Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,423 members, 7,812,240 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:30 AM

No Good Governance: No Winner For $5 Million African Leadership Prize - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Good Governance: No Winner For $5 Million African Leadership Prize (702 Views)

Jonathan Wins African Leadership Magazine Man Of The Year Award / Jonathan Favoured To Win $5mil Mo Ibrahim Prize For African Leadership / Bode George Wins African Leadership Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Good Governance: No Winner For $5 Million African Leadership Prize by POSAKOSA1(m): 6:30pm On Oct 19, 2009
The Ibrahim Prize for Achievement in African Leadership is awarded only to democratically elected heads of state who have left office in the past three years. That requirement limits the pool of contenders, eliminating the continent's strongmen leaders, some of whom have held onto power for decades.

The committee considered "some credible candidates" but could not select a winner, said former Botswana President Ketumile Masire, a board member of the group that awards the prize.

Created in 2007 by Sudan-born billionaire Mo Ibrahim, the prize awards $5 million over 10 years and $200,000 annually for life thereafter to encourage leadership that improves the prospects of people in the continent.
Ibrahim was asked at a news conference Monday about politicians who meet the award criteria but were not chosen, including former South African President Thabo Mbeki, former Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo and ex-Ghanaian President John Kufuor.

The prize's past recipients are former Mozambican President Joaquim Chissano and Botswana's former president, Festus Gontebanye Mogae.

"I made clear when I started the foundation that there may be years when a winner is not chosen and this is such a year," Ibrahim said.

Asked if the economic crisis had played a factor this year, Ibrahim said the prize committee "don't pay attention to my bank statement" and was independent of the foundation's board.
Mbeki was forced to step down last year and hand over power to an interim leader after losing the race for his party's leadership. The former South African leader, who helped broker Zimbabwe's unity government deal, was seen by some as favoring longtime Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe.

Mbeki also was heavily criticized for questioning the link between HIV and AIDS and his failure to act on the epidemic that killed about 300,000 South Africans during his tenure as president.

After serving two terms, Kufuor stepped aside without a fuss, marking Ghana's second successful hand-over, a milestone not just for the country but also for Africa as whole. However, the opposition at the time accused his administration of corruption.

Another favorite for the award was Obasanjo. Under him, Nigeria had eight tumultuous years of democracy, the longest period since independence from Britain in 1960. But corruption was rife and most of the country's people have remained desperately poor despite the nation's oil wealth.

This year's prize committee was chaired by former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan and included Nobel peace laureate Martti Ahtisaari of Finland, director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Mohamed ElBaradei, and former Irish President Mary Robinson.

Robinson said that if it had been a prize for excellence among European leaders this year "we wouldn't necessarily have so many getting a big prize. That's all I have to say."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091019/ap_on_re_eu/eu_african_prize
Re: No Good Governance: No Winner For $5 Million African Leadership Prize by puskin: 6:45pm On Oct 19, 2009
African leaders have never been known 4good governance. So, this shouldn't be a surprise. 2anyone.
Re: No Good Governance: No Winner For $5 Million African Leadership Prize by Beaf: 6:47pm On Oct 19, 2009
Yar Adua confuse de man sotey. . . embarassed
Re: No Good Governance: No Winner For $5 Million African Leadership Prize by POSAKOSA1(m): 6:47pm On Oct 19, 2009
I was gonna say: our leaders have stole much more; 5 million is NOTHING to the likes of Obasanjo.  grin grin grin grin
Re: No Good Governance: No Winner For $5 Million African Leadership Prize by puskin: 6:52pm On Oct 19, 2009
To think that they even nominated OBJ beats my imagination. undecided
Re: No Good Governance: No Winner For $5 Million African Leadership Prize by POSAKOSA1(m): 8:00pm On Oct 19, 2009
puskin:

Re: No Good Governance: No Winner For $5 Million African Leadership Prize by Epiphany(m): 8:28pm On Oct 19, 2009
puskin:

I tire for them too o! I dont know how Obj got on that list. Maybe it was an error

(1) (Reply)

TB Joshua Is Pernicious To Humanity - See Videos / London Man Kills Own Mum - After Accusing Her Of Being A Witch / Nma Sad Over Treatment Of Yar’adua Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.