Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,038 members, 7,818,067 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? (8919 Views)

Picture: Is This Love Or Madness? Men What Do You Call This! / Husbands 5 Minutes Madness!! / Was It GREED Or KINDNESS? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by Radiant(f): 3:41am On Oct 18, 2009
Fhemmmy:

innocent people like children and women that have no way to support themselves are involved

What do you call this?
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by Fhemmmy: 3:47am On Oct 18, 2009
They both fall into that category, however, if i have to fight for one btw the innocent women and the kids, i will fight for the kids.
So i guess that explains why aint cutting the ladies any slack, but if it was the women and the useless men that are supposed to be there for them and be in their lives as fathers and brothers and husband, i will serve those men to the dogs. . . . sorry.
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by Radiant(f): 4:07am On Oct 18, 2009
Fhemmmy:

when the innocent people like children and women that have no way to support themselves.

It's called hardship or poverty.

Fhemmmy:

They both fall into that category, however, if i have to fight for one btw the innocent women and the kids, i will fight for the kids.
So i guess that explains why aint cutting the ladies any slack, but if it was the women and the useless men that are supposed to be there for them and be in their lives as fathers and brothers and husband, i will serve those men to the dogs. . . . sorry.

Femi, you're too confused about the situation. Calm down. If you want to fight for any party it should be the mothers. When you make them comfortable of some sort then they can take care of their children. You don't take their children away and leave the women in the pit to survive.

The situation is scary to say the least. Only God knows where the men are. Probably armed robbers, serving jail time, somewhere in Libya trying to swim across to greener pastures, under Lagos bridge struggling, dead, I mean u name it.

I am not justifying the situation but I'm trying to explain the reason for it. I've been calling Yaradua and I hope he'll answer one day. This country is decaying. The people are dying and no one cares! We shall all care one day. God help us.
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by Princek12(m): 4:13am On Oct 18, 2009
Womb seller is a rather icky way of referring to these more or less surrogate mothers who, probably out of financial need,  service infertile couples who want a child; it is a practice which is pervasive all across the globe, including the U.S. and Europe. There is no need to call the ladies useless, mad people, as they are making a lot of infertile couples realize their dream of having children while making money --vintage quid pro quo. All these African mentality which is to berate what is obviously a mutually beneficial business relationship has to stop. It serves the interest of society to have these ladies. God will hopefully change the mentality of some Africans.
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by princekevo(m): 7:29am On Oct 18, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Radiant . . . .chill a lil sis.
If you ask the useless 419 people, they will tell you they will tell you it is cos they can get a job, it is for survival.
Here we are justifying what the people are doing, by renting out their womb, all in the name of survival, so tell me, how can we justify one and crucify the other.
They are both ridiculous and should not be tolerated.
There are many other ways of making ends meet.

Oga Femi these are two different things. There is no how you can compare a moral issues with a crime. 419 is a crime likewise stealing and kidnapping and other. Mind you not only men are into 419 or stealing, but women do. But these ladies chosed not to go the way of crime.

Democrats openly support abortion and it was justified. Do you know how many babies are being flushed out in the US per year? Do you know how many of them are being flushed in Nigeria per year? Here we are on Nairaland hiding as faceless innocents condemning the act of a lady who think instead of me to engage myself in a relationship or an act that will make me flush my Babbies out i rather exchange them for money to give them life. Probably they will live and have a better future in a better family.

No one says immorality should be embraced with open minded, but we shouldn't be quick in judging it. Many ladies here on Nairaland condemning the act might have in one time or the other gone through abortion and the men must have in one occasion forced their GF to terminate a pregnancy jst becoz they are not ready for. So in both cases who is making the right moral judgment here? To give life to a baby in exchange for money or kill the in the womb baby becoz of poverty?

Those who asked whether Nigeria is the only country with poverty in the world. The answer is YES. Nigeria being the most populated black nation in the world also have the highest population leaving in abject poverty.
Again anyone who thinks poverty does not account for increase in immoralities should tell me why Africa have the highest population of HIV carriers other than any other continents in the world.
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by Oluschenco(m): 12:57pm On Oct 18, 2009
@Princek12
There is no need to call the ladies useless, mad people, as they are making a lot of infertile couples realize their dream of having children while making money

I think this kind of a business is better than prostitution, as some of them might be lucky to have the man for life.
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by spoilt(f): 2:50pm On Oct 18, 2009
Its practised in the west too. surrogacy. undecided
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by MadMax1(f): 3:37pm On Oct 18, 2009
This one isn't surrogacy. It's just people selling babies and it's crude. It's unregulated so they're playing ten-ten with the babies' fate. Anything could happen to them when they're handed over. All those who use human beings for ritual purposes must think they've died and gone to heaven.

If the so-called childless couples in Nigeria are so keen for other people's children they should go to orphanages and adopt. I didn't hear childless couples mentioned in the story and it's no justification for selling new born children like fish in the market. Whick kain nonsense 'survival' makes people do this? Some of the women in the story had jobs. It's just greed and a female conscience gone dead dead dead.
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by browncocos(f): 4:38pm On Oct 18, 2009
you guys are glazing through the write up this is NOT SURROGACY and should never be compared with surrogacy
half this women said they will continue sleeping with the men even while pregnant!
i dont know why no1 is talking about this

surrogate DO NOT sleep with the adoptive father of the unborn child please!
we are all watering down this matter!
this women are hopeless prostitutes and i dont feel sorry for them

one is even pregnant by another man and is willing to sleep with the person that will buy the child
now this is insane

abegi i concur with sissy and femi are we the only poverty-ridden nation biko!
am judging no1 but ill rather start making akara on the roadside for a living than prostitute myself and deceive myself i am a surrogate!

and yes i agree with people that call them selfish and greedy
not all of them are in dire financial situations
i wont be suprised if they go to tejuosho market to buy match on match clothes and accesories after being paid
they are just like aristo girls i am sorry there is no excuse for acts like this!
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by nas00(m): 4:58pm On Oct 18, 2009
The truth is:

HIV/ AIDS infection is real and is commoner in Nigeria than we all think. I often predict that unless we watch it, HIV may soon be at par with Malaria in 9ja.

I'm damn too certain this bizzare baby-trading business would aid further spread of the deadly virus.
Do d stupid men 'n whores involved ever think of this?

Poverty seems to cloud people's ability to think straight, especially in 9ja

Wake up, my people!!
Somebody pls tell 'em undecided undecided
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by switchmax8: 6:52pm On Oct 18, 2009
guy,that is an old write up i read it sometime ago on sunnews paper i was shocked and it was last year that i read it
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by unclebros: 7:27pm On Oct 18, 2009
one of the signs of the End time
Why am I not surprised
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by yomitesp(m): 9:29pm On Oct 18, 2009
It´s a very profitable business in India, In a country where a woman´s average salary could be $20,westerners pay up to $30,000 to get a womb. From this sum , the womb woman is paid $8,000.

Sad though !!!
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by melavic(f): 9:33pm On Oct 18, 2009
Really sad.that is the result of of an unstable country.what will drive young ladies to do this?greed but this d outcome of a inconsiderate country,who enriches the already rich n frustrates the poor.I just feel 4 the children who some might end up dead being used in rituals.its disheartening.
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by picoba(m): 10:02pm On Oct 18, 2009
Sorry ooooo.
Na now you notice that? People into that business are all over Nigeria.
I know upto 2 people like that.
Is not a new thing. No be nigeria untrained ones?
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by Radiant(f): 11:12pm On Oct 18, 2009
It's very easy for us to sit in our heated houses with Chicken wings and Jaffa cake on the side and call these women "greedy", "stupid", "mad" etc. You know, you just sit there and the phone rings and wow it's Daddy calling to tell you he's coming for a business meeting in London and he wants to know if you need anything from Nigeria. You're excited Daddy is coming to see you and "anyway I'll see Mom in December since I'm going home". What a lovely life, isn't it?

Some people are fortunate enough not to experience poverty and just know the word as every other English word. Many people don't understand the frustrations and desperation that comes along with being wretchedly poor. I mean poor to the point that you can't see beyond the minute you live in. There are people like that all over the world.

You remember the women in the Bible that ate one of them child? Yea, that wasn't due to greed for meat or food it was the only thing left for them to eat. Or at least what they could afford. Eat their child.

People are in the forests in Brazil eating wild berries just to survive. That's the only thing they can eat to survive. How about that?

Listen people, desperate situations call for desperate actions. People will do anything to survive. You can afford to say never until it hits you then you wonder why the world is against you.

I am very sure that whoever invented this measure did not do it out of greed. No comfortable woman will do such!!! Everyone must not sell Akara over the gutter to survive. Everyone adapts to whatever measure. The issue is not selling babies. The issue is WHY are they doing that? Many people find themselves in horrible circumstances and they must find a way to get out of it. If it's prostitution, sleeping with rich men and women, drugs, stealing, u know it all. On a good day you'd say things like "over my dead body".

People do crazy things when they're facing 'famine' in their lives. You can never believe what you will do until you're there. It's easy to "whatever" the situation because we don't really understand the depth of poverty.

Nobody is even asking about the future. These children may be the ones our children will fall in love with tomorrow and want to marry them. Now, don't say God forbid because that's the truth. Then when you find out their history whatchu gon' do? Be forced to understand where he's coming from and take him in bitterly, push him away or embrace him lovingly?

While it has become the norm like some of you are saying please let's not ignore the root of this situation which is poverty.
That's how they kidnap people for ransom and some think it's normal. You won't understand until it hits you.

Those in authority need to step in and take control of this mess.

The fact we ignore today is the misery we shall face tomorrow.
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by MissEZ(f): 12:26am On Oct 19, 2009
Its funny how everything adds up to poverty in a developing country, while in a more developed country its completely legal. It is called surrogacy. the lady is a surrogate mother to the child. It is a widely accepted practice in the states. If you do not want to carry the child, you can be an egg donor and get paid very well for donating eggs to willing recipients.

This is not to say that i support this practice, but its happening everywhere not just naija.
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by MadMax1(f): 1:10am On Oct 19, 2009
A surrogate mother carries the fertiilised sperm and egg of a couple to term. In no way is it her child and it's not an all comers affair as not everyone who applies to be a surrogate mother is granted that status. It's all proper and monitored and legalised. What these useless, mad women are doing is NOT surrogacy.

And what poverty, when those women had jobs? If they were so desperate they should go into prostitution proper and leave innocent babies out of it. Those babies are human beings and we all started that way. Poverty? What kind of ridiculous justification for something immoral and insane is that? People are selling children. One of them agrees to sell a strange man a pregnancy that isn't his, and it's all right, because it's 'poverty'. Are they the first and only poor in the world? They should go to Sudan and Niger and Ethiopia and learn first hand what poverty is. Are women selling babies in those countries? NO! If they do it in Asia that somehow makes it all right or what? HABA!
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by bolanleodu: 2:10am On Oct 19, 2009
This is d reason some people flunk exams. Surrogacy was never mentioned in the text. And am tired of reading unintelligible post here. How can any one justify such jungle act by a mere mention of poverty or say theft and 419 are not moral issues falling in the same class with this situation? A few intelligent folks see behind the vale here. Considering our society this is another portal for ritual killings, and it should be halted from progressing further,
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by bolanleodu: 2:25am On Oct 19, 2009
Mad max, my advice to you is to stop arguing for some people can not see the truth even with a search light, you'll detect that from their post. RADIANT, being iconoclastic doesn't make you a pioneer, read the text again before you make any other ludicurous post, this ladies have no excuse they dont even know poverty yet they are just morally dead but if you choose to give reasons for their act then there is nothing wrong in someone taking your breast and pri. prt. by metaphysical means if he so wishe to,
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by bolanleodu: 2:29am On Oct 19, 2009
Mad max, my advice to you is to stop arguing for some people can not see the truth even with a search light, you'll detect that from their post. RADIANT, being iconoclastic doesn't make you a pioneer, read the text again before you make any other ludicurous post, this ladies have no excuse they dont even know poverty yet they are just morally dead but if you choose to give reasons for their act then there is nothing wrong in someone taking your breast and pri. prt. by metaphysical means if he so wishe to,
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by bolanleodu: 2:31am On Oct 19, 2009
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by Outstrip(f): 2:36am On Oct 19, 2009
That's the point I wasleanng towards. These men obviously can afford to buy all the human beings they need for their rituals. All they have to do is basically grow them like they raise chickens. Put all of them in a pen and when babalawo askes for one you just go fetch one like you are picking a chicken to slaughter for dinner. There is no regulation in Nigeria on anything. This is a very dangerous thing. Should not be taken lightly
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by bolanleodu: 3:02am On Oct 19, 2009
, Since am tinkin dat would equall baby selling on d moral pedestal. nyways no one is questionin d rights of such children 2a nondiscriminatory social life, wats been discuss is these CATTLES' logic 2 sell off babes 2 whoever can pay try stay on d thread, ok! Surrogacy is planned with legal backing and CANNOT be compared to this nightmare we just awakened to, rem what we read is a result of investigative journ. Its shrouded in too much mystery and lacks all moral backing. Its a trend which must b stemmed.
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by canuck(m): 3:47am On Oct 19, 2009
It appears the clients are predominantly "rich men", not even couples. . .What does a man want to do with a child he bought? Hmm. . .I'm guessing the "R" word. Oh boy!
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by Radiant(f): 5:22am On Oct 19, 2009
I laugh. . .

One thing I'm sure of is that a woman will not carry her child and throw him away after birth just because she's greedy. Greedy for 130k? Doesn't that sound like a joke? To me it does. There's a reason why she has decided to 'cross her mind' and do whatever to survive and support her family as the case may be.

These women are "mad". Yes, poverty will make you do "mad" things. You just sit there and talk.

By the way I hope we all know that it's not only in Nigeria people sell their babies? I've read a case of a woman who sold her baby for $100. Now, that is greed? Severe poverty!

You cannot tell me that these women enjoy what they do. Which woman will really want to put herself through all this mess just coz she's greedy? Come on now! Seriously, what are you people saying here?

I am not justifying this situation please. This is actually baby trafficking and it is a crime. We don't want to talk about the legal consequences because the legal system in Nigeria is as good as dead. You can simply get away with any crime.

Easy to call names yet so hard to do any good. Abeg forget matter!
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by princekevo(m): 6:26am On Oct 19, 2009
All of this faceless innocents hiding behind their computers, believe that a child can be terminated in the womb if not wanted or if it come at the wrong time, but judge those who chose to give them in exchange for money.
What a hypocrites are we Nigerians? This hypocritical attitude is what is taking us behind. We hide under religion to commit the biggest atrocities in the secrets, those that made theirs public are being condemned and stoned to death. We like to complain abt the dust in others eyes while hiding the plank in our own eyes
Let us all stop whining over this. Immorality is immorality no matter how small, sin is sin and crime is crime irrespective of how big or small it is. So dont judge others coz you are not better than them.
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by sayso: 8:20am On Oct 19, 2009
link=topic=338880.msg4759767#msg4759767:

One of the commercial mothers, Tonia, said: “If any guy wants me to have a child for him, I will consider it if he can pay me up to N200, 000. He will also pay my medical bills. He will pay the agreed sum in three instalments: He will pay me the first one when I take in; the second will be when the pregnancy is about six months old while the final payment will be after delivery. We can be making love from time to time until full term.”

shocked
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by Ben13: 8:46am On Oct 19, 2009
grin Nigerians are business inclined.

How on earth would one think of such just for the sake of money. This is serious madness.

The bad news is that FG is too busy with Niger delta and ASUU to even start looking at the poor situation.
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by nethacker(m): 9:38am On Oct 19, 2009
***just passing,whistling n still wondering where we r heading to in dis country*****
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by Radiant(f): 10:47am On Oct 19, 2009
princekevo:

All of this faceless innocents hiding behind their computers, believe that a child can be terminated in the womb if not wanted or if it come at the wrong time, but judge those who chose to give them in exchange for money.
What a hypocrites are we Nigerians? This hypocritical attitude is what is taking us behind. We hide under religion to commit the biggest atrocities in the secrets, those that made theirs public are being condemned and stoned to death. We like to complain abt the dust in others eyes while hiding the plank in our own eyes
Let us all stop whining over this. Immorality is immorality no matter how small, sin is sin and crime is crime irrespective of how big or small it is. So dont judge others coz you are not better than them.

What are you saying ? Just give birth and hope that the 'rich and childless' man will take care of him? Whatever happens after birth doesn't really matter. At least yea God understands you can't take care of the child.

These actions are premeditated, Mister Apostle! It's not like them women just got raped and found themselves  pregnant. Which angle are you coming from please?

Damn right immorality is immorality but yea some situations just make you don't give a hoot anymore. It's sad but that's the reality. How many of us can boast that we haven't done "immoral" things to survive at some point? Why did you do that? And by the way some people are still doing the shit they be doing because nobody can see them!

And some are comparing Nigeria to the Western world. . lol

This is beyond an immoral act. It is a crime! The Government should step in and stop lazing around the matter of who gets a passport or not.

And by the way, I'm not justifying the situation I'm just stating the obvious reason behind it. They're two different things please. I wonder how you guys solve your own problems. From the root or from the surface?
Re: Wombs For Rent In Nigeria - Is This Greed Or Madness? by princekevo(m): 11:10am On Oct 19, 2009
Radiant:

What are you saying ? Just give birth and hope that the 'rich and childless' man will take care of him? Whatever happens after birth doesn't really matter. At least yea God understands you can't take care of the child.

These actions are premeditated, Mister Apostle! It's not like them women just got raped and found themselves  pregnant. Which angle are you coming from please?

Damn right immorality is immorality but yea some situations just make you don't give a hoot anymore. It's sad but that's the reality. How many of us can boast that we haven't done "immoral" things to survive at some point? Why did you do that? And by the way some people are still doing the shit they be doing because nobody can see them!

And some are comparing Nigeria to the Western world. . lol

This is beyond an immoral act. It is a crime! The Government should step in and stop lazing around the matter of who gets a passport or not.

Read all my past posts on this thread you will understand where am coming from and what am arriving at.
In conclusion we should not be so quick in judging this ladies. This is not crime but a moral issues which many Nigerians might be guilty of. You cant prove it legally  right or wrong. Their body, their womb, their time,they chose to sleep with who ever they wanna sleep with and have the rights to born for who ever they deemed necessary for any kinda benefits be monetary or otherwise. The only solution for all these mess is for government to create more employment opportunities for its citizens. Am 100% sure a lady who can earn a salary of #200k% per annum will never consider such an option. These girls do this out of desperation anybody can still think otherwise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Igbo Baby Names / Medical Examination By Your Brother-In-Law: Right Or Wrong? / Why Do Children Love Me Too Much?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.