Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,758 members, 7,809,924 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:17 PM

Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" (40802 Views)

Captain Hosa Kneeling Down To Greet Oba Ewuare II (pic) / Meet Two Sisters Married To Oba Ewuare Of Benin (Photos) / Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Oba Ewuare II (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by saintdennis(m): 4:32pm On Oct 20, 2016
Shymm3xx:
Anyway, the Oba of Bini needs to join his brothers at the council of Yoruba kings cos without Olokun and other Yoruba gods, the coronation wouldn't have happened. And I clearly saw pictures of Olokun worship on the coronation thread from yesterday.

The King shouldn't be a prodigal son. He needs to come back home.

Great people with rich history/tradition. wink

Lols

Ok the christian God most southern nigerians serve does it mean we're israelites?

The Arab Allah most northern nigerians serve does it mean they're saudis?
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 20, 2016
ENDTIMEgist:
The real King even the Ooni of Ife had to come and witness how his fore father would be crowned and collect words of wisdom

Lol! The Oba of Benin just said in his speech ( if ur watching live on air), how he is a direct descendant of ofuduwa his father.
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by AreaFada2: 4:35pm On Oct 20, 2016
walosky:
But is it true that the Oba would not see his son till he dies according to tradition?

Wrong.

The grandfather (who became Akenzua II) of the Oba just crowned was secretary to his own dad (Eweka II).

Because the crown prince maintains his own court/palace in a nearby town called Uselu (has grown to be part of Benin now), with his own town/palace chiefs/aristocracy, it has gone into myth that he will not see his father again. Even many Benin people erroneously believe that.

In ancient times, when Oba led soldiers to war by himself, it could have happened that they rarely saw due to long absences. If if both did not get along well personally, not unusual as happened with Hanoverian Kings of England & their crown princes.

Do not forget that it might just have been a safety precaution back then. Oba & crown prince together and betrayal happens, it could be disastrous. For example, Prince Charles & his sons are not allowed to be on the same flight/plane except Queen Elizabeth II personally approves it. She approved it when Princess Diana's body was flown from Paris to London in 1997.

2 Likes

Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by Shymm3xx: 4:36pm On Oct 20, 2016
saintdennis:

Lols

Ok the christian God most southern nigerians serve does it mean we're israelites?

The Arab Allah most northern nigerians serve does it mean they're saudis?

No correlation whatsoever. You can only make comparisons if this were about imposition.

Yorubas in general and Bini never went to war and neither subjugated the other, apart from tiny eastern Yoruba kingdoms. So, how come ya king does everything Yoruba? I know a bit about Olokun worship cos I read a lot about Afro-Brazilian history and their culture - and it's big over there. And Olokun is a Yoruba religion.
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by GreatManBee: 4:40pm On Oct 20, 2016
LifeDrama:
Royal Majesty Picked The Name Ewuare ll

"Oba Ewuare ll N'Ogidigan!"
Oba khato okpere Ise!

Source: http://lifedrama.com.ng/benin-coronation-his-royal-majesty-picked-the-name-oba-ewuare-ll-nogidigan/
Why covering the nose?
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by stsinner: 4:41pm On Oct 20, 2016
lonelydora:

Most times juju is transmitted through fart.
funny dude with a funny signature

1 Like

Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by LifeDrama: 4:42pm On Oct 20, 2016
LifeDrama:

Oba khato okpere Ise!

Source: http://lifedrama.com.ng/benin-coronation-his-royal-majesty-picked-the-name-oba-ewuare-ll-nogidigan/

Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by Araoluwa005(m): 4:43pm On Oct 20, 2016
henrydadon:
who mess

e be like say nah only oba dey smell the mess

[img]http://i./F2XIfKR2fwK1q.gif[/img]
I just dey Wonder why the oba cover nose fa
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by Nobody: 4:43pm On Oct 20, 2016
ENDTIMEgist:
The real King even the Ooni of Ife had to come and witness how his fore father would be crowned and collect words of wisdom

Lol! The new Oba in his speech just described how oranmiyan came to Benin. Said he is a direct descendant of oranmiyan & a true son of oduduwa "my father". Dts what he called him.

You ipodians can now shut ur mouths. Or not. U can keep displaying ur foolishness on nairaland.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by Proxy001(m): 4:47pm On Oct 20, 2016
LifeDrama:

Oba khato okpere Ise!

Oga, I'm not saying u lied oo. but I'm kind of confused because I'm watching the events live as they unfold and his name has not yet been announced. He's still currently been called by the titles that precede his name.
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 20, 2016
janellemonae:

Lol! The new Oba in his speech just described how oranmiyan came to Benin. Said he is a direct descendant of oranmiyan & a true son of oduduwa "my father". Dts what he called him.

You ipodians can now shut ur mouths. Or not. U can keep displaying ur foolishness on nairaland.

Y did he say that word? Because Oduduwa is not what the yorubas claim he his. He is Benin ever ask your self how the Benins communicated with the Yoruba , Benin has never been conquered by any kingdom

1 Like

Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by Proxy001(m): 4:51pm On Oct 20, 2016
janellemonae:

Uncle while did u select his words? why did you omit the part where he mentioned how the Benin heir Ekaladeran went on exile to Ile ife where he later became king?

5 Likes

Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by OBAGADAFFI: 4:54pm On Oct 20, 2016
janellemonae:

Realy!!!

No wonder he use Ogidigan.
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by d33types: 4:54pm On Oct 20, 2016
MadCow1:

Oba my Nigga...

Much respect to you Sir and your Office.

May your reign be long and may it bring good things to the entire Bini Kingdom and its people.

If you can just use your office to close down UNIBEN... You will be the Greatest Oba Ever Liveth (GOEL).

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Chai uniben don suffer.. Oya bros make we go VC office make im apologise..him be my nigga
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by Proxy001(m): 4:54pm On Oct 20, 2016
ENDTIMEgist:

Y did he say that word? Because Oduduwa is not what the yorubas claim he his. He is Benin ever ask your self how the Benins communicated with the Yoruba , Benin has never been conquered by any kingdom

He just confirmed your claims man..
The name was leaked before he pronounced it. nothing is secret anymore afterall.
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by lmbnicegirl(f): 4:55pm On Oct 20, 2016
what is the meaning of the please.
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by AreaFada2: 4:56pm On Oct 20, 2016
Shymm3xx:

No correlation whatsoever. You can only make comparisons if this were about imposition.

Yorubas in general and Bini never went to war and neither subjugated the other, apart from tiny eastern Yoruba kingdoms. So, how come ya king does everything Yoruba? I know a bit about Olokun worship cos I read a lot about Afro-Brazilian history and their culture - and it's big over there. And Olokun is a Yoruba religion.

Shymm3xx,

We have argued here many times before.

Even though you find it hard to believe, Benin was an empire. Whether you admit it was only Eastern Yorubaland & Lagos only, makes no difference.
Benin was an outward looking empire. Even the Romans adopted several gods/godesses from their Greek & Egyptian provinces, be it Zeus, Diana, equivalent of Isis, etc. What makes you think Benin adopting such gods abnormal?

What is more, Oranmiyan was raised in Ife. He came to Benin with many Yoruba courtiers. One of them was Oloton. Oloton was added as the 6th Uzama senior chief, now seven in total, which people erroneously call kingmakers like the 7 oyemesi of Oyo. Chief Oloton remains an important shrine keeper till today.
My point is that no doubt those courtiers would have included religious priests, bringing many deities.

At a personal level, in Benin imperial times, my ancestors brought unique family deities from Eastern Yorubaland, that I believe do not even exist in most other parts of Yorubaland. Until around 40 years ago, those gods were very jealously kept. Some are still very much there, though the worshippers are dying out.

Most successful empires adopted things from other lands. Benin has appointed two Ado-Akure people as Iyase of Benin (non-hereditary traditional prime minister & second in command to the Oba) & a prince of Brass (Bayelsa) in the last 300 years. The current Iyase is of Urhobo heritage.

I cannot understand why that should degenerate into a supremacy battle. shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by Mekulz(m): 4:56pm On Oct 20, 2016
so, who is now the crown prince??
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by MadCow1: 4:58pm On Oct 20, 2016
d33types:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Chai uniben don suffer.. Oya bros make we go VC office make im apologise..him be my nigga

Me enter UNIBEN? You wan ambush me abi... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by thomasjoe(m): 5:02pm On Oct 20, 2016
Shymm3xx:

Lol. They won't hear you, though - cos they're in denial.

Even the name "Ogidigan" looks Yoruba. Anyone with knowledge of Yoruba etymology needs to translate it (cc: macof).

Another Yoruba territory conquered via a Bini vagina - not war.

Yoruba sons doing great things.

God bless the new Oduduwa king. grin cool
I love Yoruba people but lets speak the facts Okay?
The Title "Ewuare no Ogidigan" is re-appearing in history for the 2nd time hence the "the 2nd " attached to it ......................it is not a Yoruba word ....Kindly consult your Archives or wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewuare It means the Great Warrior King! There are so many other words adapted by the Yoruba's like Eko[Camp] , Yaba(short form of Nosayaba)[what the Lord shines with] , Idumota[Otas Neighborhood], Idumagbo[Agbos Neighborhood]...................pls you honestly know these words dont have a yoruba meaning or you cantell me what these words mean in Yoruba! Have you ever wondered why the Oba of Ife is called OOni , Oba of Oyo AlaAfin and originally Oba of Lagos ,Eleko of Eko? I dont want to go into details ! The list goes on bro! we are not interested in any arguments! you can either learn or wallow in ..................... ! The choice is yours!!! If you are humble enough you can contact me and more will be revealed !

2 Likes

Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by thomasjoe(m): 5:04pm On Oct 20, 2016
MadCow1:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/4380794_screenshot20161020092541_jpegbdf44828ebfd9ebdf62a864078f15cb0

Why are they holding his hands?

I have seen this in the Ashanti tradition, but they do it because the King is wearing so much gold, Niggas need to help him stand up under the weight of all that bling.
Its symbollic ! Look beyond the veil bro
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by back2sender: 5:04pm On Oct 20, 2016
Ada9103:

Ok
Yes our Oba cannot do anyhow because he carries our trust, tradition, heritage and we Edos will die to defend our king because he is above chop chop egunje people Oba that abounds in Nigeria, OBAs that collect thier own share of dollars from the ineffectual baboon that run aground our economy.
My Oba cannot beg any man born of a woman or spirit or stoop low.
The OBA of Benin is the only n true OBA others are oba
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by Garshyzee(m): 5:05pm On Oct 20, 2016
It was privileged to witness it live.... smiley..its incredible
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by d33types: 5:05pm On Oct 20, 2016
MadCow1:

Me enter UNIBEN? You wan ambush me abi... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

no o bros. I don finish tae tae.

Abi you dey fear strong men? Or you mash leg?
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by descrisom(m): 5:06pm On Oct 20, 2016
BornStunner1:
FACTS ABOUT THE YORUBAS AKA AFONJAS

( 1 ) . Their story of
kingship began with Edo
prince and the Benin
recorded History .
( 2 ) . Ayayi crawder said,
little were know about
yoruba existence,
meaning they were not
part of Nigeria of today
boarder or were in small
settlement close to
dahomy. yoruba are half
muslims and those with
African traditions copied or got them from Benin
civilization . I doubt if they not immigrants from dahomy
mix with Benins or other fulani- hausa from Niger
. Bishop Samuel Adjayi Crowther (c . 1809 – 31
December 1891 ) Was the first African Anglican bishop
in Nigeria . Born in Osogun (in today's Iseyin Local
Government, Oyo State , Nigeria ) . His grandson was
Herbert Macaulay
( 3 ) . Yoruba have dublicity of kingship with the process
highly politized to being traditional . A system they try
copy from Benin but can 't get it real like the Benin
Kingdom. Edo Obaship is one of the most revered
institutions in the world because of the way it has
sustained its awesome prestige with strict and
meticulous attention to ancient traditions of valour ,
discipline and integrity . Edo chieftaincy titles cannot be
bought or conferred on non- indigenes or frivolously .
Every Edo chief performs a peculiarly sacred duty
and responsibility to the people of Edo. It does not make
sense , therefore , to think that a people who would not
and have never conferred their chieftaincy titles on non-
indigenes, would voluntarily invite , accept, or surrender
to non- indigenes as their kings . Due to celestial
origins , the Edo monarch cannot eat out and cannot be
diverted from full time palace duties to hustle
for contracts .
( 4 ) . Most of today
yoruba religion are
Benin Origin , Olokun ,
Ogun , Iha oguega (ifa ) ,
oronmila, Esago
(shango ) , Ayelala etc .
Many Benin traditions
and spirituality are
stillfully documented by
yorubas in high places
as YORUBA ? (Never mind the Edo man ' s christian
mindset quickly dening Edo have niothing to do with
African traditional religion , agreeing they are foriegn to
Edoland . . . LIE ) .
Although the Great Edo ( Benin ) Kingdom were not major
participants in the trans- Atlantic slave trade , because
the Obas (Kings ) believed that their subjects were too
valuable to sell away , and their noblemen had need of
war captives on their own farms , the influence of Edo
religion and medicine has still been substantial upon
the people of the Americas .
According to Mason (1996 ) , it has been widely
accepted that Olokun ( god of the sea ) worship
originated with the Edo and spread to the Yoruba ( p. 2) .
In fact, the most prominent part of Edo cultural
traditions that has made its mark in the New World is
Olokun worship. Olokun (god of the Waters ) worship
originated from Urhonigbe and then became prominent
at Ughoton around the Ethiope ( Olokun) River . The
priesthood and rituals were firmly established at the
time . Some of the possible points of contact happened
early. During the Ogiso Period , trade with the Yoruba
and Igbos was quite extensive. Olokun worship may
have spread to those areas through traders . Prior to the
Oba Period , Ekaladerhan Izoduwa was initiated into
Olokun as a chief Priest while he stayed at Ughoton ,
before his moving westward with his followers to
establish Ilefe ( Ero , 1999 , p . 108- 109) .
Once he arrived , Ekaladerhan Izoduwa brought Edo
traditions to those areas and was a King of his new
community called Ilefe , which could be what yoruba call
IFE. . From Ekaladerhan Izoduwa ’ s loins , the Yoruba
dynasties may have began. However, it is certain that
Olokun is an Edo divinity whose worship spread to the
outlying Yoruba areas.

dindinrin(slowpoke) go ask from Aso rock the two main kings recorgnised mostly in Nigeria...
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by Hydriss(m): 5:07pm On Oct 20, 2016
eleyii Ogidigan!!!
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by back2sender: 5:07pm On Oct 20, 2016
MadCow1:

We will Use you for BARBECUE to celebrate our great OBA coronation. The spices, cutlass to scatter the bones and charcoal full ground
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by Louiscutedude(m): 5:07pm On Oct 20, 2016
Congratulation
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by BALLOSKI: 5:08pm On Oct 20, 2016
DLondonboiy:
God bless the oba of Benin...

If only he can draw Edo people closer to the almighty God.....but ritual will not let them see road.

too bad..
the whole process leading to coronation depicts nothing rather than horrible rituals.
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by back2sender: 5:09pm On Oct 20, 2016
descrisom:

dindinrin(slowpoke) go ask from Aso rock the two main kings recorgnised mostly in Nigeria...
The only one and true king is OBA OF BENIN, The rest are oba
Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by Shymm3xx: 5:09pm On Oct 20, 2016
AreaFada2:

Shymm3xx,

We have argued here many times before.

Even though you find it hard to believe, Benin was an empire. Whether you admit it was only Eastern Yorubaland & Lagos only, makes no difference.
Benin was an outward looking empire. Even the Romans adopted several gods/godesses from their Greek & Egyptian provinces, be it Zeus, Diana, equivalent of Isis, etc. What makes you think Benin adopting such gods abnormal?

What is more, Oranmiyan was raised in Ife. He came to Benin with many Yoruba courtiers. One of them was Oloton. Oloton was added as the 6th Uzama senior chief, now seven in total, which people erroneously call kingmakers like the 7 oyemesi of Oyo. Chief Oloton remains an important shrine keeper till today.
My point is that no doubt those courtiers would have included religious priests, bringing many deities.

At a personal level, in Benin imperial times, my ancestors brought unique family deities from Eastern Yorubaland, that I believe do not even exist in most other parts of Yorubaland. Until around 40 years ago, those gods were very jealously kept. Some are still very much there, though the worshippers are dying out.

Most successful empires adopted things from other lands. Benin has appointed two Ado-Akure people as Iyase of Benin (non-hereditary traditional prime minister & second in command to the Oba) & a prince of Brass (Bayelsa) in the last 300 years. The current Iyase is of Urhobo heritage.

I cannot understand why that should degenerate into a supremacy battle. shocked shocked

Lol. This isn;t about supremacy - just extending a hand in brotherhood. grin

Anyway, Olukun isn't a deity of Eastern Yoruba folks. It's more of an Ife and coastal Yoruba deity. And since Bini is landlocked, the worship of Olukun either came directly from Ife or one of the coastal Yorubas. And I'm leaning towards Ife.

Evidently, if it's Ife - that adds credence to the Yoruba side of the story, just as the Ogiso family confirmed. Revisionism is a bad thing. At the end of the day, the same crown extended to Itsekiris, who're also mostly Yorubas in terms of ancestry.

1 Like

Re: Erediauwa Picks The Name "Oba Ewuare ii" by BALLOSKI: 5:11pm On Oct 20, 2016

"Oba Ewuare ll N'Ogidigan !"
Oba khato okpere Ise!
and they say this throne is not linked to the Yoruba.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Deji Of Akure’s Corpse Placed On A Chair For Chiefs To Pay Homage / A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names / To Maintain The Rolls-Royce Of The Emir Of Kano, Sanusi: See What It Takes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.