. Bola Are. Dec. 2005 she performed at the Hackney Empire, London with her Voice of Vision Band.

In 2006 she toured Europe with her full band performing in various Music Festivals and concerts.

In 2006 she released “MOVING HIGHER” (G29 Music, 2006) that includes JABURATA, her biggest hit single to date. Chidinma Okafor produces her most remarkable vocal performance on record so far with JABURATA where she effortlessly mixes the languages together on tight rhythms that recall the great music of Prince Nico Mbarga at his very best. In 2007 she returned to the studio to record a remarkable double album “OPE LOYE O” (G29 Music, 2007), the only album in Nigerian music to have secured 4 hit singles in 4 different languages of Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa and English.
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by platinumnk(f): 7:18am On Oct 25, 2009
IGBO KWENU

@Amaka- Neyo is Nigerian/ Igbo

He's from anambra state
I met him and talked to him when I went home in dec.
another nairalander hung out with him in anambra state
he has people at home. I just dont know why he doesn't claim it.

^^Chike is so damm cute. kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by platinumnk(f): 7:23am On Oct 25, 2009
Hey aloy- do my uncles, - The Voice of the Cross

they been doing the good works of the Gospel for some time now. cool
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by AloyEmeka6: 7:23am On Oct 25, 2009
This NEYO story has entered another base. Has he been to Nigeria before? wink wink

1 Like

Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by AloyEmeka6: 7:24am On Oct 25, 2009
platinumnk:

Hey aloy- do my uncles, - The Voice of the Cross

they been doing the good works of the Gospel for some time now.  cool

Voice of the cross is the best gospel band in Africa but I don't know what happened to them.
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by platinumnk(f): 7:32am On Oct 25, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

This NEYO story has entered another base. Has he been to Nigeria before? wink wink

yep, flew back with him on the same flight back to the states from Lagos.

Aloy~Emeka:

Voice of the cross is the best gospel band in Africa but I don't know what happened to them.

They actually live here in California, working on Gospel projects. I last saw them in August. We're close and they call us all the time.
I loved listening to them growing up, I still do. When my brother was healed from his cancer, they sang at his thanksgiving.
When i came home, I saw one of their videos on Mytv. I respect them highly.

1 Like

Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by THEAMAKA(f): 2:44pm On Oct 25, 2009
well @ platinumnk
he obviously doesnt claim to be Nigerian nor has he pronounced it.
it seems he is ashamed.

moving on.
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by AloyEmeka6: 6:34pm On Oct 25, 2009
Kelechi Ohia

[img]http://2.bp..com/_CuGHrzon8Z4/ShqQ4xAGSwI/AAAAAAAAAjc/lT8hq4X0-Hk/s320/Kel.jpg[/img]

In just over two years in the industry, Kelechi Ohia has successfully carved a niche for herself fashion wise. Described by male colleagues as sexy, the 23-year old rapper effortlessly oozes confidence.

She says her style "is basically comfortable but it varies and depends on the occasion."

Kel also loves the corporate casual look and is usually seen wearing fitted shirts, jeans and blazers. As for the hair, the straight weave, which either parts at the middle or to the side does it for her. And let's not forget the cocktail rings and sneakers which complete the Kel look.

Watch Kel perform in the video below:

[flash=425,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvvV6wfZeaM&hl=en&fs=1&">[/flash]
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by THEAMAKA(f): 6:36pm On Oct 25, 2009
so Kel was Kelechi?
hmmm never knew that.

have you done my sexy Nnamdi yet?
biko ooo do his own next.
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by AloyEmeka6: 6:37pm On Oct 25, 2009
Who is Namdi?
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by THEAMAKA(f): 6:40pm On Oct 25, 2009
you dont know the american football player Nnamdi Asumogha or something like that.
*sorry for the last name*
he plays for the Oakland Raiders, number 21 i think.
he is sexy!!!

please post on him if you can find something. smiley
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by AloyEmeka6: 6:49pm On Oct 25, 2009
Nnamdi Asomugha

Troy Polamalu (43) and Nnamdi Asomugha (21)

Asomugha was raised in Los Angeles, California. He attended and played high school basketball and football at Leuzinger High School in Lawndale, California and Bishop Montgomery High School in Torrance, California before transferring to and graduating from Narbonne High School in Harbor City, California.

Asomugha went to college at the University of California, Berkeley, where he finished his career with 187 tackles, three sacks, 19 stops for losses, eight interceptions, three touchdowns, 15 pass deflections, two fumble recoveries and a forced fumble in 41 games as a free safety. Three years after turning pro, he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Corporate Finance in 2006.

Off the field, education and community service are his mainstays. Asomugha serves as Advisory Board Chair for his family's foundation, the Orphans and Widows In Need (OWIN) Foundation. Through OWIN, Asomugha and his family provide food, shelter, medicine, vocational training, literacy efforts, and scholarships to widows and orphans victimized by poverty or abuse in Nigeria. Currently, OWIN has two centers in Nigeria and plans to expand to other countries in Africa in 2010 [11].
In 2006, Asomugha launched an annual high school college tour program. Each year, he teams up with the East Oakland Youth Development Center to take students from Bay Area high schools on college tours across the country. To date, Asomugha has taken students to visit Morehouse College, Spelman College, Georgia Institute of Technology, Clark Atlanta University, Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston University, Brown University and the Berklee College of Music. All of the tour participants who have graduated from high school have gone on to attend higher education institutions [12].
For the 2009 tour, Asomugha will take students to visit schools in New York City including NYU, Columbia University, The Juilliard School, The Fashion Institute of Technology and Fordham University.
Asomugha's partnership with the East Oakland Youth Development Center began in 2004 when he was first asked to speak to a group of 250 youth during the summer cultural enrichment program. He has returned to speak each year, often joined by his Raider teammates.
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by THEAMAKA(f): 6:53pm On Oct 25, 2009
yeah!!!

aloy this is for you kiss
lol
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by THEAMAKA(f): 6:54pm On Oct 25, 2009
sorry i just have to add this. lol

Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by AloyEmeka6: 7:29pm On Oct 25, 2009
You do have a crush on this boy, don't you?. Is he wearing contact lenses?
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by THEAMAKA(f): 7:30pm On Oct 25, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

You do have a crush on this boy, don't you?. Is he wearing contact lenses?
crush? naw
but i do think he is FINE!!!   grin
nope those arent contact lenses.
i think the light was really bright so it made his eyes look hazel/brown

my eyes are like that too when there is a lot of light.
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by THEAMAKA(f): 7:32pm On Oct 25, 2009
also @ aloy
post that one black and white pic of that one sexy guy you posted the other day.
the guy with no shirt on. you can see his top half. grin
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by Kunbee: 10:48pm On Oct 25, 2009
Hmmmm aloy u get chikes numba cool
Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by TheSeeker(m): 1:06am On Oct 26, 2009
BACKGROUND

Onyewu's parents moved to the United States from Nigeria to attend Howard University in Washington, D.C. Onyewu has two brothers, Uche and Nonye, and two sisters, Chi-Chi and Ogechi. Growing up in Silver Spring and later Olney, Maryland, Onyewu attended St. Andrew Apostle School and Sherwood High School, where he played soccer for two years. He then enrolled in the U.S. residency program in Bradenton, Florida, before returning to Sherwood to graduate. He also holds Belgian citizenship.
At 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m) and 210 lb (95 kg), Onyewu is the tallest outfield player in U.S. team history (two goalkeepers have been taller).

PROFESSIONAL CAREER

Onyewu played two years of college soccer at Clemson University, and moved to Europe in 2002, signing with FC Metz of Ligue 1 in France. In 2003, he was loaned out to La Louvière in Belgium, and to Standard Liège a year later. The move to Liège was made permanent for the 2004–05 season. After the season, he was named to the Belgian league's Best XI as well as Foreign Player of the Year for 2005.
On December 26, 2006, Onyewu was voted U.S. Soccer Athlete of the Year. He was the first defender to earn the award since Alexi Lalas in 1995. Having been the subject of many transfer rumors regarding clubs throughout Europe, Onyewu finally completed a loan deal with Newcastle United on January 30, 2007, covering the remainder of the 2006–07 season. He wore the number 15 shirt, previously worn by another American Newcastle loan signing, Giuseppe Rossi. He made his debut for Newcastle against Fulham on February 3, 2007, and his home debut a week later, alongside Titus Bramble, in a 2–1 victory over Liverpool. The two formed an ill-fated partnership, making a number of costly mistakes which was ultimately to cost Onyewu his place. Following the arrival of new manager Sam Allardyce, Onyewu fell out of favor, and Newcastle decided not to make the loan deal permanent. He returned to Standard, and his play continued to improve. He made his 100th Jupiler league appearance for Standard Liège on March 14, 2008, against Germinal Beerschot, and was an intregal part of the club as they went on a 29-match unbeaten streak to win the Jupiler League in 2007–08. After the season he was named to the Belgian league Best XI for the second time. His strong form continued during the 2008–09 season. He led the Standard defense to a second consecutive Belgian league title. Standard was drawn with Anderlecht at season's end, and Standard won a two-legged playoff for the championship.
Onyewu signed a three-year contract with Milan on July 7, 2009. He is only the third American to play in Serie A, following Alexi Lalas and Giuseppe Rossi. He made his Milan debut on July 22, coming on as a substitute for Alessandro Nesta in a loss to C.F. América in the World Football Challenge. He made his competitive debut on September 30, again relieving Nesta in a Champions League loss to Zürich at San Siro.

Re: Celebrating Ndi-igbo by udezue(m): 4:36am On Oct 26, 2009
Oh Oh I remember Dr. Alban back when I was nappy headed lil boi. grin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcy7g05AbC0&feature=related

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Beautiful Dark Skinned Women (thread Dedication.) / Why Is Lagos Callled 'las Gidi'? / Ooni Of Ife's Wife, Queen Naomi All Perfect In New Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.