Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,576 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:30 AM

Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? (35082 Views)

Truck Driver Refuses To Overtake A Rolls Royce Phantom In Lagos (video) / Hyperloop Releases New Images :how Would You Like To Travel At 1200 Km/h / Top 10 Most Problematic Cars To Avoid When Buying A Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 5:22pm On Oct 23, 2016
adanny01:

This thing is so simple I get frustrated trying to get you grasp the concept.

What is the difference between vehicle (transmission) speed sensor, engine speed sensor and ABS/VSA speed sensor?

No differences! They are all one and the same thing in principle. They all measure the same thing called rotation. They all measure rotation of different parts. One for tachometer, the next for speedometer and the last for ABS. They do the same thing and work exactly the same way.

The only difference is that that of tachometer is not changed in unit of measure but the one for speedometer needs calibration to change unit of measure from rotation to km/h or mph. How hard can that be?

These are not sensors that easily go bad to be replaced. In most cases it's their harness that gets broken or physical damage to it. Changing any speed sensor does not take 5mins which entails disconecting the connector and losing the usually 10mm bolt that holds it in place.

If you want to know if I ever did remove one, yes, i changed CPK (crank shaft position sensor) and ABS sensors. As a matter of fact, I worked on a friends 2010 accord 3 days ago with the scan below.
This is getting quiet annoying seriously by saying you are getting FRUSTRATED, it is not by force or a MUST that you must post a RESPONSE, so why the frustration
Anyway I'm done with this angry angry

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 5:22pm On Oct 23, 2016
ableguy:

so you are in essence saying that people change cars because of speed?
you could say that.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 7:18pm On Oct 23, 2016
erico2k2:

This is getting quiet annoying seriously by saying you are getting FRUSTRATED, it is not by force or a MUST that you must post a RESPONSE, so why the frustration
Anyway I'm done with this angry angry

I was hoping you will learn something from it, I learnt a lot from cartalk and would always say what i know so that others will learn. Am sure others will find our extensive discussion useful even if you don't appreciate it.
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by ableguy(m): 8:08pm On Oct 23, 2016
erico2k2:
you could say that.
Not necessarily because of speed, most times because of the new features.
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 8:14pm On Oct 23, 2016
ableguy:

Not necessarily because of speed, most times because of the new features.
there are Billions of reasons people change cars, if we start naming them we will be 99 years old and still wont we be finished hence I said mayB
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by ableguy(m): 8:45pm On Oct 23, 2016
erico2k2:

there are Billions of reasons people change cars, if we start naming them we will be 99 years old and still wont we be finished hence I said mayB

Lol, you are right but I know speed is the least reason among them.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 6:39am On Oct 24, 2016
ableguy:

Lol, you are right but I know speed is the least reason among them.
Well I give you this,why would I buy a ferari ? Or change my car to a ferari if I live in Germany
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by ableguy(m): 9:42am On Oct 24, 2016
erico2k2:

Well I give you this,why would I buy a ferari ? Or change my car to a ferari if I live in Germany
1 out of 100 persons buy a Ferrari just for racing!
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 11:47am On Oct 24, 2016
ableguy:

1 out of 100 persons buy a Ferrari just for racing!
yeah but I was expecting an answer to why I would buy a Ferrari if I live in Germany . There was a reason I asked . Lol
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by ableguy(m): 2:21pm On Oct 24, 2016
erico2k2:

yeah but I was expecting an answer to why I would buy a Ferrari if I live in Germany . There was a reason I asked . Lol

Honestly I don't know
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 3:35pm On Oct 24, 2016
ableguy:

Honestly I don't know
its for speed cos the Ferrari is soo unconfortable to drive in . So would be good for the Autobahn where there no speed limit grin
may pass as a show off car as well. grin
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 3:57pm On Oct 24, 2016
erico2k2:

its for speed cos the Ferrari is soo unconfortable to drive in . So would be good for the Autobahn where there no speed limit grin
may pass as a show off car as well. grin

There are a lot of people in Nigeria who own Ferrari and the likes. Am sure they didn't buy it to race on tracks or compete with other road users.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by Gentlelife50(m): 7:58pm On Oct 24, 2016
adanny01:

Yes, its all about calibration. The easiest way to tamper with a speedometer is by changing tire diameter. Others include bad calibration, bad speedometer components or even placing a magnet close to the mechanism will affect it and so on.

My friends car recommended tire is 225/50R17 but he was adviced to use 225/55R17 for better ground clearance. Driving the car at 120km/h seem like 140km/h and 140km/h seem like 160km/h. That was when it down on me that the increase in tire size had actually been deceiving us. He has lost 3 tires to pot holes thinking his speedi is ordinary 140km/h but is actually much more which explains why he has been losing tires. Intact, he lost a very sound engine when he tried to overtake another car while he was already at 160km/h. I knew because of his tires he was probably in the range of 180-190 without knowing and pressing the engine further. He told me that seconds after down shifting the engine gave a explosive sound. His conrod broke and annihilated the engine block. Probably the engine speed limiter wasnt working and he revved into the red zone. This happened on Kaduna-Zaria express way.

This is another angle to it ooo, so tire size can increase speed? When you are seeing 140 on your dashboard and in the real sense you are going by 180 or 190 because of tyre size?
Please clarify this your notion!
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 8:19pm On Oct 24, 2016
Gentlelife50:

This is another angle to it ooo, so tire size can increase speed? When you are seeing 140 on your dashboard and in the real sense you are going by 180 or 190 because of tyre size?
Please clarify this your notion!

Its not a notion but a fact.

I have done calculations on paper and shared few comments back. Back up and you will see it. Though the difference is not as much as you put it.

I came across this website. It calculates differences in size of tires down to even the difference in speed.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 6:52am On Oct 25, 2016
adanny01:

There are a lot of people in Nigeria who own Ferrari and the likes. Am sure they didn't buy it to race on tracks or compete with other road users.
If U noticed I said Germany
and owning a Ferrari in Nigeria is misplaced priority . Cos it's so not conffy
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 7:58am On Oct 25, 2016
erico2k2:

If U noticed I said Germany
and owning a Ferrari in Nigeria is misplaced priority . Cos it's so not conffy

Is Ferarri made for Germans or Americans only? Over 90% of Ferarri's never see the race track. Why do people even in Germany buy these cars? Why are these cars common among successful actors, musicians, footballers, basket ballers and in general media celebrities but you never see them on race tracks or with respected politicians and other rich people? Where is the best place to see these cars? Usually the red carpet arrivals of events such as Oscar awards and the likes.

Even in Germany, there are laws that does not allow you race your own car unless u go to a race track. Even there you have to be trained and given a permit. How many owners of these cars go through the process just because the car they own is strictly for speed?

Speed is the last thing anyone who wants to buy a Ferarri has in mine. Its more of a status statement than race purpose.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 3:33pm On Oct 25, 2016
adanny01:

Is Ferarri made for Germans or Americans only? Over 90% of Ferarri's never see the race track. Why do people even in Germany buy these cars? Why are these cars common among successful actors, musicians, footballers, basket ballers and in general media celebrities but you never see them on race tracks or with respected politicians and other rich people? Where is the best place to see these cars? Usually the red carpet arrivals of events such as Oscar awards and the likes.

Even in Germany, there are laws that does not allow you race your own car unless u go to a race track. Even there you have to be trained and given a permit. How many owners of these cars go through the process just because the car they own is strictly for speed?

Speed is the last thing anyone who wants to buy a Ferarri has in mine. Its more of a status statement than race purpose.
There was a reason I said Germany cos they are the only country I know that has motorways with NO SPEED LIMIT . It's a major attraction for need for speed people . Hence I used that analogy
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 3:49pm On Oct 25, 2016
erico2k2:

There was a reason I said Germany cos they are the only country I know that has motorways with NO SPEED LIMIT . It's a major attraction for need for speed people . Hence I used that analogy

So all Ferrari's are in Germany or anyone who buys one needs to take it to Germany where there are no speed limits?

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 7:39pm On Oct 25, 2016
adanny01:

So all Ferrari's are in Germany or anyone who buys one needs to take it to Germany where there are no speed limits?
You are taking this too far left,it was meant to be a proverb when I said ''Y would I buy a Ferrari if I lived in Germany'
and also come summer you would be surprised the amount of Ferrari and other fast cars that get flown in from the UAE to race o n the Autobhan
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 7:47pm On Oct 25, 2016
erico2k2:

You are taking this too far left,it was meant to be a proverb when I said ''Y would I buy a Ferrari if I lived in Germany'
and also come summer you would be surprised the amount of Ferrari and other fast cars that get flown in from the UAE to race o n the Autobhan

Aight, I give up.

The thing is that, I know, as well as you know that not everybody buys the same item for the same reason. This matter should have ended long ago if you agreed that you would buy a Ferrari for its speed but more buyers would have bought it just because they can afford to show it off ir for another flimsy excuse. Basically, back to the original matter not every body changes a car because of speed, there are other things like pride, ego, design, comfort or even small features such as Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS maps, etc. and of course speed which seem to be your major motivation. As soon as you appreciate another view that's how soon an understanding can be reached.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 8:55pm On Oct 25, 2016
adanny01:

Aight, I give up.

The thing is that, I know, as well as you know that not everybody buys the same item for the same reason. This matter should have ended long ago if you agreed that you would buy a Ferrari for its speed but more buyers would have bought it just because they can afford to show it off ir for another flimsy excuse. Basically, back to the original matter not every body changes a car because of speed, there are other things like pride, ego, design, comfort or even small features such as Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS maps, etc. and of course speed which seem to be your major motivation. As soon as you appreciate another view that's how soon an understanding can be reached.
Seriously I realy do not need to reach an understanding with you,the sooner you understand that the better it would be for you to spend ur quality time to understand someone else wink
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 9:16pm On Oct 25, 2016
erico2k2:

Seriously I realy do not need to reach an understanding with you,the sooner you understand that the better it would be for you to spend ur quality time to understand someone else wink

That's where the problem is. I usually understand you, but you? You just said it.
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 9:26pm On Oct 25, 2016
adanny01:

That's where the problem is. I usually understand you, but you? You just said it.
like i said earlier, you are taking this too far left, it was meant to be a banter, speed is a myth, you of all person should know it all depends on who drives the car.You in ur Honda accord might zoom past me in my Range Rover.
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 11:05pm On Oct 25, 2016
erico2k2:

like i said earlier, you are taking this too far left, it was meant to be a banter, speed is a myth, you of all person should know it all depends on who drives the car.You in ur Honda accord might zoom past me in my Range Rover.

I see.

Talking about your Autobiography, when you finish the project, I would love a feel of the ride, buzz me.
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by erico2k2(m): 10:28am On Oct 26, 2016
adanny01:

I see.

Talking about your Autobiography, when you finish the project, I would love a feel of the ride, buzz me.
grin grin grin.No worries, The parts are a bit hard to get as there are not so many about, I have gotten quotes though complete dash btw £1100-1200, but Im on it.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by softwhispers: 5:43pm On Oct 26, 2016
Inception:

For this brilliant response, i would like to ask you out!

Nothing turns me on quicker than a beautiful lady with a brilliant mind

@Plasmbob1, I'm afraid you'll have to choose between Inception and I.
I literally glorify intelligence because the woman I will have to marry must be one with whom I can relate on an intellectual level.
Otherwise, how can we even begin to bond?

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by Gentlelife50(m): 5:08pm On Oct 29, 2016
adanny01:

I have done calculations on paper and shared few comments back. Back up and you will see it. Though the difference is not as much as you put it.

I came across this website. It calculates differences in size of tires down to even the difference in speed.

Na waoo
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by ableguy(m): 9:02pm On Nov 02, 2016
adanny01:

Unbelievable, so tyre size can affect your speed?
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by adanny01(m): 7:27pm On Nov 03, 2016
ableguy:

Yes, that's why it is boldly written on the car and user manual.

For eg, my car is a 2003 Honda Accord L4 LX which comes with wheel cover and 205/65R15. On the other hand the EX and V6 trims gave alloy rims and 205/60R16. A lot of LX users prefer alloy wheels so the buy and install R16. That makes their speedometer erroneous.

I want to believe that since the ECU translates speed sensor readings to calibrated MPH, then swapping the ECU of LX with EX also creates an error in speedometer even when the engine and transmission are exactly the same.

Modified
If one wants to have accurate speedometer on an LX using EX tire size, one needs to also use EX ECU.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by kolamaks1(m): 12:14pm On Nov 04, 2016
lecturerdabo:
It is even possible for a car doing 100 to overtake you at ur 120 depending on

1. Engine size
2. Age
3. Rpmg(don't know if I got that right sha)
Etc

My belief tho!

wtf?.....you are wrong dude.....just imagine a bag of maize weighing 20kg and a bag of cotton weighing 20kg.....are they not of d same weight??...

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by ableguy(m): 1:32pm On Nov 06, 2016
kolamaks1:

wtf?.....you are wrong dude.....just imagine a bag of maize weighing 20kg and a bag of cotton weighing 20kg.....are they not of d same weight??...

True
Re: Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? by Gentlelife50(m): 5:04pm On Nov 06, 2016
ableguy:

I still don't believe it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Are Nigerian Drivers Graduating From Double Parking To Triple Parking? / Saudi Style, Photos Shows Arab Men Driving Their Suvs On Just Two Wheels. / General Motors Will No Longer Produce These 6 Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.