Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,373 members, 7,836,511 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] (2854 Views)

Amaechi Receives Train Model For Rail Project (photos) / Jonathan In Presence Of Osinbajo Receives Loud Ovations At Reedemed Camp / Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by AloyEmeka6: 12:27am On Oct 22, 2009
New taxis: Alao-Akala re-invents transport- To boost tourism in Oyo State

Tuesday, October 20, 2009
One of the known features of Ibadan town are rickety taxis. That is about to change as TAYO LEWIS reports.

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/20/tribune/images/feat[1].jpg[/img]
Rickety: One of the taxis currently in Ibadan

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/20/619.html

The city of Ibadan is known for many things, depending on who is describing the ancient town. The writer, John Pepper Bekederemo-C1ark was attracted by its tempting flora and fauna, in his poem, entitled IBADAN, the Niger-Deltan described in awestruck words the hills of the ancient town.

Were J.P. Clark to be a Geography student, he would probably have recalled that Ibadan is the third largest city on the African continent, and the first largest in West Africa.

A newcomer to Ibadan, who is just passing through the city, could probabaly be struck by the number of browned or browning roof-tops that litter the horizon as far as the eyes can see.

If you bother to intrude into the city, you might find that leaves from cooked corn meal are part of the landscape, and if you did not come with your own means of transport, then you will likely travel within the city on the unique cabs that ply the intra -city roads in the town.

They are unique in many respects, some tell the history of the town, having been bought so long ago and transported many of its now deceased historical personages. Some are mere contraptions such that people from other climes will wonder how such models are still being maintained on their wheels.

Any wonder that auto mechanics in Ibadan are reverred elsewhere as geniuses? The good news is that the Oyo State government is set to change the face of intra-city transportation in Ibadan saving commuters the several fights that usually ensue when the rickety taxis rip their clothes apart as they attempt to either embark or disembark from the things which the drivers refer to as taxis, but which even the manufacturers have since forgotten they ever conceived, not to talk of manufacturing.

The state government recently purchased brand new cars which it is giving out soon to enable residents have a new lease of life as far as intra-city transportation is concerned. Reacting to the insinuation in certain quarters that the present administration in Oyo State was borrowing heavily to finance some of its projects, the governor, Otunba Adebayo Alao-Akala said: “I didn’t borrow money from anywhere, we may borrow another time, but as I speak with you, we didn’t borrow a kobo.

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/20/tribune/images/feat1b[1].jpg[/img]
Some of the new taxis

I must not deceive you, earlier last year, we borrowed, but this year we didn’t because of the windfall of bank stock and we have chosen to be prudent with the money by spending it properly. We cut our coat according to our size. One of the cardinal principles of my administration is that we wouldn’t embark on any white elephant project, so we embark on those projects we would be able to finish on time.

“One thing about critics is that they are busy bodies. Even if I should paint the whole Ibadan with gold, the opposition would still find one thing or the other to say. For instance , they may ask how many karat gold did he use? Why not this and that karat? They would always find one thing or the other to talk about. Since 1999, at different capacities, I have been part of government, and I make bold to say that no government in the state had been able to achieve all we have achieved.

My government has brought so much desired dividends of democracy to all nooks and crannies of the state.“It goes beyond siting projects in local government headquarters alone, we site projects in villages and sub-rural areas of the state. There is no place we have not built schools, healthcare centres, markets and many others. We have the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) that has helped us a lot in achieving our goals. Where there is no water, we provide motorised borehole for the people. The people are happy with us because we have touched their lives.”

The coming taxis have already started generating controversy in the politically volatile state. According to government’s spokesman, Prince Dotun Oyelade, the taxi scheme, referred to as Corporate Transport Scheme (CTS) will be run with educated drivers as it is meant to boost tourism potentials of the state and enhance the hospitality needed by potential foreign investors.

“We are not neccessarily talking of university graduates but educated drivers who can at least communicate in English with potential investors being attracted into the city,” Prince Oyelade said.

For Governor Alao-Akala, he is not bothered by criticisms of the scheme since critics may never see good in any government development programme.

“I am not bothered about the campaign of calumny by the opposition. I was called so many names before the last general elections, so whatever they say now does not bother me.“We leave the fault finders out of this because they are not our targets in this regard. When you do the right thing as a government, critics would play the ostrich, but the moment you err, they go to work.

Those writing and talking negative things about this government are those who think they can run down this government and build their own political empire; but that is bad. One should have the fear of God. I will tell you, no government achieved half of what we have achie[/b]ved.

In fact, I cannot remember any project executed in and around my town by Lam and I cannot remember as a deputy governor, what Ladoja did in my town; but every town, every council headquarters has projects executed under this government.
[b]
The beneficiaries are grateful to us, it was in appreciation of this laudable feat that I was honoured with the title Akogun of Irua
. Irua is about 46kilometres to Ibadan . We tarred their roads which no government had done before now, the same thing, the Ibarapa people did. All these they did in appreciation of the government’s efforts at making life meaningful to the people.”
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by Kobojunkie: 12:35am On Oct 22, 2009
Roflmao!!!
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by AloyEmeka6: 12:48am On Oct 22, 2009
Sagamite and Bawomolo are in serious  trouble. Anybody that knows these two Akala most wanted fugitives should warn them to stay away from Ibadan because if Alao gets them, he will bleach their nyash with expired izal.
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by AloyEmeka6: 1:51am On Oct 22, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Roflmao!!!

Why are you laughing at our new chief? grin grin grin
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by naijatoday: 3:01am On Oct 22, 2009

I must not deceive you, earlier last year, we borrowed, but this year we didn’t because of the windfall of bank stock and we have chosen to be prudent with the money by spending it properly. We cut our coat according to our size. One of the cardinal principles of my administration is that we wouldn’t embark on any white elephant project, so we embark on those projects we would be able to finish on time.

When did Oyo state invest in the stock market? I am asking becasue did the stock market not crash (especially bank stocks), so what windfall is he talking about?
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by AloyEmeka6: 3:33am On Oct 22, 2009
naijatoday:

When did Oyo state invest in the stock market? I am asking becasue did the stock market not crash (especially bank stocks), so what windfall is he talking about?
Govt allocation from Abuja.
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by Nobody: 3:40am On Oct 22, 2009
Poor choice of vehicle for taxi if you ask me. The car is so tiny and may not be able to accommodate fat, pregnant or pot bellied guys.
Worst of it all; it has no trunk/boot.

Do these guys ever think before they undertake what is suppose to be simple projects?
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by pcicero(m): 3:45am On Oct 22, 2009
Oh my dear country! Do these people know that they are actually elected to touch people's lives? So why does he have do say all these? The Governor's interest is gold is noteworthy because he adorns himself with the expensive metals that you'll wonder if he ever feels the weight on his neck.
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by Nobody: 3:48am On Oct 22, 2009
pcicero:

Oh my dear country! Do these people know that they are actually elected to touch people's lives? So why does he have do say all these? The Governor's interest is gold is noteworthy because he adorns himself with the expensive metals that you'll wonder if he ever feels the weight on his neck.

Dont mind him. He will soon have back pains like Rick Ross the Boss. tongue
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by bawomolo(m): 3:53am On Oct 22, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Sagamite and Bawomolo are in serious  trouble. Anybody that knows these two Akala most wanted fugitives should warn them to stay away from Ibadan because if Alao gets them, he will bleach their nyash with expired izal.

true talk. i may have to go undercover after reading this

One should have the fear of God. I will tell you, no government achieved half of what we have achieved.

jakumo - is there space in your bunker grin grin

There is no place we have not built schools, healthcare centres, markets and many others.

all hail the king of bleach
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by AloyEmeka6: 4:08am On Oct 22, 2009
Where there is no water, we provide[b] motorised borehole for the people[/b]. The people are happy with us because we have touched their lives.”

What is motorised borehole?
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by POSAKOSA1(m): 4:09am On Oct 22, 2009
Dang It, I wish I scored that contract to deliver the taxis angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by Nobody: 4:12am On Oct 22, 2009
POSAKOSA1:

Dang It, I wish I scored that contract to deliver the taxis angry angry angry angry angry

Are you Akala's cousin? And will you be ready to give huge kickbacks?
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by AloyEmeka6: 4:17am On Oct 22, 2009
POSAKOSA1:

Dang It, I wish I scored that contract to deliver the taxis   angry angry angry angry angry

So much for changing our leadership in Nigeria. Is that what you gonna do when we vote you in?
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by POSAKOSA1(m): 4:22am On Oct 22, 2009
Well I could have gotten the vehicles subsidized by maybe obtaining environmentally "conscious" vehicles. Promoting the so-called green market.

Would have written/possibly received a grant from an organization that supports such causes, then I will come and share my portion with NLders. tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by Sammy107d(m): 4:51am On Oct 22, 2009
white cars in IB cheesy
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by AloyEmeka6: 5:26am On Oct 22, 2009
Sammy107_d:

white cars in IB  cheesy

Sjeezy drives white taxis in LA. May be he suggested the color to Akala. grin grin
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by AloyEmeka6: 6:33am On Oct 22, 2009
nuzo:

Poor choice of vehicle for taxi if you ask me. The car is so tiny and may not be able to accommodate fat, pregnant or pot bellied guys.
Worst of it all; it has no trunk/boot.

Do these guys ever think before they undertake what is suppose to be simple projects?

I wonder.
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by texazzpete(m): 7:44am On Oct 22, 2009
Abeg does anyone have the link to that NL article showing this guy's bleached skin? I need to send that out to as many people as possible grin

Instead of the man to educate taxi drivers, he's busy trying to turn graduates into menial workers as taxi drivers. What rubbish!
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by FBS: 11:59am On Oct 22, 2009
You guys are mad funny!  grin  grin  grin  grin  grin 

This is a serious topic my good friends cool
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by baslone: 12:21pm On Oct 22, 2009
. . . ohh! what a man?!! embarassed
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by Hercules75(m): 12:22pm On Oct 22, 2009
Wetin do your bele?, U know know say, na him lecturer futstep he dey follow?
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 22, 2009
texazzpete:

Abeg does anyone have the link to that NL article showing this guy's bleached skin? I need to send that out to as many people as possible grin

Instead of the man to educate taxi drivers, he's busy trying to turn graduates into menial workers as taxi drivers. What rubbish!

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-335509.0.html#msg4705731

thats the link for the guvnor
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by Nezan(m): 2:47pm On Oct 22, 2009
So Oyo graduates will now rush to Ibadan to start queing to become taxi drivers?
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by POSAKOSA1(m): 2:48pm On Oct 22, 2009
lets Akala's children start first, angry angry angry angry
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 22, 2009
Good thinking good product,says a japanese quote,,but these our governors do not think well for us.,i believe he is expecting first class holders to apply as taxi drivers maybe this thread should be moved to the career/job section, as for criticism,he should just forget about that since our sick president still people talking about his sickness.Stupid
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by deezah(f): 3:08pm On Oct 22, 2009
As much as I dislike Akala, bleached skin and all, I must commend his initiative in providing taxis for the state, small vehicles or not, because I feel his sokoto state counterpart should borrow a leaf from him and stop filling their roads with bikes (okadas, achabas, goings etc) especially with the high rate of okada accidents on the roads, which are mostly near-fatal or in some cases, actually fatal. We want to be able to choose between climbing bikes and entering taxis, and not to be restricted to bikes all the time, please, your excellency.
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 22, 2009
bawomolo:

true talk. i may have to go undercover after reading this

One should have the fear of God. I will tell you, no government achieved half of what we have achieved.

jakumo - is there space in your bunker grin grin

There is no place we have not built schools, healthcare centres, markets and many others.

all hail the king of bleach

bawomolo, there's still hope for you , find your way up mr tura's anus - and we'll be hearing about bawomolo 'chicago' the motor park chairman grin - just don't end up hiding in a ceiling grin
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by bawomolo(m): 3:27pm On Oct 22, 2009
oyb:

bawomolo, there's still hope for you , find your way up mr tura's anus - and we'll be hearing about bawomolo 'chicago' the motor park chairman grin - just don't end up hiding in a ceiling grin

Have started shopping for my motor park chairman dress right now.

gold chains, gold rings, shining laces and agbada and my monthly allocation of star and guilder . Akala has found a new alaye.

my street name would be baba chicago grin
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by AloyEmeka6: 4:19pm On Oct 22, 2009
texazzpete:

Abeg does anyone have the link to that NL article showing this guy's bleached skin? I need to send that out to as many people as possible  grin

[img]http://1.bp..com/_p63XZ27fMK8/SsPOm_dELmI/AAAAAAAABH4/ADlOnrV8veM/s400/AKALA.jpg[/img]
The new Akogun of Irua
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by clomn(m): 4:36pm On Oct 22, 2009
WHAT DO U EXPECT FROM EX-POLICE OFFICE, PDP AND FANTA FACE COKE LEG GOVERNOR LIKE AKALA WHO SPENT THE FIRST YEAR TREASURY OF OYO STATE IN GETTING LAWYERS FOR ELECTION TRIBUNAL.

GOVERNOR WHO ONCE SAID HE HAS SACKED THE WHOLE WORKERS IN OYO STATE.

LMAO.
Re: Akala Receives Title For Buying Cabs & Warns Critics[nairalanders] by Nobody: 4:37pm On Oct 22, 2009
govnor yellow fever - get to guiding those graduates in traffic grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Thngs Dey Happen In Ekiti - Fayemi, Keeping To His Promise. / FG To Remove Tankers And Other Articulated Vehicles From Apapa / If Ekiti's Gov Bed Cost N50m,How Much Will Amechi,Fashola Or Akpabio's Bed Cost?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.