Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,699 members, 7,816,857 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

419ers Take Over Facebook - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / 419ers Take Over Facebook (9521 Views)

10 Reasons To Choose Echatbook Over Facebook / Beware: News44.org Virus Takes Over Facebook And Twitter / 419ers In D House Using Free Browsing 2 Hold Us 4 Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by phuckNL: 8:18am On Oct 21, 2009
princekevo:

News like this sometimes make me wanna denounce my citizenship as a Nigerian.
I don't even blame the so called FBI even when some scam cant be traced to Nigerians, is already registered in their mind that Nigerians are the only scammers we have on earth, coz even our leaders are very good example of it with their money laundry and corruption.

You've denounced your citizenship already, you just don't know it. shocked
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Ben13: 8:39am On Oct 21, 2009
Naija is the best. Our brains are beyond imaginations kiss
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by fyneguy: 8:48am On Oct 21, 2009
The irony of it all is that some of these scammers would contribute to this thread
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by justwise(m): 8:51am On Oct 21, 2009
fyneguy:

The irony of it all is that some of these scammers would contribute to this thread

Tell me abt it. they are all over this site advertising for one bogus product or another.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by cliveland: 9:11am On Oct 21, 2009
they are on every site in the world. with their little minds n gutter tots. God will surely help innocent n hardworking naijas, its a shame. even here on nairaland lots of them are here. i ve received several mails claiming to ve gone thru my profile actually one sent me one on my yahoo mail account n d puzzle is there's nothing on my profile to mention of. scammers made abandon my faceparty account n perhaps d reason am not on facebook

IT guys shd come up with something to help savage whatever image is left of us
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by princekevo(m): 9:14am On Oct 21, 2009
phuck_NL:

You've denounced your citizenship already, you just don't know it. shocked

Why do you think so?
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by nich(m): 9:20am On Oct 21, 2009
there would always be wolves in sheep clothing that even the shephard may not be able to identify them. However, we have these peeps around us for real. Most of us here can admit that we at one point in time or anoda know/knew one yahoo boy/girl whom we just thot to be harmless or a victim of circumstance. We'd be so shocked the day we find out the level of 'achievements' accomplished by these peeps.

Ma point? the ish is in our hands. the future is in our hands. we have the power to reduce the troubles to a 'minimum'. same applies for all forms of crime.
Arise O Compatriots!
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by dtwsola(m): 9:45am On Oct 21, 2009
You people are getting all excited over a story posted on some blog, by another Nigerian for that matter. Quite an overreaction. I think the whole 419 thing is overblown these days. Most of the high level internet scamming that is successful these days is coming from Eastern Europe (esp Russia) , as well as China. This scamming is carried out by 'well educated' individuals finding vulnerabilities and hacking into computer networks for banks, government organizations, and other institutions. Our local 'yahoo' boys that are still sending out communications in poorly written English and hoping for bait are not finding much success in the scamming business anymore. I don't think that we're even close to being the number one scamming nation on earth. Nobody sees a Russian and automatically thinks he/she must be a scammer. Nigerians should not have to deal with these negative stereotypes, especially given the facts.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by lawrence83: 9:47am On Oct 21, 2009
dtw_sola:

You people are getting all excited over a story posted on some blog, by another Nigerian for that matter. Quite an overreaction. I think the whole 419 thing is overblown these days. Most of the high level internet scamming that is successful these days is coming from Eastern Europe (esp Russia) , as well as China. This scamming is carried out by 'well educated' individuals finding vulnerabilities and hacking into computer networks for banks, government organizations, and other institutions. Our local 'yahoo' boys that are still sending out communications in poorly written English and hoping for bait are not finding much success in the scamming business anymore. I don't think that we're even close to being the number one scamming nation on earth. Nobody sees a Russian and automatically thinks he/she must be a scammer. Nigerians should not have to deal with these negative stereotypes, especially given the facts.
I love this.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by justwise(m): 9:55am On Oct 21, 2009
dtw_sola:

Does that make it right?
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by dramenda(f): 10:08am On Oct 21, 2009
ma
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by alfchye(m): 10:13am On Oct 21, 2009
I can bet Hundred million dollars tht the face book stuff is not from Nigeria, This are done by most  people from Alabnia, Vietnam or Romania and they all have yahoo yahoo friends in Nigeria who can help them pick up this amount anytime any day. So it is sent to Nigeria  and the Nigerians in turn return certain percentage to them in their countries
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by scorpio1(m): 10:51am On Oct 21, 2009
This Level of scam was never started by Nigerians, it originated from the hackers in the middle east and India, a few Nigerians might have learnt it from these hackers(they always have open forums where they share these exploits)why then will FBI and the world now turn all the blame to Nigerians,we are always the scape goat and foolishly enough we readily accept it willingly, I did an investigation into this when it happened to me and i found out that a Turkish hacker was responsible.
Stop harassing Nigerians, Chikena!
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Nezan(m): 10:56am On Oct 21, 2009
Why? why? why? This is getting to ridiculous levels.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by toriman: 11:03am On Oct 21, 2009
The yahoo boyz learnt from the master which were Americans and they have now become a problem to them too, the only thing that makes me unhappy is the name of my beloved country NIGERIA, God save us.Amen cry
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by justwise(m): 11:04am On Oct 21, 2009
alfchye:

I can bet Hundred million dollars tht the face book stuff is not from Nigeria, This are done by most  people from Alabnia, Vietnam or Romania and they all have yahoo yahoo friends in Nigeria who can help them pick up this amount anytime any day. So it is sent to Nigeria  and the Nigerians in turn return certain percentage to them in their countries

Stop talking dust. Only if u are behind the facebook thing. I wish u have that hundred million to bet.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by mrofficial(m): 11:27am On Oct 21, 2009
Brute Force working by these Arabs
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by dove24u(m): 11:29am On Oct 21, 2009
Unfortunately, these crimes are committed by NIGERIANS!

It has happened to me and it also happened to a friend. Fortunately for me, it was resolved on time. For my friend, he had to open a new facebook account to warn all his friends.

My Experience:
I woke up one morning only to realise that I couldn't log into facebook again. I tried my password and it didnt work. I tried logging in into my yahoo account cos I use the same password and it worked so I knew it wasn't a problem with my password. Fortunately, facebook guys had also noticed 'malicious' tampering of my account and they had sent me a mail to my yahoo account. They adviced me to change the password which I did immediately.

By the time I logged in to facebook, 'someone' had sent my friends some funny message asking them to click on a link. The link will take you to a fake facebook page where if you enter your password, it will be stolen. I immediately sent a mail to all my friends not to click it and shared my experience.

My Friend's Experience.
Unfortunately, some of my friends had clicked on that link and thus exposed their passwords to these 419 guys. Luckily though, they quickly remedied it when they saw my mail and changed their password by writing to facebook customer service.
This particular friend of mine couldn't change his for one reason or another. The next thing I knew, he was 'online' one day and told me he had just gotten into trouble with some 'jamo' guys. He asked me to send him money if possible. Now this friend of mine is in the US. I asked him how much and he said £800. It was at that time I knew something was amiss. Im not sure anyone in UK or US will ask you to loan him that amount just like that. So I asked him how far with his mum and if she's feeling better (my real friend's mum died years ago) and he replied that he actually needed the money for his mum that she was sick and that I should send it to his friend in Nigeria. I went on to collect the details of that 'his friend' but couldn't do anything about it. My intention was to find a way of getting the police to arrest him.

Anyways, immediately I sent this my friend a mail and he replied that I wasn't the first person that about three of his friends had either called or mailed him too asking him if he was the one. Infact one of our mutual friends in Nigeria had almost paid in 20,000naira into the account the guy gave her. Luckily for her she was on facebook that day and was asking me if I heard what happened to this friend of ours (apparently he had told her the jamo story too) and I warned her not to pay the money as the guy's a 419er. She said if I had not warned her, she was going to pay it the next day.

Now Im not sure if anyone fell for the prank but this thief used my friend's facebook ID for over a week. My friend had to open another one afresh and warn most of his friends.

Its sad that these people have decided to spoil the name Nigeria and thus Nigerians. It also sad that government is doing nothing except rebranding which isn't the way forward. However, I am not surprised, the biggest 419ers are in Government.

Once bitten twice shy. Shine your eye and be wise  shocked shocked shocked
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Nobody: 11:30am On Oct 21, 2009
My collegues account was cloned and the fraudsters were asking for donations from people. My collegue lured them down to Abuja to come and collect $16000, the idiots came. See the small boys, they flogged the hell out of the boys made them slap each other and took hem to police station. Can you beleive that these boys parents were quite rich and the mom of the other was a magistrate, she flew in that night from PH, she thought the boy was in school, the other boys father works in shell in PH. The idiots lied that they were coming from Ghana, those boys were in school, 200 and 300 level law. Their parents did not even know they were ou of school
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by lovemoi2(f): 11:30am On Oct 21, 2009
Lord Have Mercy
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by yommys01(m): 11:38am On Oct 21, 2009
How are we sure they letters are being sent by Nigerians? I wonder why the FBI is being stupid. Does it mean every online scam is coming from Nigeria?
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by lovemoi2(f): 11:40am On Oct 21, 2009
yommys01:

How are we sure they letters are being sent by Nigerians? I wonder why the FBI is being stupid. Does it mean every online scam is coming from Nigeria?

majority comes from 9ja, as some of the people here said, the money is sent or wired to nigeria, that should be enough prove, we can only pray for God's mercy, cos this whole scaming thing is making nigerians hated by so many countries
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by tourmaline(f): 11:43am On Oct 21, 2009
these days we have to be xtracareful. i am pissed at people saying its Nigeria alone though it doesnt make it right but guyz shd stop screaming nigeria as if that the only country on the planet. Some guys route money to nigeria from the uk and sometimes to Ghana. I pray God delivers Nigeria cos some of us are losing wonderful opportunities cos of the bad name we have earned. God Save Us cry
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by obstead200(m): 11:45am On Oct 21, 2009
In a way, i greatly admire these yahoo guys. they have shown themselves to be individuals of great imagination and innovativeness. even though the only use it in evil ways.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by lovemoi2(f): 11:48am On Oct 21, 2009
obstead200:

In a way, i greatly admire these yahoo guys. they have shown themselves to be individuals of great imagination and innovativeness. even though the only use it in evil ways.

there is nottin admirable in a THIEF
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by mygladness: 11:58am On Oct 21, 2009
Should we take it that some of the culprits are responding already to justify their nefarious acts?

The argument of some of the posters here is a cause for concern.

Should we say the yahoo boys continue because Nigeria is the 5th country of the world in scammed business?

Why is anyone so sure the FB scam did not originate from Nigeria despite the experience shared on this thread?

Why shouldn't we condemn this because our leaders are corrupt?

Even if the whole world is dubious, why Nigeria? Isn't it better that we are known for good rather than for bad?

Doesn't it bother us, the kind of treatment Nigerians receive when travelling outside this country the moment u present the green passport?

That the victims are greedy is not an excuse.

Let us all condemn this evil act that is tarnishing the image of honest Nigerians and Nigeria, 419 is bad.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Trills(m): 12:08pm On Oct 21, 2009
The craze to make money big time, fast and hard as overtaken our mentality.
I stand to be corrected 50% of men, if not above are into fraudulent business, calling it ruins.
You can't really blame them cos they are hailed and idolized by their peers and surprisingly their superiors.
A country that doesn't place value for anything small and good, shouldn't be complaining when things like this are said or heard bout it.
And those of you complaining bout the situation, haven't seen the kind of monetary gain gotten by this peeps.
Saw a naked guy in Okota, sitting and laughing on his car after a major hit.
Do expect more, cos this is just the beginning.
We haven't even started talking bout the big Daddy of them all; BG (Bank Guarantee).
Which is semi-legitimate and involves a Bank.
Bye for now.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Teminio: 12:09pm On Oct 21, 2009
mygladness:

Should we take it that some of the culprits are responding already to justify their nefarious acts?

The argument of some of the posters here is a cause for concern.

Should we say the yahoo boys continue because Nigeria is the 5th country of the world in scammed business?

Why is anyone so sure the FB scam did not originate from Nigeria despite the experience shared on this thread?

Why shouldn't we condemn this because our leaders are corrupt?

Even if the whole world is dubious, why Nigeria? Isn't it better that we are known for good rather than for bad?

Doesn't it bother us, the kind of treatment Nigerians receive when travelling outside this country the moment u present the green passport?

That the victims are greedy is not an excuse.

Let us all condemn this evil act that is tarnishing the image of honest Nigerians and Nigeria, 419 is bad.

Well said! Isn't it ridiculous that criminals, thieves are being admired. God save Nigeria and Nigerians.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by clomn(m): 12:19pm On Oct 21, 2009
YOU PEOPLE ARE THE ONES CONDEMNING NIGERIANS. WHAT OF THE LEBANESE, INDIANS, YANKEES, CHINESE, RUSSIANS AND EVEN BRAZILIANS. THESE ARE THE WORLD FAMOUS FRAUDSTERS.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Nestoville(m): 12:21pm On Oct 21, 2009
Sisi_Kill:

Like they aren't doing the same thing on Nairaland? 

Sisi Kill are you who I think you are? That name Sisi and your writings! hmmmmmm, sorry if I am wrong.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by justwise(m): 12:21pm On Oct 21, 2009
obstead200:

U must be a thief

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Swiftband Gives You Unlimited Internet With Swift 4G/LTE / How Do You Play Swf On Windows 10? / How Can I Convert Etisalat Sim 4rm Edge To 3g?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.