Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,539 members, 7,847,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 01:12 PM

Judges Must Revenge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judges Must Revenge (1386 Views)

Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial / Judges Must Revenge / All Nigerian Judges Must Rule In Favor Of FG . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Judges Must Revenge by oneolajire(m): 1:30pm On Oct 13, 2016
Judges Must Revenge

It is high time the judges (and the judiciary) took their own pound of flesh on both the executive and the legislative arms of government by giving speedy and harsh judgement to any of the latter found guilty of corruption.

The commando style in which some judges were arrested last weekend was a shame on the hallowed personalities of the court. Reactions and counter-reactions have been made concerning their arrests as well as the commitment of the Buhari's administration to fighting corruption.

The opponents of Buhari has blamed him for arresting the judges like mere criminals, but it is still this same set of people who have been criticising Buhari for not convicting anyone bbeing prosecuted for corruption. These people pretend to make Buhari and the corruption fighting agencies the ones to be the judges to convict those accused of corruption.

It is not the duty of the president to prosecute or deliver judgement on anyone accused of corruption as this is the duty of the judiciary. Since the commencement of this administration, it's business as usual in the courts as only a handful have been convicted of corrupt enrichment, as this is a setback on the fight against corruption.

The judiciary should clean its rank and file in order to make the temple of justice a holy place. They should not allow the "partial" cleansing of the executive to go without a more severe reaction. The judiciary as an arm of the government should also clean both the executive and the legislative arms as well.

Bribery and any form of inducement must be shunned by the "lords" while unholy romance with the lawyers bust be avoided as well. Both the bar and the bench must brace up fo this assignment as it will be disgusting not to use their only tool-the courts- to cleanse other arms of the government.

I rest my case.
Re: Judges Must Revenge by solutionsnow: 11:03am On Oct 14, 2016
If judges don't revenge, I recommend a ten fold dose of the initial treatment the DSS gave them.

Why should the executive claim saints and make the judges look like morons?

It is time for all the arms of government to cleanse one another.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Judges Must Revenge by Ademat7(m): 7:47pm On Oct 14, 2016
Do me I do you,in a honest way tho

2 Likes

Re: Judges Must Revenge by solutionsnow: 1:32pm On Oct 15, 2016
Ademat7:

Yea, when right hand washes the left, and the left washes the right, both gets clean.

1 Like

Re: Judges Must Revenge by oneolajire(m): 11:38am On Oct 18, 2016
Ademat7:

If judges don't revenge, that means they have deliberately traded their position as the third arm of the government.
The judiciary should not water down its capability to dispense justice to the administration that wants change at all cost.
Re: Judges Must Revenge by oneolajire(m): 2:24pm On Oct 25, 2016
solutionsnow:

Yea, when right hand washes the left, and the left washes the right, both gets clean.

No hand must be left unclean
Re: Judges Must Revenge by oneolajire(m): 9:31am On Nov 04, 2016
solutionsnow:
If judges don't revenge, I recommend a ten fold dose of the initial treatment the DSS gave them.

Why should the executive claim saints and make the judges look like morons?

It is time for all the arms of government to cleanse one another.

If they don't, they are noting but puppets, no longer an arm of the government.
Re: Judges Must Revenge by freeze001(f): 10:16am On Nov 04, 2016
Op: One point to make clear, the judiciary does not prosecute, that is the role of the executive, under the direct supervision of the Presidency. The judiciary is designed to be an impartial umpire between accused persons and the state and then deliver judgment after diligent prosecution of a matter before the court. That said, I agree that the judiciary needs to up its game in fast tracking trials and ensuring less emphasis on technicalities particularly those that do not occasion a miscarriage of justice. I think they also need to come down really hard on prosecuting agencies that do shoddy jobs or come unprepared, disgrace them very well in open court and really make use of the power of committal for contempt as well as stiff fines for deliberate abuse of court processes.

oneolajire:

It is not the duty of the president to prosecute or deliver judgement on anyone accused of corruption as this is the duty of the judiciary. Since the commencement of this administration, it's business as usual in the courts as only a handful have been convicted of corrupt enrichment, as this is a setback on the fight against corruption.
Re: Judges Must Revenge by oneolajire(m): 10:52am On Nov 04, 2016
freeze001:
Op: One point to make clear, the judiciary does not prosecute, that is the role of the executive, under the direct supervision of the Presidency. The judiciary is designed to be an impartial umpire between accused persons and the state and then deliver judgment after diligent prosecution of a matter before the court. That said, I agree that the judiciary needs to up its game in fast tracking trials and ensuring less emphasis on technicalities particularly those that do not occasion a miscarriage of justice. I think they also need to come down really hard on prosecuting agencies that do shoddy jobs or come unprepared, disgrace them very well in open court and really make use of the power of committal for contempt as well as stiff fines for deliberate abuse of court processes.

Mind you, if the judiciary don't prosecute as you claimed, what about being the umpire as you said. No case has been successfully done away with by these "black and white" people. How can only the executive fight corruption when the judiciary and the courts are mere viewing centres?

My point is clear, the executive arm should not be allowed to remain corrupt the way it is and paint the judiciary "sinners". The judiciary should also help purge the system
Re: Judges Must Revenge by freeze001(f): 11:06am On Nov 04, 2016
oneolajire:

Mind you, if the judiciary don't prosecute as you claimed, what about being the umpire as you said. No case has been successfully done away with by these "black and white" people. How can only the executive fight corruption when the judiciary when the courts are mere viewing centres?

My point is clear, the executive arm should not be allowed to remain corrupt the way it is and paint the judiciary "sinners". The judiciary should also help purge the system

Maybe if u understood the meaning of prosecution and what it entails, you'd get my point better. The judiciary has its role to play and I substantially outlined them in my post which it appears u didn't quite comprehend. I'll leave u to ur thing anyways...
Re: Judges Must Revenge by BlackMbakara1(m): 11:15am On Nov 04, 2016
Singing i concur...
Re: Judges Must Revenge by oneolajire(m): 11:19am On Nov 04, 2016
freeze001:

Maybe if u understood the meaning of prosecution and what it entails, you'd get my point better. The judiciary has its role to play and I substantially outlined them in my post which it appears u didn't quite comprehend. I'll leave u to ur thing anyways...

Lol.

K, no problem with your explanation. If I may ask, what should the judiciary do to fight corruption in both the executive and legislative arms of the government?
Re: Judges Must Revenge by oneolajire(m): 11:23am On Nov 04, 2016
BlackMbakara1:
Singing i concur...

Yes oooooooo
Re: Judges Must Revenge by freeze001(f): 12:03pm On Nov 04, 2016
oneolajire:

Lol.

K, no problem with your explanation. If I may ask, what should the judiciary do to fight corruption in both the executive and legislative arms of the government?

The judiciary, beyond policing itself and providing practice directions in line with justice and equity cannot do anything until an issue is brought before it; the judiciary ie the judges doesn't investigate or file charges or argue whatever issues are before a court. That will be descending into the arena of dispute and giving ride to possible allegations of bias. That is why I said earlier that it is not the duty of the judiciary to prosecute.

Now, corruption issues are mostly criminal and therefore offensive to the society therefore the role of the judiciary is to pronounce punishment on erring offenders and keep them out of circulation, preferably incarcerated. Still they must uphold the law that assumes everyone including suspects and accused persons as innocent until proven guilty. However that will not happen until the prosecution bring their matters before the court.

Unfortunately, we have lots of instances of shoddy investigation thereby messing up evidence which will then end up with judgment in favour of the accused or unnecessary delays; that's why I said they should come down hard on such sloppy prosecutors and make use of their power of committal for contempt and abuse of court process. Since they are not part of the process of arrest and investigation, they cannot afford to be sentimental and deny a person his rights when the prosecution has not discharged the burden of proof of guilt beyond reasonable doubt.

Another thing d judges can do at the time of sentencing is to use the upper limits more. for instance if an offence is punishable with a term of no more than 7 years or an option of fine or both, d court gas discretion to sentence the convicted person to just 1yr or to pay only a fine and walk free. I rather expect the courts to sentence a guilty person to no less than 5yrs and still have same person pay heavy fines too so we don't have the case of the pension scam that basically went scot-free. It would be a good deterrent for prospective thieves.
Re: Judges Must Revenge by oneolajire(m): 12:49pm On Nov 04, 2016
freeze001:

The judiciary, beyond policing itself and providing practice directions in line with justice and equity cannot do anything until an issue is brought before it; the judiciary ie the judges doesn't investigate or file charges or argue whatever issues are before a court. That will be descending into the arena of dispute and giving ride to possible allegations of bias. That is why I said earlier that it is not the duty of the judiciary to prosecute.

Now, corruption issues are mostly criminal and therefore offensive to the society therefore the role of the judiciary is to pronounce punishment on erring offenders and keep them out of circulation, preferably incarcerated. Still they must uphold the law that assumes everyone including suspects and accused persons as innocent until proven guilty. However that will not happen until the prosecution bring their matters before the court.

Unfortunately, we have lots of instances of shoddy investigation thereby messing up evidence which will then end up with judgment in favour of the accused or unnecessary delays; that's why I said they should come down hard on such sloppy prosecutors and make use of their power of committal for contempt and abuse of court process. Since they are not part of the process of arrest and investigation, they cannot afford to be sentimental and deny a person his rights when the prosecution has not discharged the burden of proof of guilt beyond reasonable doubt.

Another thing d judges can do at the time of sentencing is to use the upper limits more. for instance if an offence is punishable with a term of no more than 7 years or an option of fine or both, d court gas discretion to sentence the convicted person to just 1yr or to pay only a fine and walk free. I rather expect the courts to sentence a guilty person to no less than 5yrs and still have same person pay heavy fines too so we don't have the case of the pension scam that basically went scot-free. It would be a good deterrent for prospective thieves.

I am not impressed. You haven't talked about breaking the unholy romance with corruption suspects as well as rejecting financial inducement from the politicians. I expected you to talk about how they can have financial autonomy against the begger's status they are presently which has made them vulnerable to bribes (judges are not angels as they are not immuned to inducement).

I expected you talk about removing the bottle-necks of delay tactics, having in mind that justice delayed is justice denied.

Seems you had a legal background, mine in engineering. Why didn't you talk about "soft judgement" for corrupt officials (see former IG police, Tafa Balogun and chief Bode George), when petty robbers are given strict sentences?

I believe the judiciary can help the security agents in their duties by organising seminars for them, so that they"ll be more effective in their fight against corruption.
Re: Judges Must Revenge by PaPPi1: 1:47pm On Nov 04, 2016
I tire for una. you guys Dont get it ba. Revenge!!!!!!!! go on revenge.
Re: Judges Must Revenge by oneolajire(m): 3:04pm On Nov 04, 2016
PaPPi1:
I tire for una. you guys Dont get it ba. Revenge!!!!!!!! go on revenge.

Lol, just doing our own thing with the platform created by nairaland

(1) (Reply)

Tribunal Takes STRONG Decision Against Edo Governor-elect Godwin Obaseki / Ondo Elections : Statistics And Number Of Registered Voters In All Lga's In Ondo / PHOTO: Wife Of Late Lt Col Abu And Children At His Burial Ceremony Yesterday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.