Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,671 members, 7,813,236 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:10 AM

Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? (3617 Views)

Bayelsa Election: APC Cars Spotted In The Streets Of Bayelsa(photos) / Photos Of Sokoto Residents On The Streets With Brooms, Shovels Over N1m Prize / Child Beggars On Lagos Street (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by adconline(m): 6:58pm On Dec 30, 2006
why aren't northern governments doing enough to stop this. there
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by mazaje(m): 7:09pm On Dec 30, 2006
because they believe begging is part of lslam, so the believe they are practising islam by begging .stupid dons, imagine there was a time the late wada nas was telling the northern leaders to find a way to curb this inhumane act only for some stupid religious leaders to came out and say all sort of rubbish trying to discredit his effort which was for the good of all. the people are too closed minded and very much detest change and sustanable development.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Eurphoria(f): 7:27pm On Dec 30, 2006
mazaje:

because they believe begging is part of lslam, so the believe they are practising islam by begging .stupid dons, imagine there was a time the late wada nas was telling the northern leaders to find a way to curb this inhumane act only for some stupid religious leaders to came out and say all sort of rubbish trying to discredit his effort which was for the good of all. the people are too closed minded and very much detest change and sustanable development.

very strong statements, i dont think you are right there at all. embarassed
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by adconline(m): 8:14pm On Dec 30, 2006
but i don think that begging is common in Saudi Arabia or UAE. I think that Northen Oligarchs have  used power to disenfranchise its population. They believe whatever they say and act it out.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by cushman(m): 8:25pm On Dec 30, 2006
mazaje:

This is a wrong accusation Mr mazaje. Infact, begging is highly prohibited in islam. Please do yourself this favour; try to have a lil knowledge of anything before you make any suggestion or comment on it. Thank you
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Dec 30, 2006
Mr. Cushman, the bigger question as usual is one you have successfully dodged! Why are there so many beggars from the north of Nigeria?

When a whole Governor of a state is proud to announce a 95% illiteracy rate in his state!
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by LoverBwoy(m): 11:14pm On Dec 30, 2006
davidylan:

Mr. Cushman, the bigger question as usual is one you have successfully dodged! Why are there so many beggars from the north of Nigeria?

When a whole Governor of a state is proud to announce a 95% illiteracy rate in his state!

If thats the fact what else should he do? put a spin on it?

Illeteracy is the biggest problem in the north, from leaders to followers

anyway this will soon become another religious thread *run *
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by mazaje(m): 11:46pm On Dec 30, 2006
cushman:

This is a wrong accusation Mr mazaje. Infact, begging is highly prohibited in islam. Please do yourself this favour; try to have a lil knowledge of anything before you make any suggestion or comment on it. Thank you

I know islam is against begging but the average nigerian northern muslim believes begging is a part of islam,else why would a religious leader go on air to insult a person that calls for an end to this social problem saying he is trying to copy the culture of the white man ? i have lived in kano for 4 years and i know what am saying very very well, how come no northern leader has openly and strongly condemme this act? when street begging was banned in jos sometime in 2003 what was the reaction from the hausa community living in jos?didnt they come out and condeme the governments decision? they have made begging an inert behaviour else why is it that an average hausa man will just give birth to a child and send him begging all in the name of sending him to learn or study the koran(almagiranchi)? i just doesnt make sense. am a core northener so i know very well what am saying when i say the people are very very closed minded and dont want development and sustainable change. when they told them to bring their children out for polio immunization what did they say? instead of the government of the northern states going after things that will ensure a better living for their people they will rather cling onto meaningless ventures like hisba and banning women from riding on motor bike(going or achaba) all in the name of installing sharia.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Uche2nna(m): 12:04am On Dec 31, 2006
Begging is not exclusive to the northern part of Nigeria but then it is safe to say that the majority of beggers that we have in Nigeria comes from that area of the country. Even tho I lived in the north I cant say I know Islam that well to say whether it encourages or discourages begging.But then the concept of the almajiri is an Islamic thing (I stand to be corrected) whereby young boys leave thier fathers home and go and live with one mallam who teaches them the Quaran. It is a good way of scholarship but then it breeds panhandling because the first property these young boys own are plates used for begging for alms. I feel sympathetic to them cos they are always ill fed,hungry, and poorly clothed.I always feel they could do better in their father's houses.

And while we are on the subject, I would also add that their presence is one of the major reasons why it is very easy to begin religious riots in most of these northern states. They are always there to be manipulated by mischieveous elements operating in the guise of Islam. And U wont blame these young boys cos they know no better.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by McKren(m): 10:29pm On Dec 31, 2006
the nothern elites keep on blind folding and impoverishing the masses so that when election or census comes they will brainwaish them with religous sentiments to influence votes and other associated things. So as to have the upper hand in politics of Nigeria.
The pathetic side is that the poor masses have nothing to benefit from the whole process yet they refuse to stop listening to their deceptive leaders.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by shahan(f): 8:43pm On Jan 07, 2007
davidylan:

That's simply the answer!
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by kimba(m): 10:32pm On Jan 08, 2007
Begging is a Northern pride.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jan 09, 2007
poverty is a terrible thing.
Many Nigerians beg,how about the custom officers at the airports or the policemen at check points,they may not be carrying plates but they are beggars nonetheless.

This issue should be of concern to us all,it goes beyond just religion,we need serious heavenly intervention in Nigeria.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by LoverBwoy(m): 12:01am On Jan 10, 2007
wow!! thats the first non-religious post ive seen by ^^^
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:27am On Jan 10, 2007
LoverBwoy:

wow!! thats the first non-religious post ive seen by ^^^

what is that supposed to mean Mr lover lover
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by donguji: 3:25am On Jan 10, 2007
mr. mazaje or whatever u call ur name!!! don't make stupid comments like linking islam with begging, even a man with the slowest brain knows it is a result of poverty, it is like saying the armed robberies, 419, prostitution is a christian thing because majority of the culprits are from the south, i can tell u it is better to beg in poverty than be a criminal, so shut up!!!!
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 10, 2007
Then again when a man has his hands chopped off (in the spirit of sharia ) for a petty crime,what other professions can he pursue in Nigeria?
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by LoverBwoy(m): 1:07pm On Jan 11, 2007
certainly not the same proffession that got him where he is  grin
people born without hands shouldnt be encouraged to beg should they?
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by mazaje(m): 3:26pm On Jan 11, 2007
@donguji

U shut the Bleep up. we all know that all those almajiris wont be there if not for islam's sake. they are busy begging and causing trouble all in the name of learning the ways of the koran. armed robbery in nigeria has nothing to do with the people of the south the northerner are into it to so also is prostitution and what ever societal problem we have.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Mamajama(m): 9:49pm On Jan 11, 2007
illiteracy is every where in Nigeria not just the north abeg. The government has to take action to curb this infiltration.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:38am On Jan 12, 2007
LoverBwoy:

certainly not the same proffession that got him where he is grin
people born without hands shouldnt be encouraged to beg should they?

How cold!!!
I see you doing the chopping off.
Wait until it hits home,you may think you're safe,your relatives are not.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:06am On Jan 12, 2007
How can a place with 75+ million people have the lowest number of people applying to university? 22,675 for the North as a whole while only the South East has 41,126 applicants?

What are the rest of the people doing?. . . Begging due to poverty. Why they refuse to go to school and get ahead?. . . undecided
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:10am On Jan 12, 2007
Donzman:

What are the rest of the people doing?. . . Begging due to poverty. Why they refuse to go to school and get ahead?. . . undecided

Education has not been zoned to the north yet!
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:16am On Jan 12, 2007
Oh, so not only do they not want to beg for money on the streets, they want to get for university admission?. . . grin

The begging runs in the blood I conclude. cheesy

Aboki Sannu!
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by phoenixman: 2:32am On Jan 12, 2007
Donzman. Is Tertiary education free in Nigeria?
I believe the point Davidylan was making is poverty beget mendicancy
and if one is poor the chances of going to a University is slim.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:59am On Jan 12, 2007
@Phoenixman

I was born and I spent sometime in Sokoto. The literacy rate is much more than poverty, it is due to their approach to life in general. You think all these Anambrarians you see enrolling in schools are millionaires? some of them are struggling to make ends meet but they have to think about the future.

If you have 75 million people, you should be well represented in schools even if 10% of your population can afford it?. . . Are you saying that more than 90% of Northerners can't afford an education?

Actually, the point Davidylan is making is this ; he's ridiculing the idea that education should be zoned. That is, specific quotas for applicants from specific areas. There was a thread on it a while back, it's basically an affirmative action program for Northerners. Such a thing isn't right unless there's a way you can justify that Northerners have been oppressed over the years, which isn't true.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by venusmaze: 3:01am On Jan 12, 2007
anyway i dont know why there are many beggers from the north but i do know many here need to spend a day or two in their shoes first.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:13am On Jan 12, 2007
venusmaze:

anyway i don't know why there are many beggers from the north but i do know many here need to spend a day or two in their shoes first.

Why are they in those shoes to begin with?. . .That is the real issue here. We do know they cannot claim oppression because we know the people who are being exploited in Nigeria and they are the farthest away from the North.

If poverty is the reason why there are so many beggars, then we have to find out why they are that poor and why they see begging as the only way out. Education, business innovation are things poor people do to get out of poverty, begging doesn't solve the problem.

Just being analytical here, you can't throw poverty out as the answer because there's something that's causing that poverty. There are things that's preventing them from doing what normal individuals do in all countries of the world to get away from poverty. They're not the only poor people in Nigeria, Southerners are incredibly poor too but they're not predisposed to begging.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by phoenixman: 4:26am On Jan 12, 2007
Donzman. ouch!!! you have just publicly stated that Northerners are predisposed(meaning that its genetic) to beg. If that is the case then you should not be harsh in your criticism, as they have no control over their behaviour. tongue
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Uche2nna(m): 4:40am On Jan 12, 2007
I dont believe that begging is as a result of genetic constitution (I wonder how can that be) but rather I think it is thier orientation both in terms of tradition and religion that is making them to be predisposed to the art of panhandling. One of the 5 pillars of Islam is alms giving (aka Sadaka) and these guys are taking it to the extreme.

Take the case of these people from Niger. Those guys beg with all impunity. They seem to believe that begging is thier right and it is ur duty to give to them once they "condescend" to seek alms from you. Most of them will scorn at U if U try to offer them some work. Yet they claim that it is famine that drove them from Niger to Nigeria. However that does not stop them from having kids,,,,,beautiful ones if I may add grin
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:02am On Jan 12, 2007
phoenixman:

Donzman. ouch!!! you have just publicly stated that Northerners are predisposed(meaning that its genetic) to beg. If that is the case then you should not be harsh in your criticism, as they have no control over their behaviour. tongue

Nahh, it's not genetics. It could be religion, upbringing, I really do not know. Some of them actually work hard but I don't understand why the case is different for others. Some Northerners are top custom clearing agents and appreciate the idea of business, others are willing to throw an open hand.

@Uche2nna

Oh boy, you need to stop eyeing that Maiguard daughter. grin
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Uche2nna(m): 5:54am On Jan 12, 2007
Shit!!!! Did I let that out? grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari, Atiku, Tinubu Join Forces Against Yar’adua / Breaking: Fierce Battle Between Nigerian Troops And Boko Haram Ongoing In Kondug / Lowest Of Low. Gej's Campaign Says 'NIGERIA IS FINISHED'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.