Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,759 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:25 PM

My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married (28476 Views)

26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) / I'm About To Regret Getting Married / All The Drama That Happens When Your Parents Are Arguing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by doveda: 6:33am On Oct 06, 2016
So basically he can't do all these in marriage?undecided.

How many women walk out when their husbands lose their jobs ? If she does, it will end up being one of those things

@thebolded, you weren't the only one that told not tolo easy in other people's housesundecided. Stop making it sound like it was something more. His parents know something , they owe it to him to tell him.

MChaze25:
Have you built a house?
Or you want to a life of rent?
Have you secured your future amidst the plenty that you have now?
Start investing and always show results/progress to your parents.
Life is a turntable.
What if you loose your job tomorrow and she walks out of the marriage?
You think you know her and her people more than your parents do?
I once ate in the house of a family friend, my mum heard about it and gave me a spank i never imagined.
She knows better...
Open teeths doesnt mean open hearts talkmore of open doors to marriage talks!
Act like a man first that wants a great future first and watch them agree to you sooner.
Cheers..

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by malikombi(m): 6:36am On Oct 06, 2016
Your parents rather understand why they want you to wait. Receive their blessing @ 35
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by TONYE001(m): 6:48am On Oct 06, 2016
Cutehector:
I think they are right... why not wait until you are 30yrs of age first.... marriage isn't smth u rush into.

He isn't too young to get married, brother. As a matter of fact, that's the exact age I go married two years ago..and my wife and I are doing exceedingly well.

In this case, however, he must obey his parents. It's either he finds a way to convince them or he does as they have said. I'm sure there must be a good reason why the parents aren't on his side.

In my case, my parents were with me...right from the day I broke the news...but, of course, that was because they knew I was ready. No parent would deliberately want to antagonize his/her child (ren) without good reasons, I think.

Good morning.

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by UrennaNkoli(f): 6:55am On Oct 06, 2016
Mayorwer:

I smell lies in the whole story.
Who are your parents
Who gave you job in a multinational firm. You graduated at 23 a d got multinational firm job. Na so all that easy for this country? But it's very possible if your father is one of the thieves that has led this country to this stage that we are. Abeg give me one orijin......
Me self tire o. The boy graduated at that age and got a job in a firm that asks for minimum of 15 yrs experience grin. Maybe na connection sha.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by muller101(m): 7:03am On Oct 06, 2016
LekinsRibirth:
I'm currently on a crossroad and I really need your cordial insights on this issue.
I graduated two years ago and I'm currently 25years old and God has been extremely so good to me.
I was recently able to secure a job in a multinational firm and I receive a very good pay.
I've been able to put a lot of things in order and I feel I'm ready to settle down.
I proposed marriage to my girlfriend who is currently 23 and she accepted. our families have been friends even before we were born. myself and her grew up together and we are literally best friends( we've officially been dating for the past 4years).
I've stated my intentions to my parents and hers but they both disagreed .They said we're too young to start a family and we should wait for a minimum of 4 to 5 years .
I'll be travelling out of the country next year with my company to start an off-shore business unit and I planned to get married to her by December and take her along with me.
I really don't know what to do as my family has become my enemy in this issue.
They threatened not to give me their blessings and never to accept money from me if I go ahead with my plans.
lies.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by biggie73(m): 7:08am On Oct 06, 2016
Underneath your parents' clothing, there are endless stories. It's your duty to dig it out. All the best.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by PierreDeFermat(m): 7:10am On Oct 06, 2016
lepasharon:
Are you a little kid? Are you living ur life for ur parents? If you feeling like its time then go ahead and marry
if his parents curse him afterwards,will you be there for him? All of you go run away
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by PierreDeFermat(m): 7:11am On Oct 06, 2016
UrennaNkoli:

Me self tire o. The boy graduated at that age and got a job in a firm that asks for minimum of 15 yrs experience grin. Maybe na connection sha.
which multinational company would send him abroad to spear head an offshore business within 2 years?
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by PierreDeFermat(m): 7:12am On Oct 06, 2016
UrennaNkoli:

which multinational company would send him abroad to spear head an offshore business within 2 years? Op,you're a liar but 25 is too young to marry joor. Wait till you're at least 30. Only guys that maybe impregnate a girl are forced to marry that young
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Realhommie(m): 7:19am On Oct 06, 2016
FortuneTeller:

What does the world have in store for them that that will make waiting the best choice? The man has already graduated and has a job. He has found a wife. He waited until he was prepared before thinking of marriage. Why put himself in the world to be tempted by women he doesn't know? He knows the girl very well and even the families are known to each other. This girl is almost like a sister to him. Wait 5 years? MADNESS! If the family has no other valid reason for refusing than their ages, then there must be an issue they are not telling the op. Does her family want her to wait for a guy who already has money or does his family want all future earnings before he gets a wife? Is there a more serious matter the op is withholding from us? I suggest op examine the root cause of their refusal and if it has no merit, encourage the families. I am not telling him to marry without permission, but with supporting facts to plead his case.
I do not support them waiting 4-5 years, I said so in my post. Maybe another year would be ok if they must wait.

Now this ur post is more like it, you have said the right things, asked the right questions and made the right conclusion as well. I concur

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by mykel25(m): 7:40am On Oct 06, 2016
Ishilove:
25 years is not too young to marry, however your parents understand you more than we do so they may be justified in their refusal. They most likely have gauged your level of maturity and concluded that you aren't ready for marriage, even if you don't know it yourself.

What elders see sitting down, children can't even when they climb the tallest palmtree.

Give them time to come around. Also give yourself time to grow up

This is it #InMichaelJackson voice ....u spoke my mind

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by teemy(m): 7:46am On Oct 06, 2016
@lekinsribirt first do blood test to ensure you are not sibblings. pressuring them more would yield more roadblocks rather let them see you guys living a happy life together. please discard the advice of getting her pregnant. show you ain't desperate
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by HENRY940: 7:56am On Oct 06, 2016
half truths or plain lies. Delaila, Linus, Elias, Lai Mohammed..... Smh
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by jabojafa(m): 7:56am On Oct 06, 2016
you ar not too young but then again ur parents hvnt seen dt maturity in dt is why dey are reluctant. Jst pray to God becos d hrt of a king is in His hand including dt of ur parents. In the main tym start preparing for marriage n not wedding. Get books, tapes n cds on marriage, family etc. Attend seminars on marriage and get ursef equipped for marriage. Am sure wen ur parents sees d maturity in u they wud d one to even start asking to bring her over.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Nobody: 8:05am On Oct 06, 2016
youmour:
"Breaks kolanut"
My guy bring 500k make I lay hands on you and your woman

Only Kolanut??

I've already set some chairs, along with hired kinsmen.. I guess the OP might just bring 50k due to recession and I'll bless him forever and ever..
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by dsamedaniels(m): 8:19am On Oct 06, 2016
It's not about age or achievements. Of all comments @baby124 was d only person with a direct word. Both parents sees something in you that is not matured. May be ur attitude, manner of words, way of life Etc or it's seen in ur wife to be. So wait just like u av been advised. Nd u both work on urselves, to avoid d 'had I know's' in marriage.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by genieluv(f): 8:24am On Oct 06, 2016
You and ur gf need to start acting extremely matured for all to see, then they will change their minds.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Nobody: 8:24am On Oct 06, 2016
I don't see anything wrong with u getting married at dis point of ur life. If u are sure and u v really checked urself. The point here is U are old enough to make ur own decisions and stand by them knowing fully that any wrong decision is all on u. I v seen ppl getting married at 40 and still get it wrong, my dear it not abt how old u are or how rich u r.
At the end it all come down to u and not your parents.

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Teespice(f): 8:29am On Oct 06, 2016
why are people saying he's too young to settle down?

there are people in his age bracket who are married already or do you want him to sow his wild oats and what not?

op, you are thinking in the right direction. you should discuss further with your parents and make them realise that you are more than mature to take this step.

5 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Pchidexy(m): 8:29am On Oct 06, 2016
I don't know why we are expected to begin life so late nowadays.

Gowon ruled this land in his early 30s. Nzeogwu lead a coup at 28. Murtala Mohammed ruled this nations in his early 30.

So what's all these bullshit of getting to 30 before one marries.

@Op, if you got the means to finance a family, men get married! Raising your family as a young man is a thing of joy.

5 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by fuckpoverty(m): 8:39am On Oct 06, 2016
menix:
Well age is not maturity but sincerely, u need to relax a bit...

You re just in a hurry to kwaff her, cool down dude, u need street credibility cous i can see u guyz re ajebutter...

9ice 1 braa.....they are indeed ajebutters

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Tobium1(m): 8:49am On Oct 06, 2016
Your are okay financially, fine. Are u okay psychologically, spiritually and morally enough to raise a family and de brunt of early parenthood?
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by carammel(f): 8:57am On Oct 06, 2016
what's wrong in getting married at 25 and 23.

My cousin married at 24 and his wife was 22,they have two kids now both with good jobs and it is 5years already, yet no one has ever gone to settle fight for them,they even live together better than those that waited until 35 all in the name of maturity. some parents sef.

4 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by cosade(m): 8:58am On Oct 06, 2016
LekinsRibirth:
I'm currently on a crossroad and I really need your cordial insights on this issue.
I graduated two years ago and I'm currently 25years old and God has been extremely so good to me.
I was recently able to secure a job in a multinational firm and I receive a very good pay.
I've been able to put a lot of things in order and I feel I'm ready to settle down.
I proposed marriage to my girlfriend who is currently 23 and she accepted. our families have been friends even before we were born. myself and her grew up together and we are literally best friends( we've officially been dating for the past 4years).
I've stated my intentions to my parents and hers but they both disagreed .They said we're too young to start a family and we should wait for a minimum of 4 to 5 years .
I'll be travelling out of the country next year with my company to start an off-shore business unit and I planned to get married to her by December and take her along with me.
I really don't know what to do as my family has become my enemy in this issue.
They threatened not to give me their blessings and never to accept money from me if I go ahead with my plans.

Before giving guidance/advice on personal issues, I usually take a look at the person's profile and previous posts to have a sense of his personality. Your personal text and signature gave me an impression of someone with strong personality, and from your old posts I know you're a neophyte in writing.

So I hope this post is not just an academic exercise.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong in a man getting married at 25, in as much as he has the means of livelihood to sustain his new family, and he's emotionally prepared (maturity).

Interestingly, I got married at the age of 25 and to the glory of God, I am a proud grandparent today. I qualified as a Chartered Accountant at the age of 23 and had a good job, so it was easy to convince my parents that I was financially and emotionally prepared for marriage.

You can get trusted and close family friends or relations to talk to your parents, on your behalf.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by neocortex: 9:06am On Oct 06, 2016
JeffreyJamez:
I'm with your parents on this one..... The fact you're okay financially doesn't mean you're ready for marriage... It's not like they said you shouldn't marry her, they said you both should wait!... So my advice... ...wait!

That only works in an ideal world,
in 5 years they would probably have gone
their separate ways.

People who successfully got married after dating for a long time were
able to achieve that because it was their decision not parents rule.

I always wonder why many parents who themselves got married at ages 16-25
usually go against their children doing the same thing.

3 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by overtogod1: 9:08am On Oct 06, 2016
kissmy brother age iz just a number.. i got married at 23 nd my sweety 22 guess what? we are rocking... marriage z about maturity of the mind.. # let love lead.

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by teebozz1: 9:15am On Oct 06, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin i no fit lav oo!
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by justmi1: 9:19am On Oct 06, 2016
As far as I am concerned, early or late marriage, doesn't guarantee a successful marriage, yes maturity matters too, but sometimes age is not directly proportional to maturity, hence you are doing well, I see no reason to delay, I just see it as a continued freedom to fornicating.

3 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by delishpot: 9:25am On Oct 06, 2016
omoikea:
this life is not just fair.....

some are looking for life partner earnestly while those that has found their soul mate cant go further in living their dreams....

what a funny world we live in grin grin grin grin

In this case, life is quite fair to the young man.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by lolamitayo: 9:42am On Oct 06, 2016
Take it easy bro, is like you are relating my story.

Thank God that I unwillingly listened to my parents due to the love I have for my Dad.

Today I married in a foreigner and it is like Heaven on Earth with One boy and One girl to show and the abundance blessing of God.

To tell you the TRUTH it was not easy as at the time.

ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER FOR GOOD .............................
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by ifycent2: 9:50am On Oct 06, 2016
Taryur3:
Your primary school memory verse.
hahaha. Brother, u de funny.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by vislabraye(m): 9:51am On Oct 06, 2016
doveda:
Are you trying to say he can't do his master's or gain experience as a married man?

He can do both. I guess it's best if he does it now that he's not married. Age is a big advantage on his side. It's my opinion but nothing is absolute.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

His Mother Said His Fiancee Is Not Beautiful And Classy / My Colleague's Husband Stresses His Wife Daily / 62-year-old Nigerian Woman Delivers Triplet After 33 Years Of Marriage (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.