Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] - Business (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] (16840 Views)

CBN To Introduce Lower Denominations On Atms / CBN To Introduce N5,000 Note / CBN Plans To Introduce N5000, N2000 Notes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 6:29am On Oct 25, 2009
Roflmao @AloyEmeka!!

Is it possible that you could IGNORE these posts that are just meant to keep taking away from the main issue here? I think it is clear at this point that this to him is just another avenue to advertize THE MAN rather than focusing on the IDEA itself which is what the thread is really about. There has been some rather interesting and intelligent comments on this issue and I believe if we IGNORE the ramblings, we might get some really good input here.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 7:30am On Oct 25, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Roflmao @AloyEmeka!!

Is it possible that you could IGNORE these posts that are just meant to keep taking away from the main issue here? I think it is clear at this point that this to him is just another avenue to advertize THE MAN rather than focusing on the IDEA itself which is what the thread is really about. There has been some rather interesting and intelligent comments on this issue and I believe if we IGNORE the ramblings, we might get some really good input here.

I am very sorry. The guy is sounding more desperate and ridiculous at the same time. How can someone post those links in defense of Fashola?.  A hospital like any other in Nigeria and a pledge to open a rice shop?. Does he know how many igbo traders that trot the whole of West India everyday looking for farmers who can sell cheaper rice to them?.

Although lagos state should overlook farming from my opinion. there are so many arable states in Nigeria whose governors walk around clueless in chieftancy attires.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by agitator: 8:14am On Oct 25, 2009
babapupa:

Fashola is helping and doing the federal government's job in a lot of areas.

Lagos to distribute 200 transformers to rural communities

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/09/10/lagos-to-distribute-200-transformers-to-rural-communities/

Lagos Unveils Solar Lamp, Water Heater

http://thepmnews.com/2009/10/08/lagos-unveils-solar-lamp-water-heater

Solar Power brings light to the dark Nigerian village.

www.ecofriend.org/entry/solar-power-brings-light-to-the-dark-nigerian-village/+solar+lamp+lagos+state&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a">http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:YzUoWvXcTsIJ:www.ecofriend.org/entry/solar-power-brings-light-to-the-dark-nigerian-village/+solar+lamp+lagos+state&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

When the world is up with their gloves tapping alternative renewable energy sources, Nigeria does not seem to stay behind in the race - its tropical climate makes solar energy the most viable alternative energy source.

Bishop Kodji is the first village that got electrified under the Lagos State government’s pilot solar energy project. It is a small island in the Atlantic Ocean off Nigeria, living on fishing and canoe carvings.

Typical Nigerian way of thinking. Taking photos of villagers with solar panels. Please show us the wiring and the houses that are lighted up.

Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by agitator: 8:19am On Oct 25, 2009
babapupa:

Fashola is solely equipping the Nigerian Police in Lagos,

Fashola Presents 114 Patrol Vehicles To Police

http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=8685

He even set up a police trust fund to care for The Nigerian Police in Lagos,

What do you want from the man? To perform magic and solve Nigeria's problem this very minute.

When they do, you knock them down

When they're not doing, you knock them down

Lagos state government is not the only state that had provided equipment for the Nigerian police (check you facts)

you are trying to argue blindly 9ja way, and that is what has brought us to where we are now. Somebody does little things he is praised when he starts deviating and people complain, others will justify it by pointing out the things he had done before, thereby encouraging him. Pointing out fault is not crucifying him.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 8:27am On Oct 25, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

How do you know that?

Many hospitals are better than this crap you posted above. What is the big deal about new beds, some microscope, oximeters and a small autoclave?. The major business my family is involved in is hospital equipments and I understand the business more than you can count ABC.  Nevertheless, his effort is commendable for a government hospital but don't mention it to another person that it has the best diagnostic eqipment in Nigeria unless there are more equipments that are not shown in the picture.Again, Fashola is trying but I don't know why you keep posting this road everywhere as if its the only road in Lagos besides, other states are doing the same in road construction.

Pictures will not cut this, where is the water?

You've messed up all your efforts to boost Fashola's image on this thread with this rubbish you posted here. What is the big deal about starting a rice brand?. Why is Lagos state meddling with that kind of business in the first place?. I am talking about farming like Obasanjo farms and not a rice brand.  $20K will fill one 40ft container of rice from bangladesh and you can create a brand with it. If you like, you can call it BABAPUPA parboiled rice. If it sells, you head to CAC with a lawyer, make the name official and head to India, Thailand or Bangladesh for more supply. You may need to prepare to stay longer abroad  because it takes time to bag the rice and they wouldn't bag it for you unless you pay upfront. Let me teach you small scale enterprise so that Fashola's maga won't make you tremble next time.  I created my first business brand at age 22.
A lot of this nonsense you posted up here are in Nigeria mainly run by catholic charities. Go to Umuahia, Enugu, Onitsha, Iperu Remo, Adoka, Benue state, Jos etc. Get real  please, its either you haven't travelled beyond Lagos in Nigeria or you are convinced you just caught one online mugu in me.

Dude, you said the state is not doing anything about roads, food and medical.

I produced credible evidence  that the state is spending money and paying attention to everything you listed.

Don't you first have to admit that the state is indeed doing something about medical before you start latching on to the fact that it's not up to your armchair standard? what do you really want? do you really know what you want or you're just b-polar?

Let me indulge and stoop to your level for a second.

I don't care what you know or what your family is into. I worked at a couple of hospitals too and I know what's in the pictures.

What are major diagnostic tools? Xray, MRI, Cat scan, fully equipped and functional lab like the one in the picture.

So, did you conveniently forgot to list those or prejudice took over while you were listing  your microscope, oximeters and a small autoclave?

Did you really missed all the big machines and spotted just the little bitty oximeters, lmao

Btw, you lied, I know a whole lot about oximeters and there's non in the pictures.

See how bad bele and prejudice took over your brain?

But your argument was that the state is not investing in medical.

Instead of crying like you always do, why don't you show me a better equipped hospital like the one in the picture, do that or just keep quiet.

About badagry express, sounds like it's paining you.  Did you not criticize the state for not spending on roads?

Talk is cheap, show me a modern 10 lane freeway with dedicated BRT lane and light rail system outside Lagos state. It doesn't exist in Abuja, not even in Africa/outside Nigeria.

About water, I'm sure you know how to read and comprehend.

About food, why the side story? Again, don't you have to first admit that the state doing something about food before typing your side essay? And it's not the state's job to set up aggro business, Lagos state is not a private entity like Obasanjo.

Private entities invests in those while the state creates subsidies and conducive environment to operate, but ours is a country where people are not investing in Aggro business.  

Having said, the state is still steeping up with it's own initiatives with projects like the eko rice to augment food supply within the state.

Is it not stupid and dumb to be asking the state to do what Obasanjo is doing with public funds? Really, do you think before you touch your keyboard or you're just clueless.  

Your demands, suggestions and criticisms are not only ludicrous, they're ridiculous and puerile.

About the transit home for victims of domestic violence, show me something similar or anything at all in any other state or just keep quiet.

How do you know that?

You just proved my point.

I said if Fashola solved Nigeria's problems tomorrow, you'll still come up with something to cry about.

I just listed what Fashola did or is doing about everything you cried about, but you still managed to cry, belittle, negate and discount everything.

Quote from: Aloy~Emeka on Yesterday at 05:57:28 PM
The closest we need now is to map the whole Nigeria digitally, reinvent a functional police that are lettered. State governors can then purchase choppers for the police so they can combat crimes aerially. I don't see how expensive this will be. The private sector especially the banks that carry money around should be taxed more for the maintenance of the aerial police.

Lagos flags-off digital mapping, geographical info system
By Sonny Aragba-Akpore and Adeyemi Adepetun

FOR Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola, the state should score many firsts before 2011 when his tenure expires.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/compulife/article01//indexn3_html?pdate=170609&ptitle=Lagos%20flags-off%20digital%20mapping,%20geographical%20info%20system&cpdate=180609

http://happylagosian..com/search?q=digital

Obviously and fortunately for Lagosians,  Fashola is a million miles ahead of you.

Is the man not doing anything and we're just praising him as claimed by many detractors?

Obviously, you have personal/other issues. You sound too prejudicial and bi-polar.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 8:52am On Oct 25, 2009
agitator:

Lagos state government is not the only state that had provided equipment for the Nigerian police (check you facts)

you are trying to argue blindly 9ja way, and that is what has brought us to where we are now.  Somebody does little things he is praised when he starts deviating and people complain, others will justify it by pointing out the things he had done before, thereby encouraging him. Pointing out fault is not crucifying him.

Slow your roll, I said Fashola is solely equipping the Nigerian Police in Lagos, I didn't say he's the only governor providing equipment for the Nigerian police.

So what facts do you want me to check again? Now, who is arguing blindly?

Read and comprehend and quit letting your misguided thoughts shuffle ahead of your brain.

I don't do pessimism and negativity and I'm not asking you not to wallow in your negativity.

We're all sharing Ideas and knowledge about our states/country. Share with me or prove me wrong with your own facts and pictures, @ least I'm man enough to come up with something to support each of my contentions.

And if you don't mind me getting petty just like you. Did any other state donated 114 police cars. Did any other state donated power BMW bikes?

Did any other state created police fund?

Talk is cheap, put up yours or keep quiet.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 9:07am On Oct 25, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

I am very sorry. The guy is sounding more desperate and ridiculous at the same time. How can someone post those links in defense of Fashola?.  A hospital like any other in Nigeria and a pledge to open a rice shop?. Does he know how many igbo traders that trot the whole of West India everyday looking for farmers who can sell cheaper rice to them?.

Although lagos state should overlook farming from my opinion. there are so many arable states in Nigeria whose governors walk around clueless  in chieftancy attires.

But you said he's not doing anything about the food situation in his state and I provided proof that he is. You also cluelessly suggested that he should do what obasanjo is doing with public funds. So, who is ridiculous?

Why don't you show me the any other hospital in naija. Till you do and back everything you're typing with facts, the joke is on you.

lol @ pledge to open rice shop. Dude, Eko Rice hit the market way back in February. You're not even making sense anymore or you just don't know how to read and comprehend.  lmao.

Stop the stupidity abeg.

“Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts.”

E. B. White
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 9:24am On Oct 25, 2009
agitator:

Typical Nigerian way of thinking. Taking photos of villagers with solar panels. Please show us the wiring and the houses that are lighted up.

Basically, you're saying the solar panels are just for decoration? The villagers just like solar panels so den just plant dem for backyard to pose take foto?

Are you even using your brain?

You sure you don't wanna read again?

Bishop Kodji is the first village that got electrified under the Lagos State government’s pilot solar energy project. It is a small island in the Atlantic Ocean off Nigeria, living on fishing and canoe carvings.

Before the successful tapping of solar energy to produce electricity, the 5,000 population here had never known what electricity is! Harnessing renewable energy sources in such remote areas are much cheaper compared to what it takes to connect each village to the national grid. It costs about 150 million naira (around 1.2 million dollars), while solar energy project costs only about 10 million naira (around 83,000 dollars) per village!

You don't have to like the fact that the village is enjoying electricity because Lagos state carried out it's obligation by providing solar alternative.

I do and I'm happy for the villagers.

About the problem with Nigerian way of thinking, some of us are not cynical pessimistic sadists and we don't dwell in negativity and mindless criticism, but you are free to, it's your choice.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 9:36am On Oct 25, 2009
Roflmao @AloyEmeka!!

Is it possible that you could IGNORE these posts that are just meant to keep taking away from the main issue here? I think it is clear at this point that this to him is just another avenue to advertize THE MAN rather than
focusing on the IDEA itself which is what the thread is really about.
There has been some rather interesting and intelligent comments on this issue and I believe if we IGNORE the ramblings, we might get some really good input here.

See irony.

Is the same AloyEmeka you're rolling on the floor with not the same person responsible for diverting the thread? Who was crying about food, roads and medical? Abi not the same AloyEmeka you're hi 5ing? what's electric cars got to do with food, water and medical? or is Aloy Emeka and his posts invisible to you?

Did you say anything to him about staying with the issues? Of course not, why act dumb with your silly post?

Even with you still siting and whispering from the fence like a coward, your post is still full or hypocrisy and dishonesty. Shouldn't you be Roflmao at your absurd post?

Btw, pulling facts and pictures to highlight your points points = advertize THE MAN?

Is it paining you that I'm backing up my points with facts and pictures?

You must have been advertising folks with all the links you've posted in this thread alone.

Very comical.

You really are overworking your brain.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by MUZBO(m): 11:40am On Oct 25, 2009
@Babapupa, don't waste time defending Fash from these crap-talking bunch of player haters. Aloy started this thread with the intent to disparage so they'd never be rational. Kobojunkie is busy living the American dream, driving SUVs and contributing to the green house effect yet telling us to ride bicycles instead of electric cars. When I brought in some superior points he became as quiet as a church mouse. The CNN program- Inside Africa did an exposé on Fash and his exploits on the environment and Fash said: "We have decided to do things that people can see and judge us by. . .". Let those cortically blind knock-out mice keep knocking themselves out; the sun would shine whether they see it or not!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by wirinet(m): 11:50am On Oct 25, 2009

Before the successful tapping of solar energy to produce electricity, the 5,000 population here had never known what electricity is! Harnessing renewable energy sources in such remote areas are much cheaper compared to what it takes to connect each village to the national grid. It costs about 150 million naira (around 1.2 million dollars), while solar energy project costs only about 10 million naira (around 83,000 dollars) per village!

Babapupa, you are going to make me to start looking at Fashola more critically with all the lies and propaganda you are spewing out on nairaland. We already appreciate how Fashola is transforming lagos, so you do not need to tell us cock and bull stories to vote him in in 2011.

You said he wants to introduce electric cars in 2010, i explained that it is not a feasible project and even asked you to show me where electric cars had been provided for public or private transportation in any part of the world. You defense was that you do not know the details of the scheme, but you are ready to defend the scheme with your life.

Then you bought a fable that Fashola want to power a village of 5,000 inhabitants with solar energy, you then went on to lie that to connect the village of 5,000 inhabitant to the national grid would cost 150 million naira but with solar energy would be about 10millon.

Let me enlighten you on the  technical details;

A village of 5,000 should have at least 1,000 houses or hut, assuming an average of 5 persons per household. And the basic electrical consumption should be at least 200w, allowing for a few light bulbs, a fan, TV, video and radio. (No fridge, Electric cooker or Iron). So the total consumption of the village should approximate 200,000watts or 200kilowatts. (minus light consumption for public spaces and street lights). To generate a 200kw of electricity using solar would cost well over 10 million naira. In fact to generate about 10kw to power a well fitted house by only solar energy would cost you at least 5 million. I am sure your defense would be "i do not have the details" as usual. Maybe what fashola did was to but some solar lamps costing between 5,000 - 10,000 naira and place them in public places, and voila, Fashola has powered a village using solar.

I looked at your links and found out that you just googled " solar lamp lagos state" and then copy and paste whatever information you find, without understanding the facts.

First the very first statement of the site which says[b] "The tropical climate makes solar energy the most viable alternative source of renewable energy in Nigeria"[/b], is wrong.  Solar energy is not usually viable in tropical climates, not enough sunshine hours, too much humidity, wind not powerful or sustained for long enough, and a host of other problems. Solar energy is more viable in desert areas or very windy coasts of the world. In the tropics, solar energy is best used in conjunction with national grid or generator, so one would act as a back up for the other.

Observation: I noticed that there are lots of days when the traffic lights installed by the lagos state government do not work due to inadequate sunshine. The designers should not have relied solely on Solar, they should have incorporated grid electricity and a small storage battery, so that one can act as back up for the other.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by MUZBO(m): 12:42pm On Oct 25, 2009
wirinet:

You do not need to get emotional about this issue. i can bet you that I understand global warming and its effects more than you. . .I mean that it is the industrialized nations that produce over 90% of the gases that causes global warming. So it is their governments that should be taking steps to combat global warming, .
1st, except you have a Ph.D in Geography or related disciplines then forget about knowing more about Global warming than me.
2nd, there are many western 'fads' that they sell us but they always try to prove its true. They might be paying lip service to it but its effects are global. We also have our own ways of increasing green house gases like bush burning, logging and deforestation. Then, I read your piece on the controversy surrounding the real causes of global warming and would still maintain that the main cause is still linked to green house gases. Some years back in europe or so, temperatures suddenly dropped after a rainfall causing the rain drops on electric poles to freeze thus becoming too heavy and causing collapse of the poles. If we are at the hot extreme of the ice age theory then what caused that ice age phenomenon in europe? Only the green house effect adequately explains these extreme weathers and that why we must act! Responsible govts like Fashs' knows this.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by wirinet(m): 1:21pm On Oct 25, 2009
MUZBO:

1st, except you have a Ph.D in Geography or related disciplines then forget about knowing more about Global warming than me.
2nd, there are many western 'fads' that they sell us but they always try to prove its true. They might be paying lip service to it but its effects are global. We also have our own ways of increasing green house gases like bush burning, logging and deforestation. Then, I read your piece on the controversy surrounding the real causes of global warming and would still maintain that the main cause is still linked to green house gases. Some years back in europe or so, temperatures suddenly dropped after a rainfall causing the rain drops on electric poles to freeze thus becoming too heavy and causing collapse of the poles. If we are at the hot extreme of the ice age theory then what caused that ice age phenomenon in europe? Only the green house effect adequately explains these extreme weathers and that why we must act! Responsible govts like Fashs' knows this.

Nigerians and their paper qualification mentality. I do not have a degree in geography, i did not even take the subject in secondary school. But i am very obsessed with astronomy and that made me study and understand the astronomical aspect of geography better than most people.

So for you not to understand the cause of ice ice age means i understand Geography (at least the astronomical aspect of it), more than you.

Ice ages on earth is caused by a combination of three main cycles of the earths movements. There are;

The eccentricity of the earth's orbit rotates in a 23,000 yr cycle, meaning the earths orbit sometimes get rounder and sometimes more elongated.

The axial tilt rotates in a cycles of 41,000yrs. meaning the angle between Earth's rotational axis and the normal to the plane of its orbit moves from 22.1 degrees to 24.5 degrees and back again on a 41,000-year cycle.

The precession of the earths rotation completes a cycle every 26,00,000 years. meaning the Earth's axis completes one full cycle of precession approximately every 26,000 years.

All these three create a cycle of 100,000 years ice age cycles on earth.

Global warming is not caused by a single factor but a complex interaction of factors, green house gasses being one of them
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by MUZBO(m): 3:42pm On Oct 25, 2009
wirinet:

Nigerians and their paper qualification mentality. I do not have a degree in geography, i did not even take the subject in secondary school. But i am very obsessed with astronomy and that made me study and understand the astronomical aspect of geography better than most people.

So for you not to understand the cause of ice ice age means i understand Geography (at least the astronomical aspect of it), more than you.

The eccentricity of the earth's orbit rotates in a 23,000 yr cycle, meaning the earths orbit sometimes get rounder and sometimes more elongated. . .

All these three create a cycle of 100,000 years ice age cycles on earth.

Global warming is not caused by a single factor but a complex interaction of factors, green house gasses being one of them
Non-Nigerians and their feel-among mentality! So because I didn't go into the numerical details and physics of the ice age makes you think you know more? NEVER! I know about the ice age, mammoths and T-Rexes. Who gives a rat's a$s about your obsession? I'm also obsessed with space sciences and pre-historic monsters. What about the asteroid theory that is claimed to have wiped them out rather than ICE?
Who doesn't know global warming has a combo of causative factor? I said green house gases are the most important. You can't deny that!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by fyneguy: 3:55pm On Oct 25, 2009
What I still don't understand about these naysayers is their thought process.

Are you saying Fashola is going to abadon all other projects you consider more germaine and focus on this electric car project?

That's an unfair and jaundiced point of view!  Whenever the government comes up with a new project plan, naysayers are in hurry to label it ''misplaced priority'' as if the government is not working on other projects.

A poster here said he wanted to see the rail project completed first. I wonder how the electric car project will affect the rail project.

@Kobojunkie

I think you got the economic principle behind this idea all wrong.

Let me cite an instance: A company in Lagos, makers of floorflex tiles, invested about N180 million on solar energy to power
their operations. Before this, they were paying atleast N250,000 monthly to NEPA for power supply that was epileptic and had to use generator as a backup. So we can conviniently say their energy cost, conservatively, would be between N500,000 and N2M  (Nepa bills, diesel and gen maintenance).

The N180 million solar set up was guaranteed for 40 years with little or no maintenance cost. Whereas in 40 years, they would spend over N240 million, using Nepa and generator power sources (@N500,000 million minimum).

Does it not make economic sense?

I know you would say that's a private organization. Hey! no, this applies to all!

Do you know how much government spends on fuelling their pool of cars? May be you should find out.

If government should invest in the electric car solar-powered energy supply stations, it would still save much in the long run.

Like I said earlier, there's nothing wrong in coming up with far-reaching ideas that will help our society while not jettisoning other more pressing concerns.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 4:29pm On Oct 25, 2009
fyneguy:

@Kobojunkie
I think you got the economic principle behind this idea all wrong.

Let me cite an instance: A company in Lagos, makers of floorflex tiles, invested about N180 million on solar energy to power
their operations. Before this, they were paying atleast N250,000 monthly to NEPA for power supply that was epileptic and had to use generator as a backup. So we can conviniently say their energy cost, conservatively, would be between N500,000 and N2M  (Nepa bills, diesel and gen maintenance).

The N180 million solar set up was guaranteed for 40 years with little or no maintenance cost. Whereas in 40 years, they would spend over N240 million, using Nepa and generator power sources (@N500,000 million minimum).

Does it not make economic sense?

The above makes economic sense. 

Now think of the US government embarking on installing SOLAR PANELS in all its offices in the name of saving money. Do you think the American people would by that? You would probably see people protest in the millions for days on end.

fyneguy:

I know you would say that's a private organization. Hey! no, this applies to all!
Do you know how much government spends on fuelling their pool of cars? May be you should find out.
If government should invest in the electric car solar-powered energy supply stations, it would still save much in the long run.

Now you are mixing things up. IF WE KEEP to WHAT WE KNOW NOW, you will note that

a) The government IS APPARENTLY NOT selling this idea as way to SAVE MONEY ON FUELING CARS. If that was the case, one would expect a push to accelerate the pace of the rail project as well as a push for more BRT hybrid/electric buses or something.We are talking of a government that essentially gets a REBATE check each money from OIL( even though these governments spend millions of naira on fueling, they get millions more back from profits made from OIL). Do you think the world would not laugh if Saudi Arabia decided it wanted to start purchasing ELECTRIC cars to "SAVE MONEY ON FUEL"?

b) Electric cars are NOT necessarily a way to save money considering  that for you to save money with those cars, you essentially have to be able to provide energy to charge them at a cost LOWER than the current cost of FUELING the same cars. I am betting IF the government DECIDES to go with setting up a CHARGE STATION as the ones in the pictures we have seen so far (Since we have NO CLUE at this point that charge stations are even in the plan), you are looking at about $5000 extra in investment to make sure each car is charged (this does not include maintenance of any kind).

Saving money with electric cars really depends on where you are and what is obtained. For instance, here in the United States, the average electric car owner can boast of saving money with an electric car since cost of POWER here is DIRT CHEAP. Some reports have put it at about $0.35 cent per gallon to charge an electric car. This is compared to $3.00 per gallon for gasoline fill-ups.

c) The idea is being sold as way to SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT. We have yet to AGGRESSIVELY invest in CHEAP and affordable ways of doing this though. As mentioned earlier, I have over the years had a change of mind as a human being on what it means to be green. At first, we were bombarded with ridiculous ideas that we had to spend lots of money to be green. Then we started sifting through it all to realize that all the hype about needing to spend so much to save the earth was just that, hype.

One can help save the planet by simply changing bulbs in the house, walking more and driving less, opting to take mass transportation more often than not and essentially other little things.  Cities have since then been working hard to improve transportation. I can tell you that last year; there was significant decrease in number of drivers and huge increase in number of people taking public transit in my city alone.  Most every road has bike paths added and even the downtown area has a lot of those.

fyneguy:

Like I said earlier, there's nothing wrong in coming up with far-reaching ideas that will help our society while not jettisoning other more pressing concerns.

a) There are far-reaching ideas and then there are ideas that need to be SHELVED until the time is right for them. Many ideas don’t work not because they are NOT good ideas, but simply because the time is NOT right for those ideas to be implemented.

b) When it has to do with the public, COST is a major issue to be looked at. Does this COST currently BENEFIT the public? Does it add to the good at THIS TIME? Or does this cost TAKE AWAY from the coffers money that could potentially yield more benefit if applied in other areas?

c) Of what benefit are these electric cars going to be to members of the general public at this time in the state of Lagos? This is the reason why many people who happen to live in Lagos today have felt the need to post their concerns. If you spend time reading some of the posts which you tag “NAYSAYING” you would at least have to admit to the fact that the many changes that have been taking place have YET To reach a huge majority in the same state. And it is right that people be concerned about what sort of projects the state spends money on, and not on AGGRESSIVELY tackling their immediate concerns.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Princek12(m): 4:50pm On Oct 25, 2009
There  are too many cynics on this thread who are spewing conclusions without premises.  I'll keep it simple.

1) Why is Fashola implementing electric cars without electricity.
A stranger reading that would think Nigeria does not have electricity at all. Admittedly, electricity is not constant in all areas, but Govt. has a way of providing constant electricity if it wants to; for example, I know several NEPA officials who have 24-hr light; Aso villa has 24-hr light; the current U-17 World-Cup stadiums all have 24-hr uninterrupted power. Also, even though I am not a solar expert, none of these cynics are solar experts either. As per the electricity that will be used to power the vehicles, I know that solar electricity can be used to supplement the regular electricity that will be used to power the cars, or it may well be that solar energy can provide a substantial portion of the electricity needed for the electricity cars. Nonetheless, neither do I not these cynics know the full details of how Fashola would power these vehicles to make spew such conjectures.

2) That Fashola should wait for stable electricity before executing his electric vehicle plan
Do you guys realize that if every visionary waited for stable electricity before implementing their plan then nothing would happen at all? If that was the case then think about the ff:
a) The developer of palms plaza would not have constructed the mall because he would have been waiting for stable electricity. Back then, cynics told him that it was irrational to construct a mall without stable electricity since it will be--and it currently is--powered on generators.
b) All the new 3-5 star hotels in Lagos would not be constructed because of infrequent electricity and water. The hotel developers will be waiting on electricity and water to power their elevators.
In short, there is nothing preventing Fashola from contemporaneously implementing electric vehicles and attempting to solve the power problems. Additionally, since the FG has considerable leverage on the resources with which to effectively solve the power crisis, considering that the FG has more resources, Fashola is left to execute as many projects without waiting on the FG. If he waits, he may be waiting for another 30 years. I stand by him because it makes good sense to execute his electricity vehicle plan concurrently with trying to generate power, which he has included in his agenda, but building the infrastructure for electricity generation takes time, and he can't wait.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Princek12(m): 5:03pm On Oct 25, 2009
Kobokunje,

Fashola is aggressively pushing for a rail network in Lagos. As a matter of fact, through the director of LAMATA, the state Govt. solicited bids from investors all over the world in an event that took place in London. As I recall, many private investors have submitted bids for a 25-year concession period within which the private investors will recoup their investment.

The electric vehicle plan is very feasible, of course contingent on the advances in solar technology. I know you guys will google solar panels and copy and paste or paraphrase what you read, but there are solar govt. solutions for solar panels which information may not be readily available through a plain google search.

My point, know the full details of the Fashola plan and the latest advances in solar technologies before coming to your conclusion. I don't think that's asking for too much. You guys are focusing on the solar panels with respect to electricity generation but not discussing it in the context of storage solutions, which is the key. The sun shines a lot in Lagos and if all the energy can be harnessed and stored during the day, I don't see why it is not a feasible plan
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by bawomolo(m): 5:06pm On Oct 25, 2009
The most probable alternative energy cars of the future is not solar cars but hydrogen fuel cars, Hydrogen is converted to electricity to power the cars, so you only need to refill hydrogen gas. The technology is still in its infancy.

you do realize hydrogen fuel cars would require huge volume fuel tanks right?   I don't see how that would be visible.  The energy require to split hydrogen atoms from water is on the high side too.  Hydrogen cars are just as cost intensive as electric cars.

Nigeria is a country blessed with natural gas and coal reserves. that should be used instead.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Princek12(m): 5:13pm On Oct 25, 2009
bawomolo:

you do realize hydrogen fuel cars would require huge volume fuel tanks right?   I don't see how that would be visible.  The energy require to split hydrogen atoms from water is on the high side too.  Hydrogen cars are just as cost intensive as electric cars.

Nigeria is a country blessed with natural gas and coal reserves. that should be used instead.
Nigeria is also blessed with unforgiving sunlight, which is also free. It is still possible to tap into natural gas and coal reserves as well as sunlight.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by bawomolo(m): 5:15pm On Oct 25, 2009
Princek12:

Nigeria is also blessed with unforgiving sunlight, which is also free. It is still possible to tap into natural gas and coal reserves as well as sunlight.

definitely
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 5:16pm On Oct 25, 2009
Princek12:

Really? How much sunlight do u think particularly Lagos have on an average day?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Princek12(m): 5:21pm On Oct 25, 2009
manny4life:

Really? How much sunlight do u think particularly Lagos have on an average day?
Lagos has at least 6-8 hours of sunlight during the dry season. Compared to tropical countries, Nigerian cities have more sunlight than them, which makes our country more amenable to solar panels.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 5:24pm On Oct 25, 2009
Princek12:

We are not sure how long sunlight will remain free in Nigeria with the PDP usurping power in 2011.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 5:24pm On Oct 25, 2009
Princek12:

Lagos has at least 6-8 hours of sunlight during the dry season. Compared to tropical countries, Nigerian cities have more sunlight than them, which makes our country more amenable to solar panels.

Really and where did you get that data from? Or is that self knowledge? Which is it? I ask because my own data from a reliable source reads differently.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 5:26pm On Oct 25, 2009
Princek12:

I don't think solar panels necessarily require sunlight. They only need daylight in order to function properly and they can reserve energy that can run effectively for about 72 hours in the absence of daylight.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by bawomolo(m): 5:27pm On Oct 25, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

We are not sure how long sunlight will remain free in Nigeria with the PDP usurping power in 2011.

lmao
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Princek12(m): 5:27pm On Oct 25, 2009
manny4life:

Really and where did you get that data from? Or is that self knowledge? Which is it? I ask because my own data from a reliable source reads differently.
What are you talking about? I was born, bred, and raised in Lagos. You on the other hand are getting your info from a "reliable data." I am sure there lots of Lagosians on this thread who can educate you more about Lagos. Abeg
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Princek12(m): 5:29pm On Oct 25, 2009
manny4life:

So how many hours of sunlight did your reliable source tell you Lagos gets, then? Back up your talk with data.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Princek12(m): 5:32pm On Oct 25, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

I don't think solar panels necessarily require sunlight. They only need daylight in order to function properly and they can reserve energy that can run effectively for about 72 hours in the absence of daylight.
That has been my point all along. People are focusing on the generating part without talking about the storage. You can store energy from solar panels, and the technologies for storage solutions with respect to solar energy have improved significantly.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 5:46pm On Oct 25, 2009
Princek12:

What are you talking about? I was born, bred, and raised in Lagos. You on the other hand are getting your info from a "reliable data." I am sure there lots of Lagosians on this thread who can educate you more about Lagos. Abeg

That u was born and bred in Lagos have actually nothing to do with me man, I am telling you that your famous data is actually off from mine which I really trust as reliable and non bias. Furthermore, I really don't need anyone to educate me because I have both the hand and brains to read and educate me.

According to a U.S. report release by, between the months of November and May, the average sunlight is 5.6 and the average sunlight from June to October is 3.6, I guess if you take the both average to get an annual average, your number should be about 5.2hrs. I hope that helps ok.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 5:53pm On Oct 25, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

I have a question though, if it actually doesn't need sunlight instead daylight, why are people who are in the northern part of the U.S. not so inclined rather opposed about this solar stuff, after all they have daylight.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

CBN To Punish Landlords & Schools That Ask For Dollars / Is There Any Online Biz That Can Pay Directly Into My Bank Account? / 5 Online Businesses With Low Start Up Capital That Can Make You Rich

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.