Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,780 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

419ers Take Over Facebook - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / 419ers Take Over Facebook (9520 Views)

10 Reasons To Choose Echatbook Over Facebook / Beware: News44.org Virus Takes Over Facebook And Twitter / 419ers In D House Using Free Browsing 2 Hold Us 4 Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by taxanalyst(m): 8:39pm On Oct 20, 2009
It has happened to me too. In my own case, the scammers used the fake profile to send messages to my friends asking them to send their CV to a particular email address as my company was recruiting. I work for an oil company and naturally a lot of them responded accordingly.
The scammers now upped the ante by sending sms to the phone numbers of those who responded informing them that they have been shortlisted for a job test and asking them to pay money to a couple of bank accounts (UBA & BankPHB)to  help facilitate the process.

I got wind of it when one of my friends called to inquire if I was really the one responsible for the request for money as it was odd. I quickly alerted facebook about the fake profile page and reported the matter to the police to avoid any potential backlash from my employer if it gets to their knowledge.

Thankfully, none of my friends paid any money and facebook has shut down the scam profile page. But everyone needs to be vigilant and yes, Nigerians are mostly responsible for these scams.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by BADLEE: 9:02pm On Oct 20, 2009
This is serious, owning to the fact that Nigeria is the highest facebook users in Africa, Nigeria should stop this habit of ruining our image abroad, if facebook bans Nigerians, the only other social network that is tantalizing like face book is www.naijahotsingles.com though the site is owned by a Nigerian, but i think himself will ban Nigerians as well if they repeat this scaming behavior in naijahotsingles.

God save this country.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Rooneyboy(m): 9:13pm On Oct 20, 2009
Yahoo guys ! This guys r too brilliant but y arent they using their brilliance for positive things ?
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Rooneyboy(m): 9:18pm On Oct 20, 2009
And y wouldnt i deny my nationality ?
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by denzel2009: 9:29pm On Oct 20, 2009
Its a real shame. Here in UK, they aired a programme about nigerian scammers renting out fake properties.

All they do is put an advert on property sites,if you are unlucky and respond, you will be required to send a western union to yourself or reliable person of your choice as an evidence that you can pay the rent( Its is usually over £1000) and then scan a copy to them.

Before you say Jack Robinson, they will make an ID on the recipients name and collect the money from Western Union. I pitied an Oyinbo crying on TV the other day.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by justwise(m): 9:38pm On Oct 20, 2009
denzel2009:

Its a real shame. Here in UK, they aired a programme about nigerian scammers renting out fake properties.

All they do is put an advert on property sites,if you are unlucky and respond, you will be required to send a western union to yourself or reliable person of your choice as an evidence that you can pay the rent( Its is usually over £1000) and then scan a copy to them.

Before you say Jack Robinson, they will make an ID on the recipients name and collect the money from Western Union. I pitied an Oyinbo crying on TV the other day.

I did not see the program, which channel was that?
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by MUZBO(m): 9:55pm On Oct 20, 2009
The first rule of the CON says: 'You cannot con an honest man.' So I dont blame some people but if you ride on people's pity to dupe them then may God allow the devil poke you like you do em on FB.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by guysmat(m): 9:57pm On Oct 20, 2009
Every freaking 419er claims to be a Nigerian  undecided

Nigeria is now the "fall guy country".
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by justwise(m): 10:06pm On Oct 20, 2009
MUZBO:

The first rule of the[b] CON says: 'You cannot con an honest man.[/b]' So I dont blame some people but if you ride on people's pity to dupe them then may God allow the devil poke you like you do em on FB.

Nonsense! they Con every living soul, they got no rule and there is no excuse for their evil activities
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by dnative(m): 10:31pm On Oct 20, 2009
denzel2009:

hmmn
Maga fall, guyman chop
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by phuckNL: 10:32pm On Oct 20, 2009
justwise:

Nonsense! they Con every living soul, they got no rule and there is no excuse for their evil activities

Calm down. You too dey "be" like oyakhilome. You be fish?
Anyway, what the statement implies is that : It is usually greedy people that get scammed by yahoo yahoo guys. You are not an honest man if you believe someone who owns 1billion dollars in africa and needs you to help him stash it abroad. Keyword is usually.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by justwise(m): 11:08pm On Oct 20, 2009
phuck_NL:

Calm down. You too dey "be" like oyakhilome. You be fish?
Anyway, what the statement implies is that : It is usually greedy people that get scammed by yahoo yahoo guys. You are not an honest man if you believe someone who owns 1billion dollars in africa and needs you to help him stash it abroad. Keyword is usually.

I don't feel sorry for the so called victims in the case i bolded in your post,  but how about the issue of identity theft?  The facebook issue is the case at hand, pple got ripped off.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by routik(m): 11:18pm On Oct 20, 2009
Those scammers are reading this post as well and will never give up to there cheap strategies that works on fools, idiots and greedy people.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Rooneyboy(m): 11:34pm On Oct 20, 2009
Yeah bro completely agree with u on that , only greedy people will fall to the tricks of scammers.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Rooneyboy(m): 11:40pm On Oct 20, 2009
denzel2009:

some of this yahoo guys r reading through , r u aware of it that ur lecturing some of them ?
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Utaroz(m): 11:52pm On Oct 20, 2009
Sad, Sad, sad, sob! embarassed
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by semid4lyfe(m): 12:36am On Oct 21, 2009
Na real wa o! These '19 boiz have given Nigeria a bad name and are really denting our image.
So much for the rebranding effort!
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by proproman(m): 1:21am On Oct 21, 2009
@MUZBO. You dey watch series gan. Hustle abi. Well, since Adrian Lester (Mickey Bricks or Michael Stone) is black, we might as say he's Nigerian.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Princek12(m): 1:34am On Oct 21, 2009
justwise:

I don't feel sorry for the so called victims in the case i bolded in your post,  but how about the issue of identity theft?  The facebook issue is the case at hand, pple got ripped off.
guysmat:

Every freaking 419er claims to be a Nigerian  undecided

Nigeria is now the "fall guy country".
S@mi:

Anyway I can never agree that nigerians are the only one involve in this internet 419 prank they are some other countries like russia, indians and they are mainly hackers and computer gurus so i see no reason why they keeps calling nigeria whenever an evil act occure.

You guys can be in denial if you want, but most 419ers are from Nigeria. Also, being in denial instead of unequivocally condemning this behavior is only fueling the problem, because the 419ers can perpetrate their acts and hide behind the veil that the act is perpetrated by people from another country. In short, this 419 behavior has reached an epidemic state and has become a substantial and imminent threat to the image of Nigeria as well as Nigerians locally and in the diaspora, to the point that there is a great degree of international consensus that most Nigerians are presumptively scammers and criminals.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by yommyuk: 2:05am On Oct 21, 2009
I recieved 2 emails today from these yahoo boys. It is disgusting
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Nobody: 2:05am On Oct 21, 2009
The 6th Reason I'm not on Facebook. . .
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by chukudibab(m): 2:16am On Oct 21, 2009
9ja awwww crime here n there. This world way go soon end na here e go start. cry grin
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by davidif: 2:59am On Oct 21, 2009
WHAT A USESLESS COUNTRY. WHERE IS 'THE AMAKA' WHO ALWAYS LOVES TO BE SUPER PATRIOTIC?
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by linkin8k(m): 3:34am On Oct 21, 2009
naija nawa
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by kosovo(m): 4:49am On Oct 21, 2009
why is everyone complaining,? shocked Nigeria is just 5th in the world,. right behind CHINA, RUSSIA, USA and INDIAN.
  so why the rants?
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by compgeek(m): 6:23am On Oct 21, 2009
Like honestly, whom are we kidding?
Nigeria is full of alot of thieves and cons. From ATM scams to yahoo yahoo to false employment agencies, Now Facebook!!

Where will it end
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by ibgreat(m): 7:36am On Oct 21, 2009
But this report you posted does neither mentioned the country nor the continent. Why are u so sure that all were perpetrated by Nigerians?

At least, from your post, 100,000 cases have been reported so far.

Please don't let's be joining hands to tarnish the already damaged brand of our country.

Thank you.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by kosovo(m): 7:46am On Oct 21, 2009
Entire Nigeria = SCAM cool
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by na2day2(m): 8:03am On Oct 21, 2009
this is serious matter oo shocked shocked
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by phuckNL: 8:06am On Oct 21, 2009
davidif:

WHAT A USESLESS COUNTRY. WHERE IS 'THE AMAKA' WHO ALWAYS LOVES TO BE SUPER PATRIOTIC?

Why won't she be patriotic. She was born and bred in America. Americans don't accept them so they don't have a choice than to be shouting Naija until i die, or naija 4 eva. Meanwhile most of them can't even speak any nigerian language. Dem go dey dia they lecture those of us in Nigeria on how to be Nigerian. Pathetic bunch.

Anyway, yahoo boys are not denting Nigeria's image. Your image can only be dented if it is good. Naija has always been phucked.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by sayso: 8:10am On Oct 21, 2009
If you want to let them.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by princekevo(m): 8:15am On Oct 21, 2009
News like this sometimes make me wanna denounce my citizenship as a Nigerian.
I don't even blame the so called FBI even when some scam cant be traced to Nigerians, is already registered in their mind that Nigerians are the only scammers we have on earth, coz even our leaders are very good example of it with their money laundry and corruption.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Swiftband Gives You Unlimited Internet With Swift 4G/LTE / How Do You Play Swf On Windows 10? / How Can I Convert Etisalat Sim 4rm Edge To 3g?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.