Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

US Is Not A Civilized Country - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US Is Not A Civilized Country (822 Views)

Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana / Nigerian Politics Is Still Too Primitive For Civilized Politicians / Buhari's Case In A Civilized Society. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Is Not A Civilized Country by mrrights: 11:11pm On Oct 06, 2016
US is not a civilized Country by Abdulrazaq O Hamzat Some people have often referred to the United States of America as an example of a civilized country, but I usually disagree to a great extent. When anything happens in Nigeria for example, some people are usually quick to refer to US as an example of where things are done differently, and rightly too. But when one carefully observe events in that country, nothing justify such assertion. The US, based on verifiable evidences is not that civilized country some people wants us to believe it is. To put the issue in a right perspective, I tell them, if you want to know a civilized country, look out for 3 things. 1. How do they play their politics? Decent or dirty? Issues or personality? 2. How does the country's government handle criminal/indecent behaviors by powerful people? Diligently hold them accountable or tactically shield them from prosecution? 3. And finally, how does the authorities respond to systematic impunity and violations of citizens right by Government institutions? You will agree with me that, in the above listed conditions, the United States of America failed woefully In all and therefore doesn't deserve to be regarded as a civilized country. For the past one year, I have carefully and deliberately followed events in USA to understand how things operate and to my greatest surprise, many things happening in Nigeria that we, the citizens condemn so strongly, is almost similar to what is happening over there. But that is not the main issue, things can happen. What I tried to observe is government responses when things happen. Like Nigeria, their are sacred cows, the untouchables who get away with anything, no matter how criminal and grave. Rather than prosecute the culprits, they are shielded by Government. Accuse them as much as you like, write as much petition or supply as much evidences, they are never going to face any consequences for their wrong actions. They are parts of the establishment and therefore cannot be punished. What about the US politics? Election fraud, right from the primaries. Dirty politics, circled around personalities, not issues. While it is true, that we have some excellent personalities in US, we can't ignore the fact that, US, like Nigeria, plays a dirty politics. Evidences available indicate that, acting dirty is the order, while decency is an exception. In view of this, I still hold the view that, US is far away from being an ideal country to be referred to as a civilized country.

Re: US Is Not A Civilized Country by mrrights: 8:01am On Oct 07, 2016
Re: US Is Not A Civilized Country by Nobody: 10:02am On Oct 07, 2016
mrrights:
US is not a civilized Country by Abdulrazaq O Hamzat Some people have often referred to the United States of America as an example of a civilized country, but I usually disagree to a great extent. When anything happens in Nigeria for example, some people are usually quick to refer to US as an example of where things are done differently, and rightly too. But when one carefully observe events in that country, nothing justify such assertion. The US, based on verifiable evidences is not that civilized country some people wants us to believe it is. To put the issue in a right perspective, I tell them, if you want to know a civilized country, look out for 3 things. 1. How do they play their politics? Decent or dirty? Issues or personality? 2. How does the country's government handle criminal/indecent behaviors by powerful people? Diligently hold them accountable or tactically shield them from prosecution? 3. And finally, how does the authorities respond to systematic impunity and violations of citizens right by Government institutions? You will agree with me that, in the above listed conditions, the United States of America failed woefully In all and therefore doesn't deserve to be regarded as a civilized country. For the past one year, I have carefully and deliberately followed events in USA to understand how things operate and to my greatest surprise, many things happening in Nigeria that we, the citizens condemn so strongly, is almost similar to what is happening over there. But that is not the main issue, things can happen. What I tried to observe is government responses when things happen. Like Nigeria, their are sacred cows, the untouchables who get away with anything, no matter how criminal and grave. Rather than prosecute the culprits, they are shielded by Government. Accuse them as much as you like, write as much petition or supply as much evidences, they are never going to face any consequences for their wrong actions. They are parts of the establishment and therefore cannot be punished. What about the US politics? Election fraud, right from the primaries. Dirty politics, circled around personalities, not issues. While it is true, that we have some excellent personalities in US, we can't ignore the fact that, US, like Nigeria, plays a dirty politics. Evidences available indicate that, acting dirty is the order, while decency is an exception. In view of this, I still hold the view that, US is far away from being an ideal country to be referred to as a civilized country.
brilliant observation this is,but I think when people refer to America as a civilized nation,most of the time they are looking at their infrastructure,entertainment,technology,etc.Now let's talk about politics and compare America with most african countries,do American politicians starve their own people and spend most of the country's budget on private jets? Ithink not,we all know African leaders are always on vacations.look at people like Mugabe,can someone tell me why he is called the greatest african leader?I mean the only thing that he did was kick all white people out of Zimbabwe and all of a sudden he is hailed as a king,and they forget that it was the same king who killed 20thousand of his own people. Those pics you posted are a clear indication that freedom of expression is allowed in the US,now can Africans do the same in Africa? The truth is,African leaders hate being critizised.when an African dictator fears losing power to a new president,he rigs the votes or he can resort to Africa's pastime(civil wars)......my observation

1 Like

Re: US Is Not A Civilized Country by falopey: 7:33pm On Oct 07, 2016
Someone called a dog Buhari the other day and they called for the guy's head.

1 Like

Re: US Is Not A Civilized Country by Nobody: 2:52am On Oct 08, 2016
falopey:
Someone called a dog Buhari the other day and they called for the guy's head.
exactly my point
Re: US Is Not A Civilized Country by mrrights: 9:07am On Oct 08, 2016
What point exactly are you making?
Re: US Is Not A Civilized Country by Nobody: 10:24am On Oct 08, 2016
mrrights:
What point exactly are you making?
you didn't get it?

Read my original post,maybe you might just figure it out...this aint no trigonometry shocked
Re: US Is Not A Civilized Country by mrrights: 9:46am On Oct 09, 2016
I read it,but didn't understand how that is connected with the subject
Re: US Is Not A Civilized Country by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 09, 2016
For good, positive and honest report of the Nigerian state and its contributions to the improvement of human relations all over the world, kindly visit & subscribe to www.thenigeriandiplomat.com and www.positivenaija.com
Re: US Is Not A Civilized Country by Nobody: 10:30pm On Oct 09, 2016
mrrights:
I read it,but didn't understand how that is connected with the subject
what I'm saying is that when people talk of America as civilized nation they don't mean for the reasons you mentioned
Re: US Is Not A Civilized Country by mrrights: 8:35pm On Oct 10, 2016
What reason do they mean?
Re: US Is Not A Civilized Country by Nobody: 8:20pm On Oct 11, 2016
mrrights:
What reason do they mean?
civilization,most industrialized nation,advanced technology,epicenter of entertainment,their influencial urban cultures,I can go on an on

As for politics we can all agree that they are plad dirty but then again,that's the case in every country

(1) (Reply)

TRUMP OR CLINTON: Who Is Better For Africa? / BREAKING! The FBI Says There Is No Connection Between Donald Trump And Russia / Can USA Overcome China In War?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.