Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,824 members, 7,810,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:20 PM

The River - Literature (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The River (38044 Views)

Romance On The River - Book Review / Cries From The River “nun” Poem, Dedicated To Gabriel Imomotimi Okara / Murica: My River Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The River by Creeza(m): 10:44am On Dec 23, 2016
Lleigh:

creeza you are right with your deduction about Eliora... smiley

abi... OYA COOK RICE GIVE ME grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 10:52am On Dec 23, 2016
creeza rice for you...hope it comes through. jagugu88li is the queen of adding nice captions on this forum

1 Like

Re: The River by Creeza(m): 11:16am On Dec 23, 2016
Oya clear road... Eh? Remove eye for my rice o... Bar man, where my star... ? grin

1 Like

Re: The River by Adesina12: 11:44am On Dec 23, 2016
So Eliora and invincible triplet have a root traceable to Ile-Ife

Ile-Ife is the cradle of Yoruba culture ...ife ooye, ibiti ojumo ti n mo wa

I live in Ile-Ife for unforgettable 8yrs....for secondary school @ Oduduwa College and university Education in OAU

What a good memory!!!

Thank you Lleigh

Following ma'am

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 1:06pm On Dec 23, 2016
Adesina12:
So Eliora and invincible triplet have a root traceable to Ile-Ife

Ile-Ife is the cradle of Yoruba culture ...ife ooye, ibiti ojumo ti n mo wa

I live in Ile-Ife for unforgettable 8yrs....for secondary school @ Oduduwa College and university Education in OAU

What a good memory!!!

Thank you Lleigh

Following ma'am

Hi Adesina12 nice to know it produced good memories.
thank you for following as always

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Creeza(m): 1:20pm On Dec 23, 2016
Adesina12, Ife is indeed famous , Ive not been there buh I knw a thing or two about their ancestry linkage with the ancient Kingdom of Benin.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The River by soleski01(m): 7:12pm On Dec 23, 2016
Cool! Mother of descriptions!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 10:10pm On Dec 23, 2016
soleski01:
Cool! Mother of descriptions!

thanks for stopping by soleski01 and commenting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by muhamad158(m): 6:51am On Dec 24, 2016
Aunty Lleigh you ve got Such an Amazing piece here.. please keep up the good work

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 9:46am On Dec 24, 2016
muhamad158:
Aunty Lleigh you ve got Such an Amazing piece here.. please keep up the good work

thank you muhamad158, hope you stay till the end
Re: The River by Chommieblaq(f): 11:04am On Dec 24, 2016
Have got nothing but Love for you Lleigh (no homo) you have got me spellbound, you simply amazing!

More mb to your phone
More inspirations
More blessings

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 11:08am On Dec 24, 2016
Chapter 15

Merry Christmas to all readers of The River. Thank you always for stopping by, even the ghost ones. TJ can see you cheesy

swann, Adesina12, Aitee1, soleski01, Lawlahdey, girlhaley, sexybbstar, jagugu88li, ADECULATE, Amenaghwon, okorro1, Simplebea, Nmaglit,
DADDYSLY, osleek, xamster, sirOrubebe, Bobbybube, julietogbo, Zehner, itsandi, ROYH, Osman1966, chii8, tonye72, Winters22, omamush, Twinkle004, Creeza, skarlett, bibijay123, debra101, sammyfreshsmooth, mozb, prinxxdave,

Devine decided to take the car, the trains were just too unpredictable. It only took one inch of rain to drop and most of the train network literally ground to a halt.
It was either the wrong kind of rain, wrong kind of sun or some other absurd excuse the train operators came up with, that created misery for the commuters. Plus he wasn’t in the mood to sit with the masses today and observe them misbehave, so he willingly followed the boss’s orders and stuck the siren on, he got to Vauxhall in ninety minutes, having broken every speed limit along the way.

John the pathologist was already waiting for him at the office of Commander David James, he was sitting in a break out area of the office busy on his laptop.
With perpetual inter-connected Wi-Fi around all police offices, no one was allowed to be offline, there just wasn’t an excuse for it any more. The emails and reports that needed reviewing by a certain time, just followed you everywhere.

Devine sighed and sat down beside the Pathologist, pulled out his laptop begrudgingly and checked his messages.

A door in front of them opened and Commander David James beckoned them in.

‘Afternoon chaps, thanks for getting down here as fast as possible.’ James said, as he shook their hands.

‘Please take a seat,’ he said as he pointed to two chairs in front of his desk. ‘Can I get you a cup of tea or coffee before we start?’ looking at the men seated in front of him.

They both shook their heads.

Commander James pulled a file towards him, ‘it goes without saying, what we are about to discuss can’t leave this room are we clear.’

‘Yes sir,’ Devine and John both answered in unison.

‘Devine have you heard of Operation Greenshank?' The Commander asked him.

Devine looked at his boss, something stirring at the back of his mind.

‘Wasn’t that the operation handled by Greater Manchester Police a while ago. It had led to the arrest of some high and low level police officers, custom officials, some people in the Foster Cartel and the head of the cartel himself, drug baron Gary Foster. It also led to the seizure of the biggest drug haul in UK history. Is that the one?' Devine asked.

‘Yes you are correct,’ the Commander took up the story from there.

‘Gary Foster got three life sentences for trafficking drugs, attempted murder and murder. A few police officers also went down, as they had been on his payroll.’ He paused, as he flicked through some pages of the report on his desk.

‘The Police Officer who had headed up the operation was very good at their job. They were so good, that we i.e. the police even suspected how the information was being sourced. The intelligence we received from the questioning the suspects were put through was too good and real, to be untrue.’

‘If there had been no other officers in the room when she reached her deductions, after questioning the suspects, people would have thought that she was an insider in the Foster Cartel.’

‘After a while word got round, when suspects who were about to be interrogated by the GMP found out that she would be questioning them they always asked for someone else. There requests were never acted upon, she always questioned them. No matter how much resistance they put up she would stare them down. Her eyes are scary to be honest, but that is just by the way.

She was so good at asking the right questions that even the Home Office and the Met Police asked for her input while questioning terror suspects.’ The Commander paused and took a sip of water from the glass on his desk.

‘The Home Office used her expertise to question some terror suspects with some very surprising results, she led the anti-terror squad to precise locations where bomb making equipment was being held and safe houses.’ He continued.

‘She was that good, she explained it away as being able to read body language. Some people who are now in prison beg to differ, according to them she doesn’t read their body language but their minds. Which is bull shit any way. No one can do that.’

‘After the high profile court case, a significant number of high profile players, all ended up in jail and they all blamed one person, this enigmatic Inspector, who was normally silent during the questioning. She would then out of nowhere ask a very odd question that seemed to have nothing to do with the current line of questioning.’ The Commander stood up, stretching his back.

‘We found out too late that Gary Foster had ordered a hit on her, her husband tragically died in the attack on her house, it was an arson attack. The force was so huge that the two houses on either side the Inspector’s house were made uninhabitable.
How she survived the blast is one of those flukes of luck we read about in books. She was having a bath that night and somehow during the blast the bath flipped and trapped her in it.’

‘She did not get away totally unscathed though, she suffered a few minor burns and a miscarriage.’

‘During the time leading up to the attack, the USA had been courting her to come over and work for them. She had come to their attention, as a result of the work she did for the security forces here in the UK. They had noticed something unusual about the way she could extract information from suspects. As we all know the Americans if they see a tool, they will try and acquire it no matter the cost.’

'She had initially turned them down, but after the attempt on her life she started re-evaluating her options.’

‘You see the night of the blast we fed information to the journalists and news stations that two people had died in the blast. Which was technically true.’

‘The powers that be, did not want such an important asset like that being lost. So we helped her change her identity with the hope that we would still have access to her if we needed her. Plus she stated that she wanted to stay in the police force and the UK if possible.’

‘I bet your cold cases are getting warmer ever since she arrived?’ James smiled, as he looked towards asked Devine.

‘Inspector Durotimi Williams, aka the Witch of Merseyside is your new officer Eliora Lucas, ’ Commander James announced.

Devine was shocked, he opened his mouth to speak.

‘Now what I don’t understand Devine, is why you are trying to access her DNA records?’ Commander James looked at him, the smile gone.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 11:10am On Dec 24, 2016
Chommieblaq:
Have got nothing but Love for you Lleigh (no homo) you have got me spellbound, you simply amazing!

More mb to your phone
More inspirations
More blessings

aaw Chommieblag thank you so much for your words.

Thank you for reading and commenting, I have just updated The River. Hope you enjoy it. Merry Christmas
Re: The River by muhamad158(m): 11:22am On Dec 24, 2016
Ooooooo Boy... aunty lleigh. na u dy trend oooo.. Your stories be like all this charming. Spells, You Don Charm me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Chommieblaq(f): 11:35am On Dec 24, 2016
Lleigh:

aaw Chommieblag thank you so much for your words.

Thank you for reading and commenting, I have just updated The River. Hope you enjoy it. Merry Christmas

Am loving it
Thanks darling, best wishes to you and your family!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Nobody: 1:11pm On Dec 24, 2016
Devine is a rotten potato! Eliora for sale......caught in the act shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by samyfreshsmooth(m): 3:29pm On Dec 24, 2016
Mehn! am so loving dis story leigh . . hope devine aiint a bad nigga...this 1 his tryna dig up info on eliora . . oh and ma'am u're doing a great job......u stay in edo state right?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 3:46pm On Dec 24, 2016
jagugu88li:
Devine is a rotten potato! Eliora for sale......caught in the act shocked

Merry Christmas in advance jagugu88li.

Let's see. ...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 3:47pm On Dec 24, 2016
samyfreshsmooth:
Mehn! am so loving dis story leigh
hope devine aiint a bad nigga...this 1 his tryna dig up info on eliora
oh and ma'am u're doing a great job......u stay in edo state right?

Thank you samyfreshsmooth....

Let's see what he is up to
Re: The River by Nobody: 4:48pm On Dec 24, 2016
One of my best story here. Kudos Leigh.
Waiting patiently for the next update.
Re: The River by Nobody: 5:51pm On Dec 24, 2016
Lleigh:

Merry Christmas in advance jagugu88li.

Let's see. ...
Merry Christmas dear. Mine will be as boring as hell. No family, no nice life.....just me and work

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Creeza(m): 5:59pm On Dec 24, 2016
jagugu88li:
Merry Christmas dear. Mine will be as boring as hell. [b]No family, [/b]no nice life.....just me and work
we are a family here. . . I dnt want any member of it sad ok.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 6:16pm On Dec 24, 2016
jagugu88li:
Merry Christmas dear. Mine will be as boring as hell. No family, no nice life.....just me and work

Jagugu88li no boring words..

You have nairaland we will help make it interesting kiss

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 6:16pm On Dec 24, 2016
Creeza:
we are a family here. . . I dnt want any member of it sad ok.

I second that creeza.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Adesina12: 11:39am On Dec 27, 2016
Jagugu88li why nah? Merry xmas, happy Boxing Day and new year in advance

Since I returned to nl from my sojourn I have found amusement and partners...no dull moment

I switch writers from one write up to the other

Enjoy our popcorn while it last joor...Lleigh pls supply Guinness grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 3:14pm On Dec 27, 2016
Adesina12:
Jagugu88li why nah? Merry xmas, happy Boxing Day and new year in advance

Since I returned to nl from my sojourn I have found amusement and partners...no dull moment

I switch writers from one write up to the other

Enjoy our popcorn while it last joor...Lleigh pls supply Guinness grin

Hello Adesina12, I have sighted you today on NL. Hope you had a good break.

jagugu88li hope you are well.

2 Likes

Re: The River by Adesina12: 3:18pm On Dec 27, 2016
Lleigh:

Hello Adesina12, I have sighted you today on NL. Hope you had a good break

I am enjoying the break with popcorn

Trust you are

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 5:33pm On Dec 27, 2016
Adesina12:

I am enjoying the break with popcorn

Trust you are

I am
Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 5:45pm On Dec 27, 2016
Chapter 16

cc swann, Adesina12, Aitee1, soleski01, Lawlahdey, girlhaley, sexybbstar, jagugu88li, ADECULATE, Amenaghwon, okorro1, Simplebea, Nmaglit,
DADDYSLY, osleek, xamster, sirOrubebe, Bobbybube, julietogbo, Zehner, itsandi, ROYH, Osman1966, chii8, tonye72, Winters22, omamush, Twinkle004, Creeza, skarlett, bibijay123, debra101, sammyfreshsmooth, mozb, prinxxdave, cutietee,

Eliora looked at Margaret in shock and repeated the statement she had just heard.

‘She had three babies?’ Eliora repeated in shock.

Margaret held on to Eliora’s hand and continued.

‘Yes Durotimi, three babies were delivered that night’ Margaret said, as she continued.

‘Your Mother was a very beautiful woman, Durotimi, she was quite tall at least 5’9, with ice blond hair and the bluest eyes I have ever seen.’ Margaret paused and gazed at Eliora, it was a gaze full of questioning wonder.

Yes, Eliora echoed Margaret’s thoughts. How could such a person give birth to someone so dark? Her skin was even darker than coffee beans and her eyes, even she Eliora, found her own eyes strange at times, they were black.

The eyes that had put the fear of God in so many people, she had come across.

Margaret made the sign of the cross and continued with her story as she stared at Eliora.

‘What we didn’t realise was that the eye of the storm brewing that night was focused on the room where your Mother resided and who a few minutes earlier had gone into labour.'

'From the other side of the convent what we thought we saw was a mini tornado.

England hardly ever has tornadoes, the eye of it, the tornado, I have no other word to describe it, was there in that room. Somehow the forces behind the tornado passed the eye through the window. The resulting damage was just a slight crack in the window, it was as if the thing didn’t want to hurt the person occupying the room.'

'By the time it landed and passed through the window into the room, all the other nuns in the room ran out. I stayed there with Mother Teresa to help your Mother with the birth.’ Margaret paused again.

‘The first baby came out, Mother Teresa cleaned the baby, it had blue eyes and pale white skin. She quickly cut the cord and cleaned the cut. The baby cried which was a good sign, we knew it was fine, we wrapped the baby and placed it in a crib. We were waiting for the placenta to come out when I saw what looked like hair. I called Mother Teresa over to your Mother. She agreed with me that it looked like another baby. She went out of the room and handed the first baby to one of the nuns praying by the door.'

'She came back in and we helped your Mother as she pushed out the second baby, it also had blue eyes and white skin. Mother Teresa cut the cord and made sure the baby cried.'

'By this time the force of nature raging in the corner of the room intensified. It didn’t blow anything around the room other than the crack in the window you would not know the eye of the storm was actually in the room. It just kept on twirling, you could hear strange voices coming from the vortex it created. Whatever this thing was, it was beautiful to look at, pure white light mixed with flecks of grey, as the voices in it intensified.’ Margaret paused.

‘I kept on saying my Hail Mary’s as this went on.
To be honest Duro, I was scared witless. But my faith kept me going, all I kept on saying to myself is that we are all God’s children. We waited for the placenta to come out.’

‘Please, can I have some water Durotimi?’ Margaret asked.

‘You know your name was given to you by your Mother’

Margaret took a sip of water and stared at Durotimi.

‘We waited for the placenta, your Mother was getting exhausted. Mother Teresa was getting worried. Your Mother kept on mumbling the same thing over and over again.’

‘They are the same but different. They are all one but different. The three of them are the same but different.’ Margaret paused again.
'It made no sense to me, it still doesn't'

‘Durotimi, I am tired.’ Margaret told her, but continued after a slight pause.

‘Mother Teresa was getting worried the placenta should have come out by that time but it hadn’t.'

'Your mother started saying she felt the urge to push, Mother Teresa told her to push. We were expecting the placenta to come out.
What we saw was a head of hair. Another baby was coming out, the minute the third baby’s head started crowning the storm and the vortex in the room disappeared, I heard a sad wail as it left.'

'I looked over to Mother Teresa she must have heard it too, as I saw her touch her beads and pray.’

Margaret paused and made the sign of the cross, before she continued.

‘When the third baby came out we were shocked, it was the blackest baby I had ever seen. I am not exaggerating the baby was as dark as charcoal. It seemed as if it had sucked and taken out all the blackness from the other two babies.’

‘Babies aren’t born black, I thought when I held you for the first time, but you were.
You were very fragile and small, you might have taken all the colour for the three of you, but the other two babies had taken all your vitality.
When Mother Teresa cut your cord, we couldn’t get you to cry. Your Mother asked for us to pass you over.'

She spoke to you in another language, which I can only think must have been Yoruba.’
‘As she kept on saying durotimi please, don’t go.’
‘It was heart-breaking watching her beg you to stay, she also said some other things that I couldn’t not understand. All I can tell you, is that when she was saying those things, I could feel the hair stand up at the back of my neck.’ Margaret held on to Durotimi’s hand as she shuddered at the memory.

‘Not long after you opened your eyes wide and stared at her, your Mother. It made my blood run cold. According to folklore babies never open their eyes the way you did on the day you were born. You cried after that, your Mother handed you back to Mother Teresa.’ Margaret paused again.

‘After that the placenta finally came out. Your Mother as can be expected was exhausted.’

‘Your Mother only asked about you, the day after the birth, she breastfed you. She insisted that your name whatever happened to you, had to be Durotimi.’

‘The first two babies that came out were boys, the two sets of parents, Mother Teresa had lined up each took a child and we never heard from them again.’

‘It was as if your Mum already knew the first two babies had left her. Unfortunately your Mother died three days after you were born.’ Margaret paused and stroked Eliora’s hand.

‘We tried to get several people to adopt you, but it never happened, all the parents said you scared them. Even some of the nuns at the convent were scared of you. The mystery surrounding your birth made you a child to be avoided at all costs. Especially when you started talking.’

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The River by Nobody: 6:18pm On Dec 27, 2016
Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The River by Lleigh(f): 6:19pm On Dec 27, 2016
opal4real:
Thanks

Thanking you too for reading smiley
Re: The River by Adesina12: 7:35pm On Dec 27, 2016
I am also scared of this mystery Durotimi aka Eliora

Even I am scared to read on.....

Where is thereabouts of the other boys? Who knows Durotimi must have come across one of them unknowingly

So what next?

Get popcorn and relax Lleigh

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply)

Tears Of A Soldier............ A Military War Story / Love Cycle [pre-destiny] / US Poll: Wole Soyinka Trends On Twitter For Saying He'll Destroy His Green Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.