Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

1969 UK Ambassador: "Nigerians Choose Maximum Damage To Their Own Interests" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1969 UK Ambassador: "Nigerians Choose Maximum Damage To Their Own Interests" (607 Views)

Abandoned OJUKWU Aircraft Seized By Nigerian Government Since 1969 / What Really Caused The Nigerian Civil War Of 1967 - 1969? / Wedding Invitation Card Of Gen. Gowon In 1969 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

1969 UK Ambassador: "Nigerians Choose Maximum Damage To Their Own Interests" by canuck(m): 4:40pm On Oct 19, 2009
SOURCE: http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20091018/british_diplomats_091018/20091018/?hub=MontrealHome

Excerpt -

Until 2006, ambassadors retiring from their post or moving country traditionally sent a valedictory dispatch to London, offering their candid personal assessment of the country in which they had served.

(In 1969), David Hunt -- then high commissioner to Nigeria -- said the West African country's leaders had "a maddening habit of always choosing the course of action which will do the maximum damage to their own interests."

"Africans as a whole are not only not averse to cutting off their nose to spite their face; they regard such an operation as a triumph of cosmetic surgery," Hunt claimed in his letter.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I suppose this is where die-hard NLanders use a single, self-descriptive, and all-encompassing word - GBAM!
Re: 1969 UK Ambassador: "Nigerians Choose Maximum Damage To Their Own Interests" by canuck(m): 4:43pm On Oct 19, 2009
Reading the entire article, the diplomats' opinions of their host countries are also a classic example of British snobbery at it's peak sha!
Re: 1969 UK Ambassador: "Nigerians Choose Maximum Damage To Their Own Interests" by canuck(m): 7:10pm On Oct 19, 2009
. . .40 years later, and this is observation still true - How sad cry
Re: 1969 UK Ambassador: "Nigerians Choose Maximum Damage To Their Own Interests" by tarano: 9:50pm On Oct 19, 2009
Whao the statement "Africans as a whole are not only not averse to cutting off their nose to spite their face; they regard such an operation as a triumph of cosmetic surgery," is very ugly but was a candid picture of what was happening in the country at that time, This was the middle of the Nigerian Civil War,
, Imagine the gory scene of the massacares in the North and the 30 month pogrom such an event is very distasteful to a person with some civility,
, In my head I can picture Nigerian leaders (i.e. gowon) happy to inform their british Lords that the war (the self inflicting destruction) is going on well for the country, federal side, I guess good news, To the ambassador there is no winner the only loser is Nigeria itself.

(1) (Reply)

The Election Tribunal Sitting In Asaba Has Dismissed The Election Petition Filed / Who Stole Soludo's Papa / How Can We Stop Bode George From Claiming Illness To Leave Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.