Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:07 PM

How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. (33277 Views)

‘NYSC Changed My Perception Of Igbos’ / How NYSC Camp Changed My View Of The Northerners - Akeredolu Odunayo / Tell Us How NYSC Travel And Inside Your Various Camp Is Going? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by northvietnam(m): 10:55pm On Oct 16, 2016
@Op don't be fooled by what u see cz those northerners are sumfin else.
NYSC was formed cz of the Civil WAR. What they don't know is that the horrors perpetrated upon Eastherners can never HEAL.
The story will be passed down from Generation to Generation .
It can never heal

2 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by dokiOloye(m): 10:56pm On Oct 16, 2016
Chriswazo:

Lol, what will they do if am not a corper? chop up my head? Lol. Bro I lived there, so i don't believe you.

While U are there,Just pray som1 doesn't draw another cartoon in Denmark,cos if that happens,U might turn to suya.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by patmil: 10:56pm On Oct 16, 2016
I served in yobe state, precisely in a town called Gadaka. Through out my service year I was living in fear and the day I was in a bus leaving the state after my discharge was one of the happiest day of my life. This is because there is always senseless killing by religious fanatics in other part of the state expecially in potiskum and during this period my fearful prayer is that they don't start their fanatism in my location. Generally they are good people but can kill you for saying mohammed in a very hansome man. It may be lovey dovey in your own place of service but don't generalise it to represent everywhere in the north.

3 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by chukzyblingz(m): 10:57pm On Oct 16, 2016
This is advising people to commit suicide. I'm not stereotyping. Northerners are murderers. There are few good ones but majority of them can kill you for no just cause. This is a fact.

4 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by DICKtator: 10:58pm On Oct 16, 2016
murphyibiam15:

Fom your sumission it means the north is not secured na....how will a male child squat to piss....it means u are not free in your own country to practice your own way of life...you are just plainly confused....when did southerners mandate northerners to stand while urinating...? Hypocritical lots

No I beg to differ!!

When in Rome, do as the Romans do!!!

It doesn't necessarily mean you agree but playing safe and respect for your body's culture is necessary.
At least ,in the south when a King dies, aren't people advised not to go out at a certain time?

Not saying one should drop his religion all in the quest to fit in but for security reasons and to gain strategic advantage, "morph" into your environment.
You can carry a branded alcoholic beverage in Nigeria on the street and drink it but it is illegal in some foreign country. Would you flout that?

grin grin grin grin
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by rabex123(m): 11:02pm On Oct 16, 2016
Violence has no region..so as peace..
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by LockDown69(m): 11:02pm On Oct 16, 2016
NYSC is the best scheme ever!
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by fujirice: 11:04pm On Oct 16, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
you can stay in the south and lose all you have too...things happens...no be only north wahala dey...millitansts for SS,kidnapping for SE ,ritual for SW...no where is safe ....God help us
Oga, let me not hear kidnapping in the SE again! Wetin dey do una? When was the last time you heard of a kidnap in SE? Can it be compared to the one that happen under our noses here almost on a daily basis along Kaduna Abuja road?
Bros, make u Park well o!

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by InvertedHammer: 11:04pm On Oct 16, 2016
/
The North is a peaceful keg of powder.

One moment it is very serene and peaceful, the next minute it goes up in flames.

The surprise factor is why a lot of people always fall victims.

OP: keep your guard up all the time especially on fridays.

Keyword: jumat.
\

6 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Darey00(m): 11:05pm On Oct 16, 2016
[quote author=MRSALT post=50260479][/quote]

Well I'm not naive to think the North is all that peaceful; even the locals here say they can never step foot in Born state. I have man who hails from Maiduguri he said he would never go there again.
I'm moving out sharperly after service I can't shout
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Nobody: 11:07pm On Oct 16, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
you can stay in the south and lose all you have too...things happens...no be only north wahala dey...millitansts for SS,kidnapping for SE ,ritual for SW...no where is safe ....God help us

have you heard of special target.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Ugosample(m): 11:09pm On Oct 16, 2016
ghostmist:
so you expected your friend to start squatting like woman like they all do over there abi??

just tell him to become a Muslim na..? just because he chooses to pee like a man, they are offended...

what rubbish!!

gerrout joor...!

Sorry to say, your line of reasoning is very poor and silly...
The north is this and that yet Igbo people like is are still trooping thete in their thousands to live and do business.
You are wiser than all of them going up there abi?

Rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Jdesilentkiller(m): 11:12pm On Oct 16, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
where in my post did I condemn....you beta read it again...I said the place is dry but they are friendly and honest.....abeg o make me vex for you o
Let's keep the peace brother... Don't be aggressive.. I am a man of peace ✌
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Ugosample(m): 11:14pm On Oct 16, 2016
DICKtator:

No I beg to differ!!

When in Rome, do as the Romans do!!!

It doesn't necessarily mean you agree but playing safe and respect for your body's culture is necessary.
At least ,in the south when a King dies, aren't people advised not to go out at a certain time?

Not saying one should drop his religion all in the quest to fit in but for security reasons and to gain strategic advantage, "morph" into your environment.
You can carry a branded alcoholic beverage in Nigeria on the street and drink it but it is illegal in some foreign country. Would you flout that?

grin grin grin grin

Don't mind them.
In Lagos, as you said, if an Oba dies , people are advised to stay indoors to avoid stories that touch, yet they will not talk about that one.

Everybody cannot reason like you, and not every society is like the one you came from, that is why it is always better to conform reasonably when you are in any society.

I also blame many parents for instilling this bias in their children (especially ndigbo)
Thank God my parents were not like that, and I have gone to see for myself.

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by babyfaceafrica: 11:15pm On Oct 16, 2016
fujirice:

Oga, let me not hear kidnapping in the SE again! Wetin dey do una? When was the last time you heard of a kidnap in SE? Can it be compared to the one that happen under our noses here almost on a daily basis along Kaduna Abuja road?
Bros, make u Park well o!
kidnap dey there nau...okay we don hear
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by NIGHTFOX: 11:21pm On Oct 16, 2016
Them post you go Kaura you day happy Abi, kaura nah town nah, poly no day? At least e day lively, dem for post you go Chikafi or any of those Bush your body for tell you.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by supersaz66(m): 11:30pm On Oct 16, 2016
oweniwe:
They made you comfortable cos you're a corper. Try staying behind after Nysc.... Nobody will beg you to run

Mumu I've been in the north and there's nothing related to what you thinking fool

2 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by supersaz66(m): 11:31pm On Oct 16, 2016
oweniwe:

You will have to start living like them... Dress like them and adhere to their religious routines if you wish to remain there after Nysc.

I'm staying in Niger state and I don't dress like them I don't go to mosque. I'm a Christian and we live peacefully

2 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by supersaz66(m): 11:33pm On Oct 16, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Northerners are generally honest and friendly and they can smoke shisha and pipe..chai...I fear those people...dey don't really drink like that but love women die...my advisse to anyoe who wants to visit north is to go to the soji ones like kano,kaduna,niger,abuja and jos.......all dose jigawa,sokoto ,gombe and kebbi too dry abeg

Lol very true. They can smoke for Africa they don't even like drinks

Ps: I stay in Niger state

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by ghostmist: 12:04am On Oct 17, 2016
Ugosample:

Sorry to say, your line of reasoning is very poor and silly...
The north is this and that yet Igbo people like is are still trooping thete in their thousands to live and do business.
You are wiser than all of them going up there abi?

Rubbish.

what kinda reasoning is this... people are doing business in Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen and even Syria.

anywhere profit can be made, you'd definitely see people doing business there.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by MRSALT: 12:10am On Oct 17, 2016
Ugosample:

Don't mind them.
In Lagos, as you said, if an Oba dies , people are advised to stay indoors to avoid stories that touch, yet they will not talk about that one.

Everybody cannot reason like you, and not every society is like the one you came from, that is why it is always better to conform reasonably when you are in any society.

I also blame many parents for instilling this bias in their children (especially ndigbo)
Thank God my parents were not like that, and I have gone to see for myself.
I don't like to argue for the sake of it. There should be exxhange of ideas in every argument. The point is not that south is good and north is bad. We are trying to highlight what is bad about the north. You can open a thread about what is bad about Lagos or Southwest. Do you know I stayed in a luxurious mansion in Kano abandoned by Lebanese due to incessant crisis in the north? Street urchins waking up and attacking innocent residents without tangible reason? If kano declare a certain day as the day of blood, believe me no one will fall a victim. We are pointing out this because no one ever get arrested or punished after every riot. If they are criminals like kidnappers, robbers or ritualists, their cup will get full one day. But some get promoted after religious riots in Kano. Lets keep saying it maybe this recent change being championed by Emir of Kano will bear fruit. Enough of religious riots in Kano and other Northern States.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by ghostmist: 12:15am On Oct 17, 2016
Festy4u:

Just imagine what he expected his friend to go through (urinating as a lady) just to please inhabitants of a region! And when they come to the south, their men urinate like women with nobody forcing them to urinate as men do in the south! undecided
my brother the hypocrisy is just sickening. it's folks like that dude who are trying to be politically correct that champion this double standard. they wanna force their religion and primitive ways of doing things on just about everybody.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by eflintsone(m): 12:23am On Oct 17, 2016
oweniwe:
They made you comfortable cos you're a corper. Try staying behind after Nysc.... Nobody will beg you to run
bros just shut up and listen to the clear truth please... People like u have neva visited the north bfore but lay lies about the northern land...just park well
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by eflintsone(m): 12:29am On Oct 17, 2016
I confidently said that northerners go to skool steady and hausas dominate every institution in the northern states but some block heads that have not visited d north doubted me ...i just kept my cool .. Am glaf another person is saying the same...the talks of pple saying hausa dont go to skool is just so foolish and daft

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Festy4u(m): 12:32am On Oct 17, 2016
ghostmist:
my brother the hypocrisy is just sickening. it's folks like that dude who are trying to be politically correct that champion this double standard. they wanna force their religion and primitive ways of doing things on just about everybody.

My brother it is quite sickening to say the least. I believe in a liberal society where everyone could live without necessarily looking at once shoulder all the time. It's well
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by mengho(m): 12:35am On Oct 17, 2016
Northerners are cool as long as you don't insult thier beliefs or religion, they will always treat you like family unlike my brothers from the land of d raising Sun. But I still love them despite dat scam dat caused me lots of money( I still hold a grudge)
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Nobody: 12:38am On Oct 17, 2016
Bros

Were you born before or after year 2000?

deliveryboy:
Great one OP, I did my NYSC in Abia state, before I left the north for the orientation camp in Bende LGA I heard so many horrible stories about Abia state from eating human flesh in Isiangwa LGAs, Isikwuator etc to robbery and kidnapping cases and ritual killings. To be honest I had my only robbery experience in the state, aside from this singular case, the rest was fun, I met great people, great families, I had a number of women I called mummy and they took me as their own son, fed me and shielded me from trouble in some cases. On completion of my service year, I couldn't believe I was shedding tears on the day I was leaving Ukwa East LGA, I wasn't the only one, my neighbors were also crying on seeing me leave their town. I have visited the town after then and they are so loving and always happy to receive me. Believe it or not I am chatting with a friend I met in Ukwa East as I type this comment. Most times people go back home to propagate the odd stuff they experienced, but in truth all parts of Nigeria are beautiful to live in. I was born in the north, had all my education in the north (Kaduna), I have never witnessed any so called religious crisis, the northern region is about the most cosmopolitan comprising of all ethnic groups and religion. I love Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Nobody: 12:50am On Oct 17, 2016
God Bless Northern Nigeria. Discrimination does not exist in the North.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Nobody: 12:57am On Oct 17, 2016
Yes I am smiley....you? How are you handling it? smiley
ConcNiggress56:

thanks babe.. hope you're dealing with this recession well well..??
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by hollypagan: 1:00am On Oct 17, 2016
Who is this one ? Because you can pronounce Igbo name you think your from Igbo man abeg go ask your papa where your from ,northerns hate igbos so dnt change the ideology ,
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Ifesinachi22(m): 1:16am On Oct 17, 2016
Muslim states are terrible.

I serve in plateau state, though mostly Christians, but the minority Muslims are always too hard to get along with.

An issue occurred one early morning, between a Muslim guy and a Christian woman, the guy is Hausa Muslim and the woman is Angas Christian.

A 2yr old child defecated in front of their compound, their land, though very close to the main road. A Muslim guy said the child should pack the shit.

when Islam came to plateau state some original Christian plateau joined Islam but majority of people in plateau state are still Christians.

So, when the issue occurred, all the Muslims in the street gathered, even guys from the same tribe(Angas)with the woman that are Muslims gathered that the mother either packs the shit or they kill the child.

The way all the Muslims came with weapons made me understand that Islam is a cult.
Most of them didn't even care to ask what the problem was, they were just after the mother and her child.
A child defecated in front of her father's compound which is close to the main road, is that a crime.

So, Nairalanders, North is still north. They changed not. Bunch of cannibals.

Zamfara should be worst because they are mostly Muslims.

Islam as a religion is occultism. It can't be equated with Christianity. North is still who they are.

My insinuation about the north cannot change because i serve here.

Aisha Buhari is right.
Buhari surrounded himself with cabals(Northerners).

What more can i say?

2 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by csamii: 1:36am On Oct 17, 2016
This una advert no sell o! Let one guy from Norway decide to burn Koran on live TV tomorrow, una go know how friendly and safe north dey.

Abeg make una move this nonsense go joke section jor!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Reasons Why You Shouldn't Stay In Family House During NYSC / "Any Lady Wearing NYSC Khaki Trouser Has Committed An Offence Before God" - Man / Enugu State Increases Corpers Allowance To N30,000 & N20,000 For Doctors, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.