Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? (5921 Views)

Some Inspirational Bible Characters You Should Model Yourself After Them / 10 Bible Characters Of Great Faith / Assume All Bible Characters Are Black, Here Is How They Will Look (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by Omooba77: 1:43pm On Oct 08, 2016
Are Bible Characters like Adam,Eve, Abraham,Moses,Joshua, David,Goliath,Daniel, Jesus, Peter,Paul real. If they are not fictitious personalities; why do some people still doubt reality of God ?
Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by hahn(m): 2:26pm On Oct 08, 2016
They are all fictitious. Especially Jehovah

No need to argue, here is the list:

Adam
Eve
Abraham
Moses
Joshua
David
Goliath
Daniel
Jesus
Peter
Paul

Just provide proof, other than the bible, that they ever existed.

undecided

3 Likes

Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by Deicide: 2:36pm On Oct 08, 2016
/

2 Likes

Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by CAPSLOCKED: 2:38pm On Oct 08, 2016
me: SUPERMAN IS REAL, HE'S THE SAVIOUR OF THE UNIVERSE.
non believer: WHERE'S YOUR PROOF?

me: *hands out a DC comic book. YOU SEE,.. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by Omooba77: 2:53pm On Oct 08, 2016
hahn:
They are all fictitious. Especially Jehovah

No need to argue, here is the list:

Adam
Eve
Abraham
Moses
Joshua
David
Goliath
Daniel
Jesus
Peter
Paul

Just provide proof, other than the bible, that they ever existed.

undecided

Archeologists escavations nko?
Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by hahn(m): 3:12pm On Oct 08, 2016
Omooba77:

Archeologists escavations nko?

That will do.

Provide links please

1 Like

Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by PastorAIO: 4:04pm On Oct 08, 2016
Omooba77:
Are Bible Characters like Adam,Eve, Abraham,Moses,Joshua, David,Goliath,Daniel, Jesus, Peter,Paul real. If they are not fictious personalities; why do some people still doubt reality of God ?

First evidence. (you may not like it).

Merneptah Stele.

this is a victory stele of a king of Egypt. It mentions the destruction of Israel in the 13th century BC.

Many just say that the language is hyperbole.

The Canaan has been plundered into every sort of woe:
Ashkelon has been overcome;
Gezer has been captured;
Yano'am is made non-existent.
Israel is laid waste and his seed is not;

merneptah stele lines 28 -31

However there is another possibility that no one seems to be considering. That there was an original country called Israel that was completely destroyed and those claiming Israel till today are upstarts.

Second Evidence.

The Tel Dan Stele

On this victory stele by the King of Damascus he boasts about having destroyed the 'House of David'.

Of course this is not a direct reference to a person called David but at least it shows that there was at the time a dynasty that claimed to be descended from David. How true was this? We can't tell. About as true as the claim that the Ooni of Ife is descended from Oduduwa, I guess. Or the claim by Alexander the Great that he was descended from Zeus. Or any other royal line that has claimed to be descended from a God or a famous historical/mythological personage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by Niflheim(m): 4:08pm On Oct 08, 2016
Adam was obviously fictitious!!! There is no such thing as a first man(Just as there is no such thing as a first gonorrhea)!!!
Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by Greatzeus(m): 4:59pm On Oct 08, 2016
Omooba77:
Are Bible Characters like Adam,Eve, Abraham,Moses,Joshua, David,Goliath,Daniel, Jesus, Peter,Paul real. If they are not fictious personalities; why do some people still doubt reality of God ?
Is your existence real or fictitious Is the nation of is real real or fictitious Egypt,Syria,Philistine,Arabia,Ethiopia, Greece,Rome,Babylon and numerous other places mention in the bible thousands of years before civilization and modern means of transportation or communication,are they real or fictitious, Jews servitude in Egypt,which cab be found among Egyptian hieroglyphs and books is it real or fictitious, or are Egyptians Christians too.
You don't have to believe in a faith,you have free choice, so don't live your life trying to prove to yourself that you are right for being an atheist or unbeliever,by discarding the infallible proof of the bible.
And no,I am not trying to convert you,die as an atheist grin that's your business, but stop throwing your hatred for Christianity or God on peoples' face.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by felixomor: 5:20pm On Oct 08, 2016
Greatzeus:

Is your existence real or fictitious Is the nation of is real real or fictitious Egypt,Syria,Philistine,Arabia,Ethiopia, Greece,Rome,Babylon and numerous other places mention in the bible thousands of years before civilization and modern means of transportation or communication,are they real or fictitious, Jews servitude in Egypt,which cab be found among Egyptian hieroglyphs and books is it real or fictitious, or are Egyptians Christians too.
You don't have to believe in a faith,you have free choice, so don't live your life trying to prove to yourself that you are right for being an atheist or unbeliever,by discarding the infallible proof of the bible.
And no,I am not trying to convert you,die as an atheist grin that's your business, but stop throwing your hatred for Christianity or God on peoples' face.

Thank u
Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by felixomor: 5:23pm On Oct 08, 2016
We are in the year 2016 AD.
And somebody is asking such a question.
I think u should ask first what 'A.D" means after 2016.

Then u would get some clue.
If really, u are after clues.
Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by PastorAIO: 6:19pm On Oct 08, 2016
Greatzeus:
Jews servitude in Egypt, which cab be found among Egyptian hieroglyphs and books is it real or fictitious, or are Egyptians Christians too.

This is utterly false. There is no record of Jewish servitude in Egypt.

And I suspect that this is the point that the OP is trying to make. Not that these places or people have never existed but rather that the stories that we have about them are so indelibly mixed with mythologies and inventions of all sorts that we can hardly say we know anything about them.

2 Likes

Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by sonofluc1fer: 6:22pm On Oct 08, 2016
Greatzeus:

IEgypt,Syria,Philistine,Arabia,Ethiopia, Greece,Rome,Babylon and numerous other places mention in the bible thousands of years.....
Wow. You're well versed in the tales of foreign lands.
Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by felixomor: 7:10pm On Oct 08, 2016
PastorAIO:

And I suspect that this is the point that the OP is trying to make. Not that these places or people have never existed but rather that the stories that we have about them are so indelibly mixed with mythologies and inventions of all sorts that we can hardly say we know anything about them.

U seem to know the OP's topic question more than him.
Kwantinue
cool
Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by felixomor: 7:18pm On Oct 08, 2016
sonofluc1fer:

Wow. You're well versed in the tales of foreign lands.

Just as u urself also depend on "foreign" education, use "foreign phone" and depend on "foreign" wikipedia and also typing in "foreign" language now.

Yeah right
cool
Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by sonofluc1fer: 7:26pm On Oct 08, 2016
felixomor:

Ignore me, pls. kiss Your ignorance rankles.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by Omooba77: 7:29pm On Oct 08, 2016
Greatzeus:

Oga;Im die hard follower of Jesus;just to prove a point,if we establish the fact that these people really exist.

1 Like

Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by felixomor: 7:30pm On Oct 08, 2016
sonofluc1fer:

Ignore me, pls. kiss Your ignorance rankles.

Eiya, because i exposed ur fallacy tu quoque. grin
Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by sonofluc1fer: 7:32pm On Oct 08, 2016
felixomor:

Eiya, because i exposed ur fallacy tu quoque. grin
Yeah, you always expose my fallacies. Just be a good Chrsitian and ignore me. You're so so empty.
Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by felixomor: 7:34pm On Oct 08, 2016
sonofluc1fer:

Yeah, you always expose my fallacies. Just be a good Chrsitian and ignore me. You're so so empty.

Hehehe shift to ad hominem,
Mscheww,
Yeye small devil.
Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by PastorAIO: 7:40pm On Oct 08, 2016
felixomor:

U seem to know the OP's topic question more than him.
Kwantinue
cool

I made a guess, that is why I said that 'I suspect ...'. I didn't say that I know what he means to say. The reason for my suspicion is that over the years with research it has been hard to find any historical accounts or evidence of these people in the bible outside of the bible itself. This issue has been brought up many times. And it has led many to dismiss the bible as largely fabrication.

I suspect that it is this same issue that the OP is getting at. But of course I could be wrong.

1 Like

Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by felixomor: 7:42pm On Oct 08, 2016
PastorAIO:

I made a guess, that is why I said that 'I suspect ...'. I didn't say that I know what he means to say. The reason for my suspicion is that over the years with research it has been hard to find any historical accounts or evidence of these people in the bible outside of the bible itself. This issue has been brought up many times. And it has led many to dismiss the bible as largely fabrication.

I suspect that it is this same issue that the OP is getting at. But of course I could be wrong.

Ok, good to admit u could be wrong
cool
Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by Greatzeus(m): 7:55pm On Oct 08, 2016
PastorAIO:

Pastoraio or whatever your name is, I made my point clearly from my post The bible is not fictitious, everyplace, everybody mentioned in the bible existed at the time,what was written about such a person existed or place existed at that time, simple.
I believe the bible cos its the word of God that works.
Some books of the bible were written thousands of years before Jesus came into the world,and you still expect to google and see those names bible used? Those lands were real but might have different names now.
If you don't want to believe something, you will always see reasons not to,no matter the evidence.
Pls did you believe the 7 wonders of the world really existed? If yes,and you don't believe bible stories because,what you heard might have been mixed with mythologies(sound senseless to me).
You believe in the hanging garden of Babylon,that was built about 580BC and vanished few centuries after,yet you didn't believe bible stories about Babylon were real , you believe that the great statute of Zeus was real (which seems impossible to build considering the level of technology then), You believe mausoleum, etc were real even though,there is no physical evidence that they ever did existed,the only evidence of their existence are written in books.
You see believe or disbelief what you want, that's your business, my only problem is bringing bible into it,so as to discredit it,if you don't believe it,its your choice,some people do,so leave them to what they believe.
You can't fight the bible and win,no one out of the powerful wealthy educated millions who did succeeded,talk less of you,confused disappointed folks,claiming to be atheist, whatever.
Disappointed there are so called people who say they believe but don't know what they believe,atheist are better than you,at least they don't believe.Pastor is just a name,many bear it to make a living that's all,I am not a pastor but I know what I believe and will "defend this faith delivered unto the saint "

1 Like

Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by Greatzeus(m): 8:04pm On Oct 08, 2016
Omooba77:

Oga;Im die hard follower of Jesus;just to prove a point,if we establish the fact that these people really exist.
OK sir
Thought you are one of many nairalanders always trying to discredit the bible and drag Christianity into mud.That's what prompted my reply
Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by Seun(m): 8:37pm On Oct 08, 2016
Omooba77:
Bible scholars believe that Adam, Eve, Abraham, Moses and Joshua are fictitious. Their stories were made up to give Jews identity and hope.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by Wilgrea7(m): 9:30pm On Oct 08, 2016
PastorAIO:

wow.. pastorAIO . i really support what you're saying.. most of the events in the bible are rather hard to swallow cuz of lack of evidence.. but i do believe the characters existed.. pls ride on sir.. your student is here
Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by Omooba77: 10:26pm On Oct 08, 2016
Seun:

Bible scholars believe that Adam, Eve, Abraham, Moses and Joshua are fictitious. Their stories were made up to give Jews identity and hope.
Bible is not fictitious.Noah's ark was found somewhere around Turkey;so many other infallible proofs
Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by PastorAIO: 12:26am On Oct 09, 2016
Greatzeus:
[size=1pt]
Pastoraio or whatever your name is, I made my point clearly from my post The bible is not fictitious, everyplace, everybody mentioned in the bible existed at the time,what was written about such a person existed or place existed at that time, simple.
Some books of the bible were written thousands of years before Jesus came into the world,and you still expect to google and see those names bible used? Those lands were real but might have different names now.
If you don't want to believe something, you will always see reasons not to,no matter the evidence.
Pls did you believe the 7 wonders of the world really existed? If yes,and you don't believe bible stories because,what you heard might have been mixed with mythologies(sound senseless to me).
You believe in the hanging garden of Babylon,that was built about 580BC and vanished few centuries after,yet you didn't believe bible stories about Babylon were real , you believe that the great statute of Zeus was real (which seems impossible to build considering the level of technology then), You believe mausoleum, etc were real even though,there is no physical evidence that they ever did existed,the only evidence of their existence are written in books.
You see believe or disbelief what you want, that's your business, my only problem is bringing bible into it,so as to discredit it,if you don't believe it,its your choice,some people do,so leave them to what they believe.
You can't fight the bible and win,no one out of the powerful wealthy educated millions who did succeeded,talk less of you,confused disappointed folks,claiming to be atheist, whatever.
Disappointed there are so called people who say they believe but don't know what they believe,atheist are better than you,at least they don't believe.Pastor is just a name,many bear it to make a living that's all,I am not a pastor but I know what I believe and will "defend this faith delivered unto the saint "[/size]

Just flailing about pointlessly. Just because you were caught out telling a big fat 'christian' lie. Or is a pious lie that they call it?

You said:

Greatzeus:
Jews servitude in Egypt, which cab be found among Egyptian hieroglyphs and books is it real or fictitious, or are Egyptians Christians too.

Abi, nor be you talk so? There is no record of Israelite captivity outside of the bible, definitely not on any Egyptian heiroglyphs or books.

I call you out and tell you that you are spewing nonsense and instead of taking correction or, if you think you can defend your stupid statement, bring proofs you go on a verbal rampage of inanities.

You're lying when you say that there are Egyptian hieroglyphs telling about Jewish slavery/servitude/whatever!! You're lying!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by yinkhar(f): 12:39am On Oct 09, 2016
Seun:

Mr Seun!!! you argue *alot* and u are on every thread to tackle out something
Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by PastorAIO: 12:49am On Oct 09, 2016
Greatzeus:
[size=0pt]
Disappointed there are so called people who say they believe but don't know what they believe,atheist are better than you,at least they don't believe.Pastor is just a name,many bear it to make a living that's all,I am not a pastor but I know what I believe and will "defend this faith delivered unto the saint "[/size]

Let me even address some of the BS you spew cos I'm sure it'll help to shed some light on the way of your pious wuruwuru.

Pastoraio or whatever your name is,
Can you not read? Or you need to visit opticians for prescription? My NL name is at the head of all my posts, All of them, so if you cannot grasp what my name is then you are dumber than I thought.

I believe the bible cos its the word of God ...

This is what you should have said from the beginning and just stayed there. You will remain safe as long as you remain cloistered in your daft superstitions and plead the Faith amendment (abi is it the Fifth). But if you make the mistake of breaching those boundaries, if you step outside of your faith cocoon ehn...? If you so much as dare ehn ...? (I'm wagging my finger at you here)

If you ever get it into your head to be pretentious enough to make a claim of rationality or historical/archaeological/scientific evidence, I'll be there like a bulldog to maul your deluded ass into shreds.

You hear me. I'm being generous. I allow you to play within the bounds of 'Faith' which substitutes as evidence for things not evidenced. Heb 11.1

But don't ever try to claim solid rational evidence for your infantile delusions.

That's all on that.

Some books of the bible were written thousands of years before Jesus came into the world

More BS! who dash bible thousands of years before Jesus? A few hundred years before Jesus and after, yes. Not thousands. Not even one thousand.

If you want to believe something you will see reasons no matter lack of evidence, or evidence to the contrary. Don't evoke evidence. You have none. Stick to your evidence of things not evidenced.

Pls did you believe the 7 wonders of the world really existed?
You I don't believe they existed. To be honest I haven't given them much thought. But the general scholarly consensus is that wonders such as the Hanging Gardens of Babylon were largely myth. Why? Because there is no corroborating evidence. Exactly the case with the bible. There is a lack of Corroborating evidence.

my only problem is bringing bible into it,so as to discredit it,if you don't believe it,its your choice,some people do,so leave them to what they believe.
I am happy to leave people to what they believe... As long as they do not impose these beliefs on others in such a way as to constitute a nasty nuisance of themselves. The only time when I'll jump out to maul your ass, as I've said, is when you want to claim more than baseless belief and start claiming hard evidence. If you try that you'd better come correct or the result will be very messy for you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by PastorAIO: 9:44am On Oct 09, 2016
Omooba77:

Bible is not fictitious.Noah's ark was found somewhere around Turkey;so many other infallible proofs

Ehen!!
Re: Are Bible Characters Real Or Fictitious? by raphieMontella: 12:38pm On Oct 09, 2016
felixomor:
We are in the year 2016 AD. And somebody is asking such a question. I think u should ask first what 'A.D" means after 2016.
Then u would get some clue. If really, u are after clues.
dont even go there... Ad my foot!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Muslims, Is This True? / There Is No Salvation By Faith Without Works--femi Aribisala / BBC Investigation Unveils Late Nigerian Pastor, TB Joshua’s Atrocities, Life Of

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.