Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,974 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:14 PM

Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] (16839 Views)

CBN To Introduce Lower Denominations On Atms / CBN To Introduce N5,000 Note / CBN Plans To Introduce N5000, N2000 Notes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 8:45pm On Oct 23, 2009
Fhemmmy:

And has the govt said, they will tap electricity from solar source/
not at all.
there is a big difference and dont let us just argue blindly.

Freeking irony!!!

Are you not arguing blindly by dumping on what you know little or nothing about beyond the newspaper article.

You yourself don't know the details, you have no clue if the cars are gonna be powered by solar or grid electricity.  

Obviously, you're knocking it just for the heck of it. @ least be honest with yourself because you can not have it both ways.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by clomn(m): 8:53pm On Oct 23, 2009
GOOD IF HE CAN BUT NOT THE REASON FOR PLANNING TO CHASE POOR LAGOSIANS DOWN THE STREET IN THE NAME OF TAX COLLECTION.

I WISH HIM PROGRESS.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 8:54pm On Oct 23, 2009
Either way in which its powered, there isn't just enough electricty. If its through the grid system, then a lot of people would be short on electricty because now their is more consumption than production. If they decide to power through solar power, well there lies our initial argument.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Fhemmmy: 8:55pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

Freeking irony!!!

Are you not arguing blindly by dumping on what you know little or nothing about beyond the newspaper article.

You yourself don't know the details, you have no clue if the cars are gonna be powered by solar or grid electricity.  

Obviously, you're knocking it just for the heck of it. @ least be honest with yourself because you can not have it both ways.

What is the lifespan of a regular fully charged battery by a Solar power?
if you can answer that, then, we will base the argument on that
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Fhemmmy: 8:57pm On Oct 23, 2009
manny4life:

Either way in which its powered, there isn't just enough electricty. If its through the grid system, then a lot of people would be short on electricty because now their is more consumption than production. If they decide to power through solar power, well there lies our initial argument.

Dont mind the dude.
A fully charged solar battery runs for 8 hours and with the traffic on lagos road, it is uselessly useless.
Like i said, it is better to invest such energy and funds into better use, such as making sure everyone has light and not having to hear the noise from gens
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by MUZBO(m): 9:02pm On Oct 23, 2009
Adrenaline:

How much of global warming do you think we can fight by spending all our money on electric cars? only stupid people will think like this. . . As I said before our vehicular emissions are not even SIGNIFICANT in the grand scheme of global warming as compared to the industrialized nations.
Yeeeeeeeeeeeee!! And I thought you were smart. Have you heard of this slogan: Think global, act local!? Of course you haven't. Anyway you will understand it when your child comes home one day and says: Daddy, the strong winds blew our classroom's top off yesterday and our teacher says our parents should come to school tomorrow to plant trees to counter future occurrences. He'll then say: Daddy, think global, act local- thats after asking you for the meaning of counter. Watch out!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 9:07pm On Oct 23, 2009
manny4life:

Now, we're back at square one.

Why knock what you don't know nothing about?

Non of these naysayers have the details on their foreheads so why make sweeping judgment on a proposed project.

This is obviously our national character traits, we lack vision and we knock people with vision and ideas.

@Fhemmmy

Quit repeating the same redundant argument, fax your concern to Abuja for stable electricity.

Power generation in Nigeria as a country is not Fashola's business and if I might add, lagos state has been there and done that, it didn't get the state no where because every mw generated in Nigeria by any entity by law goes into the obsolete federal grid and that is waste of money from the state's point of view.

Are you suggesting that the state should go ahead and make the same mistake twice.

Even a day old baby sabi these facts.

Try again
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 9:08pm On Oct 23, 2009
MUZBO:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeee!! And I thought you were smart. Have you heard of this slogan: Think global, act local!? Of course you haven't. Anyway you will understand it when your child comes home one day and says: Daddy, the strong winds blew our classroom's top off yesterday and our teacher says our parents should come to school tomorrow to plant trees to counter future occurrences. He'll then say: Daddy, think global, act local- thats after asking you for the meaning of counter. Watch out!

Ok, I read your response there and I have to wonder if you are serious here.

ELECTRIC Cars are not meant to be the big weapons in the fight to reduce GLOBAL EMISSIONS persay. Fighting GLOBAL EMISSIONS does not have not be expensive. It costs about as much sometimes, even more sometimes,to power Electric cars, both energy wise and moneywise, when compared to cost of powering the same cars with gasoline. If you read up about the VOLT, which was taken off the market a couple of years ago but now to be brought back in 2010, you would see how the cost does not necessarily help OFFSET emissions. VOLT and most of the other cars we have now claiming to be GREEN are mainly for moving from oil to another power source, cost of production of the alternative not necessarily cheaper.

Those in the villages riding their bikes will do 1000 X more to help fight global emissions, compared to those riding an 30 minutes a day in ELECTRIC cars.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 9:14pm On Oct 23, 2009
Fhemmmy:

What is the lifespan of a regular fully charged battery by a Solar power?
if you can answer that, then, we will base the argument on that

Maybe I shouldn't put petrol in my car because it's gonna dry up after a few hrs anyways,

Try make sense sometimes.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 9:16pm On Oct 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

ELECTRIC Cars are not meant to be the big weapons in the fight to reduce GLOBAL EMISSIONS persay
. Fighting GLOBAL EMISSIONS does not have not be expensive. It costs about as much sometimes, even more sometimes,to power Electric cars, both energy wise and moneywise, when compared to cost of powering the same cars with gasoline.

Those in the villages riding their bikes will do 1000 X more to help fight global emissions, compared to those riding an 30 minutes a day in ELECTRIC cars.

And who's arguing otherwise? The fact is, it's an integral part of it and countries all over the world are doing 'same.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by ezeagu(m): 9:16pm On Oct 23, 2009
Now their playing with you people.  grin
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 9:19pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

Now, we're back at square one.

Non of these naysayers have the details on their foreheads so why make sweeping judgment on a proposed project.

This is obviously our national character traits, we lack vision and we knock people with vision and ideas.

@Fhemmmy

Quit repeating the same redundant argument, fax your concern to Abuja for stable electricity.

Power generation in Nigeria as a country is not Fashola's business and if I might add, lagos state has been there and done that, it didn't get the state no where because every mw generated in Nigeria by any entity by law goes into the national grid and that is waste of money.

Even a day old baby sabi these facts.

Try again

Me? knocking at something I know nothing about? haha,  so pathetic and I won't even reply to that becos its just time wasting you know. Its not worth arguing with you so I will leave it at that ok.

Perhaps I lost it in the begining, oops maybe in the middle of the thread. What detail do you refer to? Talk about judgement? Neither one has passed a judgement but a mere comparative analysis, period. I am doing same thing anyone would do; questioning the validity of the project because you know why, it is the government and it was made public.

Well you can define that as your own characteristics, its one thing to have vision and ideas (trust and believe everyone does), and its another to have the resource in achieving that vision and Ideas and I don't only mean financial resource.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Fhemmmy: 9:23pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

Maybe I shouldn't put petrol in my car because it's gonna dry up after a few hrs anyways,
Try make sense sometimes.

u are so hilarious, if you notice i dont try to yab you or anything.
Now lemme tell yu something.
Gas in your car dont dry up and i hope you know why, but just in case you done, it is cos it is in a tank and if not used, it will be there, unlike a battery, it will be gone, except in a sleep mode, and cars dont have such yet.
So Sir, the man that makes most senses, dont yab when you exchanging views.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 9:23pm On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

And who's arguing otherwise? The fact is, it's an integral part of it and countries all over the world are doing 'same.

Dude, if you really understood how this contradicts most all of your initial claims, you would understand why I would assume you probably did not know this before now.

Now, if you observe the pattern with countries around the world which you claim are already doing it, you would at least admit that most all of them do not experience the level of power hiccups we are still dealing with. Most of them are countries that already have power problems taken care of, and are looking for alternative FUEL sources for powering their economies.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 9:24pm On Oct 23, 2009
manny4life:

Me? knocking at something I know nothing about? haha,  so pathetic and I won't even reply to that becos its just time wasting you know. Its not worth arguing with you so I will leave it at that ok.

Perhaps I lost it in the begining, oops maybe in the middle of the thread. What detail do you refer to? Talk about judgement? Neither one has passed a judgement but a mere comparative analysis, period. I am doing same thing anyone would do; questioning the validity of the project because you know why, it is the government and it was made public.

Well you can define that as your own characteristics, its one thing to have vision and ideas (trust and believe everyone does), and its another to have the resource in achieving that vision and Ideas and I don't only mean financial resource.

My post wasn't directed at you. It actually sided with your post.

Mine was for the against folks,
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 9:30pm On Oct 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Dude, if you really understand how this contradicts most all of your initial claims, you would understand why I would assume you probably did not know this before now.

Now, if you observe the pattern with countries around the world which you claim are already doing it, you would at least admit that most all of them do not experience the level of power hiccups we are still dealing with. Most of these are countries hat already have power problems taken care of and are looking for alternative FUEL sources for powering their economies.

Not again,

You still have to convince me that solar energy can not power what the state proposed or that it's not an available option.

Power generation and distribution in Nigeria is not Fashola's problem and what the state proposed doesn't have to tap the national grid.

You guys can run cycles an play lose with known facts as much as you want, the fact is, it is doable without brick and mortar electricity.

NEXT>>>>>>>
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 9:32pm On Oct 23, 2009
I have nothing else to say till further notice, grin grin grin today is Friday, trick or treat, and the Boo at the Zoo and then head to Georgetown, trying to get out of this freakin office, let me hope my boss will let me leave.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by sjeezy8: 9:37pm On Oct 23, 2009
Why are Nigerians or atleast those who are not from Lagos state so against Lagos' progress? Any progress for Lagos is progress for Nigeria

what does lagos state have to lose?

ONIGBONGBO LCDA SET TO BECOME THE 1ST LGA TO ENJOY UNINTERRUPTED ELECTRICITY!

Respite has come to the way of people of Onigbongbo, Ikeja and its environ as solar street lights are being installed to increase security on our streets without having to wait for the ‘all-powerful’ PHCN whose trade mark is total darkness.

By the time the world comes to an end, or may be I exagerate a little too much which I doubt anyway, with the spate of robbery almost everywhere in the country in recent times, several of these robbery attempts would have been foiled if only PHCN has been magnanimous enough to supply power, at least during the dark hours when you cannot see who is right in front of you.

The rate at which Lagos State the face of lagos mega-city is changing under the able and amiable leadership of Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN) is astonishing. This is due to the fact that people are begining to see reasons and embrace the policies of Fashola’s administration with ethusiasm than it used to be at the begining of any painful reforms and restructuring.

Well, in as much as Lagos State Government under the leadership of Barrister Babatunde Raji Fashola has made the well-being of an average Lagosian a serious business, his efforts must be commended and given the ovation it deserves. Walking arround Lagos State nowadays, there is a newness in it that makes you feel the impact of a responsible Government in place.

The Government of ONIGBONGBO LCDA, under the dynamic and digitally creative leadership of Honourable Idowu Obasa has also begun to receive entreaties from energy investors from Grand Terrace, in Riverside, California, USA, who visited our blogsite and wrote us saying they want to invest in solar electric power generation, transmission and distribution for the Onigbongbo Communities and industrial areas thus setting ONIGBONGBO as the first model community and local government in Nigeria, where uninterrupted electricity can be enjoyed without a blink for the 365 days of the year!

Solar electric power is a revolutionary lighting system which uses photovoltaic equipment that converts sunlight energy during daytime into electric lights in the night-time. The sunlight energy is stored in a maintenance-free, and sealed lead-acid batteries during the daytime, and made available during night-time to power a sodium-vapour lamp.

This independent and renewable lighting system, does not need transmission lines from PHCN, it is energy saving, and environment-friendly.

Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 9:40pm On Oct 23, 2009
Not again,
You still have to convince me that solar energy can not power  what the state proposed or that it's not an available option.

You would first need to SHOW ME where you have me stating that SOLAR ENERGY cannot be used in powering an electric car, so that way I can better answer your question as I have no clue where you get the above from.

Power generation and distribution in Nigeria is not Fashola's problem and what the state proposed doesn't have to tap the national grid.

Yet, Fashola's government DOES generate some power, only it goes to the national grid? Even if we go with your claim that Power generation is not his problem, then why is he buying cars that NEED POWER to run them knowing full well that, according to you, he cannot do much about the POWER GENERATION problem?

You guys can run cycles an play lose with known facts as much as you want, the fact is, it is doable without brick and mortar electricity,

It is NOT doable without ELECTRICITY hence the reason why it is called an ELECTRIC car. Either way, the government is going to have to deal with supplying electricity to power these vehicles. If it decides to GENERATE power via solar means, then it would have to cough up extra thousands of dollars for each car. If you want to know how much it could cost, think of how much it could cost to fully power a whole house using solar energy alone, on a regular basis. If it decides to wait for the FG to solve the POWER GENERATION problems, then maybe it is best the project wait for the FG to be done with that first, since we are not sure when that will happen.

NEXT>>>>>>>

Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 9:42pm On Oct 23, 2009
Fhemmmy:

u are so hilarious, if you notice i dont try to yab you or anything.
Now lemme tell yu something.
Gas in your car dont dry up and i hope you know why, but just in case you done, it is cos it is in a tank and if not used, it will be there, unlike a battery, it will be gone, except in a sleep mode, and cars dont have such yet.
So Sir, the man that makes most senses, dont yab when you exchanging views.

lol @ I don't try to yab you. Who care? That's on you, your silly burden shouldn't be on me so yab away and knock yourself out.

Now, this is what you posted,

Fhemmmy:

Dont mind the dude.
A fully charged solar battery runs for 8 hours and with the traffic on lagos road, it is uselessly useless.
Like i said, it is better to invest such energy and funds into better use, such as making sure everyone has light and not having to hear the noise from gens

You said running, not standing still.

Besides, you argument is just too absurd because we all know the capabilities of electric cars, your rudimentary take and reasoning sounds just too elementary for me.

The only fact I need you to admit is that solar is an available option. You wont because your argument is not based on sound reasoning, it's based on plain ol' criticize just for the fun of it,
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Purist(m): 9:48pm On Oct 23, 2009
Nigerians can really be funny at times.  When the government isn't doing anything, we call for their head.  When they decide to do something, we rubbish the idea.  Not surprising though, I really don't know of any brilliant idea that wasn't first rubbished by supposed "intellectuals". . . of course, they too had their "strong reasons" as to why such ideas were "rubbish".  Seems lots of people have short term memory.  When BRT idea was first proposed then, lots of people called it a white elephant project, and they all had very sound arguments to back up their stance.  Today, they've been proven wrong.

Do you guys honestly think that those who proposed this idea haven't thought of all you're arguing here?  Or you think all there is to the project is what you've read in the newspaper article?  Do you really think that they are oblivious of the electricity problems in Nigeria?  I expect all of us to be asking meaningful questions about this project, instead of condemning it outrightly.  Some are even calling Fashola names already.  Certainly, this is beyond contempt for the seemingly "ridiculous" project.  It appears lots of people are envious that Lagos (Fashola) is perhaps the only state in Nigeria making positive headlines.

I think it'll be wise if we just ask the right questions, and probably give our own suggestions to make it work, rather than list a thousand "sound" reasons why the project cannot work, as if you have all the details concerning the project.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 9:49pm On Oct 23, 2009
ok my boss won't allow me leave early which mean I will actively engage in this argument , lol

First off let me ask becos I'm a little bit confused, this cars would be powered using electircity rite? So the question here I'm assuming is if this cars are powered through the grid system or solar power to generate electricity and all this fuss is coming from the viablity of solar power becasue its the most obvious.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Nobody: 9:52pm On Oct 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

ELECTRIC Cars are not meant to be the big weapons in the fight to reduce GLOBAL EMISSIONS persay. Fighting GLOBAL EMISSIONS does not have not be expensive. It costs about as much sometimes, even more sometimes,to power Electric cars, both energy wise and moneywise, when compared to cost of powering the same cars with gasoline. If you read up about the VOLT, which was taken off the market a couple of years ago but now to be brought back in 2010, you would see how the cost does not necessarily help OFFSET emissions. VOLT and most of the other cars we have now claiming to be GREEN are mainly for moving from oil to another power source, cost of production of the alternative not necessarily cheaper.

I wasnt gona reply dat dude, but God bless you for that reply Mr Kobojunkie, I like your way of reasoning. We havent even stopped flaring gas in 2009!!! and some peeps are yacking on about some crazily expensive electric cars?? undecided  

These cars will discharge all their batteries in our ever present traffick jams and you'll probably spend most of your time worrying about how to get em recharged anyway, or you might jus run out of battery life  in one dark alley one night and get robbed and killed, or while trying to negotiate in the flooded craters we have on our roads after a typical rainy day, the whole car is shorted!! and you have to sit there crying your eyes out with no help anywhere near you, tongue lol. Well i guess the towing services will make more money from these cars anyway, so it may make some economic sense afterall grin grin lol, All that was on a lighter note anywayz grin
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 9:57pm On Oct 23, 2009
Purist:

Nigerians can really be funny at times. When the government isn't doing anything, we call for their head. When they decide to do something, we rubbish the idea. Not surprising though, I really don't know of any brilliant idea that wasn't first rubbished by supposed "intellectuals". . . of course, they too had their "strong reasons" as to why such ideas were "rubbish". Seems lots of people have short term memory. When BRT idea was first proposed then, lots of people called it a white elephant project, and they all had very sound arguments to back up their stance. Today, they've been proven wrong.

Do you guys honestly think that those who proposed this idea haven't thought of all you're arguing here? Or you think all there is to the project is what you've read in the newspaper article? Do you really think that they are oblivious of the electricity problems in Nigeria? I expect all of us to be asking meaningful questions about this project, instead of condemning it outrightly. Some are even calling Fashola names already. Certainly, this is beyond contempt for the seemingly "ridiculous" project. It appears lots of people are envious that Lagos (Fashola) is perhaps the only state in Nigeria making positive headlines.

I think it'll be wise if we just ask the right questions, and probably give our own suggestions to make it work, rather than list a thousand "sound" reasons why the project cannot work, as if you have all the details concerning the project.

No one is ever disputing the fact that the government aren't trying, what we are disputing particularly to this argument is that electrical cars in Nigeria, a good one but not the best idea at least for a developing nation that is trying hard to maintain constant electricity.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 9:58pm On Oct 23, 2009
[/quote]
Kobojunkie:

You would first need to SHOW ME where you have me stating that SOLAR ENERGY cannot be used in powering an electric car, so that way I can better answer your question as I have no clue where you get the above from.

Yet, Fashola's government DOES generate some power, only it goes to the national grid? Even if we go with your claim that Power generation is not his problem, then why is he buying cars that NEED POWER to run them knowing full well that, according to you, he cannot do much about the POWER GENERATION problem?

It is NOT doable without ELECTRICITY hence the reason why it is called an ELECTRIC car. Either way, the government is going to have to deal with supplying electricity to power these vehicles. If it decides to GENERATE power via solar means, then it would have to cough up extra thousands of dollars for each car. If you want to know how much it could cost, think of how much it could cost to fully power a whole house using solar energy alone, on a regular basis. If it decides to wait for the FG to solve the POWER GENERATION problems, then maybe it is best the project wait for the FG to be done with that first, since we are not sure when that will happen.

Is this car running on power grid?

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2009/10/12/481127.html

http://www.altdotenergy.com/2009/04/first-solar-powered-ev-charging-station-unveiled-in-chicago/[quote]

If it decides to wait for the FG to solve the POWER GENERATION problems, then maybe it is best the project wait for the FG to be done with that first, since we are not sure when that will happen.

This quote is very laughable. So we should wait and sit on our hands till the same folk who are responsible for the mess wake up from slumber and do what they should have done 3o years ago?

Dude, are you for real?

Now, the state is talking about going green and moving away from fossil fuel and you're talking about the opposite. Where in the hell do you think the feds power is gonna come from?

Why is it so hard for you to make a little sense? It's really not by force to argue against something just because you can.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 9:59pm On Oct 23, 2009
That gives me an idea. Maybe I ought to be fixing up to start a towing business right in the middle of lagos, near state parastatals. That way I can get some needed business. lol
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 10:04pm On Oct 23, 2009

Is this car running on power grid?.

YESSSSSSSS

This quote is very laughable. So we should wait and sit on our hands till the same folk who are responsible for the mess wake up from slumber and do what they should have done 3o years ago?

Dude, are you for real?.

But the question was directed at you considering you seem not to know what you are suggesting there.

Now, the state is talking about going green and moving away from fossil fuel and you're talking about the opposite. Where in the hell do you think the feds power is gonna come from?

You tell me, the questions were directed at you considering you are the one making the BASELESS claims.

Why is it so hard for you to make a little sense? It's really not by force to argue against something just because you can.

I now understand why you don't think I make sense. It is because you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Solar Panels are used to GENERATE ELECTRICITY. If you at least took time to read up on the Sunpods example in CA you kept posting over and over, you would have realized by now that the charging stations get their POWER from the sun, which is then converted to ELECTRIC power with which the cars are then charged.
if you had bothered to read a little, you would have known that

Chicago has just unveiled the first solar-powered electric vehicle charging station. The Solar Plug-In Stations will be used daily by the City of Chicago Department of Fleet Management to power the city’s electric cars. Scott Emalfarb, CEO at Carbon Day said, “Without these stations it would be like driving around in traditional cars without the availability of gas stations. The day of true plug-in electric vehicles will be here sooner than most people realize and the world needs to be ready to accommodate them. Carbon Day will build them and they will come.”

Richard Lowenthal, CEO of Coulomb Technologies said, “Carbon Day and the City of Chicago are demonstrating true innovation, ingenuity and initiative… Solar energy
and electric vehicles are an inevitable partnership that is one more step to reducing our dependence on foreign oil.”

Carbon Day Automotive’s Solar Plug-In Station(TM), built by Carbon Day Construction, was designed by the world renowned firm of Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture.

Wanxiang America Corporation manufactured the solar panels that form a tree-like canopy built by Residential Steel. Pure Energy, LLC, Northbrook installed the sculpted piece and interfaced it with the concealed underground battery pack enhanced to store solar energy, specially designed and developed by ALL CELL Technologies.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 10:06pm On Oct 23, 2009
Let's me ask you this question

How much electricity is actually needed to power a car of that size at full battery life?

How much of this panels are they going to build and how much do u think that they cost?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Fhemmmy: 10:07pm On Oct 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

That gives me an idea. Maybe I ought to be fixing up to start a towing business right in the middle of lagos, near state parastatals. That way I can get some needed business. lol

Make sure the tow vehicle is not electrical sha.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Uche2nna(m): 10:07pm On Oct 23, 2009
Purist:

Do you guys honestly think that those who proposed this idea haven't thought of all you're arguing here?  Or you think all there is to the project is what you've read in the newspaper article?  Do you really think that they are oblivious of the electricity problems in Nigeria?  I expect all of us to be asking meaningful questions about this project, instead of condemning it outrightly.  Some are even calling Fashola names already.  Certainly, this is beyond contempt for the seemingly "ridiculous" project.  It appears lots of people are envious that Lagos (Fashola) is perhaps the only state in Nigeria making positive headlines.

LOL, trust Nigerians to turn every argument into[i] "my own beta pass ur own"[/i]. Someone even went as far as defining it along ethnic lines

No matter babapupa and his cohorts say, the facts are there to see. No state in this present day Nigeria has what it takes embark on an electric car project. At this point, thats more a liability on our meagre resources. We have more pressing problems than that.

It bugs me that babapupa will keep on saying that generating electricty is not Fashola's portfolio. One wonders then how he will power those cars? If he can generate power for those cars, then he sure can generate power 24/7 for the whole of lagos.

If he loves the environment so much, then maybe he should start with replacing all the Govt owned SUV's with fuel efficient cars like Golf.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by MUZBO(m): 10:09pm On Oct 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Ok, I read your response there and I have to wonder if you are serious here. . Fighting GLOBAL EMISSIONS does not have not be expensive. It costs about as much sometimes, even more sometimes,to power Electric cars, both energy wise and moneywise,. .VOLT and most of the other cars we have now claiming to be GREEN are mainly for moving from oil to another power source, cost of production of the alternative not necessarily cheaper.

I see! So you think all d insult given to d earth can be reversed while maintaining our high tech standards with 10 kobo equipments? NO! Even during my NYSC a guy bought a bicycle and he knows what he faced till he changed to a motorbike. You cannot list 10 ways of combating clime change that wont be expensive- even tree planting is. If you think we'll go back to the days of the horse-drawn carriage- think again! Here's another slogan of mine, it might help shape the future of this argument: 'GOING GREEN COSTS A LOT OF GREEN!' Chew on that.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Fhemmmy: 10:10pm On Oct 23, 2009
manny4life:

Let's me ask you this question

How much electricity is actually needed to power a car of that size at full battery life?

How much of this panels are they going to build and how much do u think that they cost?

I thnk it is best to leave that dude alone.
there are some people that are so pathetic and wanna sell their pathetical self to other.
There is not doubt about the fact that this would have worked, if we were in a human settings and not around animals like people in Lagos.
he is not even thinking about the traffic, but as long as it is Fashola that is doing it, it is all great idea.
there are people that follows blindly

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

CBN To Punish Landlords & Schools That Ask For Dollars / Is There Any Online Biz That Can Pay Directly Into My Bank Account? / 5 Online Businesses With Low Start Up Capital That Can Make You Rich

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.