Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,404 members, 7,836,616 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot (1754 Views)

"We Will Support Buhari If He Contests In 2019" - South-East Elders Council / Nigerian Lawmakers Could Override Buhari If He Vetoes Peace Corps Bill – Dogara / Economy Would’ve Been Worse But For Buhari – Lai Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by Islie: 1:49pm On Oct 16, 2016
President Muhammadu Buhari says his government is encouraged by the support of Nigerians, and he has cited the absence of a riot when he removed subsidy on petrol.

In January 2012, former President Goodluck Jonathan faced stiff citizen resistance when he removed subsidy on petrol. Owing to the public outcry, he abandoned the idea.

According to a statement issued by Garba Shehu, on Saturday, Buhari said this while speaking at an interactive session in Berlin with representatives of the Nigerian community in Germany.

The president said his administration would reciprocate the gesture by strengthening critical institutions needed for sustainable development and prosperity.

“We are working hard to empower our institutions especially our educational institutions,” he said.

“If you educate a person, that is the best you can do for him. But if not, you make him susceptible to religious, ethnic, negative thinking and action.

“Nigerians are virtually supporting us in our fight against corruption, security and the economy.

He referred to Rolls Royces recently discovered in the homes of certain government officials as a clear reference of the rot in society and the fact that the war against corruption in the country was working.

“There are things that are happening, and if such had happened before there would have been major riot, like the removal of subsidy on fuel,” he said.

Buhari told Nigerians in the Diaspora that it was regrettable that over the years oil marketers had colluded with banks to defraud Nigeria of much needed revenue from the commodity.

“One third of the activities of the oil marketers are fraudulent, you can see how some of us Nigerians are wicked,” he said.

“They just take the money, stamp some papers without bringing the product; and this fraudulent activity was between bankers and businessmen.”

The president declared that his administration would continue to to be “very hard on corruption,” in addition to encouraging more Nigerians to pay their taxes.

“If you work hard and get your money we will try and see how much tax you can pay us.But to take money from government and get away with it, no more,” he said.

https://www.thecable.ng/buhari-if-fuel-subsidy-was-removed-before-me-there-would-have-been-riot

lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by falcon01: 1:53pm On Oct 16, 2016

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 16, 2016
He didn't lie!

This shows how hypocritical most Nigerians are when it comes to issues that affect us as a nation.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by jaymejate: 2:01pm On Oct 16, 2016
Mtchew

1 Like

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by andyboi4real(m): 2:08pm On Oct 16, 2016
Who Wants To Protest Or Cause Riot When He Has Not Eaten,nigerians Are Surfering, Hunger Everywhere U Turn, Sucide Is On The High because Of Bad Governance And The Only Thing This CLUELESS old fulani man could say is nigerians Are Not Protesting.
GOD HELP NIGERIA

7 Likes

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by brightballer(m): 2:09pm On Oct 16, 2016
Ashuali, there were a handful of pickets after the fedora-donning clown from the creeks tried it then.
Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by NextGovernor(m): 2:09pm On Oct 16, 2016
The same set of people who voted you in were the same enemy of progress who rejected it at the first place....... So they were ashame to come out and who want to exhaust his/her stomach when bag of rice was selling for almost 20k against 8k during last protest....

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by chinjo(m): 2:12pm On Oct 16, 2016
The same outcry that was sponsored by the then CPC and ACN. If they had allowed Jonathan to do it then we would have overcome the effect by now. This is certainly the wrong time to remove subsidy. The reason why people did not protest or riot was because most of the people that were shouting sai Buhari were too ashamed to do so. In addition to that, the press, civil liberty organization, NLC, TUC, ASU, NUPENG, pengasson etc were cowed not to raise their voices by the govt attack dog EFCC.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by divinehand2003(m): 2:13pm On Oct 16, 2016
Na when person eat belle full, e go get power to strike.
Now, no money then no strike due to harsh economy

1 Like

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by kutchs: 2:15pm On Oct 16, 2016
Na who chop belleful dey protest.
Besides, Nigerian demonstrated against a democrat and gentleman, nobody dares demonstrate against a tyrant.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by CandyDiamond(f): 2:18pm On Oct 16, 2016
When you are using military to massacre innocent protesters, how will they riot when you are ready to kill them all

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by yeyeboi(m): 2:22pm On Oct 16, 2016
Ok
Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by saintkel(m): 2:28pm On Oct 16, 2016
Dis Buhari sef

1 Like

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by rottennaija(m): 2:30pm On Oct 16, 2016
andyboi4real:
Who Wants To Protest Or Cause Riot When He Has Not Eaten,nigerians Are Surfering, Hunger Everywhere U Turn, Sucide Is On The High because Of Bad Governance And The Only Thing This CLUELESS old fulani man could say is nigerians Are Not Protesting.
GOD HELP NIGERIA

Leave that thing. Na hungry people dey protest pass

1 Like

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by bennyann: 2:35pm On Oct 16, 2016
OK then, continue praising yourself.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by Nobody: 2:38pm On Oct 16, 2016
We don't want to protest or cause any riot, we are just waiting for 2019 so we can oust you.
Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by naijaboy756: 2:42pm On Oct 16, 2016
People are just curious that the blood of dogs and baboons you promised will be spilled. Your illiterate good for nothing brother touts will carry knives and sticks without even knowing why to kill innocent people.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by qualityovenbake(m): 3:49pm On Oct 16, 2016
Had it been it was the last regime that implemented the removal of fuel subsidy, there would have been a complete breakdown of law and order.
Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by limeta(f): 4:33pm On Oct 16, 2016
We know you will send the army to kill
You the only stupid one

1 Like

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by hucienda: 4:40pm On Oct 16, 2016
Since hypocrites like Tunde Bakare are amongst the populace then it's a no-brainer.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by Ganiyat72(f): 5:55pm On Oct 16, 2016
Since it is we the ati ewedu ati amala tribe that protested during GEJ regime, it will be hypocritical to do thesame to the evil fulani presidiotbuhari, whom tunubu sold us to. We can't eat our cake and still want it back.

We have to suffer in silence atleast until 2019 when we will have another opportunity to rewrite our wrong. Until then, happy RECESSION.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by NextGovernor(m): 6:52am On Oct 18, 2016
Ganiyat72:
Since it is we the ati ewedu ati amala tribe that protested during GEJ regime, it will be hypocritical to do thesame to the evil fulani presidiotbuhari, whom tunubu sold us to. We can't eat our cake and still want it back.

We have to suffer in silence atleast until 2019 when we will have another opportunity to rewrite our wrong. Until then, happy RECESSION.

I am tell u bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by tuniski: 7:55am On Oct 18, 2016
What an irony the protesters are now in Govt so who will protest? Current opposition is matured and patriotic not simply political!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by BALLOSKI: 8:00am On Oct 18, 2016
We trust you and that's why we allowed that removal.
Under GEJ too, I supported subsidy removal but I was sceptical because I did not trust the administration to do what they said will be done with what they will get from subsidy reinvestment fund. We all know how sure-P ended.
Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by Bizibi(m): 8:08am On Oct 18, 2016
BALLOSKI:
Under GEJ too, I supported subsidy removal but I was sceptical because I did not trust the administration to do what they said will be done with what they will get from subsidy reinvestment fund. We all know how sure-P ended.
excuse!!!! Now u supported its removal but you didn't trust the govt

1 Like

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by Bizibi(m): 8:09am On Oct 18, 2016
BALLOSKI:
excuse!!!! Now u supported its removal but you didn't trust the last govt,una no really well

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by BALLOSKI: 8:16am On Oct 18, 2016
Bizibi:
excuse!!!! Now u supported its removal but you didn't trust the govt
I stated it in my post why I did not support it then and why I'm supporting it now.
Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by Bizibi(m): 8:17am On Oct 18, 2016
BALLOSKI:
I stated it in my post why I did not support it then and why I'm supporting it now.
I hear

1 Like

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by gebest: 9:14am On Oct 18, 2016
Buhari government is a mistake to nigerians, he does not ve d people at heart even the civil servant that voted for him, he could not even increase their salaries, too bad. upon as things expensive reach for market, yet he refused to increase his workers salary to cusion d hardship, while states like edo, ebonyi, anambra has managed to inrease theirs upon the recession.
Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by achieverme(m): 9:21am On Oct 18, 2016
brightballer:
Ashuali, there were a handful of pickets after the fedora-donning clown from the creeks tried it then.

But you embrassed it when the gworo chewing dead-brain dullard brought it up?

1 Like

Re: Buhari: If Fuel Subsidy Was Removed Before Me, There Would’ve Been Riot by brightballer(m): 1:35pm On Oct 18, 2016
achieverme:

But you embrassed it when the gworo chewing dead-brain dullard brought it up?
Embrassed?

Mtcheeew

(1) (Reply)

Afonjas Now Looking Up To Trump To Save Them From Disgrace / PHOTO: Model Of N167billion Kano Economic City / IPOB Leader Nnamdi Kanu's Pretty Sister Princess Weds In Umuahia(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.