Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,191 members, 7,811,493 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:01 PM

Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? (682 Views)

Atheist: How Do You Determine The Head In Your Marriage? / I Am An Atheist, How Will I Escape The Upcoming Ramadan Fasting / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? by Umartins1(m): 10:14am On Oct 09, 2016
I am not religious nor am I an atheist, smart people ought to have known where I belong. However, if you still don't, you will as we argue on.

Back to the question that is purposely directed at atheists: how do you explain karma since you are sceptical of the force(God) that controls all things?
Re: Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? by JackBizzle: 10:18am On Oct 09, 2016
Karma is just cause and effect.

1) Live by the sword, die by the sword
-if you keep killing people, one day, someone else will come and kill you out of revenge or hatred or fear.

4 Likes

Re: Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? by Umartins1(m): 10:32am On Oct 09, 2016
JackBizzle:
Karma is just cause and effect.

1) Live by the sword, die by the sword
-if you keep killing people, one day, someone else will come and kill you out of revenge or hatred or fear.

Just that? Nothing(no one) triggers a sword-man to slaughter another sword-man? Does it just happen by chance? Don't forget Newton's law; an object will continue to remain in its stationed position unless acted upon by an external force.
Re: Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? by JackBizzle: 10:41am On Oct 09, 2016
Umartins1:

Just that? Nothing(no one) triggers a sword-man to slaughter another sword-man? Does it just happen by chance? Don't forget Newton's law; an object will continue to remain in its stationed position unless acted upon by an external force.

Newton's law has nothing to do with what we are saying. Human beings and morality are not some inanimate matter for physics experiments.

And even if we go by Newton's law, wouldn't the killer or sword-killer be the external force? An external force being the architect of his own doom? If you throw a ball on a wall, wouldnt the ball bounce back on you?

This is not a matter of chance but series of actions that lead up to a finale or climax, if you will. The maltreatment of a child today can lead to the growth of Hitler tomorrow.

Case closed cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? by CltrAltDelicious(m): 10:47am On Oct 09, 2016
The universe is indifferent you doing good doesn't guarantee good things are going to happen to you... IMO

7 Likes

Re: Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? by Umartins1(m): 10:49am On Oct 09, 2016
JackBizzle:

Newton's law has nothing to do with what we are saying. Human beings and morality are not some inanimate matter for physics experiments.

And even if we go by Newton's law, wouldn't the killer or sword-killer be the external force? An external force being the architect of his own doom? If you throw a ball on a wall, wouldnt the ball bounce back on you?

This is not a matter of chance but series of actions that lead up to a finale or climax, if you will. The maltreatment of a child today can lead to the growth of Hitler tomorrow.

Case closed cool

I am still not satisfied. If I do evil, why should evil come back to me? Is evil programmed in such a way that, whenever I do evil it must come back? If yes, who/what programmed it?
Re: Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? by ifenes(m): 10:57am On Oct 09, 2016
Karma has nothing to do with gods or forces. It is An individual choice to balance their energy to achieve a higher vibration. Carrying too many negative energy mostly requires you doing it again/shifting to a parallel life. The energy needs to be balance to function well.

3 Likes

Re: Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? by freeman95(m): 11:05am On Oct 09, 2016
there's no such thing as karma

humans always want to stay away from pain,sadness and death

if evill befalls u, something must have happened
name a death or evil situation that didnt have a cause
Re: Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? by Elthugnificent(m): 11:10am On Oct 09, 2016
Well I am of the believe that karma is not entirely
exclusive. For instance, for the fact that you are a
vegetarian that doesn't guarantee that you won't be
attack by a loin if you find yourself in the loin dam.
Re: Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? by donnffd(m): 11:23am On Oct 09, 2016
Just like Gods, spirits, santa claus, and the fairy godmother, Karma is an imaginary effect that we humans wish would happen because we always want justice for bad and good deeds.

Sadly, the universe doesnt work like that and things just happen. That is precisely the reason we have a justice system so we ourselves can punish the bad since the universe wont do it for us.

2 Likes

Re: Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? by JackBizzle: 11:24am On Oct 09, 2016
Umartins1:

I am still not satisfied. If I do evil, why should evil come back to me? Is evil programmed in such a way that, whenever I do evil it must come back? If yes, who/what programmed it?

No....some people get away with evil.

2 Likes

Re: Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? by shadeyinka(m): 11:51am On Oct 09, 2016
As a theist, the only karma I know befalls people who ultimately reject the sovereignty of God in their lives by the choices they make.

Physical death isn't karma..the real karma takes place after death. A man will reap what he has down.
Re: Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? by freeman95(m): 11:52am On Oct 09, 2016
donnffd:
Just like Gods, spirits, santa claus, and the fairy godmother, Karma is an imaginary effect that we humans wish would happen because we always want justice for bad and good deeds.

Sadly, the universe doesnt work like that and things just happen. That is precisely the reason we have a justice system so we ourselves can punish the bad since the universe wont do it for us.

more like it brotherman

nice point of view
Re: Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? by Umartins1(m): 11:55am On Oct 09, 2016
freeman95:
there's no such thing as karma

But examples in the society prove otherwise.
Re: Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? by freeman95(m): 11:58am On Oct 09, 2016
Umartins1:

But examples in the society prove otherwise.
elaborate
Re: Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? by raphieMontella: 12:35pm On Oct 09, 2016
Umartins1:

some evil people go scot free...and some good people experience ''evil''...

1 Like

Re: Atheist, How Do You Explain Karma? by HomoSapiien: 1:11pm On Oct 09, 2016
raphieMontella:

some evil people go scot free...and some good people experience ''evil''...

End of Discussion.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Most Sensible Or Most Ridiculous Prayer Point You've Heard. / Watchout for Tb Joshua’s Prophecy Never Change / Pastor T.B Joshua Truly Saw It.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.