Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,112 members, 7,821,820 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] (16837 Views)

CBN To Introduce Lower Denominations On Atms / CBN To Introduce N5,000 Note / CBN Plans To Introduce N5000, N2000 Notes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by honeric01(m): 5:17pm On Oct 23, 2009
we will get there
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 5:18pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

Still apple and oranges.

Electric cars = investment, saving money and bettering the environment. You don't have to like the Idea, but it's a beautiful thing.

Btw, can you prove to me that the project is not gonna create jobs, hi tech is not gonna be transferred? re- think the slowpoke thing my friend.

Lol . . . . You continous need to label it all apples and oranges makes me wonder if you know how that is really applied.

Electric cars as investments DO NOT save MONEY IN ALL situations and this seems an example.

a) NEVER STATED that I did not like the idea, so no need to try to SCORE BROWNIE points by pitching me as the ENEMY here again

b) When you factor the cost of EACH car and the cost of powering EACH car regularly, as well as maintainance cost, it is likely you are NOT going to SAVE money.  Electric cars are offered more as alternative fuel cars and not necessarily MONEY SAVING cars.

c) Every freaking idea out there can have the lines "CREATE JOBS" slapped on them as well. The article DOES NOT MENTION job creation as reason or possible for this project. It simply states that this is more for environmental reasons.  High-tech transfer is relative. Are the Environmental agency workers going to be working under the hood of the car as well??

The technology, which is new around the world, he said, would in the first phase be used by the Ministry of Environment and then other parastatals and councils in the state. The move, he noted, would go a long way in eradicating emission and ultimately promoting the state's cleaner environment initiative.

Dude, again, you are not addressing imbeciles here.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 5:22pm On Oct 23, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

No matter how you try to prove this, the issue of electric cars is still far fetched. There are many more things we need in Nigeria which includes viable research institutions and space technology but they are not our priority now since we still lack basic infrastructure. Nobody expects Fashola to achieve them all. The ones he has done is more than enough for a sitting governor but if he should go further, it will be more realistic to invest in pressing issues than this electric car project. Have you been to Lasu lately and witness the extent of dilapidation in that school?.   Why not invest more in schools, hospitals and roads that are not federal responsbilities?

Did you remember the raggedy yatch hotel he bought at the directives of Bola Tinubu for $40M?. Is that a viable investment for Lagos state from your perspective?. Below is one of the roads in a 21st century city that vies for electric cars and solar technology:
[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/21/vanguard/images/slumhabitat1[1].jpg[/img]

The Yatch does not belong to the Lagos state government. Get your facts straight and stop spreading tales. The state did not commit a penny.

Now what?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by cvibe: 5:22pm On Oct 23, 2009
Electric Vehicles? I guess you guys will be charging it with generators.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 5:25pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

The Yatch does not belong to the Lagos state government. Get your facts straight and stop spreading tales. The state did not commit a penny.

Are you kidding me?. Lagos state bought the Yatch hotel for $40M and I can pull it up if you continue to argue this nonsense.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 5:28pm On Oct 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Lol . . . . You continous need to label it all apples and oranges makes me wonder if you know how that is really applied.

Electric cars as investments DO NOT save MONEY IN ALL situations and this seems an example.

a) NEVER STATED that I did not like the idea, so no need to try to SCORE BROWNIE points by pitching me as the ENEMY here again

b) When you factor the cost of EACH car and the cost of powering EACH car regularly, as well as maintainance cost, it is likely you are NOT going to SAVE money.  Electric cars are offered more as alternative fuel cars and not necessarily MONEY SAVING cars.

c) Every freaking idea out there can have the lines "CREATE JOBS" slapped on them as well. The article DOES NOT MENTION job creation as reason or possible for this project. It simply states that this is more for environmental reasons.  High-tech transfer is relative. Are the Environmental agency workers going to be working under the hood of the car as well??

Dude, again, you are not addressing imbeciles here.

You still haven't proved that this project is not gonna create jobs, throwing words here and there is meaningless.

Like I said, you don't have to like the idea, but it's a brilliant idea and a great step in the right direction.

lol @ hi tech transfer is relative, the BRT buses must be servicing and maintaining themselves.

Abeg stop the madness.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by bibiking1(m): 5:32pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

Still apple and oranges.

Electric cars = investment, saving money and bettering the environment. You don't have to like the Idea, but it's a beautiful thing.

Btw, can you prove to me that the project is not gonna create jobs, hi tech is not gonna be transferred? re- think the slowpoke thing my friend.

That was kinna hard KoboJunkie! Anyway, Babapuppa it seems you might have a point but you would have to explain in a more succint fashion lest we think ye raving!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Uche2nna(m): 5:34pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

You still haven't proved that this project is not gonna create jobs, throwing words here and there is meaningless.

The project is going to create jobs, so will the constructing and maintaining good roads , electricity, water , u know the basic amenities that some people actually take for granted in countries that are serious.

Electric cars in Nigeria is like putting the cart before the horse,,,,,,, and besides that technology is light years away from being perfected.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 5:35pm On Oct 23, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Are you kidding me?. Lagos state bought the Yatch hotel for $40M and I can pull it up if you continue to argue this nonsense.

You pulled up garbage,

Lagos Government Did Not Buy Sunborn Yatch – Fashola

http://www.tundefashola.com/archives/news/2009/02/19/20090219N01.html

Sunborn Yatch - Lagos Denies Financial Involvement

http://allafrica.com/stories/200910160340.html
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 5:36pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

But your question was pointless since the article or idea is not even promoted as a job-creation venture. I even posted the lines for you to read what the governor himself said. I can only speculate on whether jobs will be created or not after that. I cannot PROVE anything in that area, neither can anyone at this point.

As for your claim that installation and maintainance will create jobs, I disagree. It is possible that a private company already has the contract to handle all that and already has needed staff to deal with all that.

babapupa:

Like I said, you don't have to like the idea, but it's a brilliant idea and a great step in the right direction
lol @ hi tech transfer is relative, the BRT buses must be servicing and maintaining themselves.

Abeg stop the madness.

Yeah, I meant the hi-tech argument was pointless considering again, the idea is to help reduce emissions and not to have government workers start looking under the hood of the cars to learn the technology. Owning a computer does not make you hi-tech savvy. You actually have to apply yourself to learning how it works and how to make it do what you want for that to happen.

By the way, continually writing off what you have little grasp of as madness does not make it so.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by honeric01(m): 5:39pm On Oct 23, 2009
See arguments angry
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 5:42pm On Oct 23, 2009
Uche2nna:

The project is going to create jobs,  so will the constructing and maintaining good roads , electricity, water , u know the basic amenities that some people actually take for granted in countries that are serious.

Electric cars in Nigeria is like putting the cart before the horse,,,,,,, and besides that technology is light years away from being perfected.

What's your point? because the state is proposing electric cars doesn't mean they are not spending money on your everything you listed.

Smart people solve and pay attention to problems of tomorrow today. Nigeria is f'ed up because we have backward thing leaders and enabling masses, we're stuck in permanent reverse and afraid to move forward.

No meaningful development is immune to errors and you can not progress without vision and taking the necessary steps. You have to start from somewhere.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 5:50pm On Oct 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

But your question was pointless since the article or idea is not even promoted as a job-creation venture. I even posted the lines for you to read what the governor himself said. I can only speculate on whether jobs will be created or not after that. I cannot PROVE anything in that area, neither can anyone at this point.

As for your claim that installation and maintainance will create jobs, I disagree. It is possible that a private company already has the contract to handle all that and already has needed staff to deal with all that.

Yeah, I meant the hi-tech argument was pointless considering again, the idea is to help reduce emissions and not to have government workers start looking under the hood of the cars to learn the technology. Owning a computer does not make you hi-tech savvy. You actually have to apply yourself to learning how it works and how to make it do what you want for that to happen.

By the way, continually writing off what you have little grasp of as madness does not make it so.

Oh lawd,

They don't have to point nothing out to you, common sense should tell you that the freeking cars are not gonna maintain themselves and supporting infrastructures are not gonna drop down from heaven.

lol, private company handling the project, I guess they're gonna import 100% oyinbo to build infrastructure and maintain electric cars in lagos without a single lagosian on site,

Stop thinking a baby my friend, don't let misguided doubts obstruct your thinking abilities.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 5:54pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

Oh lawd,
They don't have to point nothing out to you, common sense should tell you that the freeking cars are not gonna maintain themselves and supporting infrastructures are not gonna drop down from heaven.

Hhhhmmm. . . .  if this is how you come about your version of common sense, then I probably don’t want to have what you are having.

babapupa:

lol, private company handling the project, I guess they're gonna import 100% oyinbo to build infrastructure and maintain electric cars in lagos without a single lagosian on site

WOW. So, all private companies that can handle this project are  100% Oyinbo in your world? There are currently NO Electric cars /hybrids in Nigeria as we speak? No private ventures already involved in this sort of project or similar in all of Nigeria, let alone Lagos? I seriously don’t want what you are having.

babapupa:

Stop thinking a baby my friend, don't let misguided doubts obstruct your thinking abilities.

Doubts? Dude, I think this last line is for you.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 5:56pm On Oct 23, 2009
cvibe:

Electric Vehicles? I guess you guys will be charging it with generators.

I believe they charge them with solar these days,

Must our thinking be crude and backward?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 5:57pm On Oct 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Hhhhmmm. . . .  if this is how you come about your version of common sense, then I probably don’t want to have what you are having.

WOW. So, all private companies that can handle this project are  100% Oyinbo in your world? There are currently NO Electric cars /hybrids in Nigeria as we speak? No private ventures already involved in this sort of project or similar in all of Nigeria, let alone Lagos? I seriously don’t want what you are having.

Doubts? Dude, I think this last line is for you.

Fine with me because you not making any sense. You even making my point for me.

Does it matter who's in holding the contract? Who cares? As long as they're employing lagosians and they're employing lagosians and they're working on the cars, it's all good.

So what's your point again?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Uche2nna(m): 5:59pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

What's your point? because the state is proposing electric cars doesn't mean they are not spending money on your everything you listed.
No meaningful development is immune to errors and you can not progress without vision and taking the necessary steps. You have to start from somewhere.

What is development without reasoning? I will tell U what, absolute chaos!!!

Do U jump onto the band wagon because thats the trend ? Alternative energy is the craze now but at what price

And given that Nigeria is a country that has  deeply entrenched the culture of maintenance and waste disposal, I am sure that those advocating for electric cars at this point have come up with very safe startegies to dispose of , say, the , batteries which by the way is not your normal lead acid battery. We all know how well dispose of the normal lead acid battery in Nigeria.

I am sure that the progressive minded guys like babapupa have come up with strategies to also minimise road mishaps cos with all the electricity surging throu an electric car , U can only begin to imagine what will happen if one of those cars happen to be involved in an accident.

U dont have to import electric cars to prove that U are ecofriendly,  Just take care of all the pure water jackets lying around the city and U will be as ecofriendly as south pole.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 6:03pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

You pulled up garbage,

Sunborn Yatch - Lagos Denies Financial Involvement

http://allafrica.com/stories/200910160340.html

I don't know who is saying the truth again and who is lying. The first link is not working but the 2nd link works. This allegation has been on for over one year only for his press secretary to deny it last week. Nigerian govt is not immune to lies. Same newspaper reported this :

http://allafrica.com/stories/200811120064.html
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Fhemmmy: 6:04pm On Oct 23, 2009
I am disappointed that Fashola of all people will make such a suggestion, there is no electricity to even charge fones, and now they wanna be able to electrically drive cars?
I will want and see.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 6:07pm On Oct 23, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I am disappointed that Fashola of all people will make such a suggestion, there is no electricity to even charge fones, and now they wanna be able to electrically drive cars?
I will want and see.

Solar is still a viable option and power generation is out of Fashola's jurisdiction. We all know this.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 6:09pm On Oct 23, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I will want and see.

You can't be quick to accuse him because this could still be a proposition from parties like Babapupa who has special interest in the contract. The next one they will recommend for him is to build a tube to the Lagos island.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 6:09pm On Oct 23, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

I don't know who is saying the truth again and who is lying. The first link is not working but the 2nd link works. This allegation has been on for over one year only for his press secretary to deny it last week. Nigerian govt is not immune to lies. Same newspaper reported this :

http://allafrica.com/stories/200811120064.html

Fashola denied it in February.

Press Releases

Feb 19, 2009 - Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN), at the weekend stated categorically that the Lagos State Government did not commit any money to the purchase of Sunborn Yatch on the Lagoon along the Marina in Central Lagos.

Fielding questions from Government House Correspondents at the new Lagos House, Governor Fashola said what the Government did was to engage a partnership predicated on a business initiative by a Private Sector operator who was interested in providing the facility as a way to provide accommodation to visitors in the State, especially on weekends.

“It is factually incorrect that Lagos State Government acquired that Yatch. We did not. What we did was to engage a partnership. That partnership was predicated on a business initiative by a Private Sector operator who felt that Lagos hotels were usually fully booked over the weekend and that there was opportunity, rather than build a whole new hotel, to get the facility which would provide hotel lodging on the waterways”, the Governor said adding that the Government encouraged the initiative.

According to the Governor, the involvement of the State Government was to the extent of providing a mooring facility and land near the mooring facility that would serve as booking hall and reception for the facility.

Governor Fashola, however, explained that the operators had not come back to him since they made the acquisition to indicate when they intend to deploy the operation of the boat, adding, “But the boat does not belong to the Lagos State Government. We did not buy it”.

“But we engaged and we are still ready to engage that partnership to provide that kind of facility that they sought to bring, which is a hotel on the water and we will make our necessary commitment when we see clearly how to proceed to actually realize the investment that business concern has made”, he said.

Offering a panacea to ameliorate the effect of the global economic meltdown on the country, Governor Fashola called for the consideration of the release of a quarter of the nation’s foreign reserve into the local economy as a way of cushioning the effect of meltdown.

Governor Fashola said that just as China recently released the sum of $568Billion into the Chinese economy to cushion the effect, now is the time for Nigeria to draw down on its foreign reserves, adding that what is missing in the Nigerian economy in terms of effect of the global financial meltdown is about $3Billion.

He said the country should also consider the possibility of lending local Nigerian banks from the foreign reserve at prevailing foreign interest rates.

Governor Fashola emphasized that today, globally, the prices of so many items have dropped, adding that now is the time for the country to consider buying up some refineries overseas or even engage professionals to build new ones.

He explained that this has become necessary because most of the construction outfits and professionals abroad are experiencing a lull which could be capitalized upon now for the nation to put its major manufacturing concerns in place.

According to Governor Fashola, “this is the period when the Nigerian foreign reserves should be constructively used, because it also represents a period when the nation is free from all forms of debts and have foreign reserves”.

Continuing he added: “Truly there is recession, but has it truly affected the fundamentals of the Nigerian economy. In our critical sectors like transportation and power, there has been depression such that there are no efficient rail services operational in the country. No coaches can take us to Ibadan as an example in two hours”.

The Governor also said now that Western economies are depressed, the country needs to consider what its options are because the Nigerian economy cannot be equated to Western economy.

He wondered why the nation is crying wolf now when it has not spent its reserves adding that what is most important now is how to ensure that people are kept in employment.

Governor Fashola who was reacting to a question on what informed his meeting with business leaders in Lagos on Wednesday night said he convened the meeting because he thought the business leaders would serve as a useful source of ideas for the financial meltdown committee set up by President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua of which he is privileged to be a member.

He added that his meeting with the business leaders which is the inaugural one was also aimed at having a feel of what business leaders in Nigeria think and thinking along the line on what kind of laws can be put in place with a view to getting the business leaders informed about how the committee intends to go.

Governor Fashola who also spoke on the bill before the National Assembly on the setting aside of 3.5 percent mandatorily for Corporate Social Responsibilty said such a legislation would not be business friendly.

He added that any form of legislation which seeks to concern itself about earnings of corporate concerns which were legitimate and making it compulsive for such organizations to set aside a definite amount is not going to help the Nigerian economy.

He added that especially against the background that the country has an economy which is trying to promote Foreign Direct Investments (FDI), such a legislation may be counterproductive.

The Governor said the Lagos State Government as an example has refused to place a benchmark or tax on the issue of security in the state, especially since the business organizations have to contend with other forms of taxes which they pay to different levels of government.

He said legislations on CSR in Nigeria should rather concern itself about how integrity in governance can be promoted by enthroning probity but not legislations in terms of pecuniary needs.

On media reports that toxic items might have been dumped in the State through fairly used items, Governor Fashola said the State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA) would investigate and determine if indeed the items in question are toxic items.

He said the state would first investigate the issue and communicate the people who are exposed to the items and are using it to realize that they are playing with great danger.

He emphasized that the issue of fairly used items are signs of the neglect of the Nigerian economy which allows it to become a dumping ground for other economies.

On the cancelation of the election of Governor Segun Oni in Ekiti State, Governor Fashola told the newsmen that the judgment has shown that injustice cannot stand in a society of men.

He added that the pronouncement represent one of the first steps to political reform which has been taken by the judiciary and has shown that electoral malpractice would not be allowed to go unpunished.

Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by MUZBO(m): 6:10pm On Oct 23, 2009
Poster, all u should consider really is the concept behind the need for d electric cars- to combat climate change! No one said that will be cheap. The melting polar ice and extreme weather will not wait for anyone. The only disturbing fact is that Lagos a part of this unindustralized Nigeria is in the fore-front to combat clime change but it is soothing that Gov Fash's effort is being honoured. So poster though I'd have suggested they encourage hybrids first but its still all good. If you think because we lack constant power then we dont need electric cars then pls throw your fridge away because its pretty much the same thing and so you dont need it.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by rasputinn(m): 6:11pm On Oct 23, 2009
That could very well be the first project in which Gov BRF would fail woefully,except of course he first deals with the perceived fear among many (judging from an interview I read sometime ago)that electric cars do actually shock,very few Lagosians actually would like to be in faulty electric cars while wading through the flooded roads of Lagos
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 6:12pm On Oct 23, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

You can't be quick to accuse him because this could still be a proposition from parties like Babapupa who has special interest in the contract.

Quit being childish and ridiculous. Let's hang with the issue.

I've debunked everything you pulled out from under your lapel and if you have more, come with it.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 6:14pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

Fine with me because you not making any sense. You even making my point for me.

I hate to wake you up here with this but YOU HAVE NOT MADE ANY POINT.  All you have done to this point is show you are willing to BLINDLY support this project, even though you seem to have a lot of questions about it going by the way you have tried to provide PLASTER arguments FOR the project to this point.

There was NEVER a mention of the construction of a solar grid recharge center but you have conveniently added that portion and made it fact for this project. You have also argued that there is no money for such projects as the rail project and other basics but have CONVENIENTLY skipped that in your support of this project, which is likely to cost just as much as some of the other basics, and maybe more.

babapupa:

Does it matter who's in holding the contract? Who cares?

Apparently it does matter to you since you mentioned that some 100% Oyinbo private company will likely get it. I would think that someone who really cares would  care enough to be sure that if such a contract were awarded, it would go to a competent company with track record of providing results.

babapupa:

As long as they're employing lagosians and they're employing lagosians and they're working on the cars, it's all good.
So what's your point again?

So, now it matters as long as they are employing Lagosians, and Lagosians are working on the cars? Since we do not have information on who gets employed and how many would actually be lagosians, don’t you think you should now show that you care??

My point is you cannot make a point for this by patching together random disconnected claims and think you make a point from all that.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 6:14pm On Oct 23, 2009
rasputinn:

That could very well be the first project in which Gov BRF would fail woefully,except of course he first deals with the perceived fear among many (judging from an interview I read sometime ago)that electric cars do actually shock,very few Lagosians actually would like to be in faulty electric cars while wading through the flooded roads of Lagos

Show me your crystal ball and I'll role with you,
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 6:15pm On Oct 23, 2009
MUZBO:

Poster, all u should consider really is the concept behind the need for d electric cars- [size=14pt]to combat climate change[/size]! No one said that will be cheap. The melting polar ice and extreme weather will not wait for anyone. The only disturbing fact is that Lagos a part of this unindustralized Nigeria is in the fore-front to combat clime change but it is soothing that Gov Fash's effort is being honoured. So poster though I'd have suggested they encourage hybrids first but its still all good. If you think because we lack constant power then we dont need electric cars then pls throw your fridge away because its pretty much the same thing and so you dont need it.

Why not start from the locomotive manures that litters every Nigerian street?. Chop first before joining Oyibo in earth restoration campaign  grin grin. Apart from Lake chad that is drying up, most of the adverse effects of technology on this planet will affect Industrialized nations before us. grin grin grin
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 6:17pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

Solar is still a viable option and power generation is out of Fashola's jurisdiction. We all know this.

Solar power generation is POWER generation. Solar is NOT NEW, but it is well known that it can get expensive. Like I mentioned earlier, to power just one electric car, you are looking at the cost of powering a whole house, on a regular basis, using solar energy. Currently, you can power a light 100W light bulb with a solar panel that probably cost about $200 to get and install.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 6:18pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

Quit being childish and ridiculous. Let's hang with the issue.

I've debunked everything you pulled out from under your lapel and if you have more, come with it.

No you've not . You are yet to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Lagos state is not involved in that deal in its entirety. If not, why is the house investigating the allegation?:

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/5472530-146/Lagos_Assembly_uncovers_more_details_on.csp
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 6:36pm On Oct 23, 2009
Electric cars in Nigeria , Wonderful grin grin grin
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Horus(m): 6:49pm On Oct 23, 2009
[size=17pt] Africa's first all-electric car[/size]

South Africa's first locally developed electric car made its debut at the Paris Motor Show last week. The zero-emission Joule is a six-seater multi-purpose vehicle designed by Cape Town-based Optimal Energy in association with legendary South African-born automotive designer Keith Helfet. According to Optimal Energy, the world's finite energy resources are being used inefficiently, with urban transport playing a major role in energy wastage and climate changing pollution – something the company aims to change with the Joule, which uses just 20% of the energy needed by a conventional car. "We have capitalised on the opportunity presented by the exponential increase in oil costs and the dramatic improvement in battery price, life and performance," Optimal Energy CEO Kobus Meiring said in a statement last week. "Joule's value proposition is made more compelling when environmental influences such as increasing pollution and global warming phenomena caused by the rapid increase in urbanisation are also considered."In addition, the company aims to use the Joule to fulfil its vision of establishing and leading the electric vehicle industry in South Africa as a springboard to global expansion.

[img]http://www.southafrica.info/cm_pics/business/2780-7380-10443-0_1647673.jpg[/img]

South African roots

The Joule's interior and exterior was styled by Keith Helfet, who has a long and illustrious history as chief stylist at Jaguar, being responsible for such iconic designs as the XJ220, the XK180 and the F-Type. "Keith was serendipitously introduced to Optimal Energy while purchasing coastal property in South Africa and was immediately captivated by our vision," said Meiring. "Optimal Energy was searching for a world-class designer, and the fact that Keith is South African born and has strong South African roots matched our criteria perfectly."Meiring, meanwhile, has a strong track record in managing hi-tech projects in South Africa: he has worked as programme manager to Denel's Rooivalk attack helicopter project, and as project manager for the South African Large Telescope (Salt).

Lithium ion battery packs

The Joule's chassis has been designed to accommodate two large-cell lithium ion battery packs, which employ chemistry similar to that used in mobile phones and laptop computers. The cells are inherently safe, as they do not contain any heavy metals. Using a normal 220 volt home outlet and the Joule's onboard charger, it will take approximately seven hours to recharge the car's battery pack for a 200 kilometre driving range – with the two battery packs providing 400 kilometres in total. The car also has regenerative ABS braking technology, through which the batteries are charged when the brakes are used. The Joule's large battery bay is able to accommodate a number of different battery configurations from different suppliers, giving the customer the choice of performance and cost.
"Studies show that 99% of urban users drive less than 150 kilometres a day, [and] Optimal Energy recommends that only one battery pack is necessary to power Joule," said Meiring.

[img]http://www.southafrica.info/cm_pics/business/2780-7380-10443-0_1647692.jpg[/img]

Sufficient grid capacity

Independent analysis of Eskom has confirmed that the South African grid has enough capacity to supply electrical energy to millions of cars without affecting its customer base or requiring any additional infrastructure. Eskom has vast amounts of excess energy between 11pm and 6am, which will be the recommended recharging time. The South African province of Gauteng is currently being evaluated for Joule’s first assembly plant, as it has the biggest cities and has expressed interest in placing the first fleet orders. Although supplier lists are not yet final, it is expected that the local content of Joule will be more than 50%.Joule will be sold in all major South African centres - throughout Gauteng, Cape Town and Durban - and will be available towards the end of 2010. The Joule was also developed with the international market in mind, and sales and exports will follow shortly after the South African launch.

Source: http://www.southafrica.info/business/trends/newbusiness/joule-061008.htm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Is There Any Online Biz That Can Pay Directly Into My Bank Account? / CBN To Punish Landlords & Schools That Ask For Dollars / 5 Online Businesses With Low Start Up Capital That Can Make You Rich

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.